IC: Perception [Everyone]

There are things that exist outside the range of human perceptions; things known only to those terrible beings who dwell between the stars and beneath the earth. We have always passed by them without notice. They have always extended us the same courtesy. And those unfortunate few who have seen, and have been seen? We call them mad.

But they have merely awakened a higher form of sight.

It is the Spring of 1928 in Arkham. And people all over Southside are waking up, setting the stage for the rise of an ancient power.

Moderator: Kadael

royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: IC: Perception [Brewster/Henry/Peter]

Post by royya »

Peter tries to follow the butterfly with his eyes, not paying attention to the eyeless man. If the butterfly is gone, Peter will search more closely at the patch of flowers, even digging a little bit with his shoe.

Spot Hidden [59%] (1d100=79) – Fail.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Quinch
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by Quinch »

Brewster reacts with a start as the man starts destroying the flower beds.

"What are you doing?" he shouts. "Get off!"

He glares at the police that are supposed to be restraining the lunatic.
Spot Hidden,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3516972/]Spot Hidden: 65% (1d100=25)[/url]
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Kadael »

Peter,There is nothing in the flower patch but grass, soil, and a sad display of torn stems. The butterfly is nowhere to be seen.
"No, no, no," the man mumbles, pushing himself to his feet. By the sound of his voice, if he could cry, tears would be spilling down his face.

"Green, what the hell are you doing?" Sergeant Willem snaps, gesturing at the officer who just spoke. "Just because he wasn't smashing things doesn't mean you shouldn't have given him the bracelets! He tore through his straitjacket, for God's sake, and now look!"

"I - yes, of course, I..." Green runs forward, fumbling with a pair of handcuffs. The eyeless man doesn't struggle or resist as his arms are shoved behind his back, though he doesn't loosen his grip on the flowers.
Brewster,A little white butterfly catches [b]Brewster's[/b] eye, flying higher and higher. The real question is why this man is so preoccupied with a butterfly, especially one that he shouldn't be able to see.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry turns at the commotion. "I didn't even notice he got loose again," he says.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Quinch
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Quinch »

Brewster points upwards at a tiny white shape flitting around in the sky. He shakes his head in dismay and disbelief.

"Why is he pointing at the butterfly?" he asks, voice trembling. "How can he see it? What the hell is going on here?"

Brewster rushes over to the nearest academic and grabs him by the shoulders.

"Tell me what's going on," he bawls into Henry's face. "Is this a government experiment?"
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Quinch wrote:Brewster points upwards at a tiny white shape flitting around in the sky. He shakes his head in dismay and disbelief.

"Why is he pointing at the butterfly?" he asks, voice trembling. "How can he see it? What the hell is going on here?"

Brewster rushes over to the nearest academic and grabs him by the shoulders.

"Tell me what's going on," he bawls into Henry's face. "Is this a government experiment?"
Where? I lost the butterfly ...
Peter says to Brewster and calls out to the eyeless man.
How can you see for god's sake?
The incident get interesting as the moment pass on, like one of the thriller books that he read in the past year.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I suspect you know more than I do," Henry says to Brewster, stepping back in alarm. "Why would you think this was a government experiment? That makes no more sense than any of what's happened. Perhaps you should have a word with the men from the Sanitarium when they arrive."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

The unnamed officer stifles a giggle at Brewster's outburst. Sergeant Willem glares at him, and he pretends it was a cough.

"Government what now?" The doctor raises an eyebrow, then looks at his watch, mumbling about "ethical ramifications" and "really, the idea" before snapping to attention. "I've a lecture to prepare for; I ought to be going."
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry checks his watch. "That reminds me," he says, "I have my own lecture coming up soon."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Quinch
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Quinch »

Brewster glares around, obviously unconvinced.

"So you're all just walking away?" he snarls. "Men with no eyes that can see better than any of us? Butterflies and flowers and blood everywhere?"

He spins around, incredulous.

"There's something funny going on and I mean to find out what it is. This is my university and I am responsible for what goes on."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Believe me, I'm puzzled and curious too," says Henry. "It's not possible for a man with no eyes to see, and yet he seems to be doing it. But I cannot be late for my own class."
OOC,How much time do I have before the lecture?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Quinch
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Quinch »

"None of this makes any sense," says Brewster, almost plaintively. "It looks like he knew where the butterfly was and they don't make much noise, so as stupid as it sounds, maybe he can see it. He saw the flowers. That means, if we do think he can see where he's going, that he likely wasn't at this here window by mistake. So what is it that's inside, that he wants?"

Brewster pauses and thinks for a few seconds before he shrugs and blurts out his plan. "So what I'm thinking is, err, well, if he wants something inside the room, maybe we should take him inside and see just what he's after."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think I know what he was looking for in there," says Henry. "Me. I was in the room on the other side of the window, preparing for my lecture. When I came outside, he seemed to be looking right at me, as well as the rest of us, even though he has no eyes."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

I can swear he glanced into my eyes as well.
Peter, the librarian, remarks as he waits for the eyeless man answer to his previous question.
Quinch
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Quinch »

"Well," says Brewster, stroking his stubbly chin. "I don't recall him looking at me in any kind of way, so what is it about you two that he wants, I wonder."

He glares at the two academics with a look of distrust. "Is he known to either of you? What is his name anyway?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've never seen him before in my life," says Henry. "I've no idea who he is or why he is interested in us. But nobody else was in that room with me, and I don't think there's anything else in there that would attract his attention. At this point we can only speculate, though. The only way to know what he wants is to ask him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Henry,You have roughly ten minutes before the lesson.
"Is that your window?" The doctor looks at Henry, then at the smear of blood, and frowns. "I am so sorry; windows are crucial."

With that last comment, he leaves.

Within seconds of his departure, the ambulance comes trundling down the road. The eyeless man says nothing, not even strange mutterings; he is totally silent as he cranes his neck to "see" his handcuffs.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, that's my window," says Henry as the doctor walks away. He decides he has enough time to stick around until the ambulance takes the man away and watches to see if anything else interesting happens.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Peter stays as well, looking around what is happening.
So ... that was strange right ?
He says to Henry
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That...is an understatement," says Henry. "Light has some unusual properties, to be sure, but there is no way a man with no eyes can see it. Not visible light, anyway. We can't see into the infrared range of the spectrum either, but we can feel the heat it gives off. Still, how much heat does a butterfly emit?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “In a Different Light”