CHAP 4a: OOC - Late Additions

Moderator: Job

Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

CHAP 4a: OOC - Late Additions

Post by Job »

This thread is for all side discussions and rolling of dice for the "Late Additions" IC thread.

For any new members, Here is my official WELCOME to you! James Starkweather will have his own welcoming. 8-)

Good luck and Godspeed!
Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: CHAP 4a: OOC - Late Additions

Post by Anatomist »

Nice writeup seon ;)
~Bony End of Story~
Seon
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Seon »

Ranting. It is the only thing that I am good at.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Yes! Nice! Now I just have to figure out how to respond...

8-)

And I kinda like where it's going!

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

Katie easily makes her way to Panama. It isn't difficult, as there are plenty of landmarks to follow. Crossing the Atlantic Ocean would be more of a challenge, but it has been done before, by Charles Lindbergh in 1927 and Amelia Earhart the following year, followed by others. The sort of challenge she is interested in is one that has never been done before. She intends to be not only the first woman to fly over those Antarctic mountains, but the first - period.
OOC,On what day do I arrive in Panama, and on what day is the Gabrielle due to reach port?
Hello Mr. Handy,

What location is Katie starting from? Is she in Ohio, where she went to college?

The Gabrielle is expected to arrive on the Atlantic side of Panama on September 19th at Colón, but is not expected to stop there. It will take a day for the ship to work its way through the canal to Panama City, where it is expected to stop to pick up supplies.

Job.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, Katie left from Dayton, Ohio, where she lives. Her plan is to fly over the Gabrielle and give her demonstration as the ship approaches the Atlantic coast of Panama. She then intends to introduce herself when the Gabrielle docks in Panama City.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:Yes, Katie left from Dayton, Ohio, where she lives. Her plan is to fly over the Gabrielle and give her demonstration as the ship approaches the Atlantic coast of Panama. She then intends to introduce herself when the Gabrielle docks in Panama City.
OK, that should work fine. I plan to move the "At Sea" storyline along another 3 or 4 days this week which will put us right at the 19th. When you see the Sept 19th date arrive, I'll be expecting a fun display of piloting skills. 8-) Just in case you're preoccupied elsewhere, I'll send you a PM.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Hello Mr. Handy,

I did a bit of research about aviation in the early 1930's (for other reasons than just looking into Katie's adventure...), and I found a few details that were interesting. If you decide to do a little roleplaying while waiting for the SS Gabrielle during the next week (realtime), this might help you. I know that you have other games going, so feel free to ignore this if you're not planning to do anything further until the Gabrielle nears Panama.

Katie's airplane could probably attain an average speed of approximately 100 miles per hour (an average for small aircraft at that time), provided that she was not fighting a headwind. Small aircraft at that time could hold enough fuel to safely fly for approximately 6 to 8 hours, not including a 15% reserve capacity for emergencies, unless Katie had special modifications made to her airplane to add larger fuel tanks.

The distance from Ohio to the Panama Canal is approximately 4,000 miles to fly primarily over land, so if Katie flew during the day, this would be approximately a 40 hour flight, or potentially 4 days with at least one refueling stop every day. If Katie chooses to cross over water in the Gulf of Mexico, then she could trim her flight, but probably could only shave a half day off the total while risking problems over water.

There weren't many airports around during the 1930's (the first one in the US is believed to have been developed by one of the Wright Brothers in 1909) so Katie would probably need to occasionally land in a cornfield or grassy area near a petrol station. Most airports in the 1930's were just starting to install runway lighting during that decade, so Katie would need to be careful NOT to require a landing at night, if possible.

I don't know if this will help, but I thought that it was interesting side information. ;)
Job.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, that is interesting and helpful. The Lockheed Vega has a crusing speed of 170 miles per hour and a range of 550 miles according to the 1920s Investigator's Companion, so I should arrive late on the morning of the third day of my journey. I'd need to land and refuel a couple of times during each day's flight, and again after I call it a day. I wouldn't bother cutting across the Gulf, as there's no real rush. Katie will take risks, but not unnecessary ones.

The first airport did indeed open in 1909, in College Park, Maryland, and it's been continuously operating since then. I know because I've been there (two years ago, when they celebrated their centennial), and my brother-in-law used to work there.

I would like to do some roleplaying in Panama while I'm waiting for the Gabrielle, and I should have more time on the weekend. Am I supposed to just make something up, or should I wait for you to arrange an encounter as you did for Ernest?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:Thanks, that is interesting and helpful. The Lockheed Vega has a crusing speed of 170 miles per hour and a range of 550 miles according to the 1920s Investigator's Companion, so I should arrive late on the morning of the third day of my journey. I'd need to land and refuel a couple of times during each day's flight, and again after I call it a day. I wouldn't bother cutting across the Gulf, as there's no real rush. Katie will take risks, but not unnecessary ones.

The first airport did indeed open in 1909, in College Park, Maryland, and it's been continuously operating since then. I know because I've been there (two years ago, when they celebrated their centennial), and my brother-in-law used to work there.

I would like to do some roleplaying in Panama while I'm waiting for the Gabrielle, and I should have more time on the weekend. Am I supposed to just make something up, or should I wait for you to arrange an encounter as you did for Ernest?
Very nice research on the Lockheed Vega! And also on the 1909 airport in Maryland! A picture of Katie's airplane in the IC thread would be VERY cool!

If you choose to roleplay some of Katie's trip to Panama, I will simply jump in with details, rolls that you might need to make (i.e. weather, local interest, etc.), and will provide some "color", or events, that Katie would interact with; most--if not all-- of this may not be mythos-related, but perhaps simply interacting with some overagressive local population in Southern US, or Mexico. There are also a few side-events going on that are related to the Starkweather-Moore expedition (based on news reports and publicity) that I may be able to tie into your trip depending on how you play it out.

With Ernest's character, I simply ran with an opening that he left in his story and it's turned into a nice side journey. With Katie, I would do the same. What I would weave into your tale will depend on how you describe Katies' actions, trip details, landing areas, and eventual arrival in Panama. In other words, I offer you as much freedom as you'd like to generate Katie's tale and trip, and I'll jump in where it seems like it would be fun, and together we'll produce a nice backdrop for her entry into the tale. If you write something that seems to conflict somehow with the main BtMoM story, then I'll let you know, and you should also feel free to let me know when I write something that doesn't really fit with Katie's persona or actions. We'll edit as we go along to tighten things up.

Timing wise, you may have noticed that the SS Gabrielle is now only 2 days from Colon, Panama, which is where you're planning for Katie to perform her daring maneuver. I have a few story elements to describe between now and then, so I'm guessing that in about 4 or 5 days real-time, you should be ready for describing Katies grand entrance.

Thanks!
Job.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Munches Popcorn.

So, uh, what is inside the casket?
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seon wrote:Munches Popcorn.

So, uh, what is inside the casket?
Aww, I guess that it's time to add to my description. I was just letting the suspense linger for a while. 8-)

Job.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Ernest may require some answers from the seaman on how to get to the boat :).

Err...I meant to post this on the OOC thread for Chapter 5.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seon wrote:Ernest may require some answers from the seaman on how to get to the boat :).

Err...I meant to post this on the OOC thread for Chapter 5.
Done! Thanks -- Job.

Return to “Archive - Completed Chapters”