CHAP 4a: IC - Late Additions

Moderator: Job

Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

CHAP 4a: IC - Late Additions

Post by Job »

OOC - This thread will serve as the In Character area for playing out the preliminary stories of any explorers who join the expedition after the U.S.S. Gabrielle has departed from New York City.

When we've figured a general outline, here is where we'll see the start of the stories for:
  • Katie Wright - Mr. Handy's pilot
  • Ernest Roosevelt - Seon's writer/explorer
Seon
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Late Additions - IC

Post by Seon »

Panama

"Okay," Ernest said. "If you drool on my cards again, you WILL be disqualified."

"Two, three, four, four, five. Is that a straight?"

"No, that's two pair. What do you have?"

"Oh no, why did I wager all my chips in this? I am going to be broke."

"That's a real shame," Ernest said. "I really liked you, pal."

"I got a pair of fives."

"Can I take some of it back?"

"Leave the darn chips where they are!"

"Is Aces high or low in this game?"

"Both," Ernest said, sighing. "It's POKER, damn it."

"POKER?! I THOUGHT WE WERE PLAYING GIN RUMMY!"

"FOR THE LAST TIME, YOU CAN'T PLAY GIN RUMMY WITH 5 PLAYERS, MICHAEL!"

"Could we finish the game please?" Ernest said, yawning. "By the way, gang, I got a full-"

"Ernest!" said a man as he barged into the game. "Did you hear?"

"...got a full house. What is it?"

"They say that an expedition to Antarctica is coming through here," the man said. "That something you interested in?"

"Antarctica?" Ernest smirked. "What's there to see?"

"Who the hell knows?" the man shrugged. "Just thought that you should know," the man walked away.

"Bye, Lyles," Ernest said. "Well then, I will be taking the chips. And the cards. I have to go somewhere."

"Oh Come on, Ernest," said Michael. "Whatcha gonna do?"

"Write a letter," Ernest said.

"You are going to Antarctica?"

"You have to admit there's some glamor in going there," Ernest mused. "I'll see you gentlemen again."
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seon wrote:"You are going to Antarctica?"

"You have to admit there's some glamor in going there," Ernest mused. "I'll see you gentlemen again."
"Ain't no glamor in dyin' on the ice," Ernest heard raspy, sandpaper voice say behind him as he turned to exit the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Job wrote:"Ain't no glamor in dyin' on the ice," Ernest heard raspy, sandpaper voice say behind him as he turned to exit the room.
"Ain't no glamor in dyin' in the jungles either," Ernest retorted. "And the desert. And the mountains. And the forests. And the city. Actually, there seems to be no glamor in dying anywhere by my opinion. Why do you care?"
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Re: CHAPTER 4a: IC - Late Additions

Post by Seon »

Dear Mr. Starkweather

I have heard of your expedition to the Antarctics and wish to join this wonderous opportunity. It is not often that one receives a chance to explore this continent of snow, untouched by man.

I would like to think of myself as an experienced explorer, having wandered through the dense jungles of South America, the deserts of Africa, and the fields of India. However, I must admit that I have never had the chance to experience the frigid and lifeless terrain that is sure to await us in the Antarctics. I am, however, glad that we will at least encounter none of the dangerous predatory animals of other lands in such a barren ground.

If you are interested, please send a wire back to Panama. I will board your ship once you reach the port there.

Sincerely, Ernest Roosevelt.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seon wrote:"Ain't no glamor in dyin' in the jungles either," Ernest retorted. "And the desert. And the mountains. And the forests. And the city. Actually, there seems to be no glamor in dying anywhere by my opinion. Why do you care?"
"'Don't care a whit!" said the grizzled man sitting in the corner, "But I reck'n you might, ye young mooncalf!. Spent a fair peck a' time on whalers down south, I have, and been 'low the Sixties! I seen things. Things that'd freeze yer blood worse than the cold'll."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seon wrote:Dear Mr. Starkweather

I have heard of your expedition to the Antarctics and wish to join this wonderous opportunity. It is not often that one receives a chance to explore this continent of snow, untouched by man.

I would like to think of myself as an experienced explorer, having wandered through the dense jungles of South America, the deserts of Africa, and the fields of India. However, I must admit that I have never had the chance to experience the frigid and lifeless terrain that is sure to await us in the Antarctics. I am, however, glad that we will at least encounter none of the dangerous predatory animals of other lands in such a barren ground.

If you are interested, please send a wire back to Panama. I will board your ship once you reach the port there.

Sincerely, Ernest Roosevelt.
Wire from U.S.S. Gabrielle wrote:E. Roosevelt:
  • U.S.S. Gabrielle to resupply at Panama City on 20th.
    Interview 7am at ship. Be ready.

Starkweather.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Katie Wright wrote: DEAR MISTER STARKWEATHER STOP HIGHLY SKILLED AND EXPERIENCED PILOT REQUESTING TO JOIN ANTARCTIC EXPEDITION STOP AS EXCITED BY PROSPECT AS YOU STOP YOUNG VERY HEALTHY AND STRONG STOP ALSO COMPETENT MECHANIC AND SKILLED CLIMBER STOP DOUGLAS HALPERIN CAN ACT AS REFERENCE STOP WILL FLY TO PANAMA TO MEET EXPEDITION STOP PLEASE REPLY EARLIEST CONVENIENCE STOP SINCERELY K WRIGHT
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Seon wrote:I guess I should pack some blindfolds to protect myself against getting such a chill, then," Ernest said. "And some earplugs to make sure. But I jest. Could you tell me what you saw?"
The man leaned over, peered down into his cup and said, "M'throat's a might dry... Mayhaps a fresh pint'd help that?" He lifted his gaze back to you with a wry smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Katie Wright wrote: DEAR MISTER STARKWEATHER STOP HIGHLY SKILLED AND EXPERIENCED PILOT REQUESTING TO JOIN ANTARCTIC EXPEDITION STOP AS EXCITED BY PROSPECT AS YOU STOP YOUNG VERY HEALTHY AND STRONG STOP ALSO COMPETENT MECHANIC AND SKILLED CLIMBER STOP DOUGLAS HALPERIN CAN ACT AS REFERENCE STOP WILL FLY TO PANAMA TO MEET EXPEDITION STOP PLEASE REPLY EARLIEST CONVENIENCE STOP SINCERELY K WRIGHT
Wire from USS Gabrielle wrote:K. Write:
  • D. Halperin reference confirmed.
    No hairdressers or boutiques in Antarctica.
    Request denied.

Starkweather.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Job wrote:
  • D. Halperin reference confirmed.
    No hairdressers or boutiques in Antarctica.
    Request denied.

Starkweather.
Job. (the tortured one)
Katie Wright wrote:NO HAIRDRESSERS OR BOUTIQUES NEEDED STOP PUT ME TO THE TEST AND I WILL PROVE MYSELF STOP I DO NOT GIVE UP STOP K WRIGHT
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Katie Wright wrote:NO HAIRDRESSERS OR BOUTIQUES NEEDED STOP PUT ME TO THE TEST AND I WILL PROVE MYSELF STOP I DO NOT GIVE UP STOP K WRIGHT
  • Admire persistance but regret cannot handhold on ice.
    Suggest seek tranquil pleasant environments.
    Time short - further requests ignored.

Starkweather.
Job. (the tortured one)
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Seon wrote:The man leaned over, peered down into his cup and said, "M'throat's a might dry... Mayhaps a fresh pint'd help that?" He lifted his gaze back to you with a wry smile.
"Do I look like a man who would carry a lot of money around?" Ernest said. He sat from the table across from the man and pulled out his wallet.

"Tell you what. Tell me the story first. If it is interesting, I buy you a drink. If it's total bullshit but funny, exciting, or scary, I also buy you a drinks. If it's bullshit and it's a story about giant phallic shaped object destroyinig your ship by tearing a hole on the side, you get nothing."

Ernest blinked. "Alright, a maybe a drink on the last one. But you better be straightforward with me on this."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ohhh, that man!" snarls Katie to herself when she receives Starkweather's second telegram. "Nobody tells me I can't do something! I'll show him!" She nods to herself. "I'll fly down to Panama anyway and prove what I can do. Once everyone sees it, nobody will be able to deny how qualified I am."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seon wrote:"Do I look like a man who would carry a lot of money around?" Ernest said. He sat from the table across from the man and pulled out his wallet.

"Tell you what. Tell me the story first. If it is interesting, I buy you a drink. If it's total bullshit but funny, exciting, or scary, I also buy you a drinks. If it's bullshit and it's a story about giant phallic shaped object destroying your ship by tearing a hole on the side, you get nothing."

Ernest blinked. "Alright, a maybe a drink on the last one. But you better be straightforward with me on this."
The man narrowed his eyes, saying, "Shrewd one, y'are, but I'll only tell ye half the tale. Th'other half'll cost ye that drink!

He waited for Ernest to nod in agreement, then continued.

"We were head'd South on the Larsen, a fine ship with 5 cutters followin', y' see. Trackin' a pack a' humpers down ner the icepack. Caught 'n flensed a good six er so in a week, then hed to foller th'rest inta th'ice. Ice wern't yet solid, so we cud do it, but the cold set in next day. Were blocked fer a week, we were.

He then leaned in to continue telling Ernest his story in confidence, in a whisper, and Ernest's nose was assaulted by a foul combination of cheap whiskey, rancid meat, and sweat. "T'was on one a those nights that we seen it. Weren't nothin' a this earth! 'N we had no likker, so weren't no drunk seein' it! It was bad." He looked down at the table, shaking his head. "'N it took Gabe that night. We all sawr it."

The man was visibly shaking at this point, and Ernest had a hard time telling whether it from his lack of drink or from his fear. After a long pause, the man looked into Ernest's eyes and said, "I c'd use that drink now..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Ernest blinked. "Very well, HEY! A drink here, please."

"Now tell me what you saw..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Katie quickly makes plans, putting together a list of what she'll need for the expedition and buying whatever she lacks, then packing her gear and loading it into her Lockheed Vega airplane. Normally it can hold six passengers, but since she's flying solo, there is plenty of room for cargo. She knows that she can easily fly to Panama ahead of the Gabrielle and arrive in plenty of time to prepare for the show that she plans for the ship's arrival.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seon wrote:Ernest blinked. "Very well, HEY! A drink here, please."

"Now tell me what you saw..."
When he took his glass of whiskey from the barmaid, you could see his hands trembling. He gulped down half with a frown, and eventually began again.

"I was on watch wi' Gabe. Thet night was clear n' I cud see stars like di'monds. No moon. Was so cold thet night me spit froze afore it hit the deck. No wind. Th'only sound was th'ice crackin' and grindin' e'er so of'n. Was a queer night."

He took another drink, slower this time, being careful that he didn't spill any.

"I heard it above. A whistlin'. Weren't no wind, I tol' Gabe. He laughed n' said I was daft. We waited. I heard it agin n' jumped up. Gabe heard it too this time n' he jumped too! We looked about fer a bit. But th'only light we had was from our lamps... N' thet was not much. Not enough, nearly."

Another drink. A long pause. The man rubbed the back of his head.

"Was a bad night," he said, his voice low, and then drained his glass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: CHAP 4a: IC - Late Additions

Post by Mr. Handy »

The following morning, Katie heads down to the airfield, loads her plane with her luggage, and prepares for takeoff, making sure to check the aircraft thoroughly before she does. Once she is ready, she opens the throttle and heads down the runway, lifting off into the sky and turning south, heading for Panama.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Re: CHAP 4a: IC - Late Additions

Post by Seon »

"Interesting," Ernest muttered.

"Come on then," he said in the best calming voice, searching the body language of the man. Fear wasn't the response that he had expected from this kind of a man, and the story now suddenly piqued his interest. "Tell me what happened next."
Spoiler:
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3269202/. 1d100: 49. Psychoanalysis: 50.

Return to “Archive - Completed Chapters”