CHAPTER 4: IC - Departure

Moderator: Job

Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Father P.J. Rucker

Post by Job »

Royya wrote:Nada, nothing on the news. Remark Rucker, placing the newspaper on Prof. Moore' desk. Could be arson or accident, I never knew there was another ship.

He looks again at the newspaper.

Miss Lexington expedition, what do we know about them, who are the scientists over there?
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Re: CHAPTER 4: IC - Departure

Post by Job »

Royya wrote:Once back to Shore and with the promise of Prof. Moore to handle his joining to the expedition, Father Rucker will bring his stuff from the hotel to his new cabin.
Upon his return to the docks, luggage in tow, Father Rucker spent a half hour attempting to convince policemen and a security guard that he was to be allowed onto the USS Gabrielle. A runner was sent to speak with Professor Moore and returned word that Father Rucker was indeed to be permitted aboard, to await within the ship's mess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Øyvind Raknes - Sled Driver

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:'shhhh' 'shhh' 'rolig nå skattene mine' 'shhh' 'shhh'
Translation:
Spoiler:
'Calm down my treasures'
(OOC: Handle Animal (1d20+9=18))
The dogs are clearly upset about something and, although they quiet down for Øyvind, they continue pacing and whining.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Royya wrote:Nada, nothing on the news. Remark Rucker, placing the newspaper on Prof. Moore' desk. Could be arson or accident, I never knew there was another ship.

He looks again at the newspaper.

Miss Lexington expedition, what do we know about them, who are the scientists over there?
Father Rucker remembers meeting Martin LeBlanc, the expedition's journalist, on deck just before Martin sacrificed his body to save the female pilot. It occurs to the priest that perhaps Martin has some information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Royya wrote:Father Rucker goes to meet Martin, after introducing himself, he'll ask him about the other ship.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Martin LeBlanc's Puppeteer wrote:
Royya wrote:Father Rucker goes to meet Martin, after introducing himself, he'll ask him about the other ship.
OOC: What do I know/remember? It's been awhile...
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Martin LeBlanc's Puppeteer wrote:OOC: What do I know/remember? It's been awhile...
For Martin's Eyes Only:
Spoiler:
Here is a copy of the recent news article about Acacia Lexington's expedition.
Martin knows that there was a history of bad blood between James Starkweather and Acacia Lexington. He knows that James led an African safari with Acacia as a member, and apparently the expedition was successful, but something happened during the expedition (Martin is not aware of these details) that created a rift between the two individuals.

Also, below are copies of newspaper articles that resulted from Martin's investigations at the New York Times archives. Only Martin is currently aware of these articles.
Here is a link to the Chapter 1 In Character thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Øyvind Raknes - Sled Driver

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:Øyvind takes out one of his dogs in a rope and lets the dog guide him to the thing that makes them nervous.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Spoiler:
***NOTE: This is the point at which this thread was migrated from the EnWorld website. --Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seeking Martin LeBlanc, Father Rucker is directed to the infirmary where a number of injured and burned crewmembers are receiving treatment.

Dr. Greene points to Martin, who is lying on a cot in the corner, and then returns to his work.

Martin looks to be in very bad condition. He is lying on his side, his face half-wrapped in cloth bandages through which some areas of reddened scalp can be seen where his hair has been burned away. A large bandage covers his shoulders and back. His entire left arm and hand are wrapped like a mummy.

Martin appears to be awake, and as Father Rucker approaches, Martin slowly turns his head and gazes with watery eyes at the priest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Øyvind Raknes - Sled Driver

Post by Job »

Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind takes out one of his dogs in a rope and lets the dog guide him to the thing that makes them nervous.
The dog licks Øyvind and jumps around while being freed from the crate and attached to a rope. It then enthusiastically leads Øyvind around tweendeck hold #5, sniffing its way between the stored piles of wood. After searching the entire hold, it looks up at Øyvind, tilts its head, and patiently waits.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

Øyvind smiles at the big dog 'cluless are you' 'common lets take a walk' Øyvind goes to the hatch going down to lower hold#5 and will walk the lower holds towards the bow.
~Bony End of Story~
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Martin?
Father Rucker asks and waits for no confirmation from the man. He takes a sit beside Martin and takes out his praying book
Is it OK for me to sit beside you?
I’m father Rucker, a catholic priest and a close friend of Prof. Moore. Can I comfort you with a pray for now, to ease the pain from your soul.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:Øyvind smiles at the big dog 'cluless are you' 'common lets take a walk' Øyvind goes to the hatch going down to lower hold#5 and will walk the lower holds towards the bow.
Using the cage-and-pulley system that the dog team installed before departing NYC, Øyvind lowers "Chinook" down into the lower hold. **Chinook is quite happy to be out for a walk with Øyvind! He sniffs, twirls, jumps, runs, and playfully nips at Øyvind, but there isn't much room to investigate since the lower hold is packed tight with supplies to build the camp. Based on Chinook's behavior, Øyvind deduces that the dogs were simply upset with the explosions, alarms, and chaos.

** = Named after Commander Byrd's team's lead dog.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Martin groans a bit but looks up at the priest. "I hope your not here to give me my last rights?" He chuckled a bit at his own joke and quickly regretted it. "There maybe a time for prayers later, but for now my soul is fine, its my body that could use some help."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Father Rucker smiles and chants a short pray
Do you remember what happened?
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"What with the fire?" Martin responded. "Not much, just trying to be the dashing young hero to save the maiden. Didn't work out like I've seen in the picture shows."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Talking with a comforting voice Paul asks
Martin, what do you know about the Lexington expedition?
The one who wants to compete wuth the Starkweather’s and Moore’s voyage?
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Martin looks up at him a bit surprised, "You want to talk about this NOW?" he groans a bit. "Well, ok, not much to tell, I dug up some old articles on her from several years back. Seems her father died mysteriously. Police ruled it a suicide, she didn't believe them. Said it was about some old book."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

I’m trying to distract you from your pains and the horrible event
Paul Rucker replies with a smile
What book?

Return to “Archive - Completed Chapters”