CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > NYC to Panama

Moderator: Job

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > NYC to Panama

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, the feeling is mutual," says Katie with a smile. "It's good to see he isn't a complete recluse. Do the dog handlers ever let the dogs out of their cages at night and curl up with them during polar expeditions? That would keep both man and dog warm in the freezing cold."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by Job »

The officer responds, "That depends on where we are. While on the ship we confine the dogs in their kennel area and walk them on the main deck, but they're not allowed to run free. While in the Antarctic, once they're re-acclimatized, the dogs will be working most every day and will be allowed some freedom afterwards, but we generally keep them tied or penned up each night. The dog wranglers do not sleep with the dogs, though. Even when the sled teams are out, the dog wranglers sleep in their tents while the dogs sleep in the snow.

"Now, as far as our tour, there are very few areas that we have not discussed or visited. The lower hold number five, just below us, stores all of the wood for building the base camp, so there's not much to see down there. Just aft of this tweendeck hold is a lower bunk area for ship's crew members and, beyond that, at the very end of the level, is a compartment for the steering engine and rudder assembly. I could take you there if you'd like, but it's a very small triangular room that's rougly ten foot on each side, so it's very cramped and full of machinery.

"Do you have any further questions? If not, you've now seen all of the Gabrielle".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

While Katie wouldn't mind taking a look at the engine, as mechanical things interest her, she doesn't want to take up any more of Turlow's time, or the others who are with her on the tour. They'd never all fit in the engine compartment anyway. Besides, she'll probably get a chance to look at it at some point during the long sea voyage. "Thank you," she says. "I don't have any more questions."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:While Katie wouldn't mind taking a look at the engine, as mechanical things interest her, she doesn't want to take up any more of Turlow's time, or the others who are with her on the tour. They'd never all fit in the engine compartment anyway. Besides, she'll probably get a chance to look at it at some point during the long sea voyage. "Thank you," she says. "I don't have any more questions."
Officer Turlow sees the look of interest on Katie Wright's face when he mentions the steering mechanism chamber, and says, "Miss Wright, if you're truly interested in squeezing into the mechanism chamber, I'll take you there. It'll only take a moment. George and Ernest, you are welcome to join us in that cramped space if you're curious, otherwise you are free to go about your business."

Turlow leads Katie up to the main deck, then into the nearby aftercastle structure containing a number of three-person cabins. The officer explains that this area houses the engineering crew, stewards, storekeeper, carpenter, and a number of expedition members with less "pull". He opens a door on the right which leads to a steep wooden stairway down. "Below are more cabins and the entry to steering chamber."

After making a 180 degree turn at the bottom of the stairs, Paul Turlow opens a door at the back of the area. The steering engine chamber is a wide room with stout metal walls that lean outward, following the line of the hull. The air is warm and smells faintly of hot oil. The steering engine dominates the center of the room, a tall dark motor with four large steam pistons surrounded by a maze of smaller pipes. Steam conduits disappear into the floor to either side. Behind the engine is the rudder quadrant, a huge gleaming gear section which swings back and forth at chest height, turning the rudder and the ship. The entire assembly is hot and slightly oily.

Direct link to map image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Impressive," says Katie, looking in wonder at the machinery. "It's amazing that something so small can move something as enormous as the Gabrielle, but it's like Archimedes said: give me a lever and a place to stand, and I can move the world."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

George takes a short bow to Katie 'A wonderfull ship miss' 'i beg you pardon, but im going to my cabin to see if my reagents are ready for us' 'see you in the mess hall' whit that George leaves the group and walks towards his laboratory.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:George takes a short bow to Katie 'A wonderfull ship miss' 'i beg you pardon, but im going to my cabin to see if my reagents are ready for us' 'see you in the mess hall' whit that George leaves the group and walks towards his laboratory.
Mr. Handy wrote:"Impressive," says Katie, looking in wonder at the machinery. "It's amazing that something so small can move something as enormous as the Gabrielle, but it's like Archimedes said: give me a lever and a place to stand, and I can move the world."
The First Officer looks at Katie for moment, then shakes his head, smiling, and says, "You have a keen insight, Miss Wright. That's something that should prove very helpful when confronting the challenges that lie ahead.

It's been my pleasure to provide all of you today with a tour of our Grand Lady. We truly have inspected her from stem to stern, and I'm afraid that I also now must return to my regular duties. If any of you need me for anything, you can normally find me on the ship's bridge. If I'm not there, simply leave a message and I'll come find you."

Turlow switches off the small cluster lamp in the steering engine compartment, closes and locks the door, and motions for Katie to lead the way back to the main deck, "After you, Miss Wright."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Katie smiles back. "Thank you, First Officer Turlow," she says. "I look forward to meeting those challenges." She ascends the ladder and returns to the main deck.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Archive - Completed Chapters”