CHAPTER 2: IC - Death of a Sea Captain [George & Martin]

Moderator: Job

Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Re: CHAPTER 2: IC - Death of a Sea Captain [George Barrow]

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:'Lets change clothes at the ship inform Moore and Starkweather then we can go to the times' 'i remember that you was wanting to go to the Police station as well' George peeks out the window looking if they where getting near the pier.
Martin looks over at George and says, "Yes, we must see them immediately! Well, you're right, maybe after we change our clothes."

Looking in the rear view mirror, you see that that driver pulled his shirt up over his mouth and nose, almost as if he were trying to block the effects of inhaling a noxious gas.
Spoiler:
With the actions going on here in our campaign (simultaneously in real life time, but not for another few weeks in game time), I couldn't resist that comment! ;)
As the cab finally pulled up to the curb at Pier 74, the driver wrenched open his door and leaped from his seat, gasping for breath. "Out! Out you go now!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

'Hurry up Martin' 'lets go' George secures the evidence in his jacket and pockets walking resolute towards the pier gate showing his id to the guard 'Sorry Sir i dont stay for some small talk' 'i guess you can smell that we urge to change our clothes' George dont wait for a reply and walks on towards the ship.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Martin moved quickly alongside George, waving at the guard, then running down the dock and up the gangway to the Gabrielle's main deck. They checked in with the ship's Second Officer, Arthur Ballard, at the top of the gangway and hurriedly moved into the superstructure to their separate cabins.

After closing his cabin door, Martin stripped down naked. He was extremely happy to get out of his soiled clothing! I really need a shower, he thought to himself, but George will probably be waiting for me. He pulled on a fresh shirt and trousers, socks and his second pair of shoes, and sniffed at himself, grimacing. I do need a shower! He kicked his dirty clothes into a corner, expecting to take care of them later, and left his cabin to enter the central Ship's Mess area, looking for George.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

George hurries to his cabin looking on the way for any officer or crew member he crosses his way with Jack Whitney the Chief Steward 'Mr.Whitney' 'Please got Mr.Moore and tell him to meet me in my laboratory as fast he can, he is to get a grab on Starkweather if he can' 'Thank you Sir for the inconvenience'
At his cabin he grabs a clean set of clothes puts them in a bag and walks out again spotting Martin 'Martin hey follow me to the Lab' he dont stop for a reply, lost in thoughts and his feet just lead him to his lab.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:George hurries to his cabin looking on the way for any officer or crew member he crosses his way with Jack Whitney the Chief Steward 'Mr.Whitney' 'Please got Mr.Moore and tell him to meet me in my laboratory as fast he can, he is to get a grab on Starkweather if he can' 'Thank you Sir for the inconvenience'
At his cabin he grabs a clean set of clothes puts them in a bag and walks out again spotting Martin 'Martin hey follow me to the Lab' he dont stop for a reply, lost in thoughts and his feet just lead him to his lab.
Martin followed George out of Gabrielle's superstructure and across the main deck to the hatch for Tweendeck Hold number three. Professor Moore had given George his own key to access this hold which contained all of his equipment and non-hazardous chemicals. After George unlocked the hatch, Martin followed him down the ladder into the space which was crammed with supplies. He hurried after the scientist, moving through narrow aisles stacked with wooden crates, sacks, coiled rope and chains, and racks of small equipment, to finally end at a very small five-foot-by-five-foot area that George called "his lab".

Directly underneath one of the cluster lights that dangled from the ceiling, a row of wooden boxes were neatly labeled and carefully strapped to the top of a wooden table. Bound notebooks were wedged between the boxes and an adjacent rack of equipment. Additional wooden boxes, similarly labeled, were meticulously organized and stowed underneath. A chair was tucked into one of the few open corners.

"This is your lab?" queried Martin with a chuckle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:
"This is your lab?" queried Martin with a chuckle.
George looked at him as he did not understand what Martin just said. 'Martin do me a favor take those gloves over on and take a look at the evidence while i change clothes' 'maybe if you take a good look at it you can find out some more about them' George took off his clothes and grabbed a solution on the desk marked 98% 'I truly fear these microbes' 'this will deal with them' he then took a piece of cloth starting washing himself with the solution where he was exposed to the garbage. 'I hope Moore and Starkweather are on their ways...' 'they will go in for a surprise with these things we have gathered'
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Martin begins to sort through the stack of papers that George had "borrowed" from Captain Douglas' room, then happens to look up, noticing George's ablutions. "Hey, that's a swell idea! Do you have an extra cloth?"

About a minute later, Martin sees a dark shadow eclipse the light from the hatch above, and hears the tapping of footsteps down the metal ladder, followed by Professor Moore's echoing voice, "George? You have something for me?" The bespectacled professor, clipboard in hand, emerges from an aisle and walks towards George and Martin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

'If we have dear doctor' 'we got many many clues to dig trough' 'you need to see this' George starts handing him the evidence explaining what they had deducted so far.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:'If we have dear doctor' 'we got many many clues to dig trough' 'you need to see this' George starts handing him the evidence explaining what they had deducted so far.
Professor Moore glances at the pile of papers and books and photos, then looks up at George and Martin, saying, "That's quite a collection, gentlemen! All of these were in Captain Douglas' room? I'm surprised that the police were willing to let you have these items!"

Martin responded by looking down at the floor and mumbling, "Yes, um, George was very persuasive."

Professor Moore looked skeptically at Martin, and said, "Yes... We won't soon be hearing from a detective, will we?" Then he began methodically studying the material and taking notes on his clipboard.

PHOTO OF TWO SHIPS
Professor Moore examined the photo of the two ships, the Arkham and the Miskatonic, and comments, "Yes, this photo was taken just before Captain Douglas left on the Miskatonic Expedition to Antarctica in 1930."

PHOTO OF TWO MEN
Moore studies the photo for a minute and says, "Hmm. One of these men is definitely Captain Douglas, and the other looks to be a relative of his. I believe that the Captain had a brother."

FIVE BOUND JOURNALS
The professor flipped through the pages of a few of the books, stating, "These are the Captain's logbooks from a number of his voyages. They probably contain a great deal of mundane details, but may also hold some clues and will require further study." He set them aside.

PAPERS AND LETTERS
Moore then began enthusiastically poring over the thick stack of papers in a similar fashion to how a ship's crewmen might wolf down a thick steak.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

PAPERS, LETTERS, PERSONAL EFFECTS
  • Moore examined the crumpled sheet of paper with the following handwritten note: "A. Lexington QB-0505".Several checkmarks are ticked next to the phone number.
    "Hmm," pondered the Professor. "What could Captain Douglas have wanted with Acacia Lexington?"
  • He stopped and studied the apparently unfinished letter from Captain Douglas to someone named Philip.
    After reading over this letter, Professor Moore looked up at the two men. "This is a letter from Captain Douglas' to his brother Philip. I find it quite disturbing, gentlemen, especially the fact that he had no intention of joining our expedition. He also mentions a German man who was following him."
    Direct link to image of the letter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

George reaches for some clean clothes and start pulling his pants on again. 'Well... we must find this Philip and ask him the connection between his brother and Acacia Lexington'
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

George reaches for some clean clothes and start pulling his pants on again. 'Well... we must find this Philip and ask him the connection between his brother and Acacia Lexington' 'We can start there... Or take that trip to the Police Station' George looks at Martin seeing if he gets any reaction out of him
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:George reaches for some clean clothes and start pulling his pants on again. 'Well... we must find this Philip and ask him the connection between his brother and Acacia Lexington' 'We can start there... Or take that trip to the Police Station' George looks at Martin seeing if he gets any reaction out of him
Martin hesitates and runs a hand through his hair, apparently in thought, and then looks at George, saying, "We could pay a visit to Miss Lexington. We can get her address from my contacts at the Times."

Professor Moore interrupts, "I would like you gentlemen to attend Captain Douglas' funeral. Commander Starkweather and I are planning to go. It's important for the expedition and its members to pay proper tribute to the man. Once it's over, you should be able to find an opportunity to take Philip aside for a private conversation."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:George reaches for some clean clothes and start pulling his pants on again. 'Well... we must find this Philip and ask him the connection between his brother and Acacia Lexington' 'We can start there... Or take that trip to the Police Station' George looks at Martin seeing if he gets any reaction out of him
Martin hesitates and runs a hand through his hair, apparently in thought, and then looks at George, saying, "We could pay a visit to Miss Lexington. We can get her address from my contacts at the Times."

Professor Moore interrupts, "I would like you gentlemen to attend Captain Douglas' funeral. Commander Starkweather and I are planning to go. It's important for the expedition and its members to pay proper tribute to the man. Once it's over, you should be able to find an opportunity to take Philip aside for a private conversation."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
'Good idea Martin' 'and yes Dr.Moore' 'i suspect that we might be lucky and find Miss.Lexington at the funeral' 'seems she had a deep conecction to Captain Doouglas' 'Dr.Moore when are the services?'
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

12:00 noon (EST) – Thursday 7th September, 1933

Professor Moore looks up from his note taking and says, "Captain Douglas' funeral is tomorrow morning at Saint Bridget Cemetery in Connecticut. Commander Starkweather and I plan to leave the docks at approximately five o'clock tomorrow morning as it will take over two hours to drive there.

"George and Martin, I need to show Captain Douglas' letter to the Commander. He also must know of your findings, so let us proceed to his cabin."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

'Let's go'
George puts on a clean coat and walks towards Starkweathers cabin
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

The three men walk into the owner's suite to find James Starkweather, clean-shaven and dressed in grey slacks and white collared shirt, reviewing a handful of papers in his hand while studying a large map of the Pacific hung on one of the room's dark wood-panelled walls. You notice that the map is decorated with white string that quite obviously traces the path of the S.S. Gabrielle, punctuated at the end with a small white flag in the middle of the Pacific.

Moore clears his throat and says, "James, Misters Barrow and LeBlanc have found some interesting information. You need to look at this."

The commander turns and strides toward you, saying, "Good morning, Bill. A right splendid morning at that! And hello gentlemen. What do you have for me?" Starkweather reaches out for the letter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

ooc,not sure if you need a PC action here or not
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

James Starkweather reads through the letter from the now-deceased Captain Douglas while pacing back and forth across the room, uttering an occasional "Harumph!" or "Bloody hell!" when he reads a passage that he obviously disagrees with. When he finishes, he stops and looks at you intently, asking, "You say that you found this letter in Captain Douglas' hotel room? He seemed to be in a very disturbed state when he wrote this, even for our captain. What do you make of his references to a German?"

George, Martin, and Professor Moore continue presenting the remainder of the materials to the Commander.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

'The German fella' ' yes i had him on my mind as well' 'Cap. douglas writes he met him in the hold' 'what place is that?' 'maybe we can get in touch with him as well'
~Bony End of Story~

Return to “Archive - Completed Chapters”