CHAPTER 2: IC - Death of a Sea Captain [George & Martin]

Moderator: Job

Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

CHAPTER 2: IC - Death of a Sea Captain [George & Martin]

Post by Job »

Herein within Chapter 2, our intrepid investigators begin investigating the death of their Captain of the U.S.S. Gabrielle, who died under mysterious circumstances. We pick up the action on September 7th, 1933.

***NOTE: This chapter links back to the EnWorld area where this BtMoM campaign was begun.
Here is a link to Chapter 4, where you'll find the events leading up to the discovery of Captain Douglas's body floating in the river.

Here is a direct link to YouTube that will better allow you to read the newspaper clipping
**Music courtesy of Erdenstern
Job wrote:
Martin LeBlanc's Puppeteer wrote:Martin makes his way to the mess to find Prof. Moore.

"You sent for me, Professor?"
Anatomist wrote:George looks at Dr.Moore and at Martin Louis LeBlanc standing so surprisingly in the doorway.

"Dr.Moore is there anything else i can be at help with?"
Professor Moore looked at Martin, then George, then back at Martin. "Gentlemen, your assistance would be most helpful since my efforts are needed here. I now must hire a new captain.

"Martin, please use your contacts at the newspaper offices and police stations to find out exactly when they first learned of the murder of Captain Douglas. That may prove whether this warning letter was written by the killer, or if it's a hoax. And find out if there are any details that were not printed!"

Moore then looked back at George, asking, "Mr. Barrow, I need to you to retrace Captain Douglas's last steps. Check his apartment. Find out if anyone remembers seeing him before his death and if they noticed anything suspicious.

It might be better if you and Martin worked together, just in case you're being watched. We can afford to lose any more crew members. And I'm afraid that we don't have much time. We depart in less than two days.

"Thank you."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

** = copyright 2010 Erdenstern
Job
Keeper
Keeper

George Barrow - Scientist

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:George waited a couple of minutes searching his own mind. After a while he turn on his heels.

'Mr. LeBlanc Lets meet in the mess hall in about twenty minuttes' 'i need to pick up some things from my lab'
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Re: IC: Chapter 2 - Death of a Sea Captain

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:After awhile George come back to the mess hall with a notebook and some pencils in his hands.

'Mr.LeBlanc My knowledge about the captains dead is quite slim' 'i joined this expedition after the banquet and its intrigues' 'you have any idea of what can he behind the death of the man?'
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Re: CHAPTER 2: IC - Death of a Sea Captain

Post by Job »

08:00am (EST) – Thursday 7th September 1933

Before you depart Starkweather's stateroom, Professor Moore tells you that Captain Douglas was staying at the Westbury Hotel in New York City, room 23.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

George looks at Martin 'Mr LeBlanc, shall we start by looking at the mans room? we might find something interesting there that can help us understand this tragic event'
George will stop the first cab he sees after getting off the ship and head for the Captains Hotel.
~Bony End of Story~
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Martin agrees. "I think that is an excellent idea. Afterwards lets swing by the police station to see what information they can provide." Martin brings along his camera just in case.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:George will stop the first cab he sees after getting off the ship and head for the Captains Hotel.
BenTheRat wrote:Martin agrees. "I think that is an excellent idea. Afterwards lets swing by the police station to see what information they can provide."Martin brings along his camera just in case
As you exit the ship, walk up the dock and past the guard shack to the street, you hear a shout from the sidewalk along your right, "There's one!" A group of men with cameras and notepads move rapidly towards you, some snapping photos, calling out a chorus of questions.
  • "Any comments regarding Captain Douglas' death?"
    "Any leads?"
    "What do the police think?"
One of the men yells, "Hey! Martin! It's me, Joe Brunner, from the Herald! Where ya headed?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Martin steps up "Guys you know as well as I that it would be silly for me to speculate. Go ask the police chief. Hey Joe, were just off to get a bit of gear for the trip. Good afternoon gentlemen." And Martin quickly follows George into the cab.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

BenTheRat wrote:Martin steps up "Guys you know as well as I that it would be silly for me to speculate. Go ask the police chief. Hey Joe, were just off to get a bit of gear for the trip. Good afternoon gentlemen." And Martin quickly follows George into the cab.
As your cab pulls away into the street, you see the newsmen run off. Only two blocks later, your cabbie informs you that there are at least two cars following you and asks, "You guys famous or somethin'?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:
BenTheRat wrote:Martin steps up "Guys you know as well as I that it would be silly for me to speculate. Go ask the police chief. Hey Joe, were just off to get a bit of gear for the trip. Good afternoon gentlemen." And Martin quickly follows George into the cab.
As your cab pulls away into the street, you see the newsmen run off. Only two blocks later, your cabbie informs you that there are at least two cars following you and asks, "You guys famous or somethin'?"

Job. (the tortured one)
'Nah. but these journalist seems to believe anyone leaving that ship is a celebrity. You know any way we can lose them and get to the Hotel without speeding and killing someone in the traffic?' 'I dont like them following us' 'thats an invasion of my privacy'
~Bony End of Story~
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Going to the hotel first might not be the best course of action. Try and lose them, if you can't, find me an older book store if you can. We can bore them into leaving us alone." Martin suggests.
ooc,I'm assuming at this point Martin has already discovered the articles. This book that went missing by Poe is intriguing. If I can find a book store that has a copy, I'll buy it.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

BenTheRat wrote:"Going to the hotel first might not be the best course of action. Try and lose them, if you can't, find me an older book store if you can. We can bore them into leaving us alone." Martin suggests.
ooc,I'm assuming at this point Martin has already discovered the articles. This book that went missing by Poe is intriguing. If I can find a book store that has a copy, I'll buy it.
'Hey do that' 'good idea' 'these people! I bet they are the lowest scum of journalism'
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

BenTheRat wrote:"Going to the hotel first might not be the best course of action. Try and lose them, if you can't, find me an older book store if you can. We can bore them into leaving us alone." Martin suggests.
Anatomist wrote:'Hey do that' 'good idea' 'these people! I bet they are the lowest scum of journalism'
Your cabbie look in his mirror, locking eyes with you, and says , "Oh, I can try to lose 'em for ya, but I don't wanna damage the cab..." His voice trails off, and he seems to be awaiting a response from you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote: "Oh, I can try to lose 'em for ya, but I don't wanna damage the cab..." [sub][/sub]
George leans forward putting a whole dollar into the mans hand 'go ahead sir'
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

George looks to Martin 'Martin we must remember to talk to the Detective on the case. This Hansen guy'
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:George leans forward putting a whole dollar into the mans hand 'go ahead sir'
"Sure thing, mac," said the cabbie as he pocketed the dollar and accelerated his vehicle through the upcoming intersection and its red stop light, barely squeezing between two cars waiting at the crosswalk, narrowly missing a surprised pedestrian, deftly threading his way through oncoming traffic from both sides, leaving behind a congested snarl of angered commuters.

He immediately turned down a small side street and wove his way past other taxis, autos, and intersections, and made a series of seemingly-random left and right turns to avoid traffic lights and idle delivery trucks.

"Now, where did ya want to go? The Westbury Hotel or a book store?"

Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote: "Now, where did ya want to go? The Westbury Hotel or a book store?"
'Hotel' George mutters out of breath after firmly believing he would die.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

08:35am (EST) – Thursday 7th September 1933

The drive led to little more than a flophouse in a seedy part of the city, nothing at all like the comfortable Amherst Hotel where Martin and George were staying. Litter clogs the street gutters and shadowed figures in doorways seem to be watching.

The interior of the Westbury is lttle better than its shabby outside, with a threadbare carpet, stained ceilings, and a pervasive smell of alcohol and body odor. The clerk is a narrow-faced balding man in rumpled clothes. He looks you over as you enter and asks, "Can I help you?"

Pictured above, New York City street near Captain Douglas' Westbury Hotel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Martin had closed his eyes and held on as best he could through the nightmarish ride. "Holy ..." he cried out a couple times when it looked for sure they were about to hit something. When they finally came to a stop he got out and brushed himself off.

"I think you lost em, good work." Martin paid the cab driver and told him to keep the change.

As he entered the Westbury he definitely crinkled his nose as he scanned the place. "The captain was staying here?"
After the clerk addressed them Martin walked up to the man. "Yes, we are from the USS Gabriel. Captain Douglas was a guest at your ... establishment before his accident. We were asked to come pick up his personal belongings."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

George make a short bow to the clerk 'George Barrow, sir' 'as my college is saying.. we are here for the belongings of the poor man' 'did he stay here as a permanent place or was he a new customer?'
~Bony End of Story~

Return to “Archive - Completed Chapters”