CHAPTER 2: IC - Death of a Sea Captain [George & Martin]

Moderator: Job

Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: CHAPTER 2: IC - Death of a Sea Captain [George Barrow]

Post by Job »

""Here at the hold." Yes, that is a strange turn of a phrase. What do you think, Bill," asks Starkweather of William Moore.

Moore strokes his chin while thinking, then responds, "He's spent his life on ships, so maybe he's referring to where he's staying, at the hotel?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job.

Quote from the Book of Job:
"Out of whose womb came the ice?
And the hoary frost of Heaven, who hath gendered it?
The waters are hid as with a stone.
And the face of the deep is frozen."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Martin frowns, "It could also be a dockside tavern and 'The Hold' is a nickname." Martin looks at George, 'How are you feeling George? Are you up to a bit of dockside investigation and searching of the hotel or would you rather wait until after the funeral tomorrow?"
OOC,I'm not sure what time it is now.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

aine wrote:Martin frowns, "It could also be a dockside tavern and 'The Hold' is a nickname." Martin looks at George, 'How are you feeling George? Are you up to a bit of dockside investigation and searching of the hotel or would you rather wait until after the funeral tomorrow?"
OOC,I'm not sure what time it is now.

'So many variables' 'hard to say what would be the perfect thing to do' 'If we go back to the Hotel we must disguise us self im pretty sure they are looking for us' 'after all we did "loan" this evidence...' George takes off his glasses and starts polishing them 'I dont really know' 'it might be MUCH safer going to the Hotel after the funeral' 'but this German might leave whatever place he's at, or even dear Sirs, he might turn up at the funeral' 'i tend towards waiting for the funeral and then go investigate the Geman business starting at the Hotel'
~Bony End of Story~
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Juste assez. We have the early start after all. Maybe we don't see the German at the funeral so we try him at his hotel." He turns to Starkweather, Monsieur, may I ask the crew that they know of anywhere called 'The Hold'? Just in case it is not the hotel."
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

anatomist wrote:'So many variables' 'hard to say what would be the perfect thing to do' 'If we go back to the Hotel we must disguise us self im pretty sure they are looking for us' 'after all we did "loan" this evidence...' George takes off his glasses and starts polishing them 'I dont really know' 'it might be MUCH safer going to the Hotel after the funeral' 'but this German might leave whatever place he's at, or even dear Sirs, he might turn up at the funeral' 'i tend towards waiting for the funeral and then go investigate the Geman business starting at the Hotel'
aine wrote:"Juste assez. We have the early start after all. Maybe we don't see the German at the funeral so we try him at his hotel." He turns to Starkweather, Monsieur, may I ask the crew that they know of anywhere called 'The Hold'? Just in case it is not the hotel."
Professor Moore responded, "Gentlemen, I would say that waiting for tomorrow's funeral would be the best. We wouldn't want you to get arrested just prior to our departure now, would..."

"Just a moment Bill," interjected the Commander. "I think that you may be right that Captain Douglas was referring to the hotel when he mentioned a "hold", but I also think that being cautious is the wrong approach. This may be the perfect opportunity to gather more information and find that bloody German!" Starkweather began pacing the room and continued, "The police will be guarding that hotel like Buckingham Palace, so if we're correct, the German will be observing the building from a distance, waiting for an opening."

James spun on his heels to face the three men and enthusiastically declared, "And what better time to watch the watcher! "

"However, if we're wrong?" queried Professor Moore. He then gestured towards George and Martin, "And if the police spot our watching of the watcher? And arrest these two key members of our crew?"

The commander began pacing again, pondering.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Then we make sure we are not spotted. Ha." Martin becomes enthused again at the thought of some action. "If we should split up, maybe look different; the police look for two men together, wearing those clothes that are now in the wash. We loiter near the hotel and watch those who are watching. As you say George, we must do the disguise! It will be worth it even just to mark our man for how will we know the German at the funeral? What do you say?"
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

aine wrote:"Then we make sure we are not spotted. Ha." Martin becomes enthused again at the thought of some action. "If we should split up, maybe look different; the police look for two men together, wearing those clothes that are now in the wash. We loiter near the hotel and watch those who are watching. As you say George, we must do the disguise! It will be worth it even just to mark our man for how will we know the German at the funeral? What do you say?"

'Starkweather, Le Blanc' 'I will under no circumstances disguise myself' 'Im a professor! not a damn clown, no Sirs' 'I must insist on the funeral first, then with lowered risk, go and ask around the perimeter of the Hotel' 'The only concealment i will take is a large cloak a hat and the night'
~Bony End of Story~
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Martin shrugs, "Absolutely old chap. I will go myself tonight. I will, no doubt, see nothing but as they say: nothing ventured, nothing gained." Martin turns to Starkweather. "Sir, could I borrow some clothes from one of your petty officers? Something sea-worthy but respectable and with nothing to identify me with this ship. I will have to shave this off." He gestures to his moustache, "But it will grow back and I should look sufficiently different I hope. Once I'm dressed I will leave immediately. Are you happy I should do this Sirs?"
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

aine wrote:"Then we make sure we are not spotted. Ha." Martin becomes enthused again at the thought of some action. "If we should split up, maybe look different; the police look for two men together, wearing those clothes that are now in the wash. We loiter near the hotel and watch those who are watching. As you say George, we must do the disguise! It will be worth it even just to mark our man for how will we know the German at the funeral? What do you say?"
"Yes! Yes!" exclaims James Starkweather, as he becomes even more animated, pacing back and forth more furiously. "If we're going to find this man, then I'm sure that we'll find him near the hotel, near the scene of the crime! And the disguises would help to avoid becoming ensnared by the police."

"Wait. James, you can't be serious," Moore replies. "Even if we avoid the police--which is by no means assured--then we must all recognize that this German fellow is dangerous and could very well murder another."
Anatomist wrote:'Starkweather, Le Blanc' 'I will under no circumstances disguise myself' 'Im a professor! not a damn clown, no Sirs' 'I must insist on the funeral first, then with lowered risk, go and ask around the perimeter of the Hotel' 'The only concealment i will take is a large cloak a hat and the night'
Aine wrote:Martin shrugs, "Absolutely old chap. I will go myself tonight. I will, no doubt, see nothing but as they say: nothing ventured, nothing gained." Martin turns to Starkweather. "Sir, could I borrow some clothes from one of your petty officers? Something sea-worthy but respectable and with nothing to identify me with this ship. I will have to shave this off." He gestures to his moustache, "But it will grow back and I should look sufficiently different I hope. Once I'm dressed I will leave immediately. Are you happy I should do this Sirs?"
Moore nods and gestures towards the scientist, "I agree with George, this is not a time for playing detective. We're scientists and explorers, not trained sleuths or fighters. And the German will very likely attend the funeral, when we will have safety in numbers. Why risk our lives with this?"

James Starkweather stops pacing, rubs at his forehead, then scowls. "Bill. George. This is an opportunity to get at the bottom of the death of a good friend of mine. The police may never solve this crime, especially considering that we found evidence that they clearly overlooked! And that particular evidence is now no longer there for them to find." James looks over at Martin, "I admire your spunk, my good man, and you and I are in agreement that we need to do something, but you cannot go alone."

Professor Moore shakes his head and groans, "James, you're not going through with this! I can't support this. This is madness!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

'Dont Sir' 'Dont risk the departure by doing such a mistake!' 'You would have to find another person then myself to go back there so soon after a grandiose escape from the Police!' 'The consequences are to high!' 'You would make a fool out of yourself if anyone get caught'
~Bony End of Story~
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Martin feels a tad glum at the thought of inaction but waits to see what Starkweather and Moore say; if they lend him a man then it'll be safe enough, on his own it may be a different matter. "I've just had the thought, there may be the police presence at the funeral. If we are together, George, may they not recognise us then too?"
OOC,Are George and Martin on first name or surname terms?
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:'Dont Sir' 'Dont risk the departure by doing such a mistake!' 'You would have to find another person then myself to go back there so soon after a grandiose escape from the Police!' 'The consequences are to high!' 'You would make a fool out of yourself if anyone get caught'
The Commander turns to Dr. Barrow with a scowl, his face darkening scarlet, and Professor Moore quickly steps between them to grasp Starkweather's arm, saying, "Now James. Please think about this for a minute. Our good scientist's logic is sound even if his phrasing was somewhat indelicate. If George or Martin show up at the hotel, then they will be immediately recognized by the police. It hasn't been twenty-four hours since they were last there!"

James Starkweather looks at Professor Moore for a long moment, a crackling tension between them, then suddenly he bursts into laughter and claps his friend on the back. "Quite right, William. And you also, Mr. Barrow," he replies with a smile at George. "I was overcome with the urge to take action for Captain Douglas but, yes, the risk is very high."
Aine wrote:Martin feels a tad glum at the thought of inaction but waits to see what Starkweather and Moore say; if they lend him a man then it'll be safe enough, on his own it may be a different matter. "I've just had the thought, there may be the police presence at the funeral. If we are together, George, may they not recognise us then too?"
"Yes Martin, that's another problem," Professor Moore says, nodding. "I'm not certain that you and George should attend the funeral tomorrow. The police are sure to be watching the cemetary for any sign of suspicious characters."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Image "I have been in similar situations before, in South America. As a journalist it is sometimes necessary when catching the story. Sirs, I can drive the automobile. I can be your chauffeur to the funeral tomorrow and I will have the cover and time to watch the other arrivals, have the talk with their drivers and so forth. George, if you change your appearance just a little and walk with the Commander and professor, hopefully the police will not link you with a burglary in a seedy hostel. Then between us we can cover the whole funeral and maybe find this Philip, the madame and the German fellow." Martin looks around the cabin and shrugs, "It is a plan, no?"
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

James Starkweather agrees with the group that they should not return to the hotel. He and Professor Moore ask that both Martin and George join them in attending the funeral for Captain Douglas.

"It's important for the expedition and its members to pay proper tribute to the man," states Commander Starkweather.

Captain Douglas' Funeral Notice in Sept 7th Afternoon NY Globe Newspaper

"You must each don some sort of disguise so that the police will not recognize you," urges the Professor. "Martin, I think that dressing as a chauffeur is a very good idea, and I'll ask our friends at the American Geographic Society to lend us an appropriate vehicle.

"George, what about you? Would you would be willing to dress in a naval officer's uniform? Most policemen are unlikely to question an officer of rank.

"Perhaps the two of you should also add eyeglasses and beards? Or trim your mustaches? You should both be sure avoid drawing attention and to try to blend in with the crowd."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:James Starkweather agrees with the group that they should not return to the hotel. He and Professor Moore ask that both Martin and George join them in attending the funeral for Captain Douglas.

"It's important for the expedition and its members to pay proper tribute to the man," states Commander Starkweather.

"You must each don some sort of disguise so that the police will not recognize you," urges the Professor. "George, what about you? Would you would be willing to dress in a naval officer's uniform? Most policemen are unlikely to question an officer of rank. Perhaps also add eyeglasses and beards? Or trim your mustaches? You should both be sure avoid drawing attention and to try to blend in with the crowd."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
'I find disguising myself rather derogatory' 'but i will do it for the expedition well departures sake' 'uniform and glasses are ok. I'll shave as soon i get a opportunity'
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Correction,[quote="Job"]Perhaps also add mustaches or eyeglasses? [/quote]Darn it! Both Martin and George already have mustaches! It isn't Professor Moore who is unobservant, it is the Keeper of BtMoM! Professor Moore would not have made that mistake. I'll make a couple of corrections: 1) I'll fix Professor Moore's comment and 2) I'll edit Anatomist's post which quoted Moore. Anatomist, I'll take the liberty of editing your post simply to save you the trouble of going in and fixing my mistake. I hope that this is OK. J.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Martin nods, "I have a dark jacket and trousers, maybe the AGS will supply a cap with the car? I will be ready to meet you early tomorrow. What time and where shall we meet you and the car?" He bows his head and prepares to take his departure.
OOC,Martin doesn't have any jackets on his equipment list but this must be an oversight as every gentleman would have at least a dress coat and a day jacket. Can I assume he owns the minimum requirements?
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

8:00 a.m. (EST) – Friday 8th September, 1933

Breakfasting on the morning of the 8th at the Amherst Hotel, Professor Moore asks if other members of the expedition would like to attend Captain Douglas' funeral. Only Peter Sykes is interested and he changes into his best set of dark, but worn, slacks and jacket. The drive from the hotel to St. Brigid's Cemetary on the outskirts of Brooklyn takes approximately a half hour.

The funeral is sparsely attended. Along with Starkweather, Moore, Sykes, Martin Leblanc and George Barrow, you recognize the Captain's brother, Philip Douglas, from his photograph. A well-dressed man stands talking with Philip and the pastor. A younger man dressed in brown pants and white shirt leans against a tree, smoking a cigarette, clasping a small notebook. Also present are two older men with the look of the sea about them and a certain Police Detective whom you met the night of the expedition's fundraiser, J.J. Hansen. Hansen smiles and touches the brim of his hat, nodding in acknowledgement of your group.

After everyone is assembled, the pastor reads a tribute to Commander Douglas that lists his accomplishments as a man of the sea, followed by a short prayer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

OOC,I had a search at Enworld for the fundraiser but couldn't find it; I don't know how the team stands with Hansen and whether or not he is a menace to their present mission.
As there doesn't seem to be any other police presence, If Martin sees that Hansen recognises him from the fund raiser then he decides there is no point in maintaining the chauffeur charade, he nods to Hansen and stands a little apart at the funeral. If Hansen doesn't recognise him then he lets Moore and George out of the car before leaning nonchalantly against it and taking stock of any other cars and chauffeurs that abound.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

aine wrote:
OOC,I had a search at Enworld for the fundraiser but couldn't find it; I don't know how the team stands with Hansen and whether or not he is a menace to their present mission.
As there doesn't seem to be any other police presence, If Martin sees that Hansen recognises him from the fund raiser then he decides there is no point in maintaining the chauffeur charade, he nods to Hansen and stands a little apart at the funeral. If Hansen doesn't recognise him then he lets Moore and George out of the car before leaning nonchalantly against it and taking stock of any other cars and chauffeurs that abound.
'Dr.Moore' 'Im rather reluctant to step out of the car' 'I dont know if the copper over there know of our affairs' 'it might be wise to test the waters first' 'would you be so kind to approach him and find out what kind of mood he is in?' 'Seems there's reporters out on the field as well' pointing at the younger man leaning on the three. 'Wonder if one of those older men have a german accent' 'what do you say Dr.Moore'
~Bony End of Story~

Return to “Archive - Completed Chapters”