CHAPTER 2: IC - Death of a Sea Captain [George & Martin]

Moderator: Job

aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Re: CHAPTER 2: IC - Death of a Sea Captain [George Barrow]

Post by aine »

"Yes," responds Philip, "I believe that I've read an article of yours, Mister Le Blanc. You may not write for a newspaper, but you do write and take pictures and memorialize. He didn't tell me much of his trip to the Antarctic but, from what he did say, I doubt that he'd want anyone recording it."
.Martin wonders what the detective is asking but he turns to Philip, "Even if your brother does not want to record his travels in the Antarctic he has still left you a legacy; if what you know of his travels disturbs you, you must not, how you say, bottle it up. A lot of harm can come of that. I have seen it before." He looks with concern at Philip.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:8:30 a.m. (EST) – Friday 8th September, 1933
St. Brigid's Cemetary, Brooklyn NY

Anatomist wrote:'Philip' 'i did not know your brother to well, but i was under the impression he was tormented with something' 'we can' 'if you want talk about it'
Persuade roll,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3804134/]Persuade 75% (1d100=41)[/url]
A look of sadness crosses Philip's face and he pauses to look at each of you in turn, first George, then Martin, Professor Moore, and finally lingering for a time on James Starkweather. "As I mentioned, my brother came to stay with me after his last trip to that damned icehole with the Miskatonic Expedition. He returned from the journey a much-changed man, and not just his two fingers that were amputated. He had spells of time when he was very quiet, sitting for days without talking, staring at nothing, and..."

Philip seems embarrased to continue, but says, "And he drank. He drank a lot during those spells."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

.George felt he had Phillip on the talk and pushed on. 'Did he had other torments in his life? some bad friends, someone that wanted him ill?'
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

aine wrote:Martin ... turns to Philip, "Even if your brother does not want to record his travels in the Antarctic he has still left you a legacy; if what you know of his travels disturbs you, you must not, how you say, bottle it up. A lot of harm can come of that. I have seen it before." He looks with concern at Philip.
Anatomist wrote:George felt he had Phillip on the talk and pushed on. 'Did he had other torments in his life? some bad friends, someone that wanted him ill?'
You see Philip Douglas' jaw muscles clenching, then he responds, "I don't recall anyone meaning my brother harm.

"During J.B.'s drinking bouts, he would ramble on about some of the things that he experienced, but they weren't easy to understand. Afterwards, he would fall asleep and waken in a sweating panic from some dream. When I asked him what the dreams were about, my brother always insisted that he couldn't recall what he said when he was in his cups. And he would deny all of the events that he mentioned before falling asleep."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Re: CHAPTER 2: IC - Death of a Sea Captain [George & Martin]

Post by aine »

."He must have suffered some terrible experiences. And you can't remember anything about his rambles- even if they didn't make any sense?" Martin looks at Philip with compassion.
Job
Keeper
Keeper
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

"I recollect in one of his stories, he said three men went snow crazy and attempted violence on other members of the crew. Two were restrained, and recovered after a bit. Th'other ran off an was never found. I don't recall hearin' their names."

Philip looked around at the gathered men, and continued, "My brother did mention one name a number of times. He would shake his head and mutter, 'That poor, poor devil Danforth.' At other times, he'd demand, 'Blast it, Dyer! Police your crew!', and 'Make him stop that damned screaming!'"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

Professor Moore pauses for a moment, then says, "Danforth... Paul Danforth was one of the pilots on the 1930 expedition. He flew the plane, accompanied by Professor Dyer, to rescue Lake's expedition."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

.'Tell me Phillip, i think your brother mentioned it once to me' 'something about a german person, or maybe it was a german accent or something the like, that was of some annoyance to him' 'you wouldn't know anything of that?'
ooc,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3889083/]Persuasion 75% (1d100=94)[/url]
~Bony End of Story~
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Martin listens to the exchange but keeps an eye on the detective and the men he is talking to.
ooc,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3890234/]1d100=99, (Some great rolls here; I'm sure we'll wrap this investigation up in no time at this rate!)[/url]
Job
Keeper
Keeper
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:'Tell me Phillip, i think your brother mentioned it once to me' 'something about a german person, or maybe it was a german accent or something the like, that was of some annoyance to him' 'you wouldn't know anything of that?'
Philip thinks for a moment, then shakes his head, "No, I'm sorry. I don't remember him saying anything recently about a German person."
Job
Keeper
Keeper
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

aine wrote:Martin listens to the exchange but keeps an eye on the detective and the men he is talking to.
ooc,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3890234/]1d100=99, (Some great rolls here; I'm sure we'll wrap this investigation up in no time at this rate!)[/url]
Detective Hansen has moved away from the seamen and is now speaking with a tall man dressed in a suit and dark overcoat.

As you were scanning the crowd looking for the detective, you notice that the small man with the notepad has edged close to your group and is writing furiously.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

.Martin notices the little man creeping up on them. He says in a louder voice. "It's cold standing around here, Philip, can we offer to buy you a drink? Somewhere warmer were we can relax a bit? What do you think?" He looks at everyone in the group to include them in his suggestion. He subtly touches George's arm and nods his head in the direction of the tall gentleman. He raises his eyebrow and mouths 'German?'
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

aine wrote:Martin notices the little man creeping up on them. He says in a louder voice. "It's cold standing around here, Philip, can we offer to buy you a drink? Somewhere warmer were we can relax a bit? What do you think?" He looks at everyone in the group to include them in his suggestion. He subtly touches George's arm and nods his head in the direction of the tall gentleman. He raises his eyebrow and mouths 'German?'

.George nods with his head at Martin 'Yes Phillip please... ' 'lets go for a drink togheter' 'let me invite'

When possible George will walk over to them man obviously ear dropping on them and ask him 'My good Sir...' leaving it hang to for the name and continuing after some seconds 'friend of the Captain?' 'business associate?' 'please sir tell me all about yourself' 'you seemed so lone over here' 'we must be together Sir, in our grief for the good Captain'
Persuation roll,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3908332/]Persuade 70% (1d100=54)[/url]
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

The man abruptly looks up from his note-taking and says, "Ah. No sir. I mean, yes sir. Er, no. I'm Hawkes. Gary Hawkes." He slips his one hand into his pocket and with the other, reaches into his jacket.

"It is indeed a sad day. I'm sorry, and you are?"

Job. (the tortured one).
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:The man abruptly looks up from his note-taking and says, "Ah. No sir. I mean, yes sir. Er, no. I'm Hawkes. Gary Hawkes." He slips his one hand into his pocket and with the other, reaches into his jacket.

"It is indeed a sad day. I'm sorry, and you are?"

Job. (the tortured one).

.'Barrow, George, Sir' 'and what would be your line of wokr Sir?' George smiles to the man.
~Bony End of Story~
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

."Just before we go somewhere for a warm up and drink, I'd like to say goodbye to someone. Excuse me for just a moment." Martin bows his head to Philip and walks over to Hansen and the tall gentleman. "Excuse me Detective Hansen, sorry for interrupting you. I'm leaving shortly and wanted to say goodbye." He turns to the tall man, "I'm sorry Sir, I don't think we've been introduced..."
Job
Keeper
Keeper
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:'Barrow, George, Sir' 'and what would be your line of wokr Sir?' George smiles to the man.
He looks down at the ground and says, "I'm a writer. Um, I should probably leave. I don't want to intrude any more than I already have. It was nice to meet you, Mr Barrow."

The man then turns to leave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

aine wrote:Martin notices the little man creeping up on them. He says in a louder voice. "It's cold standing around here, Philip, can we offer to buy you a drink? Somewhere warmer were we can relax a bit? What do you think?" He looks at everyone in the group to include them in his suggestion.
Anatomist wrote:George nods with his head at Martin 'Yes Phillip please... ' 'lets go for a drink togheter' 'let me invite'
With a look of sadness and with evident fatigue in his voice, Philip says to the gathered men, "After spending time with my brother, I stopped drinking. And I'm sorry, it's early yet but it's been a very trying day."

Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

aine wrote:"I'd like to say goodbye to someone. Excuse me for just a moment." Martin bows his head to Philip and walks over to Hansen and the tall gentleman. "Excuse me Detective Hansen, sorry for interrupting you. I'm leaving shortly and wanted to say goodbye." He turns to the tall man, "I'm sorry Sir, I don't think we've been introduced..."
The detective nods at Martin, reaching out to shake his hand, "Mr. LeBlanc."

The well-dressed, tall gentleman is approximately fifty years of age, possessing a receding hairline and a prominent Roman nose. He responds in a cool and detached manner, "I'm Gerald Brackman. Were you a friend of Mr. Douglas'?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:
aine wrote:Martin notices the little man creeping up on them. He says in a louder voice. "It's cold standing around here, Philip, can we offer to buy you a drink? Somewhere warmer were we can relax a bit? What do you think?" He looks at everyone in the group to include them in his suggestion.
Anatomist wrote:George nods with his head at Martin 'Yes Phillip please... ' 'lets go for a drink togheter' 'let me invite'
With a look of sadness and with evident fatigue in his voice, Philip says to the gathered men, "After spending time with my brother, I stopped drinking. And I'm sorry, it's early yet but it's been a very trying day."

Job. (the tortured one)

.'Phillip' if you have anything on your hearth let me know, please' 'I would love to chat with you about your brother' 'he always fascinated my in some odd way'
~Bony End of Story~
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

.Martin responds to Gerald Brackman, "I'm afraid I didn't have that pleasure. I wish I had known him better though, he seemed a man after my own heart from what I have heard. If he was a friend of yours then please accept my condolences. Did you know him well Mr. Brackman?"

Return to “Archive - Completed Chapters”