CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > NYC to Panama

Moderator: Job

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's the most wonderful feeling in the world!" says Katie, recalling the joy as if she were up there now. "To be able to soar like a bird, completely free...there's nothing else like it. Ever since I was a little girl I've wanted to fly. Of course, that shouldn't be a surprise considering my surname - Orville and Wilbur are distant cousins of mine, so it's in my blood too. If you want to learn how to fly a plane, I could teach you. It takes a lot of work and a long time, but it's worth it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Seon
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Seon »

"Really?" Ernest said. "I'll definitely hold you to that after the expedition. Say, what was the most interesting place that you flew over? Sorry," Ernest said. "Writer. I am just so curious about all these things, yah know."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Definitely Peru," says Katie, grinning at the fond memories. "Have you ever heard of the Nazca Lines? They're these huge elaborate drawings that were carved into the terrain long before Europeans set foot in the Americas, and they can only be seen and appreciated from the air. Yet we've only had powered flight for the past thirty years. So why did the ancients draw them? It really makes you wonder."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

"Ah yes, the Nazca Lines. I've actually visited that place some time ago, although I saw the lines from a balloon instead of a plane," Ernest said. "It almost makes one wonder if we were not the first ones to discover flight..."

He frowned. "Speaking of flying, do you think it's aerodynamically feasible for there to be a big enough bird to carry away a man?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's a tough one," says Katie. "I've never given it any thought. Birds don't get that big, but it might be possible. Pterodactyls aren't birds, but some of them were probably big enough. They're in short supply these days, though." She grins again.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

"Yeah, I know, right?" Ernest said, chuckling. "It's just that I heard a really freaky story from a guy who went to Antarctica before. Said that a giant starfish-headed monster carried away his friend at night. He was pretty crazy, I must admit though," Ernest said. "It would be exciting if it was real though. Unless one of us gets carried off, of course."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That does sound crazy," says Katie. "I mean, I'd expect to maybe find new kinds of animals in Antarctica that don't exist anywhere else, but nothing that different. Probably no dinosaurs left alive there - the cold weather would have killed them off, as they're not warm-blooded - but it could be that they used to live there too. Antarctica may have been a warmer place in the past. But, yeah, it would be amazing to find new creatures there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

"That's why I am here, actually. All these times, I have been following in the footsteps of other people. Visiting already explored areas. Breathtaking placecs surely, but all of which have been visited by others. This time, we just may be the first."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I'm excited about that too," says Katie. "Of course, there is Acacia Lexington's expedition too, though she's only trying to reach the South Pole. She has a headstart, but I think we can catch up to her. If we make good time, I might even beat her to the South Pole and be the first woman there, but I have no intention of stopping there. I hope to be not just the first woman to fly over those mountains, but the first - period."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Job »

jrod wrote:Dr. Watkins tells Peter Sykes, "After scanning the Balboa for objects of medical interest...I suppose a night out for some whiskey could do me some good. I'll also meet you around 9."
"Excellent, Doctor Watkins!" exclaimed Sykes with a grin and a wink. "The game is afoot! I look forward to engaging in our own medical interests later to confirm the potency of Panamanian spirits. I'll scout the area for a suitable establishment and meet you back here at the station at nine.

"Anyone else?"
Sykes asked, looking expectantly at the rest of the group.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Job wrote:One week earlier, in the dead of night on September twelfth...
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind stands up with haste grabbing his throat and coughing hard waving with his arms as in desperate fight. 'God a dream' 'it was a dream' 'oh God' Øyvind look Paco in the eyes 'it was so real Paco it was so real!' 'a thing was like eating me from inside, moving beneath my skin' 'i was alone' i could not fight it' 'oh God....' Øyvind lies down in his bed again, trying to asuer himself he is awake, fumbling for his watch on the table.
"Señor, you are OK. Yes, it was a bad dream," said Paco. Within their darkened cabin, Øyvind could hear the concern in Paco's voice, and Paco laid his hand reassuringly on Øyvind's forearm. "Do you want me to get Padre Rucker? He may be able to help?"

Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seon wrote:"That's why I am here, actually. All these times, I have been following in the footsteps of other people. Visiting already explored areas. Breathtaking placecs surely, but all of which have been visited by others. This time, we just may be the first."
Mr. Handy wrote:"Yes, I'm excited about that too," says Katie. "Of course, there is Acacia Lexington's expedition too, though she's only trying to reach the South Pole. She has a headstart, but I think we can catch up to her. If we make good time, I might even beat her to the South Pole and be the first woman there, but I have no intention of stopping there. I hope to be not just the first woman to fly over those mountains, but the first - period."
Just then, Katie and Ernest hear Professor Moore returning down the hall and into the room briskly strode a tall, handsome man with the bearing of an army officer.

With a radiant smile, he reached forward to Ernest and said, "Ernest Roosevelt, I presume? I'm James Starkweather. It's a great pleasure to have you aboard! I've heard stellar reports from your colleagues and I believe that we're fortunate to have you on our team. Welcome!"

James then turned to Katie and extended his hand and also his warm smile, saying, "And you must be Katie Wright. Professor Moore speaks very highly of you, Miss Wright! Welcome to the SS Gabrielle."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Commander Starkweather," says Katie. "I'm glad to be aboard." She reaches out and grips his hand, shaking it very firmly - with enough force that he can tell how physically strong she is, but not enough to hurt.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:
Job wrote:One week earlier, in the dead of night on September twelfth...
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind stands up with haste grabbing his throat and coughing hard waving with his arms as in desperate fight. 'God a dream' 'it was a dream' 'oh God' Øyvind look Paco in the eyes 'it was so real Paco it was so real!' 'a thing was like eating me from inside, moving beneath my skin' 'i was alone' i could not fight it' 'oh God....' Øyvind lies down in his bed again, trying to asuer himself he is awake, fumbling for his watch on the table.
"Señor, you are OK. Yes, it was a bad dream," said Paco. Within their darkened cabin, Øyvind could hear the concern in Paco's voice, and Paco laid his hand reassuringly on Øyvind's forearm. "Do you want me to get Padre Rucker? He may be able to help?"

Job. (the tortured one)
'The Father' 'yes' do that' 'I fear my God and i might need the Fathers council on this'
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:"Thank you, Commander Starkweather," says Katie. "I'm glad to be aboard." She reaches out and grips his hand, shaking it very firmly - with enough force that he can tell how physically strong she is, but not enough to hurt.
Katie's action surprised the Commander. From the manner in which he had extended his hand, he had obviously intended to gently and politely shake hands with Katie Wright, as a gentleman would with a lady, however Katie's handshake brought a confused look to his face and he hesitated. He soon responded with a good-natured laugh and a confident, energetic handshake.

"Ah, very good, Miss Wright," he said, "I see that you are ready to accept a challenge! Very well, please excuse me for being abrupt, but I have much work to attend to this day and have little time for pleasantries.

"An expedition to the Antarctic is a deadly serious undertaking. I go there not to satisfy my ego",
he said with a perfect look of sincerity, "nor to prove the dominance of the male species, but rather to extend the knowledge of humankind. To answer the gauntlet thrown down by a harsh and unforgiving Mother Nature and to succeed where others have failed.

"As the originator and commander of this expedition, I have the full burden of responsibility for the lives of every individual who sets foot on that ship and who later dares tread the treacherous ice at the dark end of the earth. I take that responsibility very seriously indeed, Miss Wright.

"Tell me then, why did you ignore my direct reply to your wire and come to see me today? And why should I accept an individual on this expedition who disregards my decision?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I do love a good challenge," says Katie, "and that's how I viewed your telegram. I told you that I don't give up. I want to be part of the expedition for the same reasons you do. I want to put myself to the ultimate test and explore uncharted territory. If someone else told you that you couldn't go to Antarctica, would you have listened? I don't believe you would. When you made your decision, you didn't really know me or what I could do. The only way to convince you to reverse your decision was to fly to Panama and give you a demonstration of my abilities. So that's exactly what I did. Perhaps you saw it when you were approaching Colon. You need me to get over those mountains, Commander Starkweather. Few other pilots are good enough to pull off that steep a climb, but that sort of maneuver may be necessary there. Would you rather fly over the mountains, or into them?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Job wrote:Within their darkened cabin, Øyvind could hear the concern in Paco's voice, and Paco laid his hand reassuringly on Øyvind's forearm. "Do you want me to get Padre Rucker? He may be able to help?"
Anatomist wrote:'The Father' 'yes' do that' 'I fear my God and i might need the Fathers council on this'
"Si, señor! I will find the Padre," said Paco, and then he hurried from the room.

Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:"I do love a good challenge," says Katie, "and that's how I viewed your telegram. I told you that I don't give up. I want to be part of the expedition for the same reasons you do. I want to put myself to the ultimate test and explore uncharted territory. If someone else told you that you couldn't go to Antarctica, would you have listened?

James Starkweather smiled. "In actuality, Miss Wright, I have repeatedly been warned not to proceed with this expedition. Had I heeded their advice, you and I would not be talking here today in Panama."
Mr. Handy wrote:"When you made your decision, you didn't really know me or what I could do. The only way to convince you to reverse your decision was to fly to Panama and give you a demonstration of my abilities. So that's exactly what I did. Perhaps you saw it when you were approaching Colon. You need me to get over those mountains, Commander Starkweather. Few other pilots are good enough to pull off that steep a climb, but that sort of maneuver may be necessary there. Would you rather fly over the mountains, or into them?"
James Starkweather listened intently as Katie talked, then he responded, "I understand that you are capable, Miss Wright. I saw your exhibition and admire your tenacity, however you must understand my position.

"I must maintain order amongst a crew of over fifty hardened men on a extended, dangerous journey; a journey that many have rightly described as a deathtrap. I have journeyed alongside determined women in the past, Miss Wright. You would not be the first. And while those expeditions ended in success, I'm afraid that they were always fraught with the tension that develops between the sexes."

The commander stared unflinchlingly into Katie's eyes as he continued, "In addition, I expect that the elements and stresses would undoubtedly place an enormous burden upon a woman's biological and psychological makeup. Unfortunately, I've already been forced to approve the addition of one female explorer on board due to circumstances beyond my control. To add a second to our team would dramatically increase our risks and I'm afraid that to do so would be to invite disaster."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Katie returns Starkweather's gaze with the same intensity. "Commander Starkweather, I am not like most women," she says. "I am as physically capable as any man, and moreso than most. My strength and fortitude are extremely high, and my reflexes are nearly unmatched. And I don't get overly emotional like some women do. The only emotions this expedition inspires in me are same ones you feel: excitement and the thrill of exploring the unknown. Whatever hardships this expedition brings, I'm prepared for them and I can take them. I don't need anyone to hold my hand. I can handle being on a ship with over 150 men just fine. If they can handle themselves around Camille Bardier, they can handle themselves around me. I've seen her picture in the papers, and I'm not nearly as pretty as she is. I can stick with her, too. That wouldn't increase the risks, it would reduce them. I'm more than capable of looking out for not only myself but her as well."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Starkweather paused, looking at Katie while he thought through his decision. After a few moments, he nodded and reached out to shake hands with her, saying, "I'll consider your request, Miss Wright. Thank you for granting me the opportunity to meet, in person, the individual with the audacity to perform a flyover of the Gabrielle's bridge. Right now, I must return to my office to finish preparing for tonight's radio address.

"Professor Moore will arrange for your return to the docks."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Return to “Archive - Completed Chapters”