Page 1 of 1

CHAPTER 2: IC - Death of a Sea Captain [George & Martin]

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:42 am
by Job
Herein within Chapter 2, our intrepid investigators begin investigating the death of their Captain of the U.S.S. Gabrielle, who died under mysterious circumstances. We pick up the action on September 7th, 1933.

***NOTE: This chapter links back to the EnWorld area where this BtMoM campaign was begun.
Here is a link to Chapter 4, where you'll find the events leading up to the discovery of Captain Douglas's body floating in the river.

Here is a direct link to YouTube that will better allow you to read the newspaper clipping
**Music courtesy of Erdenstern
Job wrote:
Martin LeBlanc's Puppeteer wrote:Martin makes his way to the mess to find Prof. Moore.

"You sent for me, Professor?"
Anatomist wrote:George looks at Dr.Moore and at Martin Louis LeBlanc standing so surprisingly in the doorway.

"Dr.Moore is there anything else i can be at help with?"
Professor Moore looked at Martin, then George, then back at Martin. "Gentlemen, your assistance would be most helpful since my efforts are needed here. I now must hire a new captain.

"Martin, please use your contacts at the newspaper offices and police stations to find out exactly when they first learned of the murder of Captain Douglas. That may prove whether this warning letter was written by the killer, or if it's a hoax. And find out if there are any details that were not printed!"

Moore then looked back at George, asking, "Mr. Barrow, I need to you to retrace Captain Douglas's last steps. Check his apartment. Find out if anyone remembers seeing him before his death and if they noticed anything suspicious.

It might be better if you and Martin worked together, just in case you're being watched. We can afford to lose any more crew members. And I'm afraid that we don't have much time. We depart in less than two days.

"Thank you."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

** = copyright 2010 Erdenstern

George Barrow - Scientist

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:47 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:George waited a couple of minutes searching his own mind. After a while he turn on his heels.

'Mr. LeBlanc Lets meet in the mess hall in about twenty minuttes' 'i need to pick up some things from my lab'

Re: IC: Chapter 2 - Death of a Sea Captain

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:51 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:After awhile George come back to the mess hall with a notebook and some pencils in his hands.

'Mr.LeBlanc My knowledge about the captains dead is quite slim' 'i joined this expedition after the banquet and its intrigues' 'you have any idea of what can he behind the death of the man?'

Re: CHAPTER 2: IC - Death of a Sea Captain

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:52 am
by Job
08:00am (EST) – Thursday 7th September 1933

Before you depart Starkweather's stateroom, Professor Moore tells you that Captain Douglas was staying at the Westbury Hotel in New York City, room 23.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:11 am
by Anatomist

George looks at Martin 'Mr LeBlanc, shall we start by looking at the mans room? we might find something interesting there that can help us understand this tragic event'
George will stop the first cab he sees after getting off the ship and head for the Captains Hotel.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:47 pm
by BenTheRat
Martin agrees. "I think that is an excellent idea. Afterwards lets swing by the police station to see what information they can provide." Martin brings along his camera just in case.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:07 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:George will stop the first cab he sees after getting off the ship and head for the Captains Hotel.
BenTheRat wrote:Martin agrees. "I think that is an excellent idea. Afterwards lets swing by the police station to see what information they can provide."Martin brings along his camera just in case
As you exit the ship, walk up the dock and past the guard shack to the street, you hear a shout from the sidewalk along your right, "There's one!" A group of men with cameras and notepads move rapidly towards you, some snapping photos, calling out a chorus of questions.
  • "Any comments regarding Captain Douglas' death?"
    "Any leads?"
    "What do the police think?"
One of the men yells, "Hey! Martin! It's me, Joe Brunner, from the Herald! Where ya headed?"

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:48 am
by BenTheRat
Martin steps up "Guys you know as well as I that it would be silly for me to speculate. Go ask the police chief. Hey Joe, were just off to get a bit of gear for the trip. Good afternoon gentlemen." And Martin quickly follows George into the cab.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:01 am
by Job
BenTheRat wrote:Martin steps up "Guys you know as well as I that it would be silly for me to speculate. Go ask the police chief. Hey Joe, were just off to get a bit of gear for the trip. Good afternoon gentlemen." And Martin quickly follows George into the cab.
As your cab pulls away into the street, you see the newsmen run off. Only two blocks later, your cabbie informs you that there are at least two cars following you and asks, "You guys famous or somethin'?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:37 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:
BenTheRat wrote:Martin steps up "Guys you know as well as I that it would be silly for me to speculate. Go ask the police chief. Hey Joe, were just off to get a bit of gear for the trip. Good afternoon gentlemen." And Martin quickly follows George into the cab.
As your cab pulls away into the street, you see the newsmen run off. Only two blocks later, your cabbie informs you that there are at least two cars following you and asks, "You guys famous or somethin'?"

Job. (the tortured one)
'Nah. but these journalist seems to believe anyone leaving that ship is a celebrity. You know any way we can lose them and get to the Hotel without speeding and killing someone in the traffic?' 'I dont like them following us' 'thats an invasion of my privacy'

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:19 pm
by BenTheRat
"Going to the hotel first might not be the best course of action. Try and lose them, if you can't, find me an older book store if you can. We can bore them into leaving us alone." Martin suggests.
ooc,I'm assuming at this point Martin has already discovered the articles. This book that went missing by Poe is intriguing. If I can find a book store that has a copy, I'll buy it.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:49 pm
by Anatomist
BenTheRat wrote:"Going to the hotel first might not be the best course of action. Try and lose them, if you can't, find me an older book store if you can. We can bore them into leaving us alone." Martin suggests.
ooc,I'm assuming at this point Martin has already discovered the articles. This book that went missing by Poe is intriguing. If I can find a book store that has a copy, I'll buy it.
'Hey do that' 'good idea' 'these people! I bet they are the lowest scum of journalism'

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:17 am
by Job
BenTheRat wrote:"Going to the hotel first might not be the best course of action. Try and lose them, if you can't, find me an older book store if you can. We can bore them into leaving us alone." Martin suggests.
Anatomist wrote:'Hey do that' 'good idea' 'these people! I bet they are the lowest scum of journalism'
Your cabbie look in his mirror, locking eyes with you, and says , "Oh, I can try to lose 'em for ya, but I don't wanna damage the cab..." His voice trails off, and he seems to be awaiting a response from you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:42 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote: "Oh, I can try to lose 'em for ya, but I don't wanna damage the cab..." [sub][/sub]
George leans forward putting a whole dollar into the mans hand 'go ahead sir'

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:25 pm
by Anatomist
George looks to Martin 'Martin we must remember to talk to the Detective on the case. This Hansen guy'

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:33 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:George leans forward putting a whole dollar into the mans hand 'go ahead sir'
"Sure thing, mac," said the cabbie as he pocketed the dollar and accelerated his vehicle through the upcoming intersection and its red stop light, barely squeezing between two cars waiting at the crosswalk, narrowly missing a surprised pedestrian, deftly threading his way through oncoming traffic from both sides, leaving behind a congested snarl of angered commuters.

He immediately turned down a small side street and wove his way past other taxis, autos, and intersections, and made a series of seemingly-random left and right turns to avoid traffic lights and idle delivery trucks.

"Now, where did ya want to go? The Westbury Hotel or a book store?"

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:41 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote: "Now, where did ya want to go? The Westbury Hotel or a book store?"
'Hotel' George mutters out of breath after firmly believing he would die.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:10 pm
by Job
08:35am (EST) – Thursday 7th September 1933

The drive led to little more than a flophouse in a seedy part of the city, nothing at all like the comfortable Amherst Hotel where Martin and George were staying. Litter clogs the street gutters and shadowed figures in doorways seem to be watching.

The interior of the Westbury is lttle better than its shabby outside, with a threadbare carpet, stained ceilings, and a pervasive smell of alcohol and body odor. The clerk is a narrow-faced balding man in rumpled clothes. He looks you over as you enter and asks, "Can I help you?"

Pictured above, New York City street near Captain Douglas' Westbury Hotel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:13 pm
by BenTheRat
Martin had closed his eyes and held on as best he could through the nightmarish ride. "Holy ..." he cried out a couple times when it looked for sure they were about to hit something. When they finally came to a stop he got out and brushed himself off.

"I think you lost em, good work." Martin paid the cab driver and told him to keep the change.

As he entered the Westbury he definitely crinkled his nose as he scanned the place. "The captain was staying here?"
After the clerk addressed them Martin walked up to the man. "Yes, we are from the USS Gabriel. Captain Douglas was a guest at your ... establishment before his accident. We were asked to come pick up his personal belongings."

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:31 pm
by Anatomist
George make a short bow to the clerk 'George Barrow, sir' 'as my college is saying.. we are here for the belongings of the poor man' 'did he stay here as a permanent place or was he a new customer?'

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:30 am
by Job
8:40 a.m. (EST) – Thursday 7th September, 1933
BenTheRat wrote:As he entered the Westbury he definitely crinkled his nose as he scanned the place. "The captain was staying here?"
After the clerk addressed them Martin walked up to the man. "Yes, we are from the USS Gabriel. Captain Douglas was a guest at your ... establishment before his accident. We were asked to come pick up his personal belongings."
Anatomist wrote:George make a short bow to the clerk 'George Barrow, sir' 'as my college is saying.. we are here for the belongings of the poor man' 'did he stay here as a permanent place or was he a new customer?'
The hotel clerk hesitates a moment, then says, "Sorry boys, cops have that room locked up tight. Crime scene and all that. There's even a cop outside it to see nobody goes in." He shrugs his shoulders.

After only a few sentences from the clerk, you think that you've identified at least one source of the strong alcohol smell in this joint...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:44 am
by BenTheRat
"I didn't realize any crime actually took place here. What exactly happened?" Martin says as he flips a dollar coin in his hand around his fingers.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:59 pm
by Job
BenTheRat wrote:"I didn't realize any crime actually took place here. What exactly happened?" Martin says as he flips a dollar coin in his hand around his fingers.
The clerk seemed mesmerized by Martin's sleight of hand, never taking his eyes off the coin as he responded, "So far as I know, your buddy drowned near the Battery and the cops don't think it was natural-like, if ya know what I mean. Your buddy was only here for a few days."

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:20 pm
by BenTheRat
Martin smiles, he knows this type, he's dealt with him a hundred times trying to get a story. He continues rolling the coin between his fingers a small skill he spent hours practicing. His regular contacts knew if they wanted it, the info had to be good. "Come on, everyone knows that, that was in the papers. Tell me something I don't know."

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:55 pm
by Job
The clerk looked up, narrowed his eyes, and responded, "Alright, but there really ain't much to tell ya. He paid for his room in advance, for ten days. Too bad he didn' get to finish his stay...

He didn' have any visitors an' he was gone most of the time, out and about. Day an' night, not around.

He did use our phone once or twice, over there on the desk."
The clerk pointed to a telephone sitting on a small table about ten or fifteen feet from the clerk's desk in the lobby.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:06 pm
by Anatomist
George sees as Martin is working the man, he takes a step back and watches his surroundings.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:32 pm
by BenTheRat
"Ok, so tell me friend," and Martin puts the coin on the desk but keeps his hand over it. "if we wanted 10 mins in the room without being bothered, do you think you could arrange this?"

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:10 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:George sees as Martin is working the man, he takes a step back and watches his surroundings.
George notices that the lobby is deserted; no other people are around. The lobby itself is small, approximately twenty feet by twenty feet, and contains only the main desk and mail bins, two chairs for customers, and a desk with a phone and small lamp, all sitting on a torn and filthy carpet.

The entrance to the lobby is opposite the main desk. Hallways extend off to both the right and left of the main desk, and a stairway leads upwards just behind and to the left of the desk.
For George Only,As Martin talks to the clerk, it appears that the clerk is being truthful, even if not terribly helpful.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:06 pm
by Job
BenTheRat wrote:"Ok, so tell me friend," and Martin puts the coin on the desk but keeps his hand over it. "if we wanted 10 mins in the room without being bothered, do you think you could arrange this?"
The man's eyes remain fixed upon your hand on the counter, obviously waiting for the coin to reappear, but his brain cells are probably hindered.

"I can't give ya the key to the room. The detectives will throw me in jail if they come back an' I don't have it. An' the cop outside the door ain't gonna let ya in."
For Martin and George,Please roll a couple of "Idea" checks in the OOC thread and we'll see if your characters have some surprise suggestions
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:32 am
by Job
Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:George sees as Martin is working the man, he takes a step back and watches his surroundings.
The doors to rooms on the first floor are all numbered in the teens: room 11, room 12, room 13, etc. Odd-numbered rooms are on the right side of the hallway and even numbered rooms on the left.

George ascends halfway up the stairs and, at the top of the flight, sees a policeman sitting in a chair outside the door of room 23. The door to room 25 is on the left side of the sitting policeman and, although George can't see it without moving up further, he assumes that the door to room 21 is on the right side.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:34 am
by Job
Job wrote:
BenTheRat wrote:"Ok, so tell me friend," and Martin puts the coin on the desk but keeps his hand over it. "if we wanted 10 mins in the room without being bothered, do you think you could arrange this?"
The man's eyes remain fixed upon your hand on the counter, obviously waiting for the coin to reappear, but his brain cells are probably hindered.

"I can't give ya the key to the room. The detectives will throw me in jail if they come back an' I don't have it. An' the cop outside the door ain't gonna let ya in."
Behind the clerk, on a counter underneath the mail bins for each room, Martin sees a large ledger book which he assumes all patrons sign when renting their rooms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:06 am
by BenTheRat
Martin slides the coin off to one side and takes his hand off of it. "Why don't you let me have a peak at the ledger?"

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:12 pm
by Job
BenTheRat wrote:Martin slides the coin off to one side and takes his hand off of it. "Why don't you let me have a peak at the ledger?"
He studied your face for a moment, then reached out slowly to take the dollar coin, put it in his pocket, saying, "Alright Mac, sure, you can take a look. Nothin' there to see, really. Cops have already seen it." He then turned, picked up the ledger with two hands, placed it on the main counter and slid it across for Martin to examine.

Sure enough, three days ago, Captain Douglas signed into room twenty-three. It appears that the Hotel Westbury was pretty busy over the past few days; you notice a few other entries for that period.

Job (the tortured one).

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:09 pm
by BenTheRat
"So Captain Douglas was in room 23. Is there a connecting door with the room next door? Room 21 or 25?" Martin looks in the book to see if anyone was in or is still in 21 or 25.

If there is an adjoining door Martin wants to rent the room with the adjoining door.

If not, he asks if the windows can be opened?

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:04 am
by Job
BenTheRat wrote:"So Captain Douglas was in room 23. Is there a connecting door with the room next door? Room 21 or 25?" Martin looks in the book to see if anyone was in or is still in 21 or 25.

If there is an adjoining door Martin wants to rent the room with the adjoining door.

If not, he asks if the windows can be opened?
The clerk responded, "Yeah, there's a door connecting room twenty-three and room twenty-one. And the windows open, sure, but there ain't no fire escapes. I don't wanna know what you boys are up to. If the cops catch ya, then you're on your own. I know nothin!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:24 am
by BenTheRat
"You don't have to know nothing. I'd like to rent room 21 for the night." Martin pulls out another dollar, "And the key for the adjoining door."

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:12 am
by Job
8:55 a.m. (EST) – Thursday 7th September, 1933

"I can rent ya room twenty-one, but can't give ya the key to the door that connects to room twenty-three. The cops know about that door, mister.

"Room'll be two bucks."
Once you pay the clerk, he hands you the key to room twenty-one.

"Check out by noon tomorrow or it's another two bucks."

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:12 pm
by BenTheRat
"Come on, cops will never know. I'll be in and out and not make a sound. In fact, I'll be checked out and room 21 will be available for rent again. What harm is there. Promise I won't touch a thing." Martin goes on.
Persuade,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3304810/]Persuade roll: target = 45% (1d100=76)[/url]
After seeing this wasn't doing much good. He turns to George. "What do you think? shall I check out the adjoining room to see if there is a way in. Or we can talk to the cop and see if he is a little more flexible. Or both."

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:57 pm
by Anatomist
BenTheRat wrote:He turns to George. "What do you think? shall I check out the adjoining room to see if there is a way in. Or we can talk to the cop and see if he is a little more flexible. Or both."
George takes Martin some steps away from the counter. 'Well yes' 'lets check 21 out' 'let see what we can get out of it'

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:37 pm
by Job
The clerk shakes his head at your request for the key, and says, "Sorry. I have to keep it in case the cops ask for it."

George and Martin take the stairway up to the second floor. The policeman in front of room twenty-three is directly across from the top of the stairs, reading a newspaper. He looks up and studies you as you climb the stairs, but says not a word.

You can see the door to room twenty-one just down hallway to the right. The carpeting and wall coverings in this hotel are something out of a nightmare; filthy, full of holes, puke-green in color.

Job. (the tortured one).

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:09 am
by BenTheRat
We head on in "hello there sir," as Martin pass by on the way to room 21.
ooc,do I happen to know this cop?
Once in room 21, I'll search the room for anyway to get into room 23 quietly.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:43 pm
by Anatomist
BenTheRat wrote: "hello there Sir
George nods to the policeman, touching the rim of his hat. 'Good day to you sir'

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:37 pm
by Job
BenTheRat wrote:We head on in "hello there sir," as Martin pass by on the way to room 21.
OOC with Job Response,QUESTION from MARTIN: do I happen to know this cop? ANSWER from Job: No, you've never seen this policeman before. He appears to be a low-level grunt.
Anatomist wrote:George nods to the policeman, touching the rim of his hat. 'Good day to you sir'
After looking you over for a moment, the policeman seems disinterested in your passing, straightens the fold of his newspaper and returns to reading it.

BenTheRat wrote:Once in room 21, I'll search the room for anyway to get into room 23 quietly.
You unlock the door to room twenty-one, enter, and close the door. The room appears to not yet have been cleaned; it includes an unmade bed, a chair and table, an empty pitcher and basin, and a cracked mirror. And also a locked door along the wall adjoining room twenty-three, connecting the two rooms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:04 pm
by Anatomist
George moves to the window and checks if there is a balcony.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:09 am
by Job
9:00 a.m. (EST) – Thursday 7th September, 1933
Anatomist wrote:George moves to the window and checks if there is a balcony.
There is no balcony or fire escape. The drop to the alley below is about fifteen feet from the window sill.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:48 am
by Job

Martin moves over to the adjoining door and places his ear against it, listening. Moments later, he drops to his knee and looks through the keyhole. He looks over at George and shakes his head.

He stands up and gently turns the doorknob, then gives it a slight tug, but frowns. The door did not budge. He next examines the hinges on the door, then slowly turns to look over at George with a mischievous grin.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:12 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote: Martin moves over to the adjoining door and places his ear against it, listening. Moments later, he drops to his knee and looks through the keyhole. He looks over at George and shakes his head.

He stands up and gently turns the doorknob, then gives it a slight tug, but frowns. The door did not budge. He next examines the hinges on the door, then slowly turns to look over at George with a mischievous grin.

Job. (the tortured one)
'oh, dont say...'

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:32 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:'oh, dont say...'
Martin moved next to George, leaned in and said in a low voice, "The hinges. The wood is old and dry and I think that we can pry them off, but we need a tool..." Martin then began looking around the room.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:07 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:'oh, dont say...'
Martin moved next to George, leaned in and said in a low voice, "The hinges. The wood is old and dry and I think that we can pry them off, but we need a tool..." Martin then began looking around the room.

Job. (the tortured one)
George starts looking and dont spot anything quite useful.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:01 pm
by Job
Opening a drawer in the room's small desk, Martin pulled out a metal letter opener and shrugged, whispering to George, "I guess that this will have to do."

He went back to the door that connected this room with Captain Douglas' room and started chipping at the wood around the hinges. "I hope that the cop in the hallway doesn't hear this."

Ten minutes later, Martin was able to pry the top of the door away from the doorframe, but the wood suddenly split and produced a loud cracking sound, causing Martin to grimace. He immediately stopped his efforts at forcing the door out and returned to digging the hinges free.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:35 pm
by Anatomist
'When your almost done ill go outside and distract the cop' 'i got a plan'

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:38 am
by Job
9:10 a.m. (EST) – Thursday 7th September, 1933

Martin stopped chiseling at the door's hinges for a moment to listen, then looked at George in concern and said, "You'd better use your plan now then, because I hear the patrolman in the hall moving towards our room!"

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:00 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Martin stopped chiseling at the door's hinges for a moment to listen, then looked at George in concern and said, "You'd better use your plan now then, because I hear the patrolman in the hall moving towards our room!"

Job. (the tortured one)
George walks quite fast to the door opening it and stepping outside. 'Officer, Sir' 'Carl Julius here' 'excuse me Sir, but why are you guarding this floor, Sir?' 'I do a lot of studying and if this is going to be a loud floor i rather change Hotel' As he said this he moved towards the top of the stair standing there leaning his weight on the railings.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:54 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:George walks quite fast to the door opening it and stepping outside. 'Officer, Sir' 'Carl Julius here' 'excuse me Sir, but why are you guarding this floor, Sir?' 'I do a lot of studying and if this is going to be a loud floor i rather change Hotel' As he said this he moved towards the top of the stair standing there leaning his weight on the railings.
The policeman stops in midstride as he was walking towards George, and says, "I am here on police business, Mr. Julius, that is all that I can tell you. I heard a loud noise down this hallway, just as you did. I'll check the other rooms."

He walks past George (and past George's room 21) and starts knocking on doors further down the hallway.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:13 pm
by Anatomist

George will wait and see what the Cop does further down the hall.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:20 pm
by Job
The policeman used his keys to open the door across the hall and entered that room. He did not seem to be interested in George, or George's room. After a minute, the policeman emerged back out into the hallway, closed and locked the room's door, and looked up at George, asking, "Is everything OK?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one).

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:20 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:The policeman used his keys to open the door across the hall and entered that room. He did not seem to be interested in George, or George's room. After a minute, the policeman emerged back out into the hallway, closed and locked the room's door, and looked up at George, asking, "Is everything OK?"

Job. (the tortured one).
'Yes yes' 'im just curious' '...and i dont feel very well i rather lean on to this railway'

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:27 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:'Yes yes' 'im just curious' '...and i dont feel very well i rather lean on to this railway'
The cop stood there for a moment, eyeballing George, then turned and continued down the hall, knocking on the next room's door, opening it with his key, and entering. The policeman seems to have been fooled by George's ruse because he passed by their room and continued down the hall.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:25 pm
by Job
After the policeman moves further down the hallway, the door to George's room cracks open an inch and George sees Martin LeBlanc waving at him to come back into their room.

Job. (the tortured one).

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:10 am
by Anatomist
George walks into the room ad while turning to see the door he asks 'did you already enter the neighbour room?'

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:17 am
by Job
9:20 a.m. (EST) – Thursday 7th September, 1933
Anatomist wrote:George walks into the room and while turning to see the door he asks 'Did you already enter the neighbour room?'
"No, not yet. Come on, I chiseled the hinges free from the doorframe, but I need your help to pull this door out. I was afraid that if I pulled the door from its frame by myself, it might fall over and the noise would attract attention," says Martin.

Together, George and Martin were able to quietly pry the door out and they gingerly set it down next to the opening. Captain Douglas' room is a disaster and it apparently has been searched by others, and none too gently. The former occupant's belongings are strewn about, his luggage lies opened, and the bed linens are torn from the mattress. The floor is covered with scraps and shards of items that have been carelessly smashed.

"What a mess," hissed Martin. "George, you're a scientist and are trained to find information where others see nothing but chaos. Why don't you search the room while I keep a lookout for the cops?"

Job. (the tortured one).

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:47 pm
by Anatomist
'Ill do what i can' George starts a search and will use some time one it trying to not miss a clue.
GM,I did a mistake at rolling dice. I only rolled one dice where i wanted to make 5 (to reflect George's time use), made a second roll of 5 wich results are: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3429628/]Spot Hidden ( 1d100=22, 1d100=2, 1d100=98, 1d100=28, 1d100=18)[/url]

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:43 pm
by Job
George steps carefully into the room, trying to avoid making any noise or moving any items. This is difficult because of sheer number of things that litter the floor, including broken glass, papers, clothing, cups, and trash. George sees a number of areas of interest:
General Instructions,I've numbered the descriptions below for six areas that are of obvious interest that George sees from the adjoining doorway. This is a complex scene, so you should think about the order which George will look at these areas and whether he'll examine them in detail so that I'll have an idea of how much time he'll spend on each. For example: [list]First, #3 look very carefully for up to 5 minutes, then #1 quick scan no more than 30 seconds, then #4 take each item and put all in pocket, then #5 look over good but not for long, then #2 don't look at, then #6 brief look out and at edges.[/list] In your next post, you can keep it simple. You only need to tell me which numbered area he'll look at first. Or if you want, you can give me the first two or three areas that you'll look at (this will make our play-by-post move quicker). It's up to you how detailed you want to get. NOTE: [u]moving things may make noise[/u], especially if the item is large, like a desk or the mattress.
1. Stepping over an open, empty suitcase, he spots a framed picture on the floor with the protective glass broken, next to an overturned wooden chair. It appears to be of a seagoing vessel, but he'll need to move some papers and pick it up to get a better look.
OOC,Let me know how George wants to deal with the suitcase and this picture
2. Between the chair and the desk are a number of articles of clothing lying on the floor.
OOC,Will George pick up or move or examine these?
3. As he moves to the far wall, George sees that both drawers have been removed from the room's desk and dumped on the floor. As he moves closer to the desk, George sees that there are papers, letters, and personal effects scattered in a wide area. If George stops to carefully gather all of these items, it will take a number of minutes of time. The edge of a small bound book is peeking out from below a few letters near one of the drawers.
OOC,Does George want to gather all of the papers? Does he take the book? Does he wish to examine each item as he picks them up (which would take many more minutes)?

4. Under the desk is an overturned wastebasket. There are balled-up scraps of paper that litter the desktop and also under the desk from the basket.
OOC,Does George want to gather all of the papers? Does he wish to examine each item as he picks them up, smoothing them out to read them (which would take many more minutes)?
5. The bed is stripped, and the mattress is askew.
OOC,Does George want to examine the bed and under it?
6. The window is slightly open, with its curtains fluttering gently.

Job. (The tortured one)
*Map Copyright 1999 by Chaosium, Inc. A large proportion of the text is copyright 1999 by Charles and Janyce Engan. (with edits by Keeper)

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:13 pm
by Anatomist
ooc:,As of the picture George stands at the doorway to "zone" five: the bed. The description below follows the logic from there. If George stands anywhere else, please tell me to adjust the description.
George opened his eyes wide open watching his feet and where he could put them without making any noise. The scene was mayhem! His brain whent into a concentrated state of mind. He tried to remember lectures on Investigation he had attended to, trying to remember how accurate this really had to be.

He first examines the bed and under it (#5), then stepping over an open, empty suitcase, he spots a framed picture on the floor with the protective glass broken George picks it up to get a better look (#1) not intending to take this with him,(skips #2), then George sees that there are papers, letters, and personal effects scattered in a wide area, George picks those up and will take a look at each when he gets out of the room. The edge of a small bound book is peeking out from below a few letters near one of the drawers, George picks this book up putting it in his pocket (#3), then ignores the overturned wastebasket (#4) moving to the open window taking a carefull look (#6).
George has been moving very carefully in the room, he turns around and while moving back he will take a look at the articles, grabbing them for later examination(#2).

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:05 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:George opened his eyes wide open watching his feet and where he could put them without making any noise. The scene was mayhem! His brain whent into a concentrated state of mind. He tried to remember lectures on Investigation he had attended to, trying to remember how accurate this really had to be.

#5: He first examines the bed and under it
AREA #5: The matress is well-used and stained, but with no apparent areas where items might be hidden. George moves a few pieces of broken glass and paper at his feet, gets down on his hands and knees, and looks under the bed. Amidst the debris, George spots a broken picture frame in the far corner. George can't reach it without moving the bed (or a lot of debris under the bed). He can reach the frame more easily if he first walks to the side of the bed near the window.
George gets the frame later,[color=#00BF00]NOTE: I assume that George will do this when he gets near the window. See the green text under area #6. [/color]
Anatomist wrote:#1: then stepping over an open, empty suitcase, he spots a framed picture on the floor with the protective glass broken George picks it up to get a better look (#1) not intending to take this with him
AREA #1: The photograph remains in the frame without the glass, and the two ships are named the Arkham and the Miskatonic. A date of 1930 is written in ink on the bottom corner. Does he take this photo?
Anatomist wrote:skips #2
AREA #2: Skipped.
Anatomist wrote:#3: then George sees that there are papers, letters, and personal effects scattered in a wide area, George picks those up and will take a look at each when he gets out of the room. The edge of a small bound book is peeking out from below a few letters near one of the drawers, George picks this book up putting it in his pocket.
AREA #3: It takes approximately five minutes for George to carefully (without making much noise) gather the letters, certificates, and papers. There are a lot of them, and many are handwritten. George collects a stack that is about an inch thick. The small bound journal is a ship's log from one of Douglas' voyages. When George picks it up (along with the nearby letters and papers), he notices that there are a number of other similar journals under the papers.
George collects the books,There are a total of 5 journals; I assume that George collects all of them and adds them to his pile of papers.
Anatomist wrote:#4: then ignores the overturned wastebasket (#4)
AREA #4: Ignored.
Anatomist wrote:#6: moving to the open window taking a careful look, then attempts to retrieve the picture frame in the corner under the bed
AREA#6: George finds nothing of interest with the window. In the alley below, there is a rather large pile of trash that lies directly underneath this window. George temporarily puts the papers and journals on the bed, then carefully moves a number of items so that he may lie flat on the floor and reach under the bed to retrieve the picture frame. The frame is entirely broken, and he gathers the pieces and the picture. As he stands up, he sees that there are two men in the picture...

...when Martin pokes his head into the doorway and urgently whispers, "George! I heard a number of cars pull up in front of the hotel, and car doors slamming! We need to get out of here!" George quickly gathers the journals and papers from the bed.
Anatomist wrote:George has been moving very carefully in the room, he turns around and while moving back he will take a look at the articles, grabbing them for later examination(#2).
No time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:14 pm
by Anatomist
George on instinct pulls off his jacket and ties it around the articles and journals and let the drop down on the pile of trash beneath. He then moves as quick he can towards Martin. 'Martin, if anyone ask us anything' 'ill fake ill and you help me get to the doctor' 'the evidence is in the alley in my jacket' 'we need it badly'

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:21 pm
by Job
Martin looks worried and whispers, "George, I don't think that we should risk getting stopped and questioned by the cops! We'll be arrested for tampering with evidence, breaking and entering, or worse! The SS Gabrielle will leave New York without us!"

Martin cracks open Room 21's door to the hallway, looks and listens for a moment, then quietly closes the door and turns back to George, saying, "It's definitely the police! They're questioning the clerk." He moves quickly to the window and looks out, "Geez, that's a long drop to the stone pavement below! If we jump from this window, we might break an ankle. Maybe we should just put that door back into place between the rooms and hide here. And hope that they don't notice that we broke in..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:54 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Image
Martin looks worried and whispers, "George, I don't think that we should risk getting stopped and questioned by the cops! We'll be arrested for tampering with evidence, breaking and entering, or worse! The SS Gabrielle will leave New York without us!"

Martin cracks open Room 21's door to the hallway, looks and listens for a moment, then quietly closes the door and turns back to George, saying, "It's definitely the police! They're questioning the clerk." He moves quickly to the window and looks out, "Geez, that's a long drop to the stone pavement below! If we jump from this window, we might break an ankle. Maybe we should just put that door back into place between the rooms and hide here. And hope that they don't notice that we broke in..."

Job. (the tortured one)
'God almighty, lets jump' and without seeing back George did something he never thought he will, he sat on the window and slides out and down towards the pile of trash in the alleyway below

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:17 pm
by Job
9:40 a.m. (EST) – Thursday 7th September, 1933
George jumping,In your above post, I changed your word "dumpster" to "piles of trash"; no dumpster around. ;) Also,from your wording, I assume that George ran through Captain Douglas' room and jumped from that window, which had the trash below it. You'll need to make a Jump roll! If you are successful, then George is not hurt. You may describe the result, if you want, whether good or bad. :D
Job. (The tortured one)

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:46 pm
by Anatomist
George felt his bottom slide of the window 'oh God' he said to himself and closed his eyes hoping it would go ok. He fell with a *thump* on top of something not to hard, but hard enough to make his but hurt a bit. He grabed his jacket as fast he could moved out of the way to look up and see after Martin.
ooc,epic roll :)

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:50 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:George felt his bottom slide of the window 'oh God' he said to himself and closed his eyes hoping it would go ok. He fell with a *thump* on top of something not to hard, but hard enough to make his but hurt a bit. He grabed his jacket as fast he could moved out of the way to look up and see after Martin.
As George stood, he felt a sharp pain in his butt cheek and noticed that there was a tear in his pants and some blood. He also noticed clumps and smears of rotten garbage on his clothing--along with a god-awful stench!

George looked up to see Martin lower himself from the window, then jump the remaining distance into the trash pile. Martin landed relatively well with only a minor cut on his arm. Like George, however, Martin's clothing was wet with slime and pieces of spoiled food that carried the smell of something that had been dead for days.

Because of their cat-like jumps, neither George nor Martin had made much noise and they didn't appear to have attracted any attention.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:51 am
by Anatomist
'Lets go Martin' 'To the Gabrielle' George walks calmly to the street, peeks around the corner in both direction, if the coast is clear he will turn away from the Hotel and look for a cab.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:23 am
by Job
Martin climbs from the pile of rubbish, then brushes something brownish--it looked like a wilted cabbage leaf--from his shirt, leaving behind a sizeable smeared brown stain. He looks up at George, and says, "A heck of a neat jump there, George old boy! I'm impressed. OK, yes, let's get out of here."

As the two explorers walk casually from the alleyway, turning in the opposite direction of a number of police cars parked in front of the hotel, Martin sniffs and comments to George, "I don't want to be rude, George-O, but... you do know that you smell a bit ripe, eh?"

A moment later, he breaks out in a laugh and hails a cab.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:09 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote: As the two explorers walk casually from the alleyway, turning in the opposite direction of a number of police cars parked in front of the hotel, Martin sniffs and comments to George, "I don't want to be rude, George-O, but... you do know that you smell a bit ripe, eh?"
'oh God' ' George says again 'I dont even want to start think on why kind of microbes we got on us by now' 'You know theres a new drug called Penicillin taht can be used to fight these invisible microorganisms?' 'ah... you might now' 'its quite new' George raises his hand to a cab waving it in.

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:39 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:'oh God' ' George says again 'I dont even want to start think on why kind of microbes we got on us by now' 'You know theres a new drug called Penicillin taht can be used to fight these invisible microorganisms?' 'ah... you might now' 'its quite new' George raises his hand to a cab waving it in.
Martin looks at George then chuckles, saying, "I'll leave that up to you, George. Biology is not my field."

A short time later, a cab pulled over to pick up the two explorers. "Take us to pier seventy-four," said Martin, as he climbed into the car with George. The cabbie pulled away from the curb, then almost immediately began sniffing and rubbing his nose and peering into the rear view mirror.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:27 pm
by Job
9:50 a.m. (EST) – Thursday 7th September, 1933

Only two blocks later, the cab driver pulled over and jumped from his car, opening the door on Martin's side and yelling, "Get out please! You stink up my cab!"

Martin did his best to persuade the cab driver to drive him and George the rest of the way to the docks, but he was not successful, unfortunately. The red-faced cab driver continued to holler at the two explorers, "NO! You smell like dead fish! It will take me weeks to get this smell out. No one will take my cab!"

Martin offered him five dollars, but again the driver refused. "No. Out you go!"

Job. (the tortured one)

Re: CHAPTER 2: IC - Death of a Sea Captain [George Barrow]

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:14 pm
by Job
George offered an additional five dollars to the cab driver, saying, "Here. This money plus my friend's money will pay for your cab to be cleaned. And a lot more!"

The cabbie sighed and took the money, then walked to the back of the car and opened the trunk. He rummaged around in the trunk and returned with a blanket. After urging George and Martin from the vehicle, he covered the seat and floor then told them to get back in.

The cabbie hopped back into his cab and finished driving them to the pier.

Along the way, George and Martin began examining the papers, journals, and photos from Captain Douglas' room.
Items found,[list]2 PHOTOS [list][*]The photo that George found under the bed depicts two men in their late middle years, one in a captain's uniform. It is obvious that the two are brothers. The photo is dated 1929. [*]The other photo (already briefly examined by George in the room) is of two ships; the[i] Arkham [/i]and the [i]Miskatonic[/i], with a date of 1930 written in ink in the bottom corner. Nothing else to add.[/list] 5 SMALL BOUND JOURNALS [list][*]From a quick glance, these journals date from 1920 through 1933. The entries are brief, infrequent, and mainly technical shipboard information (e.g. miles traveled, crew discipline, ship repairs, etc.) These will take additional time to read through.[/list] PAPERS, LETTERS, PERSONAL EFFECTS [list][*]The pile of papers contain packets of letters from Captain Douglas' brother, most of which appear to be personal, rather bland and likely to be only important to Captain Douglas. [*]A few seaman's certificates that are standard items for a Captain to hand out to his crewmen; not of interest. [*]A crumpled sheet of paper with the following handwritten note: [color=#0000FF][i]"A. Lexington QB-0505". [/color][/i]Several checkmarks are ticked next to the phone number. [*]There is one--apparently unfinished--letter from Captain Douglas to someone named Philip that seems relevant perhaps. [img]http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab137/jdeleski/BtMoM/Newspaper%20Articles%20and%20Notes/CaptainDouglasLetter.jpg[/img] [url=http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab137/jdeleski/BtMoM/Newspaper%20Articles%20and%20Notes/CaptainDouglasLetter.jpg]Direct link to image of the letter[/url][/list][/list]
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:55 pm
by Anatomist

'Oh God' 'this letter has lots of clues on what might have happen to the Captain' George looks worried at Martin 'Lady Margaret' 'Its that name familiar to you?' he shuffles the items. 'Look at this photo' 'that must be his brother' 'we could try to locate him' 'maybe it's philip'. He takes out his handkerchief to cleanse his glasses 'these 5 small journals will do for bedtime stories i think'. George takes out a note from the pile'Look... A. Lexington QB-0505' 'wow, right?'

'We need to hurry back' 'Moore and Starkweather will be pleased to see all this'
ooc,i asume i need to roll som stuff to get more info on what Martin and George know about the ships Arkham and Lady Margaret, Who the man on the photo is, etc. George will anyways ask Moore and Starweather when they get to the ship. Maybe you want to wait with rolling until then?

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:28 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:'Oh God' 'this letter has lots of clues on what might have happen to the Captain' George looks worried at Martin 'Lady Margaret' 'Its that name familiar to you?'
Martin leans over and looks at the letter, "No. No, I've never heard of the Lady Margaret. I could do some research at the Times Building if no one at the Gabrielle has any information."
Anatomist wrote:He shuffles the items. 'Look at this photo' 'that must be his brother' 'we could try to locate him' 'maybe it's philip'.
"Yes, I think that you're correct, George! I wonder when the funeral will take place? Philip is likely to be there. I'll make a call when we get back," says Martin.
Anatomist wrote:George takes out a note from the pile'Look... A. Lexington QB-0505' 'wow, right?'
"A. Lexington... Acacia Lexington, possibly. And her phone number. If it is indeed Acacia, she and our Commander had some sort of a disagreement," observes Martin.
Response from Job,[quote="Anatomist"]i asume i need to roll som stuff to get more info on what Martin and George know about the ships Arkham and Lady Margaret, Who the man on the photo is, etc. George will anyways ask Moore and Starweather when they get to the ship. Maybe you want to wait with rolling until then?[/quote] No rolling needed yet, unless you want to make some sort of History or Idea check. Martin has no further information than what I've described above.
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:04 am
by Anatomist

'Lets change clothes at the ship inform Moore and Starkweather then we can go to the times' 'i remember that you was wanting to go to the Police station as well' George peeks out the window looking if they where getting near the pier.

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:12 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:'Lets change clothes at the ship inform Moore and Starkweather then we can go to the times' 'i remember that you was wanting to go to the Police station as well' George peeks out the window looking if they where getting near the pier.
Martin looks over at George and says, "Yes, we must see them immediately! Well, you're right, maybe after we change our clothes."

Looking in the rear view mirror, you see that that driver pulled his shirt up over his mouth and nose, almost as if he were trying to block the effects of inhaling a noxious gas.
Spoiler:
With the actions going on here in our campaign (simultaneously in real life time, but not for another few weeks in game time), I couldn't resist that comment! ;)
As the cab finally pulled up to the curb at Pier 74, the driver wrenched open his door and leaped from his seat, gasping for breath. "Out! Out you go now!"

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:13 am
by Anatomist

'Hurry up Martin' 'lets go' George secures the evidence in his jacket and pockets walking resolute towards the pier gate showing his id to the guard 'Sorry Sir i dont stay for some small talk' 'i guess you can smell that we urge to change our clothes' George dont wait for a reply and walks on towards the ship.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:34 pm
by Job
Martin moved quickly alongside George, waving at the guard, then running down the dock and up the gangway to the Gabrielle's main deck. They checked in with the ship's Second Officer, Arthur Ballard, at the top of the gangway and hurriedly moved into the superstructure to their separate cabins.

After closing his cabin door, Martin stripped down naked. He was extremely happy to get out of his soiled clothing! I really need a shower, he thought to himself, but George will probably be waiting for me. He pulled on a fresh shirt and trousers, socks and his second pair of shoes, and sniffed at himself, grimacing. I do need a shower! He kicked his dirty clothes into a corner, expecting to take care of them later, and left his cabin to enter the central Ship's Mess area, looking for George.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:12 am
by Anatomist
George hurries to his cabin looking on the way for any officer or crew member he crosses his way with Jack Whitney the Chief Steward 'Mr.Whitney' 'Please got Mr.Moore and tell him to meet me in my laboratory as fast he can, he is to get a grab on Starkweather if he can' 'Thank you Sir for the inconvenience'
At his cabin he grabs a clean set of clothes puts them in a bag and walks out again spotting Martin 'Martin hey follow me to the Lab' he dont stop for a reply, lost in thoughts and his feet just lead him to his lab.

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:30 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:George hurries to his cabin looking on the way for any officer or crew member he crosses his way with Jack Whitney the Chief Steward 'Mr.Whitney' 'Please got Mr.Moore and tell him to meet me in my laboratory as fast he can, he is to get a grab on Starkweather if he can' 'Thank you Sir for the inconvenience'
At his cabin he grabs a clean set of clothes puts them in a bag and walks out again spotting Martin 'Martin hey follow me to the Lab' he dont stop for a reply, lost in thoughts and his feet just lead him to his lab.
Martin followed George out of Gabrielle's superstructure and across the main deck to the hatch for Tweendeck Hold number three. Professor Moore had given George his own key to access this hold which contained all of his equipment and non-hazardous chemicals. After George unlocked the hatch, Martin followed him down the ladder into the space which was crammed with supplies. He hurried after the scientist, moving through narrow aisles stacked with wooden crates, sacks, coiled rope and chains, and racks of small equipment, to finally end at a very small five-foot-by-five-foot area that George called "his lab".

Directly underneath one of the cluster lights that dangled from the ceiling, a row of wooden boxes were neatly labeled and carefully strapped to the top of a wooden table. Bound notebooks were wedged between the boxes and an adjacent rack of equipment. Additional wooden boxes, similarly labeled, were meticulously organized and stowed underneath. A chair was tucked into one of the few open corners.

"This is your lab?" queried Martin with a chuckle.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:03 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:
"This is your lab?" queried Martin with a chuckle.
George looked at him as he did not understand what Martin just said. 'Martin do me a favor take those gloves over on and take a look at the evidence while i change clothes' 'maybe if you take a good look at it you can find out some more about them' George took off his clothes and grabbed a solution on the desk marked 98% 'I truly fear these microbes' 'this will deal with them' he then took a piece of cloth starting washing himself with the solution where he was exposed to the garbage. 'I hope Moore and Starkweather are on their ways...' 'they will go in for a surprise with these things we have gathered'

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:48 pm
by Job
Martin begins to sort through the stack of papers that George had "borrowed" from Captain Douglas' room, then happens to look up, noticing George's ablutions. "Hey, that's a swell idea! Do you have an extra cloth?"

About a minute later, Martin sees a dark shadow eclipse the light from the hatch above, and hears the tapping of footsteps down the metal ladder, followed by Professor Moore's echoing voice, "George? You have something for me?" The bespectacled professor, clipboard in hand, emerges from an aisle and walks towards George and Martin.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:36 pm
by Anatomist

'If we have dear doctor' 'we got many many clues to dig trough' 'you need to see this' George starts handing him the evidence explaining what they had deducted so far.

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:01 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:'If we have dear doctor' 'we got many many clues to dig trough' 'you need to see this' George starts handing him the evidence explaining what they had deducted so far.
Professor Moore glances at the pile of papers and books and photos, then looks up at George and Martin, saying, "That's quite a collection, gentlemen! All of these were in Captain Douglas' room? I'm surprised that the police were willing to let you have these items!"

Martin responded by looking down at the floor and mumbling, "Yes, um, George was very persuasive."

Professor Moore looked skeptically at Martin, and said, "Yes... We won't soon be hearing from a detective, will we?" Then he began methodically studying the material and taking notes on his clipboard.

PHOTO OF TWO SHIPS
Professor Moore examined the photo of the two ships, the Arkham and the Miskatonic, and comments, "Yes, this photo was taken just before Captain Douglas left on the Miskatonic Expedition to Antarctica in 1930."

PHOTO OF TWO MEN
Moore studies the photo for a minute and says, "Hmm. One of these men is definitely Captain Douglas, and the other looks to be a relative of his. I believe that the Captain had a brother."

FIVE BOUND JOURNALS
The professor flipped through the pages of a few of the books, stating, "These are the Captain's logbooks from a number of his voyages. They probably contain a great deal of mundane details, but may also hold some clues and will require further study." He set them aside.

PAPERS AND LETTERS
Moore then began enthusiastically poring over the thick stack of papers in a similar fashion to how a ship's crewmen might wolf down a thick steak.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:57 pm
by Job
PAPERS, LETTERS, PERSONAL EFFECTS
  • Moore examined the crumpled sheet of paper with the following handwritten note: "A. Lexington QB-0505".Several checkmarks are ticked next to the phone number.
    "Hmm," pondered the Professor. "What could Captain Douglas have wanted with Acacia Lexington?"
  • He stopped and studied the apparently unfinished letter from Captain Douglas to someone named Philip.
    After reading over this letter, Professor Moore looked up at the two men. "This is a letter from Captain Douglas' to his brother Philip. I find it quite disturbing, gentlemen, especially the fact that he had no intention of joining our expedition. He also mentions a German man who was following him."
    Direct link to image of the letter
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:56 pm
by Anatomist

George reaches for some clean clothes and start pulling his pants on again. 'Well... we must find this Philip and ask him the connection between his brother and Acacia Lexington'

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:56 pm
by Anatomist

George reaches for some clean clothes and start pulling his pants on again. 'Well... we must find this Philip and ask him the connection between his brother and Acacia Lexington' 'We can start there... Or take that trip to the Police Station' George looks at Martin seeing if he gets any reaction out of him

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:55 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:George reaches for some clean clothes and start pulling his pants on again. 'Well... we must find this Philip and ask him the connection between his brother and Acacia Lexington' 'We can start there... Or take that trip to the Police Station' George looks at Martin seeing if he gets any reaction out of him
Martin hesitates and runs a hand through his hair, apparently in thought, and then looks at George, saying, "We could pay a visit to Miss Lexington. We can get her address from my contacts at the Times."

Professor Moore interrupts, "I would like you gentlemen to attend Captain Douglas' funeral. Commander Starkweather and I are planning to go. It's important for the expedition and its members to pay proper tribute to the man. Once it's over, you should be able to find an opportunity to take Philip aside for a private conversation."

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:11 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:George reaches for some clean clothes and start pulling his pants on again. 'Well... we must find this Philip and ask him the connection between his brother and Acacia Lexington' 'We can start there... Or take that trip to the Police Station' George looks at Martin seeing if he gets any reaction out of him
Martin hesitates and runs a hand through his hair, apparently in thought, and then looks at George, saying, "We could pay a visit to Miss Lexington. We can get her address from my contacts at the Times."

Professor Moore interrupts, "I would like you gentlemen to attend Captain Douglas' funeral. Commander Starkweather and I are planning to go. It's important for the expedition and its members to pay proper tribute to the man. Once it's over, you should be able to find an opportunity to take Philip aside for a private conversation."

Job. (the tortured one)
'Good idea Martin' 'and yes Dr.Moore' 'i suspect that we might be lucky and find Miss.Lexington at the funeral' 'seems she had a deep conecction to Captain Doouglas' 'Dr.Moore when are the services?'

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:15 pm
by Job
12:00 noon (EST) – Thursday 7th September, 1933

Professor Moore looks up from his note taking and says, "Captain Douglas' funeral is tomorrow morning at Saint Bridget Cemetery in Connecticut. Commander Starkweather and I plan to leave the docks at approximately five o'clock tomorrow morning as it will take over two hours to drive there.

"George and Martin, I need to show Captain Douglas' letter to the Commander. He also must know of your findings, so let us proceed to his cabin."

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:47 pm
by Anatomist
'Let's go'
George puts on a clean coat and walks towards Starkweathers cabin

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:03 pm
by Job
The three men walk into the owner's suite to find James Starkweather, clean-shaven and dressed in grey slacks and white collared shirt, reviewing a handful of papers in his hand while studying a large map of the Pacific hung on one of the room's dark wood-panelled walls. You notice that the map is decorated with white string that quite obviously traces the path of the S.S. Gabrielle, punctuated at the end with a small white flag in the middle of the Pacific.

Moore clears his throat and says, "James, Misters Barrow and LeBlanc have found some interesting information. You need to look at this."

The commander turns and strides toward you, saying, "Good morning, Bill. A right splendid morning at that! And hello gentlemen. What do you have for me?" Starkweather reaches out for the letter.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:17 pm
by Anatomist
ooc,not sure if you need a PC action here or not

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:19 pm
by Job
James Starkweather reads through the letter from the now-deceased Captain Douglas while pacing back and forth across the room, uttering an occasional "Harumph!" or "Bloody hell!" when he reads a passage that he obviously disagrees with. When he finishes, he stops and looks at you intently, asking, "You say that you found this letter in Captain Douglas' hotel room? He seemed to be in a very disturbed state when he wrote this, even for our captain. What do you make of his references to a German?"

George, Martin, and Professor Moore continue presenting the remainder of the materials to the Commander.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:59 pm
by Anatomist

'The German fella' ' yes i had him on my mind as well' 'Cap. douglas writes he met him in the hold' 'what place is that?' 'maybe we can get in touch with him as well'

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:22 am
by Job
""Here at the hold." Yes, that is a strange turn of a phrase. What do you think, Bill," asks Starkweather of William Moore.

Moore strokes his chin while thinking, then responds, "He's spent his life on ships, so maybe he's referring to where he's staying, at the hotel?"

Job.

Quote from the Book of Job:
"Out of whose womb came the ice?
And the hoary frost of Heaven, who hath gendered it?
The waters are hid as with a stone.
And the face of the deep is frozen."

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:13 am
by aine

Martin frowns, "It could also be a dockside tavern and 'The Hold' is a nickname." Martin looks at George, 'How are you feeling George? Are you up to a bit of dockside investigation and searching of the hotel or would you rather wait until after the funeral tomorrow?"
OOC,I'm not sure what time it is now.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:47 am
by Anatomist
aine wrote:Martin frowns, "It could also be a dockside tavern and 'The Hold' is a nickname." Martin looks at George, 'How are you feeling George? Are you up to a bit of dockside investigation and searching of the hotel or would you rather wait until after the funeral tomorrow?"
OOC,I'm not sure what time it is now.

'So many variables' 'hard to say what would be the perfect thing to do' 'If we go back to the Hotel we must disguise us self im pretty sure they are looking for us' 'after all we did "loan" this evidence...' George takes off his glasses and starts polishing them 'I dont really know' 'it might be MUCH safer going to the Hotel after the funeral' 'but this German might leave whatever place he's at, or even dear Sirs, he might turn up at the funeral' 'i tend towards waiting for the funeral and then go investigate the Geman business starting at the Hotel'

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:34 pm
by aine
"Juste assez. We have the early start after all. Maybe we don't see the German at the funeral so we try him at his hotel." He turns to Starkweather, Monsieur, may I ask the crew that they know of anywhere called 'The Hold'? Just in case it is not the hotel."

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:41 am
by Job
anatomist wrote:'So many variables' 'hard to say what would be the perfect thing to do' 'If we go back to the Hotel we must disguise us self im pretty sure they are looking for us' 'after all we did "loan" this evidence...' George takes off his glasses and starts polishing them 'I dont really know' 'it might be MUCH safer going to the Hotel after the funeral' 'but this German might leave whatever place he's at, or even dear Sirs, he might turn up at the funeral' 'i tend towards waiting for the funeral and then go investigate the Geman business starting at the Hotel'
aine wrote:"Juste assez. We have the early start after all. Maybe we don't see the German at the funeral so we try him at his hotel." He turns to Starkweather, Monsieur, may I ask the crew that they know of anywhere called 'The Hold'? Just in case it is not the hotel."
Professor Moore responded, "Gentlemen, I would say that waiting for tomorrow's funeral would be the best. We wouldn't want you to get arrested just prior to our departure now, would..."

"Just a moment Bill," interjected the Commander. "I think that you may be right that Captain Douglas was referring to the hotel when he mentioned a "hold", but I also think that being cautious is the wrong approach. This may be the perfect opportunity to gather more information and find that bloody German!" Starkweather began pacing the room and continued, "The police will be guarding that hotel like Buckingham Palace, so if we're correct, the German will be observing the building from a distance, waiting for an opening."

James spun on his heels to face the three men and enthusiastically declared, "And what better time to watch the watcher! "

"However, if we're wrong?" queried Professor Moore. He then gestured towards George and Martin, "And if the police spot our watching of the watcher? And arrest these two key members of our crew?"

The commander began pacing again, pondering.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:49 pm
by aine
"Then we make sure we are not spotted. Ha." Martin becomes enthused again at the thought of some action. "If we should split up, maybe look different; the police look for two men together, wearing those clothes that are now in the wash. We loiter near the hotel and watch those who are watching. As you say George, we must do the disguise! It will be worth it even just to mark our man for how will we know the German at the funeral? What do you say?"

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:54 am
by Anatomist
aine wrote:"Then we make sure we are not spotted. Ha." Martin becomes enthused again at the thought of some action. "If we should split up, maybe look different; the police look for two men together, wearing those clothes that are now in the wash. We loiter near the hotel and watch those who are watching. As you say George, we must do the disguise! It will be worth it even just to mark our man for how will we know the German at the funeral? What do you say?"

'Starkweather, Le Blanc' 'I will under no circumstances disguise myself' 'Im a professor! not a damn clown, no Sirs' 'I must insist on the funeral first, then with lowered risk, go and ask around the perimeter of the Hotel' 'The only concealment i will take is a large cloak a hat and the night'

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:53 am
by aine
Martin shrugs, "Absolutely old chap. I will go myself tonight. I will, no doubt, see nothing but as they say: nothing ventured, nothing gained." Martin turns to Starkweather. "Sir, could I borrow some clothes from one of your petty officers? Something sea-worthy but respectable and with nothing to identify me with this ship. I will have to shave this off." He gestures to his moustache, "But it will grow back and I should look sufficiently different I hope. Once I'm dressed I will leave immediately. Are you happy I should do this Sirs?"

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:09 pm
by Job
aine wrote:"Then we make sure we are not spotted. Ha." Martin becomes enthused again at the thought of some action. "If we should split up, maybe look different; the police look for two men together, wearing those clothes that are now in the wash. We loiter near the hotel and watch those who are watching. As you say George, we must do the disguise! It will be worth it even just to mark our man for how will we know the German at the funeral? What do you say?"
"Yes! Yes!" exclaims James Starkweather, as he becomes even more animated, pacing back and forth more furiously. "If we're going to find this man, then I'm sure that we'll find him near the hotel, near the scene of the crime! And the disguises would help to avoid becoming ensnared by the police."

"Wait. James, you can't be serious," Moore replies. "Even if we avoid the police--which is by no means assured--then we must all recognize that this German fellow is dangerous and could very well murder another."
Anatomist wrote:'Starkweather, Le Blanc' 'I will under no circumstances disguise myself' 'Im a professor! not a damn clown, no Sirs' 'I must insist on the funeral first, then with lowered risk, go and ask around the perimeter of the Hotel' 'The only concealment i will take is a large cloak a hat and the night'
Aine wrote:Martin shrugs, "Absolutely old chap. I will go myself tonight. I will, no doubt, see nothing but as they say: nothing ventured, nothing gained." Martin turns to Starkweather. "Sir, could I borrow some clothes from one of your petty officers? Something sea-worthy but respectable and with nothing to identify me with this ship. I will have to shave this off." He gestures to his moustache, "But it will grow back and I should look sufficiently different I hope. Once I'm dressed I will leave immediately. Are you happy I should do this Sirs?"
Moore nods and gestures towards the scientist, "I agree with George, this is not a time for playing detective. We're scientists and explorers, not trained sleuths or fighters. And the German will very likely attend the funeral, when we will have safety in numbers. Why risk our lives with this?"

James Starkweather stops pacing, rubs at his forehead, then scowls. "Bill. George. This is an opportunity to get at the bottom of the death of a good friend of mine. The police may never solve this crime, especially considering that we found evidence that they clearly overlooked! And that particular evidence is now no longer there for them to find." James looks over at Martin, "I admire your spunk, my good man, and you and I are in agreement that we need to do something, but you cannot go alone."

Professor Moore shakes his head and groans, "James, you're not going through with this! I can't support this. This is madness!"

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:27 am
by Anatomist

'Dont Sir' 'Dont risk the departure by doing such a mistake!' 'You would have to find another person then myself to go back there so soon after a grandiose escape from the Police!' 'The consequences are to high!' 'You would make a fool out of yourself if anyone get caught'

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:34 am
by aine
Martin feels a tad glum at the thought of inaction but waits to see what Starkweather and Moore say; if they lend him a man then it'll be safe enough, on his own it may be a different matter. "I've just had the thought, there may be the police presence at the funeral. If we are together, George, may they not recognise us then too?"
OOC,Are George and Martin on first name or surname terms?

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:06 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:'Dont Sir' 'Dont risk the departure by doing such a mistake!' 'You would have to find another person then myself to go back there so soon after a grandiose escape from the Police!' 'The consequences are to high!' 'You would make a fool out of yourself if anyone get caught'
The Commander turns to Dr. Barrow with a scowl, his face darkening scarlet, and Professor Moore quickly steps between them to grasp Starkweather's arm, saying, "Now James. Please think about this for a minute. Our good scientist's logic is sound even if his phrasing was somewhat indelicate. If George or Martin show up at the hotel, then they will be immediately recognized by the police. It hasn't been twenty-four hours since they were last there!"

James Starkweather looks at Professor Moore for a long moment, a crackling tension between them, then suddenly he bursts into laughter and claps his friend on the back. "Quite right, William. And you also, Mr. Barrow," he replies with a smile at George. "I was overcome with the urge to take action for Captain Douglas but, yes, the risk is very high."
Aine wrote:Martin feels a tad glum at the thought of inaction but waits to see what Starkweather and Moore say; if they lend him a man then it'll be safe enough, on his own it may be a different matter. "I've just had the thought, there may be the police presence at the funeral. If we are together, George, may they not recognise us then too?"
"Yes Martin, that's another problem," Professor Moore says, nodding. "I'm not certain that you and George should attend the funeral tomorrow. The police are sure to be watching the cemetary for any sign of suspicious characters."

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:47 pm
by aine
Image "I have been in similar situations before, in South America. As a journalist it is sometimes necessary when catching the story. Sirs, I can drive the automobile. I can be your chauffeur to the funeral tomorrow and I will have the cover and time to watch the other arrivals, have the talk with their drivers and so forth. George, if you change your appearance just a little and walk with the Commander and professor, hopefully the police will not link you with a burglary in a seedy hostel. Then between us we can cover the whole funeral and maybe find this Philip, the madame and the German fellow." Martin looks around the cabin and shrugs, "It is a plan, no?"

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:42 am
by Job
James Starkweather agrees with the group that they should not return to the hotel. He and Professor Moore ask that both Martin and George join them in attending the funeral for Captain Douglas.

"It's important for the expedition and its members to pay proper tribute to the man," states Commander Starkweather.

Captain Douglas' Funeral Notice in Sept 7th Afternoon NY Globe Newspaper

"You must each don some sort of disguise so that the police will not recognize you," urges the Professor. "Martin, I think that dressing as a chauffeur is a very good idea, and I'll ask our friends at the American Geographic Society to lend us an appropriate vehicle.

"George, what about you? Would you would be willing to dress in a naval officer's uniform? Most policemen are unlikely to question an officer of rank.

"Perhaps the two of you should also add eyeglasses and beards? Or trim your mustaches? You should both be sure avoid drawing attention and to try to blend in with the crowd."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:58 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:James Starkweather agrees with the group that they should not return to the hotel. He and Professor Moore ask that both Martin and George join them in attending the funeral for Captain Douglas.

"It's important for the expedition and its members to pay proper tribute to the man," states Commander Starkweather.

"You must each don some sort of disguise so that the police will not recognize you," urges the Professor. "George, what about you? Would you would be willing to dress in a naval officer's uniform? Most policemen are unlikely to question an officer of rank. Perhaps also add eyeglasses and beards? Or trim your mustaches? You should both be sure avoid drawing attention and to try to blend in with the crowd."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
'I find disguising myself rather derogatory' 'but i will do it for the expedition well departures sake' 'uniform and glasses are ok. I'll shave as soon i get a opportunity'

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:11 pm
by Job
Correction,[quote="Job"]Perhaps also add mustaches or eyeglasses? [/quote]Darn it! Both Martin and George already have mustaches! It isn't Professor Moore who is unobservant, it is the Keeper of BtMoM! Professor Moore would not have made that mistake. I'll make a couple of corrections: 1) I'll fix Professor Moore's comment and 2) I'll edit Anatomist's post which quoted Moore. Anatomist, I'll take the liberty of editing your post simply to save you the trouble of going in and fixing my mistake. I hope that this is OK. J.

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:10 pm
by aine
Martin nods, "I have a dark jacket and trousers, maybe the AGS will supply a cap with the car? I will be ready to meet you early tomorrow. What time and where shall we meet you and the car?" He bows his head and prepares to take his departure.
OOC,Martin doesn't have any jackets on his equipment list but this must be an oversight as every gentleman would have at least a dress coat and a day jacket. Can I assume he owns the minimum requirements?

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:15 pm
by Job
8:00 a.m. (EST) – Friday 8th September, 1933

Breakfasting on the morning of the 8th at the Amherst Hotel, Professor Moore asks if other members of the expedition would like to attend Captain Douglas' funeral. Only Peter Sykes is interested and he changes into his best set of dark, but worn, slacks and jacket. The drive from the hotel to St. Brigid's Cemetary on the outskirts of Brooklyn takes approximately a half hour.

The funeral is sparsely attended. Along with Starkweather, Moore, Sykes, Martin Leblanc and George Barrow, you recognize the Captain's brother, Philip Douglas, from his photograph. A well-dressed man stands talking with Philip and the pastor. A younger man dressed in brown pants and white shirt leans against a tree, smoking a cigarette, clasping a small notebook. Also present are two older men with the look of the sea about them and a certain Police Detective whom you met the night of the expedition's fundraiser, J.J. Hansen. Hansen smiles and touches the brim of his hat, nodding in acknowledgement of your group.

After everyone is assembled, the pastor reads a tribute to Commander Douglas that lists his accomplishments as a man of the sea, followed by a short prayer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:41 pm
by aine
OOC,I had a search at Enworld for the fundraiser but couldn't find it; I don't know how the team stands with Hansen and whether or not he is a menace to their present mission.
As there doesn't seem to be any other police presence, If Martin sees that Hansen recognises him from the fund raiser then he decides there is no point in maintaining the chauffeur charade, he nods to Hansen and stands a little apart at the funeral. If Hansen doesn't recognise him then he lets Moore and George out of the car before leaning nonchalantly against it and taking stock of any other cars and chauffeurs that abound.

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:46 pm
by Anatomist
aine wrote:
OOC,I had a search at Enworld for the fundraiser but couldn't find it; I don't know how the team stands with Hansen and whether or not he is a menace to their present mission.
As there doesn't seem to be any other police presence, If Martin sees that Hansen recognises him from the fund raiser then he decides there is no point in maintaining the chauffeur charade, he nods to Hansen and stands a little apart at the funeral. If Hansen doesn't recognise him then he lets Moore and George out of the car before leaning nonchalantly against it and taking stock of any other cars and chauffeurs that abound.
'Dr.Moore' 'Im rather reluctant to step out of the car' 'I dont know if the copper over there know of our affairs' 'it might be wise to test the waters first' 'would you be so kind to approach him and find out what kind of mood he is in?' 'Seems there's reporters out on the field as well' pointing at the younger man leaning on the three. 'Wonder if one of those older men have a german accent' 'what do you say Dr.Moore'

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:38 am
by Job
aine wrote:
Detective Hansen continuously scans the cemetary area and each member of the crowd. When Hansen's eyes meet Martin's, he gets a quizzical look on his face, then smirks slightly and returns Martin's nod.
The Fundraiser,[url=http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=139153&page=18]Here's a link to the Prologue on the EnWorld site.[/url] This link is not only to the prologue, but specifically to the thread's page where Detective Hansen interviews Martin.
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:16 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:'Dr.Moore' 'Im rather reluctant to step out of the car' 'I dont know if the copper over there know of our affairs' 'it might be wise to test the waters first' 'would you be so kind to approach him and find out what kind of mood he is in?' 'Seems there's reporters out on the field as well' pointing at the younger man leaning on the three. 'Wonder if one of those older men have a german accent' 'what do you say Dr.Moore'
"I recognize the detective. I spent a long while answering questions for him after the fundraiser. He's a clever and observant man, not to be underestimated. I don't recognize the other three, however. And yes, I'll go have a chat with our friend from the police."

Moore walks over and stands next to the detective. They exchange greetings and, after a brief pause, Detective Hansen leans in and says a few things to Moore, who nods and responds in a low voice. The conversation continues with each man listening carefully, neither man smiling or showing any emotion.

Job. (The tortured one)

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:31 pm
by aine

Martin permits a small smile to Hansen. He turns back to George who is still in the car (I think), "Well Professor, it looks like we have our perceptive friend Hansen on the scene, a young reporter, two possible work colleagues, Douglas' brother and a stranger. We might as well act normally else Hansen will smell the rat. I say we join the group properly, see if we can detect our German friend amongst them."

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:10 pm
by Anatomist
aine wrote:Martin permits a small smile to Hansen. He turns back to George who is still in the car (I think), "Well Professor, it looks like we have our perceptive friend Hansen on the scene, a young reporter, two possible work colleagues, Douglas' brother and a stranger. We might as well act normally else Hansen will smell the rat. I say we join the group properly, see if we can detect our German friend amongst them."
George nods to Martin, following him some steps behind.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:37 am
by Job
aine wrote:Martin permits a small smile to Hansen. He turns back to George who is still in the car (I think), "Well Professor, it looks like we have our perceptive friend Hansen on the scene, a young reporter, two possible work colleagues, Douglas' brother and a stranger. We might as well act normally else Hansen will smell the rat. I say we join the group properly, see if we can detect our German friend amongst them."
Anatomist wrote:George nods to Martin, following him some steps behind.
George and Martin walk up to the small gathering. The priest glances over to take note of both men, then continues on with his brief prayer, completing the ceremony. Afterwards, Philip Douglas shakes hands and begins talking with the pastor.

Meanwhile, the Police Detective ends his conversation with Professor Moore with a forced smile and clap on the back, then walks over to George and Martin, saying, "Mr. LeBlanc, am I correct? If my memory serves me, the last time that we met was at the Amherst Hotel following the death of one seaman. And here we are, paying our respects at the funeral of another. Quite a coincidence, wouldn't you say?

"Oh, and good morning Doctor Barrow," he says, while reaching out to shake hands. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Professor Moore mentioned that you were a highly regarded scientist who recently joined the expedition. He didn't mention that you were an officer, however," he comments while looking over your uniform.

You see Professor Moore standing next to Starkweather across the lawn, both men carefully watching your interactions with the detective. James Starkweather, for once, is uncharacteristically somber.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:57 am
by aine
"Mr. LeBlanc, am I correct? If my memory serves me, the last time that we met was at the Amherst Hotel following the death of one seaman. And here we are, paying our respects at the funeral of another. Quite a coincidence, wouldn't you say? "
"Good Morning Det. Hansen. Yes, quite a coincidence isn't it, it seems to be affecting you as much as me. Do you specialise in nautical mortality or are you here as a friend of the family?" Martin smiles pleasantly.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:25 pm
by Anatomist

George Barrow nods with his head to the Detective 'Oh, the Dr. only asked me about relevant information when we first met' 'cant see rank being of interest when i was hired based on my science background' 'escuse me Detective' George walks over to Dr.Moore and Starkweather 'God he makes me nervous he whispers once near the two men'

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:22 pm
by Job
aine wrote:"Good Morning Det. Hansen. Yes, quite a coincidence isn't it, it seems to be affecting you as much as me. Do you specialise in nautical mortality or are you here as a friend of the family?" Martin smiles pleasantly.
The detective laughs, replying, "Touche, Mr. Leblanc. Touche!

"I must admit that this case has attracted my professional attention considering the strange circumstances surrounding Captain Douglas' death. And the unusual events at the hotel the next day, with two unknown men breaking into the room, then escaping out of the window."

Anatomist wrote:George Barrow nods with his head to the Detective 'Oh, the Dr. only asked me about relevant information when we first met' 'cant see rank being of interest when i was hired based on my science background' 'escuse me Detective' George walks over to Dr.Moore and Starkweather 'God he makes me nervous he whispers once near the two men'
With a curious expression on his face, Detective Hansen watches George walk away then turns back to Martin, saying, "The desk clerk described the two men for me. Say, didn't you have a mustache when you and I last met at the fundraiser?"

Job. (the tortured one).

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:10 pm
by aine
Martin self-consciously rubs a thumb over his upper lip, "Indeed. But the ladies seem to prefer the latest fashion on a man so, no moustache. Not this week anyway." He shrugs, "They are so fickle." He gazes around at the other funeral goers, his eyes lingering longer on the well dressed man. "Tell me, Detective, are you acquainted with everyone here?"

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:11 pm
by Job
aine wrote:Martin self-consciously rubs a thumb over his upper lip, "Indeed. But the ladies seem to prefer the latest fashion on a man so, no moustache. Not this week anyway." He shrugs, "They are so fickle." He gazes around at the other funeral goers, his eyes lingering longer on the well dressed man. "Tell me, Detective, are you acquainted with everyone here?"
"Aside from yourself, Commander Starkweather, Doctor Moore and the pastor, no I'm afraid not. Although I intend to get acquainted," he says with a completely serious expression.

"Mr LeBlanc, would you mind telling me where you were yesterday between the hours of eight and ten o'clock in the morning? I'm obliged to ask, you understand."

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:24 am
by aine
."And I'm obliged to answer, I'm sure. I was in town running errands for Professor Moore. I'm not sure why as I have enough of my own errands to do before we sail. He somehow gets under your skin and the next thing you know, you are polishing the shoes so to speak. Still, he is a fine gentleman and it is a pleasure to work with him. Would you mind now if I make the condolences to the deceased family? I don't know how much longer we'll be here."

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:28 pm
by Job
aine wrote:"And I'm obliged to answer, I'm sure. I was in town running errands for Professor Moore. I'm not sure why as I have enough of my own errands to do before we sail. He somehow gets under your skin and the next thing you know, you are polishing the shoes so to speak. Still, he is a fine gentleman and it is a pleasure to work with him. Would you mind now if I make the condolences to the deceased family? I don't know how much longer we'll be here."
Detective Hansen studies Martin's face for a few moments, then responds, "Yeah, sure, thank you for your time, Mr. LeBlanc." As you walk away, you notice that he takes a small notepad out of his jacket pocket, flips it open, and begins writing. A few seconds later, he finishes, slips it back into his coat and then walks over to the two seamen.

You rejoin Starkweather and Moore as they begin to offer condolences to Captain Douglas' brother Philip. "I'm very sorry for your loss, Philip," says the Commander. "Your brother was an excellent leader and an outstanding human being. We'll miss him terribly."

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:23 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote: You rejoin Starkweather and Moore as they begin to offer condolences to Captain Douglas' brother Philip. "I'm very sorry for your loss, Philip," says the Commander. "Your brother was an excellent leader and an outstanding human being. We'll miss him terribly."

Job. (the tortured one)
.'A damn shame my Sir, a damn shame' he rises his hand to shake Philip's 'Dr.Barrow , Biologist and part of the expedition' 'were you close to your brother, sir?'

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:48 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:'A damn shame my Sir, a damn shame' he rises his hand to shake Philip's 'Dr.Barrow , Biologist and part of the expedition' 'were you close to your brother, sir?'
A somber looking middle-aged man shakes your hand firmly, his thick brown mustache possibly an attempt to make up for a receding hairline. "I would say that we were close, yes. My brother and I corresponded regularly and he came to stay with me for several months after his trip with the Miskatonic University. He was a good man."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:31 pm
by aine
.Martin walks over to the group and waits his turn to shake Philip's hand, "M. Martin Le Blanc, expedition photographer, a pleasure to meet you sir; I wish it were on a happier occasion. Please accept my condolences, I wish I had the chance to know Captain Douglas better." He watches the detective out of the corner of his eye.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:40 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:'A damn shame my Sir, a damn shame' he rises his hand to shake Philip's 'Dr.Barrow , Biologist and part of the expedition' 'were you close to your brother, sir?'
A somber looking middle-aged man shakes your hand firmly, his thick brown mustache possibly an attempt to make up for a receding hairline. "I would say that we were close, yes. My brother and I corresponded regularly and he came to stay with me for several months after his trip with the Miskatonic University. He was a good man."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

.'Philip' 'i did not know your brother to well, but i was under the impression he was tormented with something' 'we can' 'if you want talk about it'
Persuade roll,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3804134/]Persuade 75% (1d100=41)[/url]

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:52 am
by Job
aine wrote:Martin walks over to the group and waits his turn to shake Philip's hand, "M. Martin Le Blanc, expedition photographer, a pleasure to meet you sir; I wish it were on a happier occasion. Please accept my condolences, I wish I had the chance to know Captain Douglas better." He watches the detective out of the corner of his eye.
While shaking hands, Philip holds Martin's gaze and nods. After a long pause, he says, "Thank you. My brother didn't care much for newsmen, Mr. Le Blanc, but I won't hold it against you none. He was strong willed and a little rough around the edges and he never lost a ship, even on that last acursed trip to the Antarctic."

Martin sees Detective Hansen slowly walk over to the two seamen on the edge of the gathering. Hansen touches the brim of his hat as a greeting, then starts talking with them.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:25 pm
by aine
."I'm not a newsman as such, more investigative journalism, stories and bizarre tales from exotic places, weird science and travel. I send them to the scientific journals such as the N.G.S." He watches the two seamen to see how they respond to the detective.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:20 pm
by Job
8:30 a.m. (EST) – Friday 8th September, 1933
St. Brigid's Cemetary, Brooklyn NY

Anatomist wrote:'Philip' 'i did not know your brother to well, but i was under the impression he was tormented with something' 'we can' 'if you want talk about it'
Persuade roll,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3804134/]Persuade 75% (1d100=41)[/url]
A look of sadness crosses Philip's face and he pauses to look at each of you in turn, first George, then Martin, Professor Moore, and finally lingering for a time on James Starkweather. "As I mentioned, my brother came to stay with me after his last trip to that damned icehole with the Miskatonic Expedition. He returned from the journey a much-changed man, and not just his two fingers that were amputated. He had spells of time when he was very quiet, sitting for days without talking, staring at nothing, and..."

Philip seems embarrased to continue, but says, "And he drank. He drank a lot during those spells."

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:43 pm
by Job
aine wrote:"I'm not a newsman as such, more investigative journalism, stories and bizarre tales from exotic places, weird science and travel. I send them to the scientific journals such as the N.G.S."
"Yes," responds Philip, "I believe that I've read an article of yours, Mister Le Blanc. You may not write for a newspaper, but you do write and take pictures and memorialize. He didn't tell me much of his trip to the Antarctic but, from what he did say, I doubt that he'd want anyone recording it."

"Come now," Starkweather interjects, "you can't be serious, man! Your brother was a hero. He was courageous and his tale should've been told."

Philip Douglas narrows his eyes and looks long at the Commander, then says in a low voice, "I am very serious. And with all due respect, Commander Starkweather, you know nothing."
aine wrote:He watches the two seamen to see how they respond to the detective.
After talking for a bit, the two seamen each shake their heads then continue their discussion with Hansen. They seem to be comfortable talking to the detective but from their responses, you get the impression that Hansen is not getting much information.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:54 pm
by aine
"Yes," responds Philip, "I believe that I've read an article of yours, Mister Le Blanc. You may not write for a newspaper, but you do write and take pictures and memorialize. He didn't tell me much of his trip to the Antarctic but, from what he did say, I doubt that he'd want anyone recording it."
.Martin wonders what the detective is asking but he turns to Philip, "Even if your brother does not want to record his travels in the Antarctic he has still left you a legacy; if what you know of his travels disturbs you, you must not, how you say, bottle it up. A lot of harm can come of that. I have seen it before." He looks with concern at Philip.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:50 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:8:30 a.m. (EST) – Friday 8th September, 1933
St. Brigid's Cemetary, Brooklyn NY

Anatomist wrote:'Philip' 'i did not know your brother to well, but i was under the impression he was tormented with something' 'we can' 'if you want talk about it'
A look of sadness crosses Philip's face and he pauses to look at each of you in turn, first George, then Martin, Professor Moore, and finally lingering for a time on James Starkweather. "As I mentioned, my brother came to stay with me after his last trip to that damned icehole with the Miskatonic Expedition. He returned from the journey a much-changed man, and not just his two fingers that were amputated. He had spells of time when he was very quiet, sitting for days without talking, staring at nothing, and..."

Philip seems embarrased to continue, but says, "And he drank. He drank a lot during those spells."

Job. (the tortured one)

.George felt he had Phillip on the talk and pushed on. 'Did he had other torments in his life? some bad friends, someone that wanted him ill?'

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:40 pm
by Job
aine wrote:Martin ... turns to Philip, "Even if your brother does not want to record his travels in the Antarctic he has still left you a legacy; if what you know of his travels disturbs you, you must not, how you say, bottle it up. A lot of harm can come of that. I have seen it before." He looks with concern at Philip.
Anatomist wrote:George felt he had Phillip on the talk and pushed on. 'Did he had other torments in his life? some bad friends, someone that wanted him ill?'
You see Philip Douglas' jaw muscles clenching, then he responds, "I don't recall anyone meaning my brother harm.

"During J.B.'s drinking bouts, he would ramble on about some of the things that he experienced, but they weren't easy to understand. Afterwards, he would fall asleep and waken in a sweating panic from some dream. When I asked him what the dreams were about, my brother always insisted that he couldn't recall what he said when he was in his cups. And he would deny all of the events that he mentioned before falling asleep."

Job. (the tortured one)

Re: CHAPTER 2: IC - Death of a Sea Captain [George & Martin]

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:36 pm
by aine
."He must have suffered some terrible experiences. And you can't remember anything about his rambles- even if they didn't make any sense?" Martin looks at Philip with compassion.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:51 pm
by Job
"I recollect in one of his stories, he said three men went snow crazy and attempted violence on other members of the crew. Two were restrained, and recovered after a bit. Th'other ran off an was never found. I don't recall hearin' their names."

Philip looked around at the gathered men, and continued, "My brother did mention one name a number of times. He would shake his head and mutter, 'That poor, poor devil Danforth.' At other times, he'd demand, 'Blast it, Dyer! Police your crew!', and 'Make him stop that damned screaming!'"

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:38 pm
by Job
Professor Moore pauses for a moment, then says, "Danforth... Paul Danforth was one of the pilots on the 1930 expedition. He flew the plane, accompanied by Professor Dyer, to rescue Lake's expedition."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 pm
by Anatomist

.'Tell me Phillip, i think your brother mentioned it once to me' 'something about a german person, or maybe it was a german accent or something the like, that was of some annoyance to him' 'you wouldn't know anything of that?'
ooc,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3889083/]Persuasion 75% (1d100=94)[/url]

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:05 am
by aine
Martin listens to the exchange but keeps an eye on the detective and the men he is talking to.
ooc,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3890234/]1d100=99, (Some great rolls here; I'm sure we'll wrap this investigation up in no time at this rate!)[/url]

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:31 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:'Tell me Phillip, i think your brother mentioned it once to me' 'something about a german person, or maybe it was a german accent or something the like, that was of some annoyance to him' 'you wouldn't know anything of that?'
Philip thinks for a moment, then shakes his head, "No, I'm sorry. I don't remember him saying anything recently about a German person."

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:42 pm
by Job
aine wrote:Martin listens to the exchange but keeps an eye on the detective and the men he is talking to.
ooc,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3890234/]1d100=99, (Some great rolls here; I'm sure we'll wrap this investigation up in no time at this rate!)[/url]
Detective Hansen has moved away from the seamen and is now speaking with a tall man dressed in a suit and dark overcoat.

As you were scanning the crowd looking for the detective, you notice that the small man with the notepad has edged close to your group and is writing furiously.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:01 pm
by aine
.Martin notices the little man creeping up on them. He says in a louder voice. "It's cold standing around here, Philip, can we offer to buy you a drink? Somewhere warmer were we can relax a bit? What do you think?" He looks at everyone in the group to include them in his suggestion. He subtly touches George's arm and nods his head in the direction of the tall gentleman. He raises his eyebrow and mouths 'German?'

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:28 pm
by Anatomist
aine wrote:Martin notices the little man creeping up on them. He says in a louder voice. "It's cold standing around here, Philip, can we offer to buy you a drink? Somewhere warmer were we can relax a bit? What do you think?" He looks at everyone in the group to include them in his suggestion. He subtly touches George's arm and nods his head in the direction of the tall gentleman. He raises his eyebrow and mouths 'German?'

.George nods with his head at Martin 'Yes Phillip please... ' 'lets go for a drink togheter' 'let me invite'

When possible George will walk over to them man obviously ear dropping on them and ask him 'My good Sir...' leaving it hang to for the name and continuing after some seconds 'friend of the Captain?' 'business associate?' 'please sir tell me all about yourself' 'you seemed so lone over here' 'we must be together Sir, in our grief for the good Captain'
Persuation roll,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3908332/]Persuade 70% (1d100=54)[/url]

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:01 am
by Job
The man abruptly looks up from his note-taking and says, "Ah. No sir. I mean, yes sir. Er, no. I'm Hawkes. Gary Hawkes." He slips his one hand into his pocket and with the other, reaches into his jacket.

"It is indeed a sad day. I'm sorry, and you are?"

Job. (the tortured one).

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:47 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:The man abruptly looks up from his note-taking and says, "Ah. No sir. I mean, yes sir. Er, no. I'm Hawkes. Gary Hawkes." He slips his one hand into his pocket and with the other, reaches into his jacket.

"It is indeed a sad day. I'm sorry, and you are?"

Job. (the tortured one).

.'Barrow, George, Sir' 'and what would be your line of wokr Sir?' George smiles to the man.

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:06 pm
by aine
."Just before we go somewhere for a warm up and drink, I'd like to say goodbye to someone. Excuse me for just a moment." Martin bows his head to Philip and walks over to Hansen and the tall gentleman. "Excuse me Detective Hansen, sorry for interrupting you. I'm leaving shortly and wanted to say goodbye." He turns to the tall man, "I'm sorry Sir, I don't think we've been introduced..."

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:13 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:'Barrow, George, Sir' 'and what would be your line of wokr Sir?' George smiles to the man.
He looks down at the ground and says, "I'm a writer. Um, I should probably leave. I don't want to intrude any more than I already have. It was nice to meet you, Mr Barrow."

The man then turns to leave.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:33 pm
by Job
aine wrote:Martin notices the little man creeping up on them. He says in a louder voice. "It's cold standing around here, Philip, can we offer to buy you a drink? Somewhere warmer were we can relax a bit? What do you think?" He looks at everyone in the group to include them in his suggestion.
Anatomist wrote:George nods with his head at Martin 'Yes Phillip please... ' 'lets go for a drink togheter' 'let me invite'
With a look of sadness and with evident fatigue in his voice, Philip says to the gathered men, "After spending time with my brother, I stopped drinking. And I'm sorry, it's early yet but it's been a very trying day."

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:48 pm
by Job
aine wrote:"I'd like to say goodbye to someone. Excuse me for just a moment." Martin bows his head to Philip and walks over to Hansen and the tall gentleman. "Excuse me Detective Hansen, sorry for interrupting you. I'm leaving shortly and wanted to say goodbye." He turns to the tall man, "I'm sorry Sir, I don't think we've been introduced..."
The detective nods at Martin, reaching out to shake his hand, "Mr. LeBlanc."

The well-dressed, tall gentleman is approximately fifty years of age, possessing a receding hairline and a prominent Roman nose. He responds in a cool and detached manner, "I'm Gerald Brackman. Were you a friend of Mr. Douglas'?"

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:35 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:
aine wrote:Martin notices the little man creeping up on them. He says in a louder voice. "It's cold standing around here, Philip, can we offer to buy you a drink? Somewhere warmer were we can relax a bit? What do you think?" He looks at everyone in the group to include them in his suggestion.
Anatomist wrote:George nods with his head at Martin 'Yes Phillip please... ' 'lets go for a drink togheter' 'let me invite'
With a look of sadness and with evident fatigue in his voice, Philip says to the gathered men, "After spending time with my brother, I stopped drinking. And I'm sorry, it's early yet but it's been a very trying day."

Job. (the tortured one)

.'Phillip' if you have anything on your hearth let me know, please' 'I would love to chat with you about your brother' 'he always fascinated my in some odd way'

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:59 pm
by aine
.Martin responds to Gerald Brackman, "I'm afraid I didn't have that pleasure. I wish I had known him better though, he seemed a man after my own heart from what I have heard. If he was a friend of yours then please accept my condolences. Did you know him well Mr. Brackman?"

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:42 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:'Phillip' if you have anything on your hearth let me know, please' 'I would love to chat with you about your brother' 'he always fascinated my in some odd way'
"I appreciate your kind words, Mr. Barrow. Thank you. But I really must be going. If I recollect anything important that might help you, I'll write a letter to you, care of the SS Gabrielle." With that, Philip shakes hands and walks silently away from the gravesite, shoulders slumped, towards the parked vehicles.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:47 pm
by Job
aine wrote:Martin responds to Gerald Brackman, "I'm afraid I didn't have that pleasure. I wish I had known him better though, he seemed a man after my own heart from what I have heard. If he was a friend of yours then please accept my condolences. Did you know him well Mr. Brackman?"
"Not all that well, no. He was a client of mine. A legal matter. I'm a lawyer based in New York City."

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:47 pm
by aine
Martin decides to take the plunge. "Well I need to be off but it's good to see a few of the captain's colleagues here. I'm surprised Acacia Lexington hasn't turned up though."

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:05 am
by aine
Martin sees George ready to leave. "Well gentlemen, a pleasure to meet you both but I must go now. Would it be possible to take a card, Mr Brackman? One never knows when one may need a lawyer." Martin shakes hands with both of them and then walks over towards the car.

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:29 pm
by Job
aine wrote:Martin decides to take the plunge. "Well I need to be off but it's good to see a few of the captain's colleagues here. I'm surprised Acacia Lexington hasn't turned up though."
Questioning looks cross the faces of both men and Detective Hansen asks, "Acacia Lexington? Why do you think that Miss Lexington would come to Captain Douglas' funeral?"

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:30 pm
by aine
ooc,Sorry, I think my knowledge of the story prior to joining the game is a little rusty - I thought she'd had contact with the captain and that Martin knew this.
.Martin blusters as he leaves, "Oh, um I thought she might know him, expedition business and such. Just what I'd read in the papers. Sorry, my mistake." He heads over to the car.

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:52 pm
by Job
aine wrote:
ooc,Sorry, I think my knowledge of the story prior to joining the game is a little rusty - I thought she'd had contact with the captain and that Martin knew this.
Martin blusters as he leaves, "Oh, um I thought she might know him, expedition business and such. Just what I'd read in the papers. Sorry, my mistake." He heads over to the car.
The detective looks for a long while at Martin as the photojournalist walks away. Hansen has a faraway look in his eyes and his mind is obviously elsewhere, as if repositioning some pieces of some puzzle that only he can see.
Martins Knowledge,You are correct, it's true that Martin knew [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=212&t=2830&start=80#p130145]this fact[/url]. See the first bulleted item.
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:06 pm
by aine
Martin walks back over to George and the car. "Well, that fellow with Detective Hansen isn't German either; he's a lawyer, Gerald Brackman. I guess the German didn't turn up here. Philip didn't say much did he?"

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:25 pm
by Anatomist
aine wrote:Martin walks back over to George and the car. "Well, that fellow with Detective Hansen isn't German either; he's a lawyer, Gerald Brackman. I guess the German didn't turn up here. Philip didn't say much did he?"

'No, not really'
George looks out of the window absent minded.

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:04 am
by Job
aine wrote:Martin sees George ready to leave. "Well gentlemen, a pleasure to meet you both but I must go now. Would it be possible to take a card, Mr Brackman? One never knows when one may need a lawyer." Martin shakes hands with both of them and then walks over towards the car.

Job. (IANAL)

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:17 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:
aine wrote:Martin walks back over to George and the car. "Well, that fellow with Detective Hansen isn't German either; he's a lawyer, Gerald Brackman. I guess the German didn't turn up here. Philip didn't say much did he?"

'No, not really'
George looks out of the window absent minded.
From behind them, the men hear Professor Moore, who responds, "You're right. I also didn't speak with anyone whom I thought might be of German descent. However I did find Philip's comments about Danforth very interesting."

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:52 pm
by aine
.Martin twists in his seat to Professor Moore. "How so, Sir?" He takes out the businesscard and shows it around to see if anyone knows of the lawyer.

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:38 pm
by Anatomist
aine wrote:Martin twists in his seat to Professor Moore. "How so, Sir?" He takes out the businesscard and shows it around to see if anyone knows of the lawyer.

George looks at the card 'No idea who that can be'

Job wrote: " However I did find Philip's comments about Danforth very interesting."
.'Indeed' Said George and both sees how George's interest was again there in his eyes. 'Lets visit him, as soon i get of this silly costume'

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:27 pm
by aine
Martin nods. "So back home first to change then?" He lets go the clutch and starts to drive them away. He looks in the rear mirror to see if anyone takes much interest in their departure and then concentrates on the driving.

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:18 pm
by Job
aine wrote:Martin twists in his seat to Professor Moore. "How so, Sir?" He takes out the businesscard and shows it around to see if anyone knows of the lawyer.
Moore responds, "Paul Danforth was one of the few Miskatonic Expedition members to return from Antarctica, along with Professor William Dyer. He and Dyer were the only team members who flew into the Mountains--and survived. I was aware that Danforth had suffered a nervous breakdown from his experiences, but until Philip described his brother's nightmares, I wasn't aware of the extent of Danforth's madness."

"Hmm, no, I'm not familiar with Gerald Brackman."

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:08 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:
Job wrote: " However I did find Philip's comments about Danforth very interesting."
'Indeed' Said George and both sees how George's interest was again there in his eyes. 'Lets visit him, as soon i get of this silly costume'
Professor Moore shrugs and says, "That won't be possible, I'm afraid, since no one knows where Mr. Danforth is. He disappeared shortly after he was released from the hospital."

"Yes, poor chap," remarks Starkweather. "You never quite know how an individual will react to the stress of a bleak environment such as Antarctica. The barren landscape. A solitary existence with only a small group of teammates. It brings out the best of some individuals, and the worst in others."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:18 pm
by Job
aine wrote:Martin nods. ... He lets go the clutch and starts to drive them away. He looks in the rear mirror to see if anyone takes much interest in their departure and then concentrates on the driving.
All of those gathered appear to have now dispersed. All except one. That person remains standing where you last saw him, watching your departing car, and then he drops his gaze to the small headstone.

Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:12 pm
by aine

"That Detective Hansen is, how do you say? A dog with a bone." He knows there is something suspicious, I wish we knew what he knows; it may help." Martin says as they start to pull away.