Anthony DeCarlo - Private Eye - At your service

A book has been stolen and needs to be retrieved. A simple enough task, you think, as you get landed with the job. Or is it?

Moderator: Kallisto73

Kallisto73
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Anthony DeCarlo - Private Eye - At your service

Post by Kallisto73 »

It is Tuesday, 10th of April 1923, you are sitting at your desk. It’s been 2 months exactly since you were released from the Deer Harbor Prison in Boston. You have decided that, this time, you will be on the right side of law. But while deciding to give it all up is easy, actually keeping on the straight and narrow is difficult. You have a little money which you got on your release. You have moved to Arkham and rented a one bedroom flat in the not-so-nice part of town which doubles as an office. Anthony DeCarlo, Private Investigator, the brass plate reads. And this is your new life.
The phone rings. As you answer, you hear a familiar voice “Tony? How have you been?” It’s father Griffin, the Irish prison chaplain. Although you were never that religious, the childhood comfort of Sunday Mass in Latin, receiving the Host and a few kind words from the priest, never judgeing you, were some of the things that kept you going and convinced you to look for a different life. “Listen, have you really set up shop as a private eye? Because if you have, I might have a job for you.”
He proceeds to tell you that one of his friends, Franklin Quincey, a wealthy collector of books on religion and the occult has been robbed. He does not want to involve the police, but he’d really like his book back. If you are interested, you could meet him the next evening in his flat in Arkham to hear the details. “I think he’s gonna pay really well. And you would be doing me a favour as well, he and I go way back.”
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Anthony DeCarlo - Private Eye - At your service

Post by Pickman37 »

Anthony DeCarlo sits in the silence of his office/flat, wondering if this is all worth it. He has had little money since being released and, outside of a job following the wife of a man who suspected her of infidelity, he has had to make ends meet by toiling at menial labor on the Arkham docks, unloading crates of fish and other imports...

Suddenly, the phone rings and Anthony is greeted by a familiar voice...a godsend...

"Father, it's good to hear from you..." Anthony can barely contain his gratitude, sounding desperate as a result of both his loneliness and hard luck in this strange town.

After a short exchange of pleasantries and small talk, Father Griffin gets down to business...
Kallisto73 wrote: “Listen, have you really set up shop as a private eye? Because if you have, I might have a job for you.”

He proceeds to tell you that one of his friends, Franklin Quincey, a wealthy collector of books on religion and the occult has been robbed. He does not want to involve the police, but he’d really like his book back. If you are interested, you could meet him the next evening in his flat in Arkham to hear the details. “I think he’s gonna pay really well. And you would be doing me a favour as well, he and I go way back.”
"Sure...sure Father. I'll take the job. Besides, if its a favour to you, I owe you for what you've done for me while in the can...er...jail. I'll take down the address now..." Anthony scrambles for a pen and pad of paper. He resists the urge to inquire more, figuring he'll learn more tomorrow. Either way, he's relieved for a break...

After recording the address, Anthony thanks Griffin.

"Thanks Father for passing this along. I appreciate it. I'll do my best and it was good to hear from you."

After the call, Anthony breathes a sigh of relief..

Maybe things are turning around for me. Don't know what the deal is about this book but I'll be there to meet this Quincey...

Anthony wonders what he'll do with himself for the rest of the day and debates going for a drink at the speak-easy, all the while speculating what tomorrow will bring....
Kallisto73
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kallisto73 »

After the speak-easy, you decide to some detective work ("I'm a PI, so, I should be prepared for my visit"). He's a book collector, isn't he? Well, maybe he is known to people in the library at Miskatonic U. They have very, very many rare books on religion on the occult.
You get ready to go to the library at the university to find out more about Quincey.

You arrive at Miskatonic U.
Miskatonic U
Miskatonic U
The grey building is very big and a bit forbidding. It is also not your kind of place, but you don't care. You ask the porter and he indicates the way to the library. The library turns out to be huge room, more like 10 rooms, full of books from floor to ceiling. The windows are huge and light floods in. In the distance, you can see the trees lining the Miskatonic River. Next to the entrance door is a smaller door. It reads "Dr Henry Armitage, Chief Librarian". You pause for a moment, wondering if you should knock, when you hear a quiet but quite sharp "Can I help you?". You turn right and see a woman in her mid-twenties, with blonde hair sitting behind a desk. "Can I help you?" she repeats. You walk over to her and explain that you are looking for a man named Franklin Quincey and would like to learn more about him. You understand that he is collector of rare books and you wonder if he has ever been here and if she could tell you something about him . "We do not give information like this to other library users. How would you feel if someone came and asked about you Mr...?" she answers colly. "DeCarlo, Anthony DeCarlo. And your name is...?" She points to a small brass plaque "Frances McLane".
"I understand. It's just that..." you spot a sign saying "Newspaper section"
Spoiler:
idea roll, almost there, but I figure all libraries have a paper section and you would see signs http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3438251/
. You turn back to Ms McLane and say "I would like to use the newspaper section, do you carry the Arkham Advertiser?" "Of course!" "Well, then I would like to see last year's editions."
You spend several hours and you find several articles in which Mr Quincey is mentioned. They are mainly around auctions of rare books, local benefactors of Arkham etc.
You learn that he is a bachelor, very wealthy and a well-respected collector and scholar in the areas of religion and the occult. There are no ill rumours surrounding him, he takes part in the social life of Arkham, supports charities and, although somewhat reclusive, he is by no means friendless or a hermit.

You feel there is nothing else you can do here anymore, so you leave the library. You still have a couple of hours, so you decide to have an early dinner (it is around 5 pm), and you make your way to Mr Quincey's to meet him at 8 pm sharp.

The building is in a very well-to-do neighbourhood. There is a security guard in the lobby. You walk up to the guard and state your business. He looks at you, calls Mr Quincey on an intercom and, after Mr Quincey has confirmed that he is, indeed, expecting you, hands you a key and tells you to take the lift to the fourth floor.

You ride to the fourth floor and knock on the door. Mr Quincey opens almost immediately. He gives you once over, makes sure you have come alone, steps aside and waves you in.
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pickman37 »

Keeper,Sorry I thought I was to meet him tomorrow night...I would not have hit the speak-easy then. Apparently, the liquor shots affected my brain LOL. Anyways, thanks for the nudge! :D
"Anthony DeCarlo, P.I. at your service....Mr. Quincey, nice to meet you. I assume Father Griffin told you about me considering the reception...."

Anthony scans Quincey's flat to spot anything unusual but observes nothing...

" So I'm to understand you're missing a rare book and want it recovered without the Feds involved..." Anthony removes a pencil and small note pad from his pocket to jot down info."Can you fill me in on the details?.....What happened, what the book contained...and any suspicions you may have as to who may be responsible..."

DeCarlo attempts to be professional but it is a suit he has yet to feel comfortable in....

During his initial questioning, DeCarlo attempts to get a read on the seemingly nervous patron but, despite sensing something, comes away with no insights...
Kallisto73
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kallisto73 »

Spoiler:
Actually, I was wrong, I had fastforwarded by one day. So, it is now the evening of the second day of your quest. Wednesday. :D
Your host is in his fourties, bearded, dressed in clothes that were fashionable 10 years ago. He wears thick-lensed glasses. He is intense and serious, but not unpleasant.

Quincey's flat is expensice and spacious. It is largely dominated by bookshelves, they cover every available wall, floor to ceiling. The flat is mostly chilly, only the study is heated by an open fire and well-lit. You can see a small card table with sherry and glasses. There is an oak desk scattered with papers, notes, books etc. There is a huge picture window leading onto the balcony. It is closed at the moment.

The shelves in the study house the pinnacles of his collection, you can see rare books on the occult (such as Beatus Methoddivo, The Zohar, the Golden Bough).
You can also see a large painting above the oak desk. It is quite macabre: It shows a number of dog-faced humanoids standing in a graveyard and howling at a sickly-looking full moon. You look at it more closely and see the signature R Pickman.
"Ah yes, I am very proud of this piece, it is called 'Ghouls Howling', it was an impulse purchase a few years back at an auction I attended to buy rare books. Pickman is very sought after these days. Naturally, as he has vanished..." [he trails off]. He looks at you and says: "But of course, we're here to conduct business, let me tell you the story, then we can talk about a price:
This room contains the cream of my collection -
some of the most valuable and rare occult tomes in
existence. I am not a jealous man, and have always
made my collection available to fellow students of
the occult. One of these students, a young man
named Ethan Blane, called on me a week ago,
wishing to consult a particularly rare book called
the Scripture of Shul. My copy of this book is an
unpublished proof of a 16th century English
translation of a manuscript that is believed to be far
older.
Something about Blane struck me as odd during our
interview – he seemed somehow intense, as if filled
with some kind of religious fervour. I was worried
that he might be a black magic obsessive, or even
worse, a fanatic intending to destroy the book – I
have encountered both extremes before.
I told him that I would rather not give him access to
the book, and asked him to leave, but as I went to
show him the door, my legs buckled beneath me and
I collapsed into a swoon from which I did not
awake for some hours. When I did, Ethan and the
Scripture were, unsurprisingly, gone.
I realised that he had drugged my sherry, perhaps as
I took the book from the shelf to show to him.
Obviously he had always intended to steal it right
from the start. Indeed, according to the guard on
the desk, he just walked straight out of the building
carrying it in a black valise.
I considered calling the police of course, but it struck
me that this sort of man is probably well-versed in
avoiding any official enquiry. What’s more, I want
my property back much more than I want this man
arrested, and I had hoped that you could do this for
me. I know it is difficult, since I am quite sure
‘Ethan Blane’ is a false name and I have no address
for him. Nonetheless, his accent was local, and he
must be a student of the occult to have known about
the Scripture. Also, I have some talent for sketching
and have attempted a likeness of the man that may
help.
It occurs to me that if Blane was after this book he
may have spoken to some of the local rare book
dealers – I will give you a list, which along with the
sketch may help you to locate him.
I just want the book back, but should it be necessary
to use a little force on the young man I believe that
it would not only be just, in the light of his crime,
but also should serve to dissuade him from
attempting to steal other people’s property.
"

With this, he finishes and looks at you.
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pickman37 »

OOC,Lol...No problem...Wednesday it is! We'll get this thing on track yet! :D
Anthony DeCarlo listens to Quincey's story, jotting notes all along. He has had his issues with organized religion throughout his life, and the idea of the occult holds no water with him at all...

Just a bunch of hocus-pocus... DeCarlo thinks to himself. Why do people get all crazy about this stuff? To steal a book on it...really?! And this guy having no problem with the thief being roughed up! Wow, what is this world coming to? Oh well...work is work and maybe if I pull this off, it will help my social standing in this town with Quincey being known and all...

DeCarlo speaks after a moment of silence and thought after Quincey concludes his story...

"Alright, Mr. Quincey. I'll take the case. I have just a few more questions for you and then we can maybe discuss matters of payment for services rendered once I accomplish the task at hand..." DeCarlo nods towards Quincey to make sure he is following before posing his questions...

"I was curious if any of the other 'fellow students' of the occult you have had over have taken an interest in that particular book and if any of them may have been associated with this Blane character in your opinion?"

"As for the book, do you remember where you acquired it? Was it from one of the dealers on the list of local rare book sellers you are providing me with? As well, I would like a physical description of the book, if you could, in case I spot it." DeCarlo continues... "Also, can you think of any reason that this particular book would be of interest to the thief? I mean, he had you drugged and unconscious, so why did he take only this book and none of the other rare ones you have present?" DeCarlo motions with a hand to the large collection present around them. "Any more information about the book you can provide me with would be very helpful Mr. Quincey."

DeCarlo pauses for a second, thinking, then adds one more request...

"Mr. Quincey, I realize you hold considerable weight in this town. I was wondering how much weight you hold at Miskatonic U. and, more importantly, its library and staff? I would like to go there and find out if anyone has been inquiring about books similar to the one you have had stolen or related to its content. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make much head way with the staff there in the past, most notably, a Ms. McLane. Are you able to...ahem...{DeCarlo clears his throat} grease the wheels so I may make inquiries concerning your case?"

Anthony DeCarlo sits back in his chair and waits for Quincey's responses...
Kallisto73
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kallisto73 »

Quincey looks at you, nods and begins to speak:
"No, there have been no other people who have shown an interest in this particular book, but I have had other visitors, mainly students, who would have come to discuss the occult with me. Blane had phoned me and told me he wanted to take a look at the book. He knew I had bought a year ago at an auction, maybe he was there, or someone had told him, I don't know and didn't ask, because when you buy something at a public auction, it is not exactly a secret. And among the literati, who owns which books is quite common knowledge. Blane did put in quite an urgent bid to see the book immediately. That was kind of strange, but then again, the impatience of the hungry scholar’s mind is something I can relate to…” [he chuckles a bit]. “Anyway, the contents of the book are quite unsavoury, very reminiscent of the Cultes des Ghoules: a study of necromantic magic from a number of extinct cultures such as Atlantis, Mu and Hyperborea. The author, Shul, claimed to be an immortal, born in Hyperborea 3000 years before writing the book. I consider this claim quite ridiculous, of course. The rituals are quite unpleasant. You see, while the occult is my chosen field only madmen take thecontents of these books seriously. Blane himself was getting very excited as he was leafing through it. In the end, he told me he wanted to borrow the book to study it in-depth for a couple of days. However, by that time, I had already made up my mind that this man was taking his studies far too seriously and I was not going to lend him the book. Then, I blacked out. Like I said, he must have drugged my sherry.”
He gets up and walks to the balcony doors and looks out. “I believe he must have been looking for other books as well. You could try the library of Miskatonic U. You can ask Dr Armitage for help, we are old friends, and he knows about the book…. And of course some of my contacts. Here is the list of book dealers that I frequent. They are very well known for their, ahm, collection.”

The list of book dealers contains only 3 names:

Charles David and Sons, Boston
Second hand books and papers, Boston
James L. Lorgan, Esq. [No address, just a post box]
“Mr Lorgan will contact you if you send him a note. The other two are normal shops, you can go visit any day during normal opening hours.”
He finishes by saying: “As for the fee, I’m offering you 100 Dollars for returning the book to me.”
Spoiler:
The picture of Ethan Blane
ethan_blane.JPG
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pickman37 »

DeCarlo takes in what Quincey has to say. Even though he was hoping for a few more leads, he feels the old man is on the level and giving him the best of what he knows. He takes the picture of Blane, studiously looking it over, then folds it and places it in his inside breast pocket. He then takes the list of rare book dealers and does the same. DeCarlo gets a physical description of the book from Quincey, jotting down notes all the while then turns to the matter of payment...
Kallisto73 wrote: “As for the fee, I’m offering you 100 Dollars for returning the book to me.”
Spoiler:
Kallisto73,Lol not sure if he's trying to swindle me but the bargain roll would say otherwise. However, I'm new to the P.I. game and not established so I'm unsure what to ask for. So I'm going to try for a bit more considering my financial circumstances. I'm not sure what to roll on (i.e. Bargain or Fast Talk?) but you can let me know. Either way I might still undersell myself here anyways! Oh well :lol:
DeCarlo ponders Quincey's offer for a few moments then speaks...

"That is a generous offer, Mr. Quincey. However, considering the urgency of the matter, the value of the book and, uh... He pauses to mull over the book dealer list..."...the travel to Boston and potentially being there a few days, requiring overnight stays, I would require a fee of $300. $100 dollars would be needed to be paid upfront to cover my retainer fee, as well as travel and research costs, and the remaining $200 would be payed upon return of the book."

He pauses a second to let this sink in but then continues with business before a response to demonstrate to Quincey that he is thorough and on the case...

"If you could ring up Dr. Armitage at Miskatonic U. tonight or, if it is too late, first thing in the morning to expect my presence, that would be great. I will stop in at the library before embarking to Boston to meet these book dealers. Since we are of a late hour tonight, the best I can do is interview the security guard of your building on my way home then prepare for the upcoming trip. If you have any more information, I'm all ears. If not, we can settle our financial agreement and I'll be on my way."

DeCarlo settles in comfortably and awaits Quincey's response...
Kallisto73
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kallisto73 »

Spoiler:
Yep, by all means, do roll for fast talk to get more money :D

"Yes, I will ring Henry now. It is only 9:30 pm. He's a night owl." Quincey walks over to the phone. He dials a number from memory. "Marjorie? Franklin here, could I speak to Henry? - Yes...", "Hello Henry, listen, I have a favour to ask. I have found someone to try and get my book back, but he needs to do some research in the library first."- "No, tomorrow morning actually." - "Oh, you're off tomorrow? Hm." - "Miss McLane?" Quincey turns to you "Dr Armitage is out tomorrow, but he says he will ring a Miss McLane and you can talk to her." - "That would be great, Henry, thank you very much."
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pickman37 »

DeCarlo waits for Quincey to finish the call then speaks....

"Thank you Mr. Quincey for setting that up. As I mentioned, I will stop by the University library before departing to Boston and speak to Ms. McLane. Now for the matter of my fees..." DeCarlo pauses then continues...

"As mentioned, I would be looking for $300 for the job with $100 being paid upfront and the remaining $200 being paid upon completion of the job. This $100 would cover my retainer, as well as providing me with funds to travel to Boston and cover lodgings, meals and the like while there. Also, these funds would be handy if I need to pay any informants and the like. Would you agree to this?"

DeCarlo stated his case but felt like he had not convinced Quincey.
Kallisto73
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kallisto73 »

"Well, I should think that 100 $ should be ample payment for your services. You can give me your petrol receipts for the drive to Boston. Now, if you'll excuse me, I really need to get some work done tonight."

He shows you to the door, and as he opens it, you notice that it has four bolts on the inside. You take your leave and decide to turn in for the night. The next day, a Thursday, will bring quite a lot of work.
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pickman37 »

Anthony DeCarlo leaves Quincey's flat, noting the four bolts on the inside, but is pre-occupied with his lack of garnering more funds...

Thrifty, old curmudgeon! I'm sure this job is worth more...considering he hinted at me roughing up this 'Blane' character. DeCarlo sighs. Oh well. Work is work. I'll just have to make this trip on the cheap. Maybe I can stay with Ma and Pa if this runs more than a few days or someone else I know in the hometown.

He begins mentally compiling a checklist of his coming day, deciding a bus to Boston would be cheaper than travelling by rail. On his way out, he chats with the building security guard but gathers no more information than what was provided by Quincey. Exhausted, DeCarlo returns home and packs in advance, knowing it will be a busy morning. He hits the sack but finds sleep elusive; his brain going over the details of the case but offering no new insights.

Almost over-sleeping, DeCarlo awakens and springs to work. After quickly refreshing himself, he calls the Arkham Bus Line to verify the cost and times of afternoon departures to Boston. Then he rings up Quincey, notifying him that he will be keeping in touch every few days with updates or, in case, Quincey learns more information that he can pass on. DeCarlo then departs on foot from the Lower Southside in order to reach the Arkham First Bank right at opening time in order to withdraw $15 from his meager savings. After, he continues onto the University, arriving a few minutes before 11 a.m.

He makes his way quickly to the library and Ms. McLane's desk, hoping this interview will be a quick one as the sooner he gets to Boston, the sooner he can investigate the rare book dealers...

She wasn't all that friendly the first time...Hopefully, Quincey's call has done some to melt that icy exterior!
Kallisto73
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kallisto73 »

It is Thursday, 11 am, you arrive at the University and make your way straight to the library.
You can see Ms McLane sitting at the desk she was sitting at the last time. She is bending over a pile of books and small cards (filing cards for the catalogue, it seems). You walk over to her, and as soon as you step close enough to the table for your shadow to fall on the books, she looks up. Her face is blank for a second, but then she obviously remembers you. She says "Oh, it's you again. What can I do for you this time?".
"Yes, hello, ahm, I believe that Dr Armitage has told you that someone would stop by in connection with a book stolen from Mr Quincey?" - "And this someone is you?" she replies.
Oh boy, this is going to be one tough sell. "Yes, indeed, DeCarlo is my name." - "I remember your name, Mr DeCarlo, I remember all the names."
"Really? That's amazing, you must see so many people everyday. This is actually what I'm here about. I'm looking for someone named Ethan Blane, this is his picture. Do you remember him?"
Spoiler:
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3465414/ successful know roll for Frances
. She takes the picture from you and looks at it. "I know this man, I have definitely seen him, but he never gave his name."
You are disappointed. What good does it do that she remembers his face? We know what he looks like...
"But I can tell you what he did his research on, nasty stuff. I am an Egyptologist and I have spent a good deal reading their books on the occult, the cult of the dead etc. their beliefs on immortality, transcendency and life after death. And some of their rituals are really not pleasant. But this man was looking into becoming an immortal. He kept asking me about books on eternal life, magic and so on. He was really adamant it was possible, also, he was quite often quite hectic, things always had to be done really quickly. He could not wait for books to be brought over from the vault on our regular runs, the vault is in another building, you know. He always wanted his requests to be dealt with straight away. It is possible to have extra runs, but you have to pay 1 Dollar each time. The vault is only open at certain times, so we always had to get the key and the chief librarian etc. So, he had money. That was strange, because he definitely must live in a dive. He was telling me one day he had to buy new shoes because the rats had nibbled on his and they were now full of holes."
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pickman37 »

Anthony DeCarlo listened to Ms. McLane's information and took out his notepad to jot down a few notes...

Blane was looking to become immortal? DeCarlo ponders. This joe has got to be off his rocker...maybe even a boozehound or on something heavier...Opium perhaps...

DeCarlo returns his attention to Ms. McLane...

"Ms. McLane, both Mr. Quincey and I appreciate your time in this matter. I would like to ask you a few more questions then I'll be out of your hair."

DeCarlo pauses then poses the following questions to Ms. McLane, giving her time to respond between each query:

"Has this Mr. Blane returned to the library in the last week and a half?"

"Has there been anyone else inquiring about the same subject recently?"

"The book that has been stolen...uh..." DeCarlo refers to his notes. "Ah, yes...The Scripture of Shul. Have you ever heard of this book? And if so, what do you know about it? Did Mr. Blane inquire about it?"

Finally, DeCarlo concludes his questioning...

"Thank you, Ms. McLane. Is there anymore information you could provide about this Blane character or any other details you can recall. Even the smallest detail might come in handy..."
Kallisto73
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kallisto73 »

Ms McLane looks at you attentively and nods while you ask your questions.
„Mr Blane was here only 3 days ago. I remember it quite well, you see, he was carrying a book as he came in. Now, people who bring a book into a library, their own book, I mean, need to get a “bring your own” marker. So, I count the books they bring in and give them a coloured card.” She motions toward a row of card board cards in different colours with Arabic numbers on them. You can see that all cards with the number “1” are green. “So, I gave him a green card, and in he went. He soon came back with a request slip for the vault and some money. Of course, he wanted the book straight away as usual. He was also carrying a ream of papers, scribbled full of notes. That was usual as well.”

“Noone else has enquired about this subject, at least not when I was here.”

“Scripture of Shul? I have never heard of this book before, but I take it it is not Egyptian, because the stuff Mr Blane was enquiring about was never Egyptian. You see, Egyptology is my actual realm of interest. Like I said, the stuff he did look at was really weird, less scientific more, how shall I put it, supernatural and occult. I read some of the library cards when getting the books for him. Would you like a list?” She glances at you: “You do read Latin, Greek and Hieratic, don’t you?”
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pickman37 »

Kallisto73 wrote:"I read some of the library cards when getting the books for him. Would you like a list?” She glances at you: “You do read Latin, Greek and Hieratic, don’t you?”
DeCarlo's face flushed and he stuttered a bit in response to Ms. McLane's last response...

"Uhhhh....No, it's not my forte..." He responded. Either she was being pretentious but then again, she was not exactly cool to him being on the case, so he would take it anyways...

"If it's no trouble, I'll take a copy of the list...Got a friend who can help..."

DeCarlo shuffled for a bit but then recalled something else that was said...
Kallisto73 wrote:"Mr Blane was here only 3 days ago.”
"One last question Ms. McLane. Does Mr. Blane appear regularly, like on some kind of schedule?"

DeCarlo's brain swam for a second.
If he does, then this case will be open and shut. Catch him right here in the library!

DeCarlo waited for a response then continued...

"Ms. McLane, if Blane should appear again, could you give either I or Mr. Quincey a ring?"
DeCarlo passes on the numbers. "Uh...my receptionist is on vacation," DeCarlo lied. "But even if you ring Mr.Quincey, he may be able to reach me. I plan to be out of town for the next few days but back here within three days time."

DeCarlo took leave of the library. He hoped to catch the bus to Boston in time to at least visit one of the rare book dealers today then the other two tomorrow, returning to Arkham before three days were up. The trip to Boston from Arkham was roughly an hour and fifteen minutes, barring any trouble....
Kallisto73,Departures from Arkham (with regular arrivals to Boston in parenthesis) are 12:30 (1:45), 4:30 (5:45) and 7:30 (8:45). After Ms. McLane provides me with the list and the answer to my final question, which one can I make, having arrived for this interview at 11 a.m. I will pay a cab or trolley to make it on time if I can!
Kallisto73
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kallisto73 »

The librarian looks at you "No, his visits were actually always very irregular. Sometimes he would come twice a day, sometimes I wouldn't see him for weeks. The last time he was here, he stayed for almost 6 hours. He left in a hurry, just dropped all the books on my desk. His face was flushed, he was mumbling.
As for the list of books, there are three which I remember off the top of my head, the Book of the Dead, of course we only have a copy, the original scrolls are in the British Museum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pined ... t21-08.jpg, but the copy is most exquisite, though we don't have a translation. If you need help with that one, I can assist you. After all, it is my area of expertise." She smiles at you. "I'm fluent in Egyptian, I read hieroglyphs as well as Hieratic. The other was a Latin version of "De Vermiis Mysteriis and finally "Ho biblos melos tou kraniou". There are at least 5 other books that I remember getting for him, but I would have to check the cards, could you come back here when you are back in town?"

You smile back at her (her attitude sure has changed!) and thank her for her offer "Yes, that would be really great!"
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pickman37 »

DeCarlo is relieved that Ms. McLane's demeanor has cooled...

"Yes. Your help would be greatly appreciated in interpretating this Book of the Dead." Anthony smiles. "I'll be sure to stop back here when I return for the rest of the list as well as assistance in deciphering this book. Also, regardless of Blane's schedule, do not hesitate to call us if he should appear. Thank you for your help."

DeCarlo makes the following notations in his notebook:

- Book of the Dead - in Egyptian
- De Vermiis Mysteriis - in Latin
- Ho biblos melos tou kraniou
- + 5 others.....***Return to MU library upon return from Boston

Again, DeCarlo thanks Ms. McLane then hurries to catch one of the two early buses to Boston...hopefully...
Kallisto73
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kallisto73 »

Today is your lucky day . Not only has Ms McLane been helpful, but you are well in time for the earlier bus to Boston. The bus leaves on time and arrives on time, just like planned!
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pickman37 »

DeCarlo feels a hint of nostalgia when he disembarks from the bus and sets foot in his hometown. A lot has changed over the years but there are still enough signs present from the years he spent growing up here to give him a feeling of familiarity.

Anthony mentally goes over his game plan...

First, I'll drop a line to James Morgan to set up an interview, hopefully either today or tomorrow. Then I'll make my way to talk with the dealer at Charles David and Sons. Time permitting today, I'll stop at Second Hand Books and Papers but if not, I can always stop there tomorrow.

Anthony thinks for a minute....

Probably be cheaper to stay with the parents. As well, we can visit for a bit and, better yet, I can get a home-cooked meal....

Anthony begins on his way....

Return to “From Beyond”