Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

1: OSS briefing [Kirsten, Carl, Freyja]

Post by Airbornexo »

Chapter 1 - The OSS Briefing
Massachusetts, USA

It was dark by the time the taxi pulled into the car park of the airstrip, the heat of the summers day could still be felt radiating from the blacktop as the woman moved quickly to the hanger office. Naval air recruits were offloading from a bus and being packed into C-47 transports for their journey to the Pacific. Crickets, oblivious to the bustle, chirped gently and a cool breeze ruffled the woman’s dark hair. The square-jawed guard, barely acknowledging her approach muttered “they're waiting for you inside Miss Hart.

Pushing her way through the door, bright neon light spilled out and she made her way into a hastily constructed briefing room. Already seated were another woman and a stocky man. She quickly took a vacant seat and her attention was drawn to the front of the room as a man came through the door and after brief introductions began to outline the mission:

As Colonel Hargreaves finished he turned back to the room, “A transport and papers have been arrange, you are to fly out tonight. Are there any questions that you might have?

OOC - Feel free to make comments, questions or introductions :)
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Re: 1: OSS briefing [Kirsten, Carl, Freyja]

Post by Chivalrybean »

Carl raises a hand.

"How do you suggest we infiltrate the expedition?"
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

"A good question and one that is easily answered. You all have been been given cover professions that make you highly useful to the expedition, letters of introduction to the civilian chief of staff have already been written and accepted. All you need do is turn up, show your papers and keep your story straight!" Hargreaves winked genuinely.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kirsten Hart raises her hand next. "Colonel, what do we know about the members of the expeditions, both the one that was lost and the one that we'll be joining? In particular, what information do we have about Lothar Wahl, the expedition leader?" She crosses her legs, her navy blue skirt riding up above her nylon-covered knee. "Do we know anything about his tastes in women? Does he prefer blondes-" Kirsten gives Freyja a sly glance, "or brunettes?" She pats her own dark hair.

If I had to guess, thinks KIrsten, I'd say he probably goes for blondes. SS types would probably go for Aryan looks, and few women look more Aryan - or more beautiful - than Freyja. I know how attractive I am, but she blows me out of the water. Still, you never know where any one man's personal tastes will run. I know I'm capable of seduction if I have to do it. I seduce the audience every time I get in front of the camera. But I like my audience, and I don't have to spend the night with them. I can film a love scene with an actor I personally dislike and let none of my true feelings show, but the call of duty here may go beyond that. Still, I knew going in that I may need to sacrifice my body for the sake of a mission. If I weren't willing to go that far, I wouldn't have signed up. That doesn't mean I'd enjoy letting a Nazi have his way with me - though I'd certainly make him think I did. It'd be just as well for me if he likes Freyja better, but I wouldn't want her to have to go through with it in my place. And even if she does, I'm sure there will be some other important member of the expedition to whom I'll need to get close.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

"Wahl is a career soldier and a damn good one at that, his military record was enough to secure him a senior position with the SS. British reports of him in the field in Norway suggest that he is a brilliant battlefield tactician. He also genuinely cares for his soldiers and treats his enemy prisoners with a measure of respect not normally associated with his SS comrades. Do not be fooled into thinking this man is soft though, he has a gut of iron."

Hargreaves paused, looking impish for a moment, "If circumstantial evidence is to be believed, Ms. Hart, then Carl has a better shot at getting into the Colonel's bed than either of you." He winked knowingly before continuing, "They are looking to prove they are the master race, but also the SS believe that they may find a weapon in this lost city of theirs. That's about all we know, the former team was headed by a Major and disappeared without a trace."
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Chivalrybean »

Carl shifts uncomfortably in his chair.

"Let's hope it wont come to that. I'm sure I'm not that good of an actor." He nods to Kirsten.

"Is there any idea what this weapon is, why the first expedition dissappeared, and how likely is it that our fate will be the same?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I hope it won't come to that either," says Kirsten, giving Carl a sympathetic smile. She's quite relieved that she won't need to cozy up to Wahl after all and pleased that Carl seems to recognize her from the movies. I hadn't expected that, she thinks. The Nazis, and especially the SS, are dead set against homosexuality. But Wahl's highly placed and good at what he does, so that likely gives him some protection - maybe a lot of protection if his lover is even more highly placed. I know a few guys who swing that way in Hollywood, and I can often tell because they're not interested in me the way most men are. There's one I remember who was that good an actor. When he kissed me on the screen, he even had me half-believing he was really in love with me, and I knew better. She returns her attention to Colonel Hargreaves. "I'm also wondering about this weapon. What kind of weapon could be found in an ancient city that could alter the course of a modern war?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Freyja lights a cigarette and listens further to the details of the mission at hand. She flips the Zippo she had used and pockets it. "Is there room enough for my crates and cases or do we travel light? I can manage with the field camera and one dress for my number.." A slight menthol tinge spreads in the room. She draws again on the stick, then puts it out. "When we have reached the civilian part of the expedition I´ll make sure the officers let us join their tables." At that she started to go over the briefing material once more.

"Do we have any intelligence as for where Reichsgeschäftsführer Sievers might be at this moment? I have dealt with him while stationed in Sweden. I might use him as a way to gain Wahl´s attantion."
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

After some thought, Kirsten proposes an answer to her own question. "Perhaps it's germ warfare they're after," she says. "If some ancient, long lost plague wiped out that city, the Nazis might be hoping they can obtain samples of it and turn it into a weapon. That's the only possibility I can see."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Freyja begins a little smile. "Miss Hart, they might even look for more mystical weapons... When on my last run in with the Germans, they found a rune The Son of God, and it seems the Germans are quite superstitious. They may well think this race they claim originated from deepest Africa may be the Sons of God. These sons made good riddance of the initial expedition and now more are being sent to slaughter. It´s either that or as you say an epidemic of sorts. Both could be administered by the natives, though. If drugged the Germans might well thing they are battling immortals or even infected with the plague." She crosses her legs and continues, "Might even be the food that is contaminated. What if some food poisoning knocked the whole expedition off the wagon?"
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Chivalrybean »

"I don't think the true Son of God wants anything to do with the evils these Germans are after."
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"However the God the Vikings referred to in the runes is unknown..."
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That is true," says Kirsten, "the Nazis could be searching for a mystical weapon. They do believe in that sort of thing." That hadn't even occurred to me, she thinks. Probably because I don't believe in that sort of thing. If the Nazis are looking for a weapon that won't actually do anything for them, that makes our job easier.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Chivalrybean »

"I certainly believe in the supernatural. Unfortunately, the Nazi's appear to want to use the darker side of such spiritual powers."
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

Hargreaves listened intently to the speculation, "to be honest we have no idea what they are chasing or what this weapon might be. However if they are willing to risk a second expedition after the first was lost - we have to assume that they badly want whatever there might be in the jungle. As Ms. Hart mentioned they are spending time across the globe at the moment trying to track down mythical artefacts and peoples for God knows what purpose!"

The big man begins to collect his papers together into a manilla folder, then addressed Freyja's question about her gear, "you should be able to take the equipment necessary - arrangements have been made for your cover as a photographer and expedition archivist. It might look suspicious if you turned up without extensive equipement anyhow. As for Sievers, we point his location as still somewhere in the Baltic region so that may prove to be a dead end. His name still carries weight though and you may be able to trade on that."

"If there is nothing else, a cargo plane is ready to transfer you to Iceland and then onto Germany."
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Chivalrybean »

"I've got my medical supplies. Are we allowed to take weapons?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It was actually Miss Staahl-Oxenstjärna's idea, Colonel," says Kirsten. "I was just agreeing with her about the possibility. But yes, I'm as ready as I'll ever be." She is already mentally preparing her own shopping list, thinking about what she'll need for jungle survival as well as what will be important to have in Berlin. She awaits the answer to the question about weapons with interest, hoping that the answer is yes. She doesn't need much in the way of weapons. A small .32 automatic similar to the kind she trained with would be suitable, along with a machete, though the latter will be mainly for hacking through dense foliage. She'd have to be pretty desperate to try to use one in a fight. This is really it, she thinks. I'm actually going on a dangerous mission into the heart of darkness. This isn't a movie, it's the real thing. If it goes wrong, I risk death - or worse. But the Nazis need to be stopped, and I'm prepared to do my part, no matter what the peril or the cost to myself. The world - the future - depends on us.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

"See the Quartermaster on your way to the plane if you require any small arms or ammunition, personal sidearms will probably be okay and explainable. Anything larger than that is a no-no, remember you are not expected to fight - simply observe and if necessary disruption the SS operation."

"One thing you should know is as well as Wahl and his goons there are also a number of civilian scientists and researchers accompanying the expedition, their affiliation is not at this stage known. It may be useful to seek out allies amongst the civilians as they may be able to side with you if the worst comes to the worst!"

"Sergeant!" He called out and the square-jawed man came into the room, "would you point out the Quartermaster's store please." The big man nodded, "Yes sir."

OOC - Obviously the civilians are the other players who will be not directly be working with the Nazis. You have a short time to gather any equipment (within reason that can be explained as part of your cover) before you begin your journey. The next thread will be up later this evening.
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Chivalrybean »

I'd like a sidearm, knife, and general medical gear, plus anything specific for the African jungles, anti-venoms, etc. Whatever my character (who has been there) would know to take.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kirsten already has a good idea of what she wants to pack. She knows that it will be hot in Berlin at this time of year, and that while the Belgian Congo is in the Southern Hemisphere where it is technically winter, it is still a tropical jungle that will be hot and humid. She plans her wardrobe accordingly. She brings some elegant clothing that she intends to wear in Berlin, with her showpiece being a little black dress with a plunging back that should make quite an impression. She also packs several pairs of nylon stockings, as she knows they will be unavailable in Germany with the war on. A pair of them would also make a nice gift for someone if needed. Even a man would gladly accept them, as he could give them to his wife or girlfriend if he has one - and if he doesn't, he would have little difficulty finding a new girlfriend with nylons to offer her. The rest of her outfits are lightweight, dominated by sleeveless blouses, tank tops, short skirts, and shorts. Not only would they help her stay cool, it also probably wouldn't hurt to show some skin. For footwear, she brings some nice shoes for Berlin and a pair of black calf-length leather boots for the jungle that are at once stylish, comfortable, and practical. She also makes sure to take a bathing suit, as there may be places where it could be useful.

Kirsten also requests a good deal of survival equipment. She gets a .32 automatic pistol and plenty of ammo from the Quartermaster, along with a machete, a backpack for carrying other gear, a length of rope with a grappling hook, a compass, a basic first aid kit, a large canteen, mosquito netting, a pith helmet, a lighter, and a flashlight. In addition, she brings some reading material with background on the Congo and on general jungle survival. While she already knows a little of what to expect from her work starring in the Tarzan-inspired serial Jill of the Jungle, she is well aware that reality is quite different than the movies. Even the real jungles in Mexico where they filmed the location footage wouldn't be much like the Congo.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Fortune and Glory - Archive”