3: Trouble in Tripoli [all characters]

A 1940s pulp game for Call of Cthulhu....Infiltrate the Ahnenerbe and join the enemy in Berlin. Accompany the expedition to darkest Afrika to uncover a secret best left alone. Nazis! Archaeology! Exploration and Madness!

Moderator: Airbornexo

Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

3: Trouble in Tripoli [all characters]

Post by Airbornexo »

The Mermaid of the Mediterranean - Tripoli
5:42pm

The port wing of the Junkers JU 290 transport dipped catching the evening sun with a glint as it turned in a low, wide circle across the ancient and sprawling metropolis of Tripoli. The Italian-held city was the first stop on the expedition's journey onto the Dark Continent. The sun was low in the sky and the turquoise of the sea provided a stunning backdrop to the white-washed city.

Set on one of North Africa’s best natural harbours, Tripoli exuded a distinctive Mediterranean charm infused with a decidedly Arabic-Islamic flavour. Its rich mosaic of historical influences – from Roman ruins and artefacts to the Ottoman-era medina – is enough to whet the appetites of those in the group with an academic interest in History. Conversations sparked into life, almost immediately the city was spotted, amongst the professors and scientists.

Another fifteen minutes ticked by before the engine note changed and the great plane began its gentle descent. As the tires gently kissed the dirt runway, testament to the skill of the pilot, an expectant hush fell over those in the body of the steel beast. Professor Albrecht Eichelberger stood and addressed the expedition:

"Now my friends, we have truly begun our adventure," this earned a slightly scathing look from SS-Standartenführer Lothar Wahl, "tomorrow we are to head by train into the heart of the continent. Once we are settled into our hotel ladies and gentleman, the evening is your own to dine, explore or rest. Tonight we celebrate for tomorrow we explore and discover in the name of the Reich!"

Wahl assigned Feldwebel Gunnar Koertig and his troopers with handling the the conveyance of the teams equipment and gear to the station. Taxis arrived to move the expedition members, Wahl making it clear to anyone in the party that is not at the station by 7:30am will not be waited on...

The Taxis, having woven their way through the bustling streets, pulled up to the Al Waddan Hotel and disgorged their passengers into the cool foyer where amiable reception staff greeted the team; accompanied by the sound of tinkling water and the smell of rose petals...
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Re: 3: Trouble in Tripoli [all characters]

Post by Chivalrybean »

ooc,yay! Posting so I can subscribe to updates.
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

The team spread themselves into the foyer, occupied by a handful of patrons, and waited as Eichelberger organised their rooms.
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Chivalrybean »

Carl sits near the fountain and examines the objects inside the table with the glass top.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

Once in the hotell room Alvaro changes his clothes to a afternoon casual suit in dark green, he adjust his shoulder holster and the .32 Revolver conceling it as best he can. Ready for some mingling with the nazis? he looks at himself in the mirror and a dark frown spreads over his face remembering his true mission and why he is doing this, risking his life on this mission... Si señor!

Alvaro walks down to the foyer checking out any woman in the place. maybe i get lucky Alvaro smiles as he sees Carl and walks towards him to chat a bit. Nice hotel isint it, who would think something like this could exit in Africa
~Bony End of Story~
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

Professor Paul Eckhart watches the younger men; the Spaniard--one of Franco's men, no doubt--is eyeing up attractive females: Prof. Eckhart feels old. He walks over to the bar. Cognac, please, a large one.
Last edited by Tabs on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Percy will visit the Medina and the arch of Marc Aurelius. When he finished, he will amke a quick visit to the nearest brothel...
But first he will ask for rum in the bar.
Last edited by kabukiman on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

An officious looking barman handed Prof. Eckhart a generous measure of smoky alcohol with a nod and a smile, "You are new in town, no?" He began to arrange the bottles behind the bar, occasionally sweeping unseen dust with a delicate flick of his cloth. In testimony to his training he carefully tilted his head in the Professor's direction to allow for, but not force, polite conversation.

Carl noticed that the display table contained a variety of interesting rocks and minerals, a geologist would not doubt be impressed but it was not the kind of thing he had any appreciation for...bunch of sparkly rocks, great! The lounge was reasonably full and there were a number of discussions taking place between members of the expedition.

There are a number of other patrons and Alvaro is drawn to a leggy, dark haired girl nursing a gin and tonic at the end of the bar...
Percy,OOC Do you want to disappear off so soon? Its fine if you do, though you may miss some hijinx!
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Chivalrybean »

Carl wakes a sweeping gesture at the whole hotel. "The world is a different place once you move outside what you are familiar with."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,What did I find out from my Listen and Psychology rolls in part 2?

"I know," says Kirsten, looking around in awe. "I've never seen anything like it. This is the furthest I've ever been from home. I've been in movies that took place all over the world, but it's so much different to travel to exotic locales for real."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Chivalrybean »

"One should expect both the familiar and the unfamiliar when traveling abroad. Where ever you go, people are people, even if the food and the customs change."
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Airbornexo wrote: There are a number of other patrons and Alvaro is drawn to a leggy, dark haired girl nursing a gin and tonic at the end of the bar...
Alvaro sweeps the room updating himself who is there and where they are while he walks to the dark beauty God afternoon Miss, you mind company?
~Bony End of Story~
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Airbornexo wrote:"You are new in town, no?" . . . In testimony to his training [the barman] carefully tilted his head in the Professor's direction to allow for, but not force, polite conversation.

"Yes, I just flew in from Berlin. Do you get many Germans stopping at this hotel?"
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

Handy OOC,Okay forgive me I missed those rolls but I found the handwritten note in the margin of the adventure about what I was going to tell you! Psychology: Wahl appears a stoic and driven career soldier, he speaks his mind often and cares little for upsetting others especially the academics. He exudes confidence when in charge of his own men, he is a natural leader. He does not appear to display the typical stroke of cruelty that many others of rank in the SS have, yet there is certainly a frosty edge to the man and he is not to be taken lightly. Listen: It is difficult to hear exactly what is said but mainly the conversation concerns the logistics of the expedition. Eichelberger and Wahl clearly are motivated by polar different goals on this expedition; Eichelberger is like a excitable child at times getting carried away by the adventure, whilst Wahl is motivated solely by finding his missing team.
[/color]

The woman casually regarded the Spaniard, then spoke with a clipped North American accent; "If you are one of those hoary academics, then forget it buster." She cocked her head appraising him, then with her foot moved a chair out from the bar and angled her nearly finished drink...another?

At the other end of the bar, the barman chuckled at the Professor's remark, "It seems like we have our whole quota of Germans for the year in at the same time tonight! We get the odd military type, showing the Italians how to march up and down, that sort of thing. I have heard you are keen on 'travelling in foreign countries' France, Poland, no?" He gives a knowing wink, cheeky but not insulting, "What brings you all to our fair city?" The barman is of Libyan descent but his English is impeccable.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That's okay. Thanks!

Kirsten nods, then glances over to the woman at the bar. "Sounds like she's a fellow American," she says, "or possibly Canadian. I doubt she'll want to talk to a 'hoary academic' like me. I wonder if our Spanish friend can charm her."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Airbornexo wrote: The woman casually regarded the Spaniard, then spoke with a clipped North American accent; "If you are one of those hoary academics, then forget it buster." She cocked her head appraising him, then with her foot moved a chair out from the bar and angled her nearly finished drink...another?
'Well i dont mind the academics, but im certain not one of them' 'Im Alvaro Uribe Miss...' 'Spaniard , explorer, bodyguard and most important... dancer' 'And you Miss tell me please who are you?' Alvaro smiles his best smile making a sign to the bartender to fill up the ladies glass.
~Bony End of Story~
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Airbornexo wrote:". . . We get the odd military type, showing the Italians how to march up and down . . . "

"We Germans sure can march: it's in our blood."
Airbornexo wrote:". . . I have heard you are keen on 'travelling in foreign countries' France, Poland, no? . . ."

"I favour Russia."
. . . "What brings you all to our fair city?" . . .
"An expedition--south. I'm Professor Eckhart, expedition botanist. Oh, for the record, I don't 'march,' and as for 'travelling,' I haven't done that since '14." Prof. Eckhart smiles, to show the bartender he is being lighthearted with his comments.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Percy,Then Percy will stay with the others for some time more. I'l just edit what I wrote before
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

The woman smiled at Alvaro, "since you have been kind enough to offer me a drink, let me repay the debt."

She gave him a strange look and then frowned slightly, as if musing something over in her mind; "my name is Ellie Knox, touring here in the city with my brother. We hail from Kansas, if you were wondering about the accent...thou the folk around here wouldn't know Baja from the Bronx!"

Chiv & Handy OOC,Listen roll for Alvaro's conversation please +10 bonus due to your proximity.
[/color]
The bartender nodded his approval at the professor and poured him another generous measure.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Though it's hard to make out the voices, Kirsten is barely able to do so, thanks to her position not far away from them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Pit of Lokheri”