3: Trouble in Tripoli [all characters]

A 1940s pulp game for Call of Cthulhu....Infiltrate the Ahnenerbe and join the enemy in Berlin. Accompany the expedition to darkest Afrika to uncover a secret best left alone. Nazis! Archaeology! Exploration and Madness!

Moderator: Airbornexo

Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Re: 3: Trouble in Tripoli [all characters]

Post by Chivalrybean »

Car goes up to his room, gets his pistol, some ammo in his pocket (clips?), and fixes his hair. On his way back out the door, he grabs a satchel that contains a first aid kit and general combat medicine gear (morphine, needle and stitches, etc.)
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

- I have been drinking, I doubt the locals have anything good besides infected water. About Thule, it's an ancient legend. It was the name the Greeks give to the far north land, where the barbarians lived; that could be anything from England to Scandinavia. The Germans think it was the original civilization of the aryans before they emigrated to different parts of the world. There isn't any real proof, but of course, the war of Troy was just a myth before Schliemann actually discovered the place, so if we can actually find a place that can be linked with Thule, it would change History. And it seems they hope to find something that can actually change the History now, and not just our vision of the past.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Anatomist »

Airbornexo wrote: "Yes, yes maybe you are right. Alby does infuriate me so," He dabbed at his forehead before returning his handkerchief to its pocket. He proffered his hand, "Tobias Bäcker, your servant, and also expedition archaeologist."
'Alvaro Uribe at your Service Sir' 'tell me Sir, what happend?'
~Bony End of Story~
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

kabukiman wrote: . . . About Thule, it's an ancient legend. It was the name the Greeks give to the far north land, where the barbarians lived; that could be anything from England to Scandinavia. The Germans think it was the original civilization of the aryans before they emigrated to different parts of the world. There isn't any real proof, but of course, the war of Troy was just a myth before Schliemann actually discovered the place, so if we can actually find a place that can be linked with Thule, it would change History. And it seems they hope to find something that can actually change the History now, and not just our vision of the past.

"Thank you for that explanation of Thule, Mr. Percy. If the Americans join in the war against us"--he lowers his voice so that Kirsten cannot overhear--"we'll need to find Thule and the Sceptre of Atlantis."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-I doubt our president will actually declare war to germany. The people still remembers the horrors of the last war. But of course, since we have a close relationship with the british, we couldn't just watch them in dire situation. But let's return to main subject: don't you think if it was such a powerful weapon, the ancient thule civilization would still exist?
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Airbornexo »

At the bar...

Alby gives an appreciative nod at Percy's interjection about the Thule, "Quite right young man, however if Himmler is to be believed the Thule are still living and breathing today, running our 'glorious' Third Reich!" He smirked at his own suggestion, to suggest he didn't think the idea was very likely.

He then responded to Jurgen's question, "The site; well that is something of a mystery even to me. The texts hint at locations but our guide promises he knows the way, I believe that I overheard Wahl saying that we were meeting him tomorrow before we depart...Alphonse De Smet, a Belgian explorer would you believe!" The named seemed familiar to the party, wasn't he the man that was mentioned in the briefing: He guided the first Congo expedition?!

On the Terrace...

Tobias
pulled up a seat near Alvaro, "He just won't see that there are greater things at stake on our expedition than similar scientific discovery. If we can find the Sceptre of Atlantis, Germany will rule every continent on Earth! Alby has done the reading, but he is blinkered to the truth. Somewhere in the Congo is a great treasure, if I can find the path...I'm sure I could find it!" He mopped his sweating brow once again...

In the Lobby...

Ellie joined Carl and Kirsten at the reception desk and arranged a ride into town. A horse and...well carriage was too grand a term for the 'cart' that was drawn round from the rear of the hotel to take them. Ellie clapped her hands onto her knees and laughed loudly, "They sure know how to treat guests in Tripoli!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, it beats walking," says Kirsten with a chuckle. She climbs aboard the cart.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

kabukiman wrote:-I doubt our president will actually declare war to germany. The people still remembers the horrors of the last war. But of course, since we have a close relationship with the british, we couldn't just watch them in dire situation. . . .

"You are an American, of course. My speculations on the 'Sceptre's' usefulness in Germany's war was inappropriate." The professor does not sound as if he is particularly embarrassed.
. . . But let's return to main subject: don't you think if it was such a powerful weapon, the ancient thule civilization would still exist?
"No, I don't, I doubt it has ever existed. It sounds to me like you should talk to Tobias Bäcker, Mr. Percy, the two of you share opinions on Thule.
Airbornexo wrote:At the bar...

Alby gives an appreciative nod at Percy's interjection about the Thule, "Quite right young man, however if Himmler is to be believed the Thule are still living and breathing today, running our 'glorious' Third Reich!" He smirked at his own suggestion, to suggest he didn't think the idea was very likely. . . .
Prof. Eckhart nods his agreement.
. . . [Alby] He then responded to Jurgen's question, "The site; well that is something of a mystery even to me. The texts hint at locations but our guide promises he knows the way, I believe that I overheard Wahl saying that we were meeting him tomorrow before we depart...Alphonse De Smet, a Belgian explorer would you believe!" The named seemed familiar to the party, wasn't he the man that was mentioned in the briefing: He guided the first Congo expedition?!
"'Alphonse De Smet'--I expect he and all Belgians are popular with the locals."

"My cynicsm is an ugly thing; show me the Sceptre of Atlantis and--maybe--I will believe!

"Can I buy you gentlemen another drink?"
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Airbornexo wrote:At the bar...

On the Terrace...

Tobias
pulled up a seat near Alvaro, "He just won't see that there are greater things at stake on our expedition than similar scientific discovery. If we can find the Sceptre of Atlantis, Germany will rule every continent on Earth! Alby has done the reading, but he is blinkered to the truth. Somewhere in the Congo is a great treasure, if I can find the path...I'm sure I could find it!" He mopped his sweating brow once again...

'So you believe that this expedition can find some weapon that will make the Alliance between Germany and Italy invincible?' I must keep an eye on him, if this expedition find something like that, we are all doomed, Madre Santa en el cielo! 'Sir, if its so, i want to pledge you my eternal friendship and protecction' 'im no educated soul, but i know of the dangers of this expedition' 'and will gladly hear about your advancements in your search' 'maybe i can be an asset for you Sir...' 'Seems like your colleague dont agree much with you on some topic' 'what would taht be Sir?'
~Bony End of Story~
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

- I don't share anyone opinion. As I said before some times myth is simply a reality exagerated. We may find an ancient city and a sceptre. There are thousands of them in the museums over all the world and nothing changed. Or we can simply found some ruins. Or nothing at all, because it was simply a myth without any true base or the true localization was elsewhere. It is a jungle after all, not Europe.

"You are an American, of course. My speculations on the 'Sceptre's' usefulness in Germany's war was inappropriate." The professor does not sound as if he is particularly embarrassed.

Percy doesn't seem to be bothered.
-What kind of fellow is that Tobias? And yes, another drink is welcomed!
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Job »

Airbornexo wrote:Alby gives an appreciative nod at Percy's interjection about the Thule, "Quite right young man, however if Himmler is to be believed the Thule are still living and breathing today, running our 'glorious' Third Reich!" He smirked at his own suggestion, to suggest he didn't think the idea was very likely.
Jurgen began to think that something was not right about their expedition, "That is the second time that Alby has spoken of myths surrounding this mission. A legendary weapon... The existence of the Thule and that they may be still alive and part of the German army command... Are we chasing ghosts? We must not be getting the full story; this is a lot of trouble to go to simply to investigate a myth."
Airbornexo wrote:He then responded to Jurgen's question, "The site; well that is something of a mystery even to me. The texts hint at locations but our guide promises he knows the way, I believe that I overheard Wahl saying that we were meeting him tomorrow before we depart...Alphonse De Smet, a Belgian explorer would you believe!" The named seemed familiar to the party, wasn't he the man that was mentioned in the briefing: He guided the first Congo expedition?!
Jurgen looked confused and said, "I am sorry. Did you say Alphonse De Smet? Was he not lost with the first expedition?"
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

The wagon headed into the streets, bouncing over potholes...continues in a new thread (watch this space)...

In the Bar...

Alby looked puzzled and Jurgen's comment, "no, no Alphonse left the last expedition at their second camp and headed back to civilization, well I think that was the case. He volunteered for this expedition as he feels responsible for their loss. I don't know the ins and outs of it but I believe there were other guides with that party. Wahl must trust him though and he knows the territory well." He shrugged as if not giving the matter much thought.

He turned to Percy, "Tobias...would you believe that we are actually quite good friends as long as we leave our professional opinions at the door. We have been arguing about one thing or another for years." He smiled, his temper all but dissipated by present conversations. Hearing mention of drinks he immediately pipes up, "Let me buy these, I insist" He promptly ordered a round for all those within earshot.

On the Terrace...

Tobias shook Alvaro warmly by the hand, "Well glad to have at least one person on my side. He's not a terrible person, Alby, but he is so short sighted it is a wonder he ever manages to find his way out of his museum library!" He paused, cocking his head, thinking, "I think I have a book you should read if you are really serious about helping me. I'm going for that stroll to clear my head, but come up to my room later and I'll let you have it for some bedtime reading. The room's 29 and I should be there after 10 o'clock." With that he turned and headed out into the garden...

[OOC - unless there was anything you urgently needed to speak to him about]
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Airbornexo wrote:[Alby] He turned to Percy, "Tobias...would you believe that we are actually quite good friends as long as we leave our professional opinions at the door. We have been arguing about one thing or another for years." He smiled, his temper all but dissipated by present conversations. Hearing mention of drinks he immediately pipes up, "Let me buy these, I insist" He promptly ordered a round for all those within earshot.

"'Good friends'? Yes, I suppose that it is only good friends who argue and can remain friends."

"Another drink would be excellent!"
Last edited by Tabs on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-Excelent idea! And let's make a toast to this beggining and to our success!
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Airbornexo wrote:
On the Terrace...

Tobias shook Alvaro warmly by the hand, "Well glad to have at least one person on my side. He's not a terrible person, Alby, but he is so short sighted it is a wonder he ever manages to find his way out of his museum library!" He paused, cocking his head, thinking, "I think I have a book you should read if you are really serious about helping me. I'm going for that stroll to clear my head, but come up to my room later and I'll let you have it for some bedtime reading. The room's 29 and I should be there after 10 o'clock." With that he turned and headed out into the garden...
'Well my dear new friend' 'ill be there and enlighten myself' Alvaro turns back to the ballroom.
~Bony End of Story~
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

Alby got to his feet lifting his glass high. He spotted Alvaro heading in, towards the bar and signals for the barman to pour him a drink as well: "come friends we are starting tomorrow on the expedition of a lifetime! As our friend here so kindly puts it, raise your glasses to our venture." Around the room various members of the expedition raise their glasses and murmur a toast.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The professor raises his glass as well and does a cursory nod to Jurgen and Percy. He smiles happily, partly because of the alcohol he has consumed, but mostly it is the expectation of the jungle and the tropical plants he will see.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Airbornexo wrote:Alby got to his feet lifting his glass high. He spotted Alvaro heading in, towards the bar and signals for the barman to pour him a drink as well: "come friends we are starting tomorrow on the expedition of a lifetime! As our friend here so kindly puts it, raise your glasses to our venture." Around the room various members of the expedition raise their glasses and murmur a toast.
Alvaro rises his beer and joins the table.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Job »

Jurgen raises his beer, smiling broadly as he joins the toast with he colleagues , "Prost!"
Spoiler:
Jurgen attempted to spot any deceit in Alby's mannerisms, but he could not tell anything... *sigh*
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

The drink flowed, followed by another and then another. The bonding went well and new friendships were tentatively brokered between those present. Noticeably, those of the military element of the expedition were not drinking heavily, if at all. Wahl kept a tight ship and even in the relative safety of the hotel, his men were alert and guarded.

As the hands of the big lobby clock ticked to 11:00pm and the chimes delicately rang, a nervous porter ran into the bar and spoke feverishly to a quartet of soldiers.

OOC - Meta-moment - Each of the investigators are able to ascertain that each of their 'human player' counterparts are not fully supportive of either the Reich government or the Aryan ideals of the Nazi elite. They all have their own motivations. Alby is genial enough though a bit of a bore. Listen rolls to overheard the hushed conversation.

Return to “The Pit of Lokheri”