'Off the Record' - OOC Discussion

A 1940s pulp game for Call of Cthulhu....Infiltrate the Ahnenerbe and join the enemy in Berlin. Accompany the expedition to darkest Afrika to uncover a secret best left alone. Nazis! Archaeology! Exploration and Madness!

Moderator: Airbornexo

Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Re: 'Off the Record' - OOC Discussion

Post by Chivalrybean »

kabukiman wrote:Native? In an expedition with nazis? You have courage...
Sounds like a PoC kind of character, and we all know how they end up {:0p
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by BenTheRat »

hahaha, well if I die its probably a better fate than yours. ;)
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Decided to go a different direction. Sorry, no medic here. ;) I'll post later when I get a chance to flush him out fully.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Airbornexo »

DANGER! Wandering accents spotted!

Ben your character will be in the Civilian briefing here - http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtop ... 189&t=2641

Cheers, Hal
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sweet. we're underway! 8-) Are we only allowed to read our own thread, or may we read the other players' thread too?

I actually did play a native on a Nazi expedition in a LARP at Dexcon just a few weeks ago. It was called The Lotus Eaters and is the third part of a five part arc called The Angry Sun. The Lotus Eaters was set in an alternate history (because the events of the first two LARPs changed it severely) in 1939, and the Nazis were conducting an expedition to Tibet. I played a local Sherpa who guided them to the monastery where it was set. I actually outlived them, as a lot of them got slaughtered, and the ones who escaped forgot to bring me with them. Their chances of finding their own way down from the mountains wouldn't have been good.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Well character, Armond Hargrow has been submitted. Wow can Invis castle be a cruel master. I hope I can be of a little help during the adventure.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Chivalrybean »

I used real dice to make my character. They weren't very nice either {:0p
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I looked up Armond's stats on Invisible Castle, and it's not as bad as it could have been. Your total stat points are only a little below average, it's just that your low stats (EDU and POW) are the ones you could really use. EDU can be improved a little through aging your character, but there's not much you can do for POW besides swapping it with another stat. You do qualify for a damage bonus, which is nice, and you have a decent amount of HP. You won't have a whole lot of skill points, but you can still specialize in a few skills.

My own luck with Invisible Castle tends to run either hot or cold. I rarely get close to an average overall total (which would be 92 points). Usually, I do either really poorly or really well. Once my total stat points were only 75, including two 4s and an 8. I was permitted to take a mulligan for that, but my final character stats weren't all that hot. I still had fun and was able to contribute a good deal, though. Low stat characters can be enjoyable in their own way, though I also enjoy playing characters with good stats. I really lucked out with Kirsten, and I was able to do everything I envisioned and more with her stats. Almost all of them I took as rolled, only swapping two stats which were only two points off from each other. If I had chosen where to place each one I wouldn't have thought to place the 16 in CON, but I like how it came up and went with it. She's quite a tough cookie!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Actually after I came up with the character with Hal and then rolled, I realized, that the stats actually fit the character a lot. I stuck with what I got, and the plan is to just have a good time and contribute where I can.

After picking my skills and such, I found out Armond was sort of a poor mans version of your character Handy. ;)
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Cool! I look forward to meeting him. :) I came up with my character idea first (actually months ago), and the stats suited her even better than I had expected. The high CON also enabled me to add an entirely different dimension to her, inspiring me to make her a star of action/adventure movies and serials who does most of her own stunts - only now she gets to do this sort of thing for real!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Chivalrybean »

Mr. Handy wrote:The high CON also enabled me to add an entirely different dimension to her, inspiring me to make her a star of action/adventure movies and serials who does most of her own stunts - only now she gets to do this sort of thing for real!
The second half of that sentence isn't where I thought you were going. Or maybe hoped, not sure {:0p
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

We get EDU x 20 occupational skill points, not EDU x 15, so Paul Eckhart should have a total of 380 of them for an EDU of 19. Botany used to be a skill in earlier editions, but it got folded into Biology along with Zoology (which also no longer exists). The stats are displayed a little funny, but it looks like he is supposed to have INT 10 and POW 14.
Okay, thanks. New skill and skill points submitted to Airbornexo.
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

You may read other threads for now, so long remember to keep your character knowledge seperate :) I will be using spoilers for secret info, if you can resist the temptation to read them it would be appreciated.

Cheers, Hal
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Anatomist »

shit, did we start? Reading up as fast im done typing here :)
~Bony End of Story~
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

Just gently! I'm away at my parents house in Leicester over the weekend so was concious I may not be able to post much.

Cheers, Hal
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Totally out there, but I had the History channel on while working at home and Ancient Aliens was on. They did an episode about the Nazi's and their search for ancient artifacts, and mentioned them looking for the source of the Arayan race including parts of deepest Africa.

Just thought it was cool considering this game.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Chivalrybean wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:The high CON also enabled me to add an entirely different dimension to her, inspiring me to make her a star of action/adventure movies and serials who does most of her own stunts - only now she gets to do this sort of thing for real!
The second half of that sentence isn't where I thought you were going. Or maybe hoped, not sure {:0p
No doubt Kirsten would be very good at what you're thinking, but Carl wouldn't be able to keep up with her with his CON of 5. :P

Her high CON also means she could pull a Marion Ravenwood and drink most people under the table.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Chivalrybean »

Haha ... yeah ... a good out for Carl. I'm sure he'd be relieved.
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

I watched the SS expedition to Tibet program on the history channel last month :) unless anything major crops up I will be starting chapter 2 in the next day or so, I'll draw the briefings to a close today and allow any time for gathering equipment / last minute research then have one big thread for all characters!

It might take a little fudging but I am keen to not let this adventure stagnate, as my Malleus Calixis campaign occasionally did, into days of inactivity. Let me know if I'm rushing anyone :)

cheers, Hal
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Just want to take the opportunity to say hi to the players at the other side of the thread fence. Been keeping away from the non-OSS thread.
I´ll have access to the e-web till Monday, then it´s "gone fishing" for the rest of the summer break (Friday).

Good luck and happy Nazi-hunting!

Akhnaton´s philosphy and life in Egypt - a long, long time ago. "Son of God"

/Dave
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)

Return to “The Pit of Lokheri”