'Off the Record' - OOC Discussion

A 1940s pulp game for Call of Cthulhu....Infiltrate the Ahnenerbe and join the enemy in Berlin. Accompany the expedition to darkest Afrika to uncover a secret best left alone. Nazis! Archaeology! Exploration and Madness!

Moderator: Airbornexo

Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: 'Off the Record' - OOC Discussion

Post by Anatomist »

Anatomist wrote:
Syrinx wrote:From Beyond, should be on your list ;) IMDB

Call me crazy, but didn´t the small port village in The Shipping News come across as Lovecraftian, or just utterly odd, odd enough to pass for Innsmouth half breeds?
Gonna see Shipping News tomorrow :)
Yes im quoting myself 8-)
Shipping News is a odd good movie. Specially how good Kevin Spacey is to play retarded :lol:
That place MUST be Insmouth
~Bony End of Story~
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

So, for once I´m not totally off :D
Cheers!
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by Airbornexo »

Speaking of Innsmouth, I paid a visit yesterday evening - one of my players from Tatters of the King (my brother in law) volunteered to try his hand at being a Keeper for the first time ever and ran Escape from Innsmouth for three players. Had a blast and only just got my failed actor, turned stuntman out alive! More Innsmouth action please, its nice to actually play as I have sat in the Keeper's chair for more years than I care to recount!

Cheers, Hal
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by Chivalrybean »

Are the OSS posing as civilians? Sorry if I missed you saying that already. I know (or I think I do) that we can't wear uniforms on the Germans, due to the Geneva convention. At least that's what I learned listening to The Eagle Has Landed. Still working on it. It's a good book, but taking me a while to listen.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Airbornexo wrote:Speaking of Innsmouth, I paid a visit yesterday evening - one of my players from Tatters of the King (my brother in law) volunteered to try his hand at being a Keeper for the first time ever and ran Escape from Innsmouth for three players. Had a blast and only just got my failed actor, turned stuntman out alive! More Innsmouth action please, its nice to actually play as I have sat in the Keeper's chair for more years than I care to recount!

Cheers, Hal
I'm a big fan of Innsmouth action myself. I've played the beginning of Escape from Innsmouth here on this site (Kabukiman is the Keeper), and it's been a lot of fun so far. I'd really like to continue, but I was the only active player left after Welsh disappeared almost a year ago. I play intrepid reporter Alyssa Valentine, who has joined some sailors trying to rescue their kidnapped crewmate. We were just about to carry out our plan when the game ground to a halt, and I'm pretty sure once we did we'd get to the part where we have to run for our lives and the scenario really earns its name.

I played a stuntwoman named Cathy Saunders in another game that collapsed, this time when its Keeper disappeared, set in modern Vancouver and called Dissonance. She could act, but she wasn't all that good at it, and she did a lot of action B-movies in the 90s and 00s. Her stunt skills were spectacular, with 75 each in Climb, Dodge, Jump, and Swim and 70 in Throw and (the spectacularly useless in this setting) Drive Auto. Kirsten is similar but sort of the mirror image of her in some ways. She's an actress first and foremost, but she also can do stunts.
Chivalrybean wrote:Are the OSS posing as civilians? Sorry if I missed you saying that already. I know (or I think I do) that we can't wear uniforms on the Germans, due to the Geneva convention. At least that's what I learned listening to The Eagle Has Landed. Still working on it. It's a good book, but taking me a while to listen.
I believe we're going in as civilians. We could wear uniforms, but we could be shot if we were caught in them. Of course, we could be shot if we're caught anyway...
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Chivalrybean »

Mr. Handy wrote:
Chivalrybean wrote:Are the OSS posing as civilians? Sorry if I missed you saying that already. I know (or I think I do) that we can't wear uniforms on the Germans, due to the Geneva convention. At least that's what I learned listening to The Eagle Has Landed. Still working on it. It's a good book, but taking me a while to listen.
I believe we're going in as civilians. We could wear uniforms, but we could be shot if we were caught in them. Of course, we could be shot if we're caught anyway...

Yeah, I was pretty sure we weren't wearing Allied uniforms (or they 'Allied' forces don't exist yet, do they? What hear is this? {:0p)
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Well, if I'l find new players to get the ancient chars, I may resume the game later.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sounds great to me! I recall that Welsh was playing the entire crew of the boat, not just the captain, so we could probably continue with just one other player. If more than one person wants to jump in, however, there are more characters available. I remember that Laraqua was really interested in playing, but she's disappeared too.
Chivalrybean wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:

Yeah, I was pretty sure we weren't wearing Allied uniforms (or they 'Allied' forces don't exist yet, do they? What hear is this? {:0p)
It's 1941, August to be precise. While Britain had stood alone until recently, that changed when Germany invaded the Soviet Union on June 22, 1941. America is still neutral and will remain so until Japan attacks Pearl Harbor on December 7. Germany and Italy declare war on the USA on December 11.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Chivalrybean »

I learn more history playing RPGs than in any other way.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,Did I learn anything from my earlier successful Psychology roll? What language is [b]Alvaro[/b] speaking?

"Be my guest," says Kirsten with a smile, motioning at the empty seat beside her. "Pleased to meet you. I'm Kirsten Hart, the historian with this expedition. I'm from Los Angeles, in America." She extends her hand.
I got no language skill.... I guess its Spanish then... unless air give me a german as language too.
~Bony End of Story~
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Chivalrybean »

1930s map of the Belgian Congo. http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/pho ... 201932.htm

That site has many maps.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Anatomist wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,Did I learn anything from my earlier successful Psychology roll? What language is [b]Alvaro[/b] speaking?

"Be my guest," says Kirsten with a smile, motioning at the empty seat beside her. "Pleased to meet you. I'm Kirsten Hart, the historian with this expedition. I'm from Los Angeles, in America." She extends her hand.
I got no language skill.... I guess its Spanish then... unless air give me a german as language too.
It won't be easy for you to communicate with any of us if you speak nothing but Spanish, as none of our characters understand it. That's why I had raised the issue during character creation. I think we're going to need some Keeper input here, but if you were to move 20 points into German or English you could probably get the gist of what's being said and get your point across in broken, heavily accented speech.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Yea I was laughing with my wife a couple days ago about we have a character that doesn't speak any language anyone else in the group speaks. But I do remember Mr. Handy pointing it out. I agree, move 20 points, you should be ok then.

Then again, there is always the international language of love. Just put your testicles all over her. ;)
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Chivalrybean »

lawlz
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

BenTheRat wrote:Yea I was laughing with my wife a couple days ago about we have a character that doesn't speak any language anyone else in the group speaks. But I do remember Mr. Handy pointing it out. I agree, move 20 points, you should be ok then.

Then again, there is always the international language of love. Just put your testicles all over her. ;)
ill take the advice and move 20 points. I'll skip the testicle stuff as i suspect Alvaro dont shower to often, clean testicles would make a better impact im sure.
~Bony End of Story~
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

haha, that was a movie reference I hope you got. I hope you didn't think I wanted you to really do that. ;)
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I don't think I've seen the movie, or maybe I just don't remember.

If you're moving points, you might want to consider taking at least a couple out of Martial Arts. There is no direct benefit from having Martial Arts higher than your highest unarmed attack skill. When you make an unarmed attack, you roll 1d100 once. If it's less than or equal to both your attack skill and Martial Arts, you double the base damage dice (but not the damage bonus). If it's more than your Martial Arts skill and less than or equal to your attack skill, you do normal damage. If it's more than your attack skill, you miss, even if it's less than or equal to your Martial Arts.

Kabukiman, you might want to advertise Escape from Innsmouth in Existing Games Looking for Players. We've also had a few new players show up, so you might want to let them know by replying to their posts in Players Looking for Games.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Guess I'm showing my age. "Better Off Dead" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088794/quotes

Great movie from the mid 80s. Loved it.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I did see that once, a long time ago! It might have been the early 90s when I watched it though. No wonder I don't remember it.

I am old enough to have seen it when it came out, but I didn't.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Chivalrybean
Acolyte
Acolyte