Cole's Journey: Lock & Key

A resort town in cheery America is a major holiday destination that sits upon the shores of the beautiful Lake Toluca. It's a fun and fantastic location with plenty to see and do whether as one of our many wonderful tourists or as brand new residents. Catch a film or theatrical production at Artaud Theatre then retire to Annie's Bar for drinks with friends. Check out the Lakeside Amusement Park and see the historical Lighthouse that is still in operation certain days of the year. Spend a romantic evening on the Observation Deck or an evening at Pete's Bowl-o-Rama. Or take a stroll through Rosewater Park.
There's lots to see and do and that's not even mentioning White Claudia, The Order, skinned dogs, alien geometries that occasionally warp the town, nor the psychologically-induced misery and torments that spring fully formed into existence while walking the merry streets.
Welcome!

Moderator: Laraqua

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Re: Cole's Journey: Lock & Key

Post by Laraqua »

"So people can still leave and be safe?" she asked. "There were noises and my step-daddy said if I'd wait where I was told that they'd come back for me when they ewhackwooeighted but I don't think he's coming back, is he?" She looked around sadly. "I think they left without me."
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Garrett »

"Maybe your folks just got-" killed? "-held up somewhere and couldn't get back to you. I really don't think they would just leave you here, unless your dead or something, you're not are you?" I say in a somewhat joking tone, though I was legitimately worried.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Dead?" she asked with the cautious smile of a kid who can't tell if an adult is joking. "How could I be dead? I don't think zombies can talk."

She looks back around the silent streets of the deserted town with the cars left abandoned by the side of the road.

"There's really not many people left here are there."

She pauses for a moment then asks, "Do you believe in zombies?"

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

"Well I didn't, but hell anything seems possible in this place. In fact I think I saw a zombie when I was running to the asylum, but who the fuck knows."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

She winces at his swear word. "Who're you looking for?"

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

"My sister, I thought she was dead but then I learned she was just brought here." I say in a somewhat angry tone.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Oh, I'm sorry." She falls silent after that and they make their way in silence over to the pharmacy doors. The windows have all been newspapered over with several prints of Missing Persons fliers. "There's always more and more of these but they never used to put them up here." The little girl stops outside the posters and looks them over. Cole can either drag her inside, wait with her, or leave her out there as he enters.

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

"You wanna wait here or you wanna come with me?" I say, standing in the doorway trying to see if it's safe.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"I'm looking for my folks," she says softly. "I can go in in a minute."

The pharmacy seems deserted, ransacked, with only a few grimy bottles and boxes cluttering the shelves in this room dimly lit from stray strands of light coming in through the fly-specked papers stuck to the windows. The painkillers are likely somewhere in there.

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

"Alright, just scream if you see anything." I say casually, walking through the doors and looking around for the pills I was sent out for.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Cole finds the painkillers after a relatively cursory look, as well as a couple of Health Drinks that look tempting, and a bottle of water. The cash register on the counter looks tempting. Maybe there's still some cash in there?

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

I grab the health drinks and the water, as well as the painkillers of course. As I pass the cash register my greed pushes me to take some and I actually laugh out loud, I got 30k dollars in my coat pocket, and I'd set that on fire in a heartbeat to get out of this god forsaken place.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Cole spots a baseball bat beneath the counter as he pauses by the cash register.

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Ooo, that might come in handy. I think as I grab the small club. "Aight kiddo, time to go." I say as I walk out the door, putting the water and pills into my various coat pockets.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The baseball bat feels firm and decisive in his hands. It's a step back from his gun but it's still better than nothing. As he opens the pharmacy door he has a moment's thought that she might not be there anymore. Perhaps swooped up by some fell thing or otherwise spirited away into the fog. But no, for better or worse, she's still there perusing the missing person's notices plastering the windows.

"They're not there," she says in a sad little voice. "They're not missing. They just left."

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

"There wouldn't be a missing person flier for an adult kid, they probably got herded out of town in some evacuation thing and assumed the same happened to you. Now come on, we need to get moving so I can get back to my search." I say, trying to be comforting as I start walking towards the stoner's house, grabbing her if she lingers.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The little girl is silent for the rest of the journey and other than the consistent detours of which Cole is beginning to recognise and the journey is easy and without any real risk. It's odd. The town seems less dangerous now. More ... abandoned. Empty. Neglected. Yet at least it feels somehow safer. There's no more sounds of distant baying hounds nor the scrape of violent steps behind them. All is quiet. Calm but for the slight breeze that ruffles his hair. Finally they reach the apartment building within which the stoners currently wait.

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Well this can only be a good thing. I think to myself as I walk through the town, noting how much safer it feels. "Here we are." I say simply pulling the girl to the apartment that reeks of weed and knocking softly on the door, opening it if nobody answers.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Are you going to leave me here?" she asks as they head up into the apartment building. As they head upstairs the scent of weed and the sound of music can clearly be heard. "I want to go with you."

The door opens to reveal the stoner guy who blinks at him a couple times, then looks down at the little girl. "Oh, man, you came back! That's great news. D'you bring the painkillers?"

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

"Yes I am, and no you don't; you've seen all the scary shit that's out there." I say in response to the young girl's questions. As I approach the door I guzzle down most of the water, leaving a few gulps so the girl can take her medicine. (I remember in an earlier post you said I was thirsty, I assume I still am.) When the door opens I look with contempt at the stoner. "Yeah I did, I brought a scared little girl to. Watch her." I say dragging the girl into the apartment, when I reach the sofa table I put the bat, water, and pain killers down. Then take my knife and head back out the door without another word.

Return to “Welcome to Silent Hill.”