Page 1 of 1

Murray's Journey: Finders Keepers

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:38 am
by Laraqua
The side corridor ends in another door that has rotted somewhat in its frame, bulging slightly, and when he leans against the wall to steady his burden and tries the handle, he finds it stuck. They key won't even go in properly because the lock is too rusted to use. There's only one known way out and that's likely wherever Jack came in from - perhaps out through the theatre itself where that woman doubtless awaits him. Silent Hill sure is something else. If the bright lights and the dark shadows of the cities were meant to be dangerous, this fog-shrouded monster-haunted place was lethal. He'd be best served by grabbing a car and getting the hell out but Ash is still here, isn't she? The police station had people in it as well. Maybe he could go back there? Or maybe try the hospital again, though it was completely empty when he last saw it.

Re: Murray's Journey: Finders Keepers

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray hadn't been heading in that direction anyway. He wants to go through the door leading back the way he had come, to the section of hall where he had met Jack, and then on to the dressing rooms to look for a sewing kit. Afterwards, he plans to bring Craig to the hospital. Even if no medical people are there, medical supplies are highly likely.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:08 am
by Laraqua
Murray follows the blood smeared footprints toward the rearmost corridor, struggling under his blood-spattered burden, arms straining against the weight to carry him, but at least it's not far to the doors marked: dressing room. It'd be awkward to try to open the door with him in Murray's arms, with a greater risk of dropping him and causing further injury, so he lowers him to the ground and fumbles with the handle. At least there's no sign of that crazy person, Jack, now. Opening the door, he reveals the dressing room which appears much as he left it. There's a few drawers where a sewing kit could easily be kept. There's also a low couch against one wall where he could put Craig for now.
Show,if you'd really prefer to wedge him against the wall and try to move the door open, you'll need to roll a Dexterity x 3 roll with failure doing him 1d3 damage from the fall.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:00 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,No thanks, I wouldn't take a chance with that. I don't think I've actually been in the dressing rooms before. My character sheet's formatting is a little messed up now, and it doesn't yet reflect the recent changes. I now have 6 bullets spare (one fired at [b]Jack[/b] and missed, three fired into the monster), and my Sanity is currently 73.

Murray picks up Craig again and brings him into the dressing room, kicking the door shut behind him. He sets Craig gently down on the couch and then rummages through the drawers to find a sewing kit.

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:50 am
by Laraqua
Show,Can I have a Luck Roll, a Listen roll, and a Spot Hidden roll?

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:16 am
by Laraqua
The drawers slide open easily and quietly, revealing a small first aid kit and a sewing kit to one side. There is also a map of the town with several destinations circled in red with dates underneath. The locations are the Balkan Church - 1924, Police Station - 1935, Post Office - 1968, Annie's Bar - 2011, and the Indian Runner - 1987. There's also an old tape lying there whose name has been whited out that lies on top of the folded up sheath of maps. There doesn't seem to be anything out in the hallway at the moment though there is some vague noise coming out of a speaker sitting on the corner beside a folded up sweater. It's probably feeding the sound directly from the stage, perhaps to ensure people can be aware of when their part is coming up. At the moment it's been turned down but there is a dial that can be turned up.

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray pockets the map, the tape and the sewing kit, taking out the first aid kit. He first makes sure that the doors leading out of the dressing room are locked, then turns up the volume on the speaker a little more, just enough so that he can hear what's going on on the stage, but not so loud that it can be heard from beyond the room. Then he sets to work properly cleaning, treating, and redressing Craig's wound.
OOC,I already made a successful First Aid roll when I stabilized [b]Craig[/b], so I'm guessing I don't need to roll again.

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:59 am
by Laraqua
Show,Sure. Roll 1d6 for the effects of the first aid kit.
"Well, I suppose that's a wrap," says Mrs. Ash, over the speakers. Then there's a pause and a break.

"I wonder if anyone will see this. If they ever do, well, I'm sorry. I'm sorry because I've fucked up so often and I'm sorry because I never realised how good I had it. I thought ... I don't know what I thought. I thought it'd be easier, in the end, if I had no connections, no attachments, if maybe...." Her voice breaks in a sob. "It's so hard to always have to look over your shoulder, expecting it all to change, I never thought ... I never knew how to feel safe, and now.... Now I'm here, standing here, and I don't ... I don't know if I can go through with this."

"I thought it'd be easier on everyone if I were here but if I hadn't been so damn ... if Cecie hadn't been distracted ... then again, when wasn't she? I suppose I wasn't the one on the phone. She wasn't taking a call from me. But maybe, maybe if I wasn't there, maybe Katie would've stayed away from the water. I just ... I just want Katie to have stayed out of the water. I should've paid attention to where she was going. I should've...."

"They say there's a cure for death here. I've read about it. I think, though, I think it'll have a price. I think they always do. I doubt ... I doubt you'll get what you really want. You see, I ... well, I tried ... and ... it worked. It worked but it didn't work."

"Everything I'd heard about him made him seem like such a hero and I swear, I swear I thought ... maybe he could help me find a way because she isn't dead yet. Katie isn't dead. It's like she's lost her mind. She's so still.... A coma. A deep coma where any deeper and she'd be brain dead. I thought the cult might've taken her. I was raised with the stories. So many stories of what happened here and in Shepherd's Glen and the magic that was possible for those who believed. I believed, but perhaps my faith wasn't pure enough, because what came out of that morgue.... He didn't even look at me. Not really. It was like he was drawn on strings, back to that place, and I tried ... I wanted to ... I couldn't stop him. I was too afraid."

A pause, a long drawn out breath.

"I saw him again. I didn't know what to do but I was prepared with ... from the hospital ... I had them and I could.... Those damn cops. Those damn fucking cops locking me up in there. Only I don't think they're cops. Or if they are, they're not just cops. They belong to Her. They belong to the Cult. If I ever find them again, I swear I'd...."

"But then I'd have to come down from this ledge. I'd have to come down and I'd have to risk it all again but I've found the light and it's safer here and I don't want to risk the world down there but I wonder ... I wonder if I do what I came here to do ... I wonder if I'll ever truly leave."

"Well, I suppose that's a wrap," says Mrs. Ash. Then there's a pause and a break.

"I wonder if anyone will see this...." The speech continues.

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

The first aid kit doesn't do much for Craig, but it's better than nothing. "I think we're hearing what's playing on the stage. I'd love to get a look at it, as it might give me some indication as to where Ash is, but there's still a monster out there. How are you doing? Do you think you can move under your own power?"

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:03 pm
by Laraqua
"I think I can walk, yeah," muttered Craig, struggling to his feet. "Don't think I can take another hit like that, though." He winces, clutching at his bandaged wound. "No one makes bandages like Silent Hill does."

Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'll go to the hospital after we leave here," says Murray. "Maybe we can find more there. If we're really lucky, maybe we can find a doctor to go with them." He consults the map of the theater. "The back is sealed off, so we'll have to go out the front. We already know we can't get there through the hall on the right side of the building, so that leaves the left. Let's try the door to the backstage area. I left the curtain down, so it'll separate us from that monster lurking around in front of it. Maybe while we're there I'll have a peek out onto the stage behind the curtain and see what the location shown on the screen is. We can make our way through backstage all the way to the left hall, and then we can take that to the lobby and the front entrance. You ready?"

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:06 am
by Laraqua
Craig nods weakly, and staggers alongside Murray, clutching onto him like he might fall over at any second. The hallway outside is clear, as is the backstage corridor, and then the backstage area. Through the flickering projector's light, a woman's silhouette is blown up against the screen, but Murray can still see the back-to-front image of a woman by a railing, speaking into some sort of tape recorder while glancing idly at a small walkie talkie in the other hand. Behind her is fog, and she is alternately cast in shadow and light in a rhythmic fashion.

Ash continues to speak: "They say there's a cure for death here. I've read about it. I think, though, I think it'll have a price. I think they always do. I doubt ... I doubt you'll get what you really want. You see, I ... well, I tried ... and ... it worked. It worked but it didn't work."

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray nods when he sees the image, trying to place the location where it was filmed. Maybe that's the Lakeview Hotel, he thinks. I know she was staying there, and that could be a balcony. She probably did it with the camera I found in her room. He helps Craig along, moving quietly through the backstage area to the door to the hall running along the left side of the theater.
OOC,Was there a balcony at the hotel?

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:28 am
by Laraqua
Show,no, there were no balconies. The lighting pattern seems strange as well and not what you'd place at a balcony. The railing itself seems circular rather than straight, as though it encloses a circular or semi-circular platform.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

No, not the hotel, thinks Murray as he proceeds. Maybe it's the amusement park, then. I know she went there.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:52 am
by Laraqua
There are no doors to the corridor in the back part of the stage behind the curtain but its an easy matter to head out through the Backstage area and then out through the leftmost corridors until he reaches the lobby. An empty and dilapidated foyer opens up before him, lit only by the greasy, sickly sunlight slanting in through the largely papered over the window glass. It's an old-fashioned theatre, still very much in the 1940s style from when it was last renovated, and that shows in its cracked walls and faded red carpet. There are doors that lead out of the theatre itself, or the little box office, or up the stairs.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Feels almost like home, thinks Murray, looking around in admiration. "I want to check the box office before we go," he whispers. "Remember when we were out front and looked in through the window? There was something written down on the tickets there, but I couldn't make it out from that angle. Of course, it also looked like someone was inside, so we'll need to be careful." He listens at the box office door to hear anything on the other side and looks to see if there's a keyhole through which he can peek.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:17 am
by Laraqua
There is no keyhole but there doesn't sound like there's anyone in there. Of course, if they were merely standing in one place then there'd be no way to tell. That last monster he'd dealt with didn't look like it were about to breathe.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Better take another look through the window from outside first," whispers Murray, "see if whatever was in there earlier is still there." He tries the front door leading outside on the left.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:19 am
by Laraqua
"We don't have time for this," growls Craig, as Murray goes in to peer in through the window again.
Show,Do a spot hidden.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ash might have left a note in there," says Murray, peering in the window. "It'll just take a second." He only barely notices something.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:43 am
by Laraqua
Murray can vaguely make out the silhouette of someone inside the booth but whether it's a person or a mannequin or just an odd clump of shadows, it's so hard to be sure.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"It looks like there may be someone - or something - inside," whispers Murray. As much as he wants to see what's written down, he knows he can't afford to take any chances or take any more time considering Craig's condition. "All right, let's get to the hospital. Do you know the way?"

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:18 am
by Laraqua
"I dunno, it's foggy as hell and the damn injury. Fuck Jack...." Craig looks around in confusion at the streets. "Somewhere that way ... all looks so different now." He gives Murray a wan smile. "If the theatre was dangerous, how bad do you think the hospital will be? I'd hate to meet a nurse...."

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray shrugs. "Under normal circumstances, I'd like to see a nurse, but things are far from normal," he says. He takes a look at the town map he found in the dressing room and tries to find the theater and the hospital on it. "This will help us plan a route."

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:53 am
by Laraqua
The Silent Hill maps show such locations clearly marked but in the fog it'll be easy to lose their way unless they cross the street at all of the right places in preparation to make the turn. Unfortunately, in the fog, it'll be hard to see more than a half dozen feet ahead of them so while they'll be well-hidden, they most assuredly won't be safe if there are any more ... things out here.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Murray. "Let's try to find our way." He helps Craig along, trying his best to follow the route on the map, but the dense fog isn't making it easy.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:21 am
by Laraqua
"Do you ever feel like ... oh, I dunno ... I'm not sure the hospital'll have what we're looking for." Craig stared up at Murray as they walk, half bent over from the pain. "You're not ... you don't know what you're doing, do you? You're going around in circles. Shouldn't we have a plan? An ... idea? What if we run into Jack again?"

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"If we run into Jack again, my plan is to shoot him before he shoots us," says Murray. "As for the other...yeah, it does feel like going around in circles. Hell, I was at the hospital earlier, and the only reason to go back there is to look for medical supplies or people. We were going to go to Annie's Bar before that psycho showed up, and that sounds like a good idea. It was on that map I found, and maybe Rochelle will be there, and she might know where to find Ash. If not, there could be clues. I'm sure we've missed some back at the theater too, but I don't want to tangle with any more monsters. I don't have an endless supply of bullets. I did get a glimpse of the movie footage with Ash, and she was at a circular railing. Sound familiar to you? I was thinking maybe it was the merry-go-round at the amusment park or something."

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:52 am
by Laraqua
"Not sure," grunted Craig. "Light didn't look right for the amusement park. Uhh, the bar's opposite direction to the hospital. Looks like we'll be spending awhile walking. Umm, do you think ... do you think we'll find her? Ash? Your friend?"

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah. we'll find her," says Murray, helping Craig along. "It may take some time, but we know where she's been and we'll catch up to her eventually. Finding people is part of what I do for a living, and I've gotten good at it. It's harder if they don't want to be found, but not impossible. Do you know Ash, or anything about her? Every piece of information helps."

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:05 am
by Laraqua
"Nothing that you haven't told me," said Craig. "Not sure about going to that bar, though. That's where Jack worked.... What do you think that thing was? That big, pockmarked thing? It messes with my mind just thinking about it."

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's the stuff nightmares are made of," says Murray, giving voice to his earlier thoughts and shaking his head. "Maybe Jack will head to that bar. But if Rochelle's there, he might try to kill her too. There's no telling with that guy. If we're not there, she could end up dead." He pauses. "So, what can you tell me about Rochelle? How do you know her, and why do you want to find her so badly?"

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:58 am
by Laraqua
"Rochelle's a bartender," said Craig. "Tough as nails and with a will to survive like no other. She impresses me. I look up to her. If she's missing, if she's here, then I want to find her." Craig pauses. "What do you think happened to everyone else? This town is so empty."

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sounds like my kind of dame," says Murray. "Well, I'm sure she can stay alive until we find her, then. I haven't got the foggiest idea where everyone went or why. I've never seen anything like this. If you weren't seeing the same things I was, I'd think I was going crazy. You got any ideas?"

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:23 am
by Laraqua
"Seems like some kinda nightmare world," murmured Craig. "Like our nightmares come alive."

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:30 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Sure seems like it," says Murray. "You know, this looked like a nice town before everything went all screwy. I really liked the ambiance at the Lakeview Hotel, and the theater would have been great if this place were normal. Must be an interesting history behind Silent Hill."

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:05 am
by Laraqua
Their shoes echo against the asphalt in this quiet, foggy world, as they make their way down all the right streets by double checking the street signs and the buildings as they pass. It doesn't take long for the large hospital to loom up out of the fog, the gate to its courtyard drawn back, allowing them to make their way up to the rear exit of the building by the ambulance parks, if they don't want to head around the building to get to the front. The hospital is eerily quiet and still. Murray would've thought he'd hear something being here but there's nothing. No noises at all. To make matters worse, a smear of blood and two tyre skid marks lead up to a car whose bonnet is smashed up against the wall, a ruined and blackened body pinned between it and the bricks.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"When I first arrived here earlier," says Murray, "the place was normal - except for a couple of mooks who leaned on me because I was asking the wrong questions about Jack. And of course Jack himself. He wasn't going around shooting people then. Everything went all bizarro while we were there, but maybe there's someone still alive inside, or at least more medical supplies." He tries not to look at the gruesome scene. "But then things were normal when I woke up in the cell next to you after the crash. Those mooks I saw slaughtered were even alive again somehow, and they were cops now. When we're done here, we can try to find my car out front. That'll make travel easier if it's still working. Ready to go inside?"

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:15 am
by Laraqua
"No, but I don't think ready means anything here," said Craig, groaning as he clutched at his wound.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:45 am
by Laraqua
Everything sounds so quiet and still.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right, here goes," says Murray. With his revolver in one hand, he tries the door with the other.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:13 am
by Laraqua
The door opens to reveal an empty, dusty hospital corridor with doors along one side. The linoleum is cracked and peeling and in some places has come loose a little, adding a dry crunch to any steps taken inside on the odd spot. The walls are flybitten and sometimes covered with faded health-related posters.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray looks to see which doors lead off of this hallway, hoping to find one that leads to a storage room. He also recalls that there are storage rooms in the basement, so finding his way to the stairs leading down would be good too.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:27 am
by Laraqua
Murray came from the basement last time so it's easy to find the stairwell, particularly as it's on this side of the U-shaped corridor. Craig doesn't do so well on the stairs, struggling with each belabored step to keep from sliding all the way down to the bottom. The difficulty is that there's no lights on down there. There's nothing but shadows.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray takes out his flashlight with his free hand and turns it on, shining it around and looking for the storage room doors he had noticed the last time he had been here.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:32 am
by Laraqua
The basement is still in its peeling, battered condition, and the store room doesn't seem to contain medicinal supplies. Rather, it is filled with spare gurneys, stacks of blankets, boxes of medical equipment, and other assorted goods. There are a lot of gauze bandages in rolls but nothing else. They must keep their medicinal supplies upstairs in another, likely smaller, room. There is, however, a Health Drink perched on the edge of one of the shelves.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray offers the Health Drink to Craig. "You thirsty?" he asks. He stuffs a decent amount of the bandages in his pockets. "Looks like the first aid kits aren't down here, so I'm afraid we'll have to check back upstairs."

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:19 am
by Laraqua
The bandages don't appear to have been fully cleaned. Most of them are a little aged and yellow, all of them are dusty, and some of them have suspicious looking brown stains on them that could be rust or old blood.

"Yeah," says Craig, uncapping it and gulping it down. "Oh, that feels better. Whereabouts should we check?"

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not entirely sure," says Murray, putting the bandages back where he found them. "I've only been here once before. My guess is the ground floor. We can try each door systematically."

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:58 am
by Laraqua
Craig nods and follows Murray and his wavering flashlight back into the basement corridor but the stairwell has been locked with some sort of security gate, pulled shut and padlocked with a rusty lock. The elevator pings and the doors smoothly open.

"Well, that ain't natural," mutters Craig.

The probing light of the flashlight finds the elevator empty, its peeling greenish paint revealing the steel casing underneath. The lights on the buttons are all on and there's a choice of 4 buttons. B. 1. 2. 3.

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, none of this makes any sense," says Murray. "Nobody was down here to block that stairwell off, and now the elevator suddenly works. I don't trust this thing, but I guess we don't have any choice. Shall we try 1?"

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:33 am
by Laraqua
"You go in first," mutters Craig, nodding toward the elevator.

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray steps into the elevator, waits for Craig to join him, and then pushes the button marked 1.

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:11 am
by Laraqua

The elevator doors open with a ping to the ground floor. The corridor is dark but for a single set of light coming from one of the rooms at the far end of the corridor. The ground is dusty, dirty. A lone wheelchair stands abandoned by one wall. Somewhere inside the Director's Office, a telephone rings. All around him is a miasma of hospital smells, bleach and cleaning agents, mixed in with the stink of abandoned houses, lost to time and decay. Somehow, in the space of a single trip down into the basement, the hospital seems to have aged a decade, and the years haven't been kind.

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we'd better answer that," Murray says, leading the way to Director's Office and trying the door.

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:30 am
by Laraqua

The Director's Office is a mess of padded walls and open books. The telephone is a black telephone straight out of the 1950s with a winding dial and it sits on a stack of phone books in the corner behind the chair. Murray's shoes crunch shattered glass from a few dropped vials as he comes closer to it. The telephone keeps ringing. There's certainly no voicemail here.

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray picks up the receiver, which feels comfortable in his hand. I've always liked these kinds of phones, he thinks. He holds the earpiece to his hear and speaks into the mouthpiece: "Hello?"

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:09 am
by Laraqua
A man's voice, slightly buzzing as though he's speaking through a really bad connection: "You still at the hospital? Good. I need you to pick up the package from ICU and deliver it to me at the Indian Runner. We got a problem. Make sure nobody follows you."

He hangs up.

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"That was interesting," says Murray, hanging up the phone. "I think the guy on the other end must have been trying to reach the director and assumed it was me. He said to pick up the package from ICU and bring it to the Indian Runner. Then he said they've got a problem, and to make sure nobody follows me...or, rather, him. Any idea what this might be about? I'm thinking it could have to do with the drugs in this town. We should find the ICU. There's a good chance there'll be medical supplies there anyway."

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:36 am
by Laraqua
"Good point," mumbled Craig. "Though we should really just find ... Ash, Rochelle ... somebody."

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, I want to find them too," says Murray, though he is also driven to unravel this mystery, "but you do need more medical treatment. How about we check out the ICU and then leave for Annie's Bar? We can leave through the front door. Maybe my car is still out there where I left it. Any idea where the ICU is, or what floor it's on?"

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:38 am
by Laraqua
Craig nods his head, though he grumbles, "If your car even works."

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hell, I don't know if it's even still there," says Murray. "They might have towed it. But it's worth taking a look at least. So, where's the ICU? I didn't see it on the ground floor when I was here last time. Let's check upstairs."

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:38 am
by Laraqua
Craig simply shrugs. "I really ... really don't know."

He sighs and looks around. "At least it's quieter in here."

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, let's start by looking around on the second floor," says Murray.

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray leads the way up the stairs.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:58 am
by Laraqua
This stairwell is, thankfully, unblocked and its easy enough to walk up into the pitch darkness of the floor above. Where the ground floor received some flimsy light through the windows, the second floor is filled with a roiling darkness that seems to flinch away from the probing flashlight beams. Somewhere, in the distance, a clanking and mechanical sound can be heard, like fan blades struggling agaisnt a rusty turning pole, and something metal clatters against a grille. The walls themselves flake and peel their plaster in slow, staccato motions, and the odd droplet of drying blood seems to slowly slide across the floor and walls.

"This ain't right," whispers Craig.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're tellin' me," Murray whispers back. He peers around, trying to pierce the darkness with his flashlight and looking for any doors leading off the hall.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:04 am
by Laraqua
He stands on the edge of an L-Intersection. The beam of Murray's light plays over the symbols for the men's and women's toilets on the two doors to the right of the wall he is facing, though it can't penetrate any deeper in that direction. When he turns to his left, his light can reveal the edge of a wooden door against the right side wall and to the left is a door with Room 201 stencilled upon it.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, it's not in the john," Murray whispers, "and I think the ICU would have something saying that, not a room number. Let's keep going." He leads the way quietly down the hall, examining the doors as he goes.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:45 am
by Laraqua
Murray can go either straight onward from the stairwell door past the toilet doors or left down the other corridor past that random room number.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Figuring that there will probably be more numbered rooms down the corridor to the left, Murray goes straight ahead.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:22 am
by Laraqua
His flashlight wavers across a door standing at the end of the walled off corridor. There is no sign or other marking on the door to indicate where it leads.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray proceeds to the end of the hall and listens at the door.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:49 am
by Laraqua
The other hallway seems to be quiet other than a vague schhk-schhhk noise which sounds like something rough scraping across linoleum, though in a regular pattern at around the same spot. Perhaps something hanging off something else?

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm confused. Is that sound coming from the other side of the door, or from the hallway I didn't take?

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:15 am
by Laraqua
Show,Sorry, there's a corridor around the other side of the door and I jumped the gun in saying as much.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

Murray whispers to Craig what he hears on the other side of the door. "Do you want to check it out, or should we try the other direction?" he whispers. "I'm game if you are. I'll need both hands free to hold the flashlight and the gun. If you open the door, I'll cover you."

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:42 am
by Laraqua
"I'm ready," said Craig, trying to flatten himself against the wall like he had seen in the movies. He grasped the handle firmly in one hand and gestured for Murray to step back and prepare himself for whatever was about to come through that door.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray steps back and aims his flashlight and revolver at the door, then nods for Craig to open it.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:50 am
by Laraqua
Craig wrenches open the door to reveal another dark corridor whose linoleum is peeling in long, thick lines, revealing the steel mesh underflooring. The walls are pock-marked, seemingly bullet ridden in places, and the fluorescent light bulbs seem to have shattered and the moorings partially ripped from their place, with loose wiring hanging down on a blood-slick part of the flooring, sliding back and forth as though recently disturbed. The door to the left is marked Nurse Center and the door to the right is marked Operating Prep Room. The corridor continues on past this point but the flashlight is soon swallowed up in the gloom.

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we're on the right track," whispers Murray. He advances further down the corridor, carefully watching his step and giving the wiring and the wet floor a wide berth. Neither of these rooms are the one he's looking for, but it seems likely that it will be further ahead.

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:33 am
by Laraqua
It's a short walk to reach the Intensive Care Unit's door. Somewhere to the left where the corridor continues on into darkness, Murray can hear the sound of shuffling footsteps.

Craig shivers. "Aww man, think I'm gonna pass out."

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Lean on me if you have to," whispers Murray, pointing his gun and flashlight at the ICU door. "We're here. You open the door while I cover you. And we need to be quiet, there's someone - or something - off to the left."

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:33 am
by Laraqua
Craig staggers over to the door, leaning his back against it as he tugs on the handle and lets the door slowly swing open, but it stops against something when it's only a few bare inches open. Within, the room is pure darkness from what Murray can see, but then, so is the rest of the hospital.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray shines his flashlight through the narrow opening, hoping to get a glimpse of what's inside the room, particularly whatever is obstructing the door.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:09 am
by Laraqua
Whatever is obstructing the door is also behind the door and there's no way to see it without sticking his head inside the room as the door is only open by about a foot. He can see that the paint has mostly flaked to reveal concrete walls and there are only a few patches of linoleum over the grille-flooring. When he flashes his light into it, it seems to pass unobstructed before disappearing into darkness. He can see that one corner of the room has a wheelchair inside but he can't see anything else of the room without either pushing against the door or squeezing through.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray puts his shoulder to the door, trying to force it open while making as little noise as possible.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:24 pm
by Laraqua
The door swings open to reveal a dark room, split with wan light in lines upon the floor from the fan grille that is somehow lit from within. The fan blades are each as long as Murray's legs and they beat a rhythm through the air, impossibly situated in the middle of the wall of the Intensive Care Unit. Three beds and a crib sit within this room, each one surrounded by machinery that lays inert and silent, each one partially wrapped with a gauzy curtain. For a moment, Murray sees silhouetted through the curtains figures writhing upon the beds, their heads thrashing this way and that with crazed abandon, but he blinks and they're gone, leaving the cold and empty room. Something shimmers at the other end of the room, partially hidden behind one of the curtains.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

Murray glances to see what was obstructing the door, then creeps across the floor of the ICU, making very little noise. He makes his way over to the shimmering object, moving the curtain aside with the barrel of his gun to get a better view of it.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:14 am
by Laraqua
There's an old-fashioned suitcase lying behind the door. Its faded brown leather patchy in places from frequent use. Murray creeps forward, past the silent beds, to the shimmering object and finds an expensive wrist watch lying on the floor. The light had been glinting off its cracked face. It looks like the hands had stopped on 4.23. A few feet away, laying in a dried blood smear, is a wallet filled with cash. Further along in the corner of the room, the trail extends up the wall and through an oddly placed vent that is just above head height.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Temporarily wedging the flashlight between his chin and his shoulder, Murray picks up the wallet and watch and places them in one of his trenchcoat's many pockets to examine later. Then he retrieves the flashlight and shines it into the vent to see what's in there.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:45 am
by Laraqua
The wallet fits snugly in one of his pockets like it was made to be in there. Murray has to go up on tip toes to peer into the vent and he can see some sort of shape in there, further inside, and as he moves his flashlight to capture it, the shape darts left down a T-junction and out of shape. It looked ... human, but it's hard to be sure. Somewhere in the vent, comes a woman's voice, sobbing: "Oh god oh god oh god". It sounds like Ash, though its warped and echoing through the vent shaft.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:23 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,This will probably be my last post in this game before I leave, and I won't be able to post again at least until the night of July 8, maybe not even until the night of July 9. Is the vent big enough for someone to fit inside? Also, please don't let me forget the suitcase after I return. I want to bring that with me when I leave this room.

"Ash?" says Murray into the vent. "Ash, it's Murray Archer. I'm here to help you. Where are you?"

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:23 pm
by Laraqua
Murray's voice echoes back to him and he can hear the whimpers in the background. The vent is sized large enough for someone as big as Murray to crawl through, should he decide to do so.

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Murray[/b] is not that crazy...yet. ;)

Murray returns to the entrance. "Ash is in this place somewhere," he whispers. "I heard her through the vent. She sounds upset and frightened. I think this might be the package that was left here." He wedges the flashlight under his chin again and examines the suitcase, opening it to see what's inside.

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:23 am
by Laraqua
The suitcase holds a nurse's uniform, carefully folded and put away, with a clip on flashlight and a matchbook for Annie's Bar. Inside, it has the words 'Missing You Truly' on a scrunched up piece of paper that appears to be tea stained. There's also an old envelope addressed to Mariam Mueller, on 12 Koontz Street, Silent Hill and a receipt for a local pharmacy. Underneath the uniform is a photograph of a young boy and girl, a few decades old, who appear to be dirty and ill-kept. They almost look homeless. The oddest item here is the bag of blood of the sort that normally gets placed into I.V. drips and a little Sad Face porcelain mask.

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray hands his flashlight to Craig and takes the clip-on out of the suitcase. He clips it onto one of the front pockets of his trenchcoat, then closes up the suitcase again and picks it up with his now free hand. "I'll go through this stuff later when we've got time," he whispers. "Right now we need to find Ash." He thinks back to when he had heard her voice through the vent, trying to figure out in which direction she was.

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:25 am
by Laraqua
It was somewhere through the vent which is on the other side of the left wall. Of course, that means moving closer to whatever made that noise earlier.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"I briefly saw something roughly human-shaped in the vent," Murray whispers, flicking on his clip-on flashlight. "It might have been Ash - but it might not. It'd be risky to go through them. But I know from which direction her voice came. If we head around that way, we should be able to reach her. However, I know there's something shuffling around the hall up ahead." He indicates the corridor ahead and to the left. "Of course, that might be Ash too. How do you want to play this? Just keep going and hope for the best, or try the vents? Are you up to climbing up and crawling through them? Are you okay with waiting here while I go?"

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:02 am
by Laraqua
Show,sorry, from where you're standing now and facing the door, it's to your right.
Craig nods weakly. "Okay, I'll just stand up against this doorway while you check it out. Don't think the door's far." He coughs and clutches at his wound, wincing. "Man, I wish I had a flashlight."

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:27 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I just gave him my original flashlight a few posts up after I found the clip-on.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:28 am
by Laraqua
Show,I know. Pain + Excuses = Terrible Excuses.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I just gave you one," Murray whispers back. He sets the suitcase down. "I'll just leave this here with you and come back for it. You can sit on top of it if you like. All right, I'm off. If you need help, just scream." He tiptoes ahead down the corridor, revolver in hand. He is so silent that he might as well be gliding.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:32 am
by Laraqua
Craig blushes and looks guiltily at the flashlight he's still holding in his hand. "Yeah, I'll guard the suitcase," he mumbles.

Murray moves silently but he knows the flashlight must stand out against the darkness. There's no way to truly stealth through a corridor when a beam of light is coming from your shoulder. Still, he reaches the next door down before something further down the corridor unleashes an inhuman screen.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm using the clip-on flashlight, not the handheld one, if that makes a difference. Is there a chance I see the thing before it sees me? If I do, I can turn the flashlight off. I've done that in the Silent Hill games.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:59 am
by Laraqua
Show,No you don't see it before it spots the light and its positioning won't help you. You can still switch off the light and attempt to stealth. You'll then get a halved Luck roll to avoid bumping into it (due to the small space you're using).

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray flicks off the light and tries the door, hoping it will open so that he can slip through. If that doesn't work, he presses himself against the wall, his gun ready in case whatever it is still sees him - which, knowing his luck, it will.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:32 am
by Laraqua
No such luck. The creature brushes him by, its hand jerking against his arm. Is it a creature? It breathes like a human and that was a hand ... yet the noise it had made earlier.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Don't be afraid," says Murray softly. "If you're human, say something." He's ready to flick on the flashlight with one hand and shoot with the other if the figure does something inhuman.

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:14 am
by Laraqua
There's a terrified screech and hands scrabble at Murray's arm, trying to grab hold of him, but leaving only bruises for her efforts. Murray slips out of her grasp and backs up a few steps (I'm guessing).

Without any lighting, Murray is in complete darkness. He can't see anything at all but neither can she, hopefully.

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray stealthily creeps down the hall in the direction he had originally been heading, away from the creature. He feels his way along the wall for the next door. The vents probably would have been safer, he thinks. I'll have to use them to get back.

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:49 am
by Laraqua
As the creature came from the direction he was going, he now finds himself doubling back to the corner of the U. If he crosses the corridor, he can get back to the room where Craig waits. Otherwise, he can continue on to the stairwell or other rooms.

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray rejoins Craig. "There's something nasty roaming the hall ahead of us," he whispers. "I managed to slip away from it, but that way is out. I'll have to crawl through the vents to find Ash."

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:30 am
by Laraqua
Craig ensures the door is shut behind Murray, then whispers, "Okay, but be quick about it. Don't wanna be left here alone for long." He turns on his flashlight and glances around the room with its disturbing hospital beds. "And take care of yourself."
Show,it will take a Climb check to get into the next room.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray hoists himself up and tries to crawl through the vent, in the direction from which he had heard Ash's voice and seen the figure moving, but it is slow going.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:37 am
by Laraqua
It takes him a moment and his hands reverberate against the sticky metal panels as he slowly thumps his way inside. He raises the flashlight and can see that the tunnel continues on for a dozen feet, which is odd considering that it would cross through a couple of rooms more than likely. It ends in a simple ventilation grille, which is the other odd thing. There are no other vents connecting to this one. It seems to simply connect two rooms together. As he grows closer to that room, he can hear the mild burble of conversation and can see a mild glow of light coming from the room.
Show,so do a Listen and Spot Hidden check and a Stealth if you'd like to.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:21 am
by Laraqua
"...think that's really a wise idea?" asked a man in a low voice, seething with anger.

"You created this entire situation," said another man, his voice more airy yet still deliberate. "There are no wise ideas now. Simply damage control. Perhaps you should be more cautious where you put your knives...."

"That situation was out of control. We did what we had to do!"

"No, you did what you wanted to do. If we had left things to run their natural course they would have more fully understood the situation and either left or ... remained."

Murray gets close enough to see what looks like an old-fashioned den complete with a few overstuffed arm chairs sitting around a scarred heavy wooden coffee table that stood on a rug which covered the polished wooden floorboards. A few bookcases and display cases sat around the walls, showing leather bound books and a variety of African artwork. There are two men in the room, both dressed in suits.

The man who stands closest to him has his back turned to Murray, his suit and hair are both black, and he is somewhat pudgy. "Leave your remonstrations for the masses," he snapped. "It is our circle that administers to this town and ensures its health."

The other man stands by a grammophone, idly pouring himself some brandy from a decanter. "With a little bolstering from the church tithes, hmm?" He looked over at his companion. "How can I fund what I don't truly understand?" He gestures around the room. "Such as your awful taste in decor."

"If Claudia had been successful we wouldn't be having this conversation."

"Indeed, we would not. Pity." He paused and swirled the brandy in the glass. "And yet we are still devoid of Heaven on Earth and thus must seek out our own fortunes and futures. Perhaps you should finish what you started, hmm? Put down this Ash before she goes around resurrecting too many old ghosts. We already know about Jack and I've already seen Millicent when I called down the hammer of God upon that burglar. Now with Rochelle added to the Missing Persons Department I'm really beginning to worry.... Who will he come for next? Me?" He gestures to himelf. "Or you?"

"He can't harm me."

"Not directly, no, but there are so many indirect ways to slay that which the town disapproves of."

"I have served our Mother faithfully!" snapped the man.

"Do you?" The man cocks his head to one side. "Methinks the man protesteth too much. Silent Hill groans in its slumber and all eyes do appear to be going your way, councillor." He smiled. "It could be worse, though. You could be the Mayor."

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray continues to watch and listen with interest. Everything's gone to hell, and they're talking like it's business as usual, he thinks. What's with all the pseudo-religious claptrap? Councillor, huh? I bet he's the guy who hired those two mooks I met earlier. Gotta find out what they're planning and how much they know so I can protect Ash.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:13 am
by Laraqua
"With words like that I'm not surprised you've been stabbed before, Father," said the Councillor.

"Oh, you wound me," said the other man, finishing his drink and then placing the glass back down. "Now I have to go and deal with your mess as it so often falls to me to lead the flock out of the jaws of stupidity." He turns and heads for the door and out of sight of the vent grille.

"Oh Vincent?" queried the Councillor.

"Mm?"

"Take care. You have many enemies. Someone has already made an attempt on your life to get their hands on your precious books once. I wouldn't want their next attempt to be successful."

"Indeed."

The door shuts and the councillor sighs before going to pluck out a book, sitting down on a wingchair, and reading it. Murray can get a good look at his face, but he can't recognise the man.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Can I take a picture of him with my camera without risk of drawing attention to myself if I turn off the flash?

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 am
by Laraqua
Show,Yes you can.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray takes out his camera, turns off the flash, and zooms in on the Councillor. He snaps a picture, and it comes out quite well in spite of the lack of lighting.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:23 am
by Laraqua
The Councillor doesn't seem to notice.

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray puts his camera away and quietly crawls back through the vent to the room where he left Craig.

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:10 am
by Laraqua
Its disconcerting to crawl backwards for so far, especially as the vent is tight enough that he has to peer down and between his legs to see anything, but he eventually comes out the other side and drops down into the room.

Craig is still there, looking pale and nervous as he leans up against the wall. "Least there's been no thudding on the door," he says.

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"The vent only goes to one other room," says Murray. "It's some kind of den. Looks very out of place in a hosptial. There were two guys in suits there, and they were up to no good. One of them, a fat man with black hair, is a Councillor. The only one whose name I know is Jarrod Raymond. Those two toughs I saw torn to pieces here earlier, who later turned up as detectives at the cop shop, probably worked for him. They had his cards in their wallets. I snapped a picture of him, and he wasn't any the wiser." Murray takes out his camera and shows Craig the photo. "Look familiar to you? He called the other guy, one with glasses, Father and Vincent. They were spouting all this gobbledygook about religion, but it sounded all weird and hinky to me. They belong to some secretive Order or circle or something, and they talked about serving their Mother. They mentioned a bunch of names when they were talking. Vincent told the Councillor to put Ash down before she 'goes around resurrecting too many old ghosts.' They mentioned Jack and someone named Millicent, and that Rochelle was missing. They seemed scared of someone, but they didn't say who he was. They were worried he'd come after one of them next. Before Vincent left the room, the Councillor told Vincent that someone had already tried to kill him to get his books."

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:26 am
by Laraqua
"Does any of this mean anything to you?" asked Craig. "It all just seems too strange for me. I never payed much attention to the council, tell you the truth. Any sign of Ash?"

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"The way I figure it," says Murray, "these two are part of some kind of secret society, up to some conspiracy or other. I didn't see Ash, but she must have gone through that vent before the first time I looked in there, and I'm sure those two guys want to kill her for some reason. The way I see it, I can either go back through the vent and confront the Councillor who's still in the den, or I can try to get down the hall again past that thing. Fighting it isn't a good idea; they'll be bound to hear the shots. But if I keep the light off, I can slip past while feeling my way along the wall."

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:55 am
by Laraqua
"Err, well, whatever you think's best," said Craig. "Personally I doubt she's here. I mean, if she was, wouldn't those two men have found her by now?"

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe," says Murray, "but they've only just started looking, and only one of them actually left the den. She could have found a very good hiding place too. That'll make it harder for me to find her, but I'm good at finding people who don't want to be found. I heard her voice earlier from the vent the first time I was in the ICU, and I saw someone crawling away through it. If she is here, I may be her only chance. I have to try." WIth his light off, he creeps down the hallway feeling his way carefully along the wall, heading in the direction that he had been going before whatever lurked there had interrupted him. He grips his revolver in one hand, just in case he can't avoid it.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:43 am
by Laraqua
Show,just how Stealthy and Lucky are you? Also, roll Listen.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray isn't as quiet as the first time he had gone this way, but he's silent enough, and this time his light isn't shining and giving him away. His luck holds up extremely well, and he hears everything around him.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:04 am
by Laraqua
Murray can hear the sound of wood creaking, or is it bones rattling?, and the sound of chattering teeth only a few feet away from him further down the corridor in the direction he would need to go to get back to the stairs. His finger tips brush the wall as he steps cautiously, sticking close to it, until he reached the first door. There may be more further down the corridor. Will he take a chance or go in this one? Its only a few feet down the corridor so its unlikely to be where those two men were talking.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray quietly tries the door. He doesn't want to find the two men, he wants to find Ash before they do, and he has to check everywhere in this section of the hospital so that he doesn't miss her.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:17 am
by Laraqua
The door handle turns quietly and smoothly. Unlocked. There doesn't seem to be anything blocking it either.

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray opens the door without a sound, slips inside, and closes it quietly behind him. Then he turns on his clip-on flashlight and looks around.

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:29 am
by Laraqua
He shuts the door quietly behind him and finds himself in a very large ward with seven cots spaced around it with hospital curtains swung back against rusting poles. The hospital beds are spattered with an ashen shape that seems somewhat humanoid. The walls are hung with a wide painting, one of which covers the many layers of blood stained gauze that hangs from the windows like curtains, buzzing with flies. The paintings themselves seem important although Murray's flashlight is too weak to truly illuminate them from his position by the door.

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray quietly walks around the room, searching anywhere that could hide someone Ash's size, particularly on and under the cots. When he gets to the paintings, he examines them up close out of curiosity.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:42 am
by Laraqua
Under the painting it says: "From within Three Saints Comes Truth Ascendant".

Under the painting of St. Jennifer, it says "Unwavering Faith Under Death's Blade"

Under the painting of St. Nicholas, it says "Miraculous Hands, a Doctor of God"

Under the painting of St. Alessa, it says "Mother of God, Daughter of God"

For some inexplicable reason, Murray is struck by a strong sensation that there is a riddle here and that it is vital to somehow get it right. While he doubtless doesn't believe in whatever weird cultic reason for these paintings, that doesn't mean that the cult themselves didn't put stock into them and decide to use it as some kind of code to protect their own secrets.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

The wheels in Murray's mind turn quickly. Oh, I get it, he thinks. I have to do something with these paintings in the proper order. Ascendant, that means I go from the shortest figure to the tallest. And Alessa is her own grandma, somehow. Well, she looks like the shortest one, on the left of that painting of the three of them together. Jennifer is next, and finally Nicholas. He examines the painting of Alessa carefully, looking for hidden catches, buttons, or anything of the sort with his keen detective's eyes.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:54 am
by Laraqua
There seems to be a mercury thermometer partially hidden beneath the metal plaque.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Okay, thinks Murray, taking the thermometer, so the thermometer represents Alessa. The other two paintings must have other objects hidden under the plaques, and the one with all of them together probably has some place to put them. And if I do it right, some secret door opens or something, I guess. Like in one of those computer games. Never thought I'd see anything like that in the real world. Or those freaky monsters, for that matter, but there you go. He examines the painting of Jennifer next to see if it too has an object hidden by its plaque.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:57 am
by Laraqua
The thermometer seems tightly bound within the wooden frame of the painting. Much of it can't even be seen beyond its bulb. The Jennifer painting also has a thermometer held tightly in place within the painting.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:01 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray examines the thermometers to see what temperature they show.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:19 am
by Laraqua
Its only the bulbs that are on display.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray checks the painting of Nicholas for a hidden thermometer, and finally he examines the portrait of all three of them.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:38 am
by Laraqua
All three of the paintings have a hidden thermometer. The paintings appear to be securely fastened to the walls.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray grips the bulb of the thermometer in the portrait of Alessa, hoping his body heat will trigger a reaction.

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:25 am
by Laraqua
Nothing seems to happen. Perhaps his body heat isn't warm enough?

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Do I have the matchbook from Annie's Bar that was in the suitcase I found on me, or would I have to go back to where I left the suitcase and get it?

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:07 am
by Laraqua
Show,I'll let you have picked it up. You ARE a Noir P.I.

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Cool beans, thanks!

Murray takes out the matchbook and lights a match, then holds it to the bulb of the thermometer attached to the painting of Alessa.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:54 am
by Laraqua
For a moment there is no sign of anything and then the eyes in the painting seem to char and a reddish substance identical to what is in the thermometer spills down the paintwork, running along fine grooves that Murray hadn't noticed before until they spell the numbers 555.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray nods to himself and goes over to the picture of Jennifer, where he applies a lit match to the bulb there before repeating the process with the portrait of NIcholas.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:41 am
by Laraqua
The process repeats to reveal a 677 and a 7610, in that order. So ... 555 677 7610. What could that mean?

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Looks kind of like a phone number, thinks Murray. A fake phone number at that. They're always using 555 in fake phone numbers. If it goes first, which it would if they're in ascending order, it's not a valid area code, but neither is 677. He examines the fourth painting, the one with all three figures, to see if it also has a thermometer or some other hidden object or component.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:02 am
by Laraqua
Show,555 isn't a fake area code when used in creative works as it's considered bad form to put up someone's phone number as, guaranteed, people would try it to see if it's some kind of easter egg. While I know that wouldn't be the case here, I went with the trope anyway so in-game it's a real area code. 555 is the one always used in the Silent Hill games, too. Make a Spot Hidden on the last painting.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

Murray can't tell if there's anything unusual about the last painting. He takes out his cell phone and makes sure it is set to vibrate so that it won't make any noise and alert whatever is out in the hall. Then he calls 555-677-7610 on it.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:13 am
by Laraqua
"Hello?" asks a weak sounding voice. "Travis? Travis, is that you? Have you found her yet?"

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry, I'm not Travis," says Murray. "I am, however, good at finding people. My name is Murray Archer. Who are you looking for?"

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:01 am
by Laraqua
"Oh no, you're not one of his dirty boys, are you?" She clucks. "Well, I hope you've been smart enough to find that girl yet. She's in the hospital and she's very sick. They've even said they're going to kill her if you don't get there and stop them. Poor little thing.... You won't want to have to face Cecie if you don't save her little girl. She's feeling quite poorly. Oh, and do tell Travis to bring some milk down to Brookhaven, will you? I can't put the kettle on if I don't have any milk."

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ma'am, I don't know Travis," says Murray, "but if I run into him, I'll pass the message along. This little girl, is she the same one that Ash has been visiting at the hospital? I'm there now. Do you know what room she's in?"

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:56 am
by Laraqua
"Is it a little girl? What was her name now? Laura? No, that isn't it. Cecie ... no ... not CC ... Katie. That's the one. She should be in ICU. Can you get her teddies for her? You might need to go deeper first. Can you see the door?"

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"I was in the ICU earlier, but I didn't see Katie or anyone else in there," says Murray. "I didn't find any teddies in there either. Do you have any idea where she might have gone?"

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:18 am
by Laraqua
"Well, have you found the door yet?" asked the woman in a brittle, snappish sort of voice as though he was a fool not to have thought of it himself.

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Can you please be more specific?" asks Murray. "There are a lot of doors in the hospital. Can you describe what this particular door looks like?"

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:27 am
by Laraqua
"Didn't you notice what had nothing to notice about it?" asked the old lady. "Do you have a knife? You won't find the door without a knife. Such things are so easily concealed."

With that the phone clicks and the line goes dead.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray shrugs and pockets the phone again. I do have that switchblade, he thinks, but I don't know why I'd need it to find this door. He examines the fourth painting one last time, the one with all three figures. He checks specifically for a hidden thermometer like the others had, and he also tries to remove it or swing it out from the wall to see if there's anything concealed behind it. Maybe I need to cut it open with the knife or something to find the door.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:49 am
by Laraqua
The painting is quite firmly attached to the wall. There's no thermometer, no hinges, and it seems to be almost glued down against the plaster with some firm substance as it doesn't budge no matter how well Murray manhandles it.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy

Well, THAT didn't work, thinks Murray. Maybe this is what she meant. He takes out his switchblade and tries to cut the painting free of the frame.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:06 am
by Laraqua
The switchblade makes swift work of the canvas, soon leaving a small wooden doorway visible in the frame that leads into another small tunnel about four feet high and two and a half feet wide.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Yep, still got it, thinks Murray. I should be a private detective or something. He crouches low and enters the tunnel.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:08 am
by Laraqua
The cement floor is cool against his hands and there seems to be some sort of breeze coming down from the other end. His flashlight reveals only darkness and the passage takes a ridiculously long time to cross before finally the light settles on a cement bend that takes him right down an equally long passageway. The air smells slightly like cinnamon sugar and peppermint essence, the scent growing stronger as the tunnel grows narrower before ending up against some wooden obstruction. It seems like someone has pushed a cupboard up against the hole.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray tries to slide the cupboard aside.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:37 am
by Laraqua
It doesn't slide but it can be pushed. It looks like its some sort of wooden bin about half-full judging by the way it rocks. Moving it further aside with a noisy scrape against the floor, Murray finds himself in what looks to be the Operating Prep Room. Rusted stainless steel sinks, tables, and water-scabbed off-white cabinets line this room. A box of latex gloves, badly moulded, sits on a shelf by the door and a tray of surgical tools lays on the floor, having spilled much of its utensils across the damp floor. There's even some odd contraption that looks sort of like a microwave that sits in an alcove embedded amongst the wall of off-white cupboards. Its a dark and blood-stained room with a gore-slick steel operating table.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Curious, Murray crawls out into the room, stands up, and looks inside the cabinets and cupboards.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:51 am
by Laraqua
There's a Robbie the Rabbit doll sitting on a gore-slick steel operating table. The cupboards themselves contain stained and bloody gauze and other linen alongside rusted surgical tools that look to have stepped out from some sort of medieval torture dungeon.

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray picks up the stuffed rabbit and wipes it clean. Katie's going to adore you once I find her, he thinks. He tiptoes over to the door and puts his ear to it, hearing whatever is on the other side.
OOC,Is the rabbit small enough to fit in one of my pockets?

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:33 am
by Laraqua
The rabbit is about the length of his forearm and isn't easily stuffed into his pockets.

There does seem to be a slow, shuffling moment with someone whimpering and crying and whispering, "Heeeeeelp meeeeee", a few moments pass and her footsteps (it sounds like a lady in heels) grows more distant until there's a door opens and shuts behind her.

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray tucks the rabbit under his left arm so that his hand remains free and keeps his revolver in his right hand. Quietly, he cracks the door open and peeks out into the hall.

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:53 am
by Laraqua
Linoleum tiles peel back to reveal exposed and rotted wood riddled with holes and shavings as though large termites had infested it. Several ceiling tiles have fallen down, revealing hideous gaps where insulation should be, and vents smeared with a reddish brown rust jut from the ceilings. The walls are plain and bland, the paint having faded or even scraped loose in places, sometimes lined with thick scratches and gashes as though someone has taken a knife to it. It looks like an L-shaped corridor identical to the one you passed through earlier but that vent was quite long. Shouldn't you be in another section of the building now?
Show,are you using a flashlight? If no, you see pitch darkness.

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray quietly ventures out into the hall, closing the door behind him and making a mental note of its location. He looks to see what other doors are nearby.
OOC,Yes, I'm using the flashlight.

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:23 am
by Laraqua
As I forgot to mention, there is also a door in the room that he was in but it has been barricaded with wooden planks nailed over the door. It really doesn't look like this hospital has been taken care of at all. Is it an abandoned hospital? Once that is no longer operational? To the left is a door that compartmentalises the corridor and to the right is a left-bend in the corridor. Straight across is a Nurse Center door and to the right is the Intensive Care Unit label which is where you left Craig, isn't it?

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray creeps over to the right and listens at the door to the ICU. What, is there two of everything in this hospital? he thinks. This can't be the same place. Maybe that tunnel took me into some sort of weird version of it - or, rather, weirder. Nothing else about this place makes any sense, so why should this? Looks like we've gone down the rabbit hole, Robbie. Then he sidles along the wall and peeks around the corner to see what's in the rest of the corridor, just to make sure it's clear before he checks the ICU.
OOC,Did my earlier critical Listen success let me deduce which door the person I heard in the hall earlier went through?

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:50 am
by Laraqua
Show,the door across from the one you went into - so the Nurse's Station. Don't bother rolling Listen for the rest of this page. I'll take your critical success to count as a success for the next few posts.
To reach the ICU door he has to peer around the corner first. Taking a look around the edge of the corridor notes a few more doors matching the corridor he had blindly walked through last time. There's several bloodied footprints here and there that seem to have meandered aimlessly before heading into 205. The corridor goes on further than that but this shadowy darkness seems to cramp the beam of light. Heading across to the ICU door he can hear the vague sound of a heart monitor but not a whole lot else. A cursory inspection of the door handle reveals that the room is locked.
Spoiler:
Show, Spot Hidden please.

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray is about to go for his lockpicks when he notices something.

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:24 am
by Laraqua
He wouldn't have seen it if his flashlight hadn't probed the key hole at the right angle and he hadn't caught a glimpse of the wires that had been inserted into the key hole from the other side. Some sort of electrical trap, perhaps? It might be worth finding some way to prise open the wooden boards on the other door. Alternatively, he could try his luck and hope that the power is out - presuming these wires are set to the mains and not to some internal generator.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Better not take any chances, thinks Murray. I'm going to need a crowbar or something. Jaws of Life would be ideal. He returns to the prep room to see if any of the surgical tools would do the trick, and to take a closer look at that microwave-looking contraption.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:18 am
by Laraqua
There's nothing in the Prep Room that's solid enough to take out those planks of wood. Even the rib spreaders aren't designed to jerk them out and most of the implements are rather delicate. Surgical steel is renowned for holding a sharp edge but it can be rather brittle in how it is fashioned into blades. Strangely enough, a lot of the implements are also rusty in parts and the one thing surgical steel is really known for is the way it resists rust - an important detail when you're cutting into people and possibly risking tetanus and other infections. How long have these tools been out here?

The microwave-like device is thoroughly beyond Murray's ken. Some sort of steriliser perhaps? It isn't on.

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Huh, thinks Murray. Funny, I don't feel a hundred years older. Twenty, maybe. That heart monitor or whatever it was in the ICU had power, so that trap on the door probably does too. He pads over to the door to the nurse's station and puts his ear at it to hear what the person who went inside is doing.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:39 am
by Laraqua
There's a faint shuffling coming from inside that room as though someone were shuffling back and forth in a rather confined space, pausing every few moments before continuing.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Maybe that's Cece, thinks Murray. From what I heard on the phone, I'd better not disturb her until I've found Katie. He tiptoes away and over to the door to Room 205, where the footprints lead. He listens at that door.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:14 am
by Laraqua
It seems quiet inside.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray tries the door, his gun ready, bracing himself in case there's a dead body or a live monster on the other side - or both.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:54 am
by Laraqua
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andregovia/2194094428/

Room 205 is one of the greyest rooms he's entered and the only patch of colour comes from the bloodied footprints that leads to one of the patient lockers where the patients would have kept their clothes. There's about two beds in this room.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray pulls on the locker door to open it, prepared for anything.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:23 am
by Laraqua
Its locked.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray is prepared for this too. He takes out his lockpicks and deftly sets to work.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:30 am
by Laraqua
There's a click as the tumblers fall into place and he unlocks the locker door.

As he reaches out to grasp the door, there's a metallic scrape across the linoleum outside the door to Room 205. The scrape continues for a few seconds, then pauses outside of the door. There's a sound, a low groaning sound almost like an engine sputtering, then a brief moment of silence.

Something about the air makes his hair stand up on end.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray stands stock still. He stashes his lockpicks away and grips his revolver, making sure to stay silent and waiting for whatever is outside the room to move away.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:17 am
by Laraqua
Something thuds heavily against the door, sending a trickle of plaster drifting from the ceiling.

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:02 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray tries to slide the beds over to the door in order to barricade it shut.

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:31 am
by Laraqua
As Murray reaches the first bed and wheels it into position, the creature thuds against the door and it buckles in the frame, even as the locker door pops open from the vibrations, revealing its empty interior and the rack where a person could have once hung their clothes. Its about a foot and a half wide and about as far deep. There's an envelope or something within it. The beds are made from a lightweight metal and on wheels. Shoving it down on its side would be the only way to form a barricade but then it'll only keep the door from opening inward. If it breaks down the door, the bed will only block about 3 - 4 feet of space and a person could easily get over it. At least it'd slow them down. Briefly.

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray positions the beds to block the door, reasoning that it's worth it to buy a little time. Then he grabs the envelope, slips quietly into the now empty locker, and closes the door, hoping to hide from whatever is out there. Luckily, he's got a pretty small frame. If he's found, he still has his gun.
OOC,Are there any openings in the locker door through which the light from my flashlight might shine? If so, I'll have to turn off my flashlight so it isn't seen. If not, I would like to look inside the envelope while I'm in there.

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:13 am
by Laraqua
It'll require a feat of strength to knock over that bed due to its awkward design - it isn't designed to tip over (equivalent to SIZ 18 due to weight and shape on the resistance table). It'll also require time and agility to grab up the thin envelope despite the adrenaline and time sensitivity (as you'll be picking it up while hurrying across the room DEX versus 12). Closing the locker door and hiding within isn't any difficulty, though the slats that around eye level and the narrow confines would make it very difficult to open the envelope and read it without rattling around inside and revealing the flashlight. More to the point, each of these actions will take time (one round each).

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray knows he isn't strong enough to upend the beds, so he just leaves them in place and hopes they'll slow down the monster in the hall. He tries to snatch up the envelope, but he can't quite reach it. Not wanting to spend any more time, he ducks into the locker, quietly shuts the door, and flicks off his flashlight. He grips his revolver tightly and holds still.

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:03 am
by Laraqua
The door shatters shortly after he slips into the locker and pulls it closed, switching off the flashlight and plunging the room into darkness. The darkness doesn't last long as the door shatters and there's the sound of screeching metal entering the room, followed by the sound of the heavy hospital bed knocked across the room and slamming into the wall beside the wall. There's a groaning sound - more industrial than animal - and footsteps enter the room and a creature, a horrid creature, walks in a crouch into sight. Its hunched and muscular back is blackened and glowing with embers and its head, a dog-like maw, twitches spasmodically as it grinds teeth like jagged steel that unleashes the awful groaning sound. It raises a mishappen paw to reveal long sharp daggers of rended metal whose spikes are long enough to reach the ground when it walks. It seems to almost scent the air and as it steps forward Murray can make out what almost looks like a grammophone melted into its back.

The sight of the creature is
truly a horror to behold,1/1d6+2 SAN loss

"Ah, is the patient awake?" asks a jovial and upper class sounding British voice. "No? Excellent. It seems as though the sedatives have done their work although it does appear that our patient lays dreaming. We can only wonder what he lays dreaming about. Judging by his grimace, it's nothing good."

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray's eyes go wide when he sees the hideous monstrosity, but he holds his fears in check and remains absolutely still, hoping against hope that it cannot smell him. That voice, he thinks, it must be coming from the gramophone. Yeah, that makes sense. Well, almost.

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:18 am
by Laraqua
"Note his muscular and nervous twitches have increased in severity," continues the man's voice. "Perhaps we will be granted a chance to view a seizure? That would certainly be an interesting experience. It is thought that the patient might be subject to an effect of the local flora in Silent Hill."

The creature sniffs the air a few more times and then slowly advances toward the locker, its head twitching this way and that, either because it isn't truly sure of the source of the scent or simply because it lacks control over its own head.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray remains frozen in place, his gun pointing at the door in case the creature tries to open it. How do I get into these situations, Robbie? he thinks towards the stuffed rabbit tucked under his left arm.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:00 am
by Laraqua
A dull female wail sounds out from somewhere deeper within the hospital and the creature snarls, a twisted metallic sound, and whips around with impossible speed before slamming its way through the ruined door and sprinting off down the corridors.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray finally exhales, unaware that he had been holding his breath. He waits until he is certain he can no longer hear the creature before silently opening the locker door and stepping back out into the room. He faces the locker and cautiously turns the flashlight back on, so that its light shines into the locker and nowhere else. He then takes the envelope, examines it, and opens it.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:42 am
by Laraqua
The letter is typewritten and rather plain about it as well:

Can't be spotted. Heat is high. Ramone is running. Good time to make the offer.
Need to take official / unofficial leave. Others are expecting it so okay on that end.
Birthday party. Ass end of nowhere. Can't go wrong.
Lighten up on Dawson. He's necessary. He's people are getting out of hand.

MR

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Interesting clue, thinks Murray, slipping the letter back into the envelope and pocketing it. Wish I knew who these people were so I could make sense of it. Maybe I'll find out later. He tiptoes over to what's left of the door, peeking out into the hall and listening for any sounds.
OOC,Was I able to tell which way the creature went?

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:42 am
by Laraqua
Unless the creature decided to go down the elevator shaft it likely went left down the corridor. That's where the sounds seemed to have gone but he was pretty scared and sound moves strangely in this hospital so it's impossible to be sure.

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

Better to play the odds, thinks Murray, creeping down the hall to the right and looking around for other doors.

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:43 am
by Laraqua
There is one other room: Room 206 and a door that leads to the room where the elevator is kept.

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray pads over to the door to Room 206 and listens at it. If he hears nothing, he tries the door.

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:12 am
by Laraqua
Show,your dramatic success no longer paves your way so please re-roll Listen next time. This time there's nothing to hear so you won't hear anything either way.
Hearing nothing, Murray opens the door and sees a revolting sight. The elevator doors have been wrenched open and the elevator itself seems decorated in hunks of pink meat as though it were somehow growing flesh in a manner that is reminiscent of some sort of bizarre bodily orifice. Even as he watches it seems to move slightly in a nauseatingly pulsating manner. There's no sign of the elevator within just the shaft that goes up and down.

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,The elevator is in Room 206? :?

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:22 am
by Laraqua
Show,sort of. I confused myself because the two rooms are actually connected but I described it as though you entered it through the other door.
Room 206 has been gutted so that the ceiling panels and wooden partitions of the walls had been torn out to reveal wiring and aluminium ducting that hangs loosely around a plaster-dusted floor. The wall separating this room from the elevator room has been entirely ripped loose as though a partial demolition were in progress and the wall is mostly gone barring a few wooden support struts still in place. There is some sort of plush anthropomorphic horse sitting in the corner of the room and covered in plaster dust.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray picks up the stuffed horse and wipes off the plaster dust. Must be another of Katie's teddies. This menagerie is getting to big to carry around with me everywhere, but I know Katie's in the ICU. I'll just leave them there. He tiptoes back along the hall towards the door to the ICU, keeping an eye out for any other doors he hasn't checked yet, particularly any that might lead to a storage closet. That's where he'd be most likely to find something to pry open the ICU door.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:11 am
by Laraqua
There doesn't seem to be anything here but perhaps on the other side through the Nurse's Station there might be something. The corridor itself is dark and still. It seems so strange to be carrying the two teddies in such a strange and desolate place.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray sets the bunny and the horse down beside the walls to either side of the ICU door. Okay, you two stand guard here, he thinks. Then he creeps over to the door to the Nurse's Station, figuring that whatever's in there probably won't be as bad as the thing that broke into Room 205. With his revolver in one hand, he tries the door and, if it isn't locked, opens it a crack to peek inside.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:12 am
by Laraqua
A nurse stands in the nurse's station, facing away. Her uniform includes red, sensible (water-stained) white shoes, her hair blonde with a little white cap on the top. She staggers a few steps forward, bumping into the counter. There's something on the back of her neck, half-hidden beneath the folds of her red uniform.

It doesn't seem to be moving.

"Help me ... the children lost their ... need to find their ... give it back and they'll give me ... must be the right ones ... if it's wrong ... if it's wrong ..."

The fleshy growth twitches and she straightens and stares silently at the computer and an aura of menace seems to cloak the entire room.

It twitches again.

"...heeeeeelp meeeeee..."

The thing on the back of her neck twitches, as do her finger tips, and she slowly, painfully, shuffles around, her expression twisting into one of purest hatred.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray quietly closes the door again. Better not mess with her, at least not yet, he thinks. She must be looking for the teddies too, but I might not have found all of them yet. Do I need to give the right ones to the right kids? How am I supposed to know who gets what? Maybe there'll be some clues in the ICU. In the meantime, I need to check the other rooms carefully. He tiptoes down the hall back the way he had come, towards the hospital rooms. When he gets to 204, he puts his ear to the door.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:32 am
by Laraqua
The hall itself is walled off with a locked door in the middle. The only way through is to enter the nurse's station which has a door on either end of the corridor. Alternatively, he could always go down the elevator shaft and come up the stairs on the other side.
Show,feel free to google the 2nd floor Alchemilla Hospital Map if you'd like to wrap your head around the location.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray tries to pick the lock on the door at the end of the corridor, but the lock proves too tough. Well, I'm not climbing down that shaft, he thinks. I'll take my chances with that nurse. Maybe the teddies will mollify her. He picks up Robbie under his left arm and the horse under his right. With his revolver in his right hand, he quietly opens the door to the Nurse's Station with his left and slips inside.

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:04 am
by Laraqua
She faces away from him now as he enters the room, head tilted down toward one of the computers, blood dripping from mauled eyes onto the keyboard before her. There is a straight path behind her that would lead to the other door if he managed to move through quietly. A task made more difficult by the paper records that litter the floor (-10 Stealth).

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray creeps across the room towards the other door, but the papers crinkle underfoot.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:11 am
by Laraqua
The woman swings around, a scalpel glinting in the light between them. It's still possible to get out without confronting her with a quick Dodge and door opening technique (Dex x 5).

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray twists to avoid the scalpel, but he's a bit too slow. He races for the door and fumbles with the doorknob. Dammit, he thinks, I always knew a dame would be the death of me.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:51 am
by Laraqua
The nurse screeches at him with a sound filled with misery and anguish and the scalpel embeds over his shoulder into the door before being jerked loose, causing the nurse to stumble slightly. He has another chance to get out the door, or failing that dodge out of the way, or he could always shoot this brutalised but violent woman. The option is there. The option to shoot is always there.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray lets his breath out with great relief and finally wrenches the door open, unable to bring himself to shoot the poor woman. He hastily backs out through the doorway. "Sorry, Miss, gotta go," he says, tipping his hat and slamming the door shut from the other side.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:34 am
by Laraqua
She twitches away before rushing forward but he slams the door shut in time. The handle twists but its easy enough to hold the door closed and soon her attempts to open the door give way to her weeping as she batters against the wood. Slowly, there's the sound of her sliding down the door to the floor and the sounds of battering give way to quiet crying.

Now Murray's in the other half of the hospital. The toilets are near him. As are more wards and a staircase.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

The first thing Murray does is head for the door connecting this hallway with the section of hallway he had been in earlier, so that he can check if it's possible to unlock the connecting door from this side.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:41 am
by Laraqua
There is a large padlock and some chains on this side of the door that somehow seem to keep the door locked. The logic behind this is a mystery but then much of this place is without logic.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray tries to pick the lock, but it proves beyond his abilities. He shrugs. Looks like I'm stuck on this side for now, he thinks. He turns around and listen's carefully at the door to the men's room.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:13 am
by Laraqua
Water can be heard dripping in the men's room.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray tries to crack open the door to the men's room slightly and peek inside.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:47 am
by Laraqua
The men's room seems empty although Murray can't check inside the stalls from here. There's a musty smell to the air like an old and dusty book store that seems quite out of place in a men's toilets. Simply peering inside, though, reminds him of the many sordid encounters that have occurred in toilets. He has had to take photographs of cheating spouses in nightclub toilets, noticed drug dealers making deals in toilets, and dealt with the aftermath of violent assaults in toilets where the victim has wanted revenge but failed to get the police interested. Its not just physical waste that ends up in public toilets but spiritual waste as well. The dripping seems to be coming from one of the taps.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray quietly enters the room, especially alert to his surroundings. He makes his way to the stalls to check each one in turn.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:13 am
by Laraqua
The mirror itself reflects a rather sorry looking version of himself. He looks unkempt and obviously in need of sleep. Seeing himself makes him realise that the closest thing he's had to sleep for awhile was a brief period of unconsciousness following an apparent car accident. Perhaps he was still asleep, or delirious and concussed, but if that were the case why would he be so exhausted? Seeing his reflection also reminds Murray how long it's been since he'd eaten and his stomach growls uncomfortably. It probably wouldn't be wise to eat here let alone drink here. Hopefully he could find Ash soon.

Of course, nature did need to call.

Those cubicles might be worth more than simply places to search for the dolls. The second and third cubicles are obviously vacant. Its only the first cubicle door that is locked and Engaged.

He tries to open the first door. Engaged. He hears a young woman's giggle followed by some rather seedy sounds from a man. Then there's a gasp of fear and pain followed by a high-pitched screech cut off by the sound of flesh tearing and someone gurgling audibly along the other side.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

A sudden burst of adrenalin overcomes Murray's exhaustion, and he tries to force open the stall door with his gun ready in his hand. He knows he acts to act quickly to save whoever's in the stall. It may already be too late, but he has to try.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray's determination lends him the needed might, and the door flies open with a resounding thud.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:55 am
by Laraqua
The door slams open to reveal a figure resembling two intertwined figures wrapped in a black oily skin that undulated like a worm even as it twitched and twisted toward him. The creature had one set of legs, thick and stocky, and seemed almost cojoined at the waist with a more feminine form whose arms, and it had four of those, wrapped around the main most masculine shape like thick ropes that were also a part of the bigger half's body. The head, twisted and misshappen, more a veiny bulge that twitched and throbbed from the smaller and feminine branch of the body, split into a dribbling and fanged vertical mouth whose very redness glistens against the oily black body. The head stretches out on an elastic neck towards him, split mouth gaping.
Show,Murray can fire off one round before he is attacked as it has the Initiative but he has a firearm.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray instinctively fires, striking the creature and doing a good amount of damage.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:44 am
by Laraqua
The mouth strikes forward but twists aside from the last moment due to the sound or the bullet, who can say? The bullet leaves a gaping red gash across the side of its mangled oily head from which more jagged bony protrusions - like teeth or broken ribs - begin to jut out. The head strikes forward but it is off-kilter from the shot and its jagged teeth merely slice across Murray's shoulder causing the arm to go somewhat numb.
Show,your shot. Also there is no poison simply a sensation so don't worry about making a resistance roll. Murray might certainly worry about poison, however.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray staggers back and shoots it again, once more wounding it badly.
OOC,Does the creature hit automatically? I didn't see a to-hit roll. Also, my gun gets two shots per round, so do I now take my first shot of the second round (if it isn't defeated)?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:24 am
by Laraqua
Show,there was a to hit roll but I must not have pasted it. invisiblecastle did act a bit strangely at that time. And yes, you get another roll. If you deal 3 more damage it's dead and you must roll SAN 1/1d4 for seeing this thing.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray puts another bullet into the thing. It doesn't strike home as hard, but it's enough to take down the weakened monster. It collapses in a pool of its own disgusting fluids.

Murray shudders a little and turns away when he's sure the creature is dead, though it's still visible in the grimy mirror. Damn, I look like hell, he thinks, regarding his bedraggled reflection. He slips his arm and wounded shoulder out of the trenchcoat and tears off part of sleeve, which he uses as a bandage to stop the bleeding and patch himself up as much as possible. Then he slips the coat back over his arm. Well, I'm not quivering in a heap or foaming at the mouth, so I don't think it's poisoned. Feels a little numb, but I think that's starting to wear off now. He opens up the revolver, takes three bullets from his dwindling supply, and reloads it. I better not get into too many more scrapes like that one. I don't have that many bullets left. Even if I find more, my luck's bound to run out sooner or later. I also need water and food, but I doubt I can trust whatever comes out of these sinks. I haven't taken a leak in ages, but at least I can take care of that now. He chooses the stall furthest from the one occupied by the dead abomination.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:37 am
by Laraqua
The creature collapses to slowly ooze into the cracks, revealing a Dawn the Duck stuffed toy sitting on the closet toilet lid. Scrawled on the right wall are the words WAS HERE GONE NOW written in thick black marker. Murray uses another one of the cubicles to relieve himself and feels much better with that need sorted. Another encounter like that would have probably led to him peeing himself if he didn't keep an empty bladder.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray zips back up when he's done and then collects the stuffed duck, cleaning it off. Well, at least this wasn't a complete waste, he thinks. Kind of like a carnival game. Shoot the monster, win a prize. Of course, at a carnival the monster wouldn't bite you. He examines the water dripping from the sink and tries to judge whether or not it might be safe. I'm thirsty, but I'm not entirely sure about this stuff. Getting hungry too. At this point I'd even eat dog food. Hey, dogs seem to like it. It can't be that bad.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:24 am
by Laraqua
The water looks a bit rusty.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Better not chance it, thinks Murray. I'll stick to the bottled stuff in this place. He leaves the bathroom and places the three stuffed animals he's collected just outside the padlocked door. Sorry, guys, but I can't lug all of you around at the same time. Once I find a crowbar or something, I can pry the padlock off and then use it to get the ICU door open. He then goes over to the women's restroom and puts his ear to the door.

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:03 am
by Laraqua
The room sounds empty.

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray gently opens the door slightly and peeks inside, his gun in one hand.

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:23 pm
by Laraqua
This room is much like the last one but with no urinals available. Scrawled across the cracked mirror in red lipstick are the words: Get A Good Look?

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

Not really, thinks Murray, verifying that the stalls are empty and there's nothing else unusual there before backing out of the room. Who's going around this place writing all this stuff, anyway? He approaches the door to Room 201, the first of the four hospital rooms down the hall, and listens at the door.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:37 am
by Laraqua
There is a slight clacking that can be heard. It seems oddly repetitive.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Better hold off on that one, thinks Murray. He proceeds quietly down the hall to Room 202 and listens intently.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:00 am
by Laraqua
There's the sound of waves lapping against the shore and wind blowing across the sands with the odd sea gull crying in the background.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Huh, thinks Murray. Maybe there's a TV on in there...or it could be the phonograph on that creature. I'll come back to this one. He proceeds to the door to Room 203 and puts his ear to it.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:32 am
by Laraqua
Silence.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray quietly opens the door a little and looks inside.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:02 am
by Laraqua
An empty ward with pockmarked walls and rusted gurneys confront him.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray opens the door fully and gives the room a once over to make sure he isn't missing anything in there before proceeding to the door to Room 204 and listening.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:46 am
by Laraqua
The last ward in this corridor has no door - just a gaping hole with damaged floorboards through which he can see gaps into the ground floor below.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray looks the room over to ensure that there's nothing in it, then backtracks to room 202 and quietly tries the door to look inside.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:33 am
by Laraqua
The door opens smoothly to reveal a room bathed in the soft, warm glow of television static. Presumably the relaxing music is coming from there. Through what he can see through the partially open door, this room appears to be a fully set up and modern hospital ward. The only off thing about it is a rust coloured stain on the sheets. There may be more to the room but he'll have to open it wide and head inside to be sure.
Show,judging from your cautious checking I figured you can open the doors slowly and cautiously like in Downpour.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray opens the door the rest of the way and steps into the room, looking around.
OOC,I haven't played Downpour, but that's pretty much what I've been trying to do.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:05 am
by Laraqua
He can hear labored breathing coming from around the room - it isn't centred on any one place but instead seems to emanate from the room itself. The room seems otherwise deserted other than a strange lump beneath the hospital blanket. As he approaches it, it twists and moves, crawling towards the pillow before pausing and laying still once more.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

Murray cautiously approaches the bed. He holds his gun in his right hand but keeps it pointed at the ground; it could be a human under the sheets. He reaches out for the edge of the blanket with his left hand and slowly pulls it back to look underneath.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 am
by Laraqua
A well-loved and rather threadbare Huey the Horse doll lies on a bloodspattered mattress.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:17 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I believe the second one I found was a horse. I think the only one I'm missing is Kathy the Kitty.

Murray scoops up the stuffed animal, wipes it clean on the sheets, and returns to the padlocked door, where he deposits it with the other three. Then he goes back to the door to Room 201 and tries to open it a crack to peek inside.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:02 am
by Laraqua
The room is empty but for a long, metal cord that clacks against the wall occasionally.
Show,sorry about that. Yes, it is Kathy the Kitty then. You have all four.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:02 am
by Laraqua
The room is empty but for a long, metal cord that clacks against the wall occasionally and a crowbar propped up against the outer wall near a failed attempt to pry open one of the windows.
Show,sorry about that. Yes, it is Kathy the Kitty then. You have all four.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:17 am
by Mr. Handy

Perfect! thinks Murray, snatching up the crowbar in his left hand. Just what I needed, and in the last place I looked too! Of course, there's no reason to keep looking once I've found it, but I was out of places to explore without taking the stairs to another floor. Now I can get into the ICU. He retraces his steps to the padlocked door and uses the crowbar to try to pry off the lock.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:25 am
by Laraqua
It takes a bit of time but soon enough the padlock is lying broken on the floor and the door is easily opened.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Too bad I had to break the lock, thinks Murray. If I'd managed to pick it, I could have taken it with me, and it might have been useful later. Oh well. He scoops up the stuffed animals, two under each arm, and makes his way back to the ICU door. He sets the animals down and then gets to work using the crowbar to lever open the door.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:54 am
by Laraqua
Show,I'd make you roll but you're not on a time limit.
The wooden planks come away after some struggling with the crowbar, the nails slowly popping out one by one until finally Murray finds his way clear. Checking the door handle he finds it unlocked.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray holds his gun in one hand and cautiously opens the door slightly to peer inside.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:24 am
by Laraqua
The door to the ICU is somewhat dented and splintered (from the outside) and it creaks loudly on its hinges when he starts to pull it open a few inches. The beam of his flashlight stabs through the gap, revealing the edge of a bed with a wide variety of now silent machinery sitting beside it. The saline drip seems filled with something blotchy and nasty, like some aborted chicken foetus floats within the plastic bag. He can't see the rest of the room without opening the door but he can vaguely make out a shape lying beneath the sheet and the edges of a few letters carved into the wall.

Creaking the door open wider he sees, No one likes to be lonely is carved into the wall above the beds in jagged lines.

There are three beds in the I.C.U., each surrounded by machinery, one surrounded by the ward curtain that wraps around the bed on its little rusted rails. Two of the beds have child-sized mannequins dressed in pyjamas lying beneath the sheets, each with their left arm out-stretched as though hugging something, and each has a Get Well Card on the bedside cabinet. The third bed seems to have a slight glow coming from behind the curtain and he can dimly make out the silhouette of another figure standing over that bed, oh so still, as though waiting a silent vigil forever more.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray pushes the door open the rest of the way, gathers up the stuffed animals, and steps inside. He reads the Get Well cards by each bed, hoping that will give him a clue as to which animal goes with which child. Three beds, but four animals, he thinks. Hmm...

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:33 am
by Laraqua
A store mannequin of a woman dressed in smart casual business attire stands over a bed that contains another little girl mannequin that has her left arm stretched out as though around some sort of teddy or other toy. The mannequin woman seems to be clutching something in one of her hands, and her other arm is crooked as though with a space to hold something. The Get Well card beside the girl's bed is the only thing on the bedside cabinet but for three white flowers. There's no sign of what is causing that glow - it just seems like some sort of vague ambient light.

We went down to feed them every day,
And in the park you had your play,
Fed them bread on Saturday,
Chased them all along the way,
Now they're here and sweetly see your wonderful little gift from me.

The other two mannequins' cards also have poems.

A little boy whose lying on two big pillows has a card that states:

I'm so sorry you're so sick but that's okay,
I got your favourite huggy to play with today,
It's not scary like it looks,
It sits well with the cooks,
And we can go back there for more in May!

A little girl mannequin whose fake hair is in pigtails also has a card:

You've been asking for one for every Christmas,
Get better and I'll hire a home for her, little miss,
It's loyal, little miss,
And kind, little miss,
And we'll find a place to keep it, little miss!

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Well, the first one's easy enough, thinks Murray. The only one of these critters that gets fed in a park is a duck. He places the stuffed Dawn the Duck in the left arm of the girl mannequin in the first bed.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:45 am
by Laraqua
There's no response.

Perhaps by the strange logic of this town there'll be no response unless all are placed.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Hmm, thinks Murray. The second one's a bit harder. I know the third one has to be the cat, as that's the only female animal left. That leaves the rabbit and the horse. Neither of them looks particularly scary, but after you've been facing down grotesque abominations I guess you get a little bit jaded. The only one that would sit well with the cooks would be the rabbit. Cooks only use horse meat when they can't get anything good. And rabbits reproduce like...well, rabbits, so that would explain being able to go back for more. He goes over to the second bed and places Robbie the Rabbit in the boy mannequin's arm. "Here you go, kid," he says. "Somebunny loves you." Then he heads to the third bed and puts Kathy the Kitty in the pigtailed girl's left arm. "And here's one for you." He turns his attention to the woman. "And you must get the horsey, since it's the only one left." He puts Huey the Horse in her open arm.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:35 am
by Laraqua
An ear piercing scream tears through the room and the woman's skin seems to waver like a burning candle, skin bubbling and splitting to reveal bloody tear stains down her cheeks. Perhaps that was the wrong combination.... If so, he has little time to get it right. He can hear handprints beginning to beat against the wooden door although thankfully they haven't yet tried the door.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Certain that he was right about the duck and the cat, Murray snatches the horse back, runs over to the second bed, switches it out for the rabbit, then darts back and puts the rabbit in the woman's arm.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 am
by Laraqua
The melting wax continues to bubble and the ambient glow in the room slowly changes to read. He doesn't have much longer to choose the right combinations....

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm at a loss here. I was sure I had two of them placed correctly. If it's not one of the two possibilities I already tried, I'm not sure which of my assumptions was incorrect. Can I make an Idea roll to try to figure out where I'm going wrong?

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:17 am
by Laraqua
Show,sounds good.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:09 pm
by Laraqua
Show,Little Missy refers to the little girl it was gifted to and not toward the animal itself. There's a lot of stress placed on where to locate this pet.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:34 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,It was the second line: "Get better and I'll hire a home for [b]her[/b], little miss" that convinced me utterly that the animal had to be female (it would have said "you" had it been referring to the girl). Is this line supposed to say something different?

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:21 am
by Laraqua
Show,that just reveals how tenacious gendering nouns really is. I didn't intend to imply any gender one way or another. Silly me. I'll grant you an additional chance to solve the puzzle so you have two more gos rather than one to make up for it.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Thank you, though I wasted two attempts because I thought the cat had to go there.

Murray hastily rearranges the animals, leaving the duck with the child in the first bed, placing the rabbit with the second child, the horse with the third child, and the cat with the woman. A horse would need a place to keep it, he thinks. A cat doesn't take up much room.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:20 am
by Laraqua
Spoiler:
Show, you need no further attempts....
The woman ceases to melt although the melting seems to have affected her enough that her clutched hand collapses and shatters on the floor, releasing a key and a metallic vial that patters across the floor.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray picks up the key and vial and inspects them closely, looking for a label or something that would give some indication as to how they were meant to be used. Good thing that vial wasn't made of glass, he thinks. It would've broken when she dropped it.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:52 am
by Laraqua
The vial is called Aglaophitus and it seems to contain a thick, reddish substance, judging by the little glass window that luckily enough didn't break. The key is to 392 and it's markings state that it shouldn't be duplicated. Likely a post office box key.

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Whatever these are for, they must be important, thinks Murray. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been so hard to get. He slips the key and the vial into one of his trenchcoat's pockets, gathers his things, and backtracks to the prep room and the secret tunnel so that he can follow it back to the other hospital (the concept of which still makes his head hurt) and rejoin Craig. He'd been away far too long.

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:23 pm
by Laraqua
Craig is crouched down in the corner of the room, his head in his arms, muttering to himself. "...not s'posed to be like here..." rises from his muttering before it falls below hearing level again. He doesn't seem to note Murray's arrival.

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm back, Craig," says Murray quietly. "Sorry I was gone so long. I couldn't find Ash, but I did find another lead that may shed some light on what's going on."

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:18 am
by Laraqua
Craig looked up mournfully. "You found a way out?"

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not exactly, but I'm not sure why we can't just retrace our steps and leave the way we came in," says Murray. "I didn't find Ash either, but I did find a secret passage hidden behind a painting in one of the rooms. I had to solve this bizarre puzzle to do it. I know it sounds nuts, but the passage led to another copy of the hospital. I explored this floor fully in the other hospital except for a stairwell, and we could always use that to get back down to the ground floor. I also found this neat crowbar. There was another puzzle in the ICU there. I had to collect a bunch of stuffed animals scattered around the floor and distribute them to a bunch of dummies. When I did, I found a vial with reddish stuff called Aglaophitus, whatever that is, and what looks like a post office box key. Is the post office anywhere near the hospital?"

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:27 am
by Laraqua
"Yeah, just a bit further up north on Crichton Street," said Craig. He stared at Murray for a long moment. "How can you be so calm? Do you even know where you are? What this is? This is a nightmare that you can't wake up from. Why aren't you afraid?"

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray lifts his fedora and scratches his head. "I dunno, never really thought about it," he says. "Now that you mention it, I damn well oughta be scared. I know I was terrified when I encountered those monsters, but I don't feel that way when one of them isn't actually trying to eat my face or whatever it is they do at the moment. I guess...well, when I've got a mystery to solve I kind of focus on that to the exclusion of all else, and I've landed in the middle of the most mysterious place I've ever heard of. I'd known Silent Hill was a tourist trap, but I hadn't suspected that was meant literally. Still, I'm determined to get to the bottom of this place and get through it. I've never had a case that stumped me before, and I don't intend to start now. The truth is out there, it's just a matter of finding it. Just gotta keep at it until I do. I suppose another part of why I don't feel afraid is that this place seems so dreamlike, so unreal."

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:28 am
by Laraqua
"You don't die in dreams," says Craig miserably, wrapping his arms around his bust. "You seem to think you can solve it. Solve what? How to get out of here? How do you know you're not just chasing your own tail?"

He sighs and slowly stands.

"So you said there was a way out through this other hospital?"

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, there might be," said Murray. "I never did explore the stairs, but there could be a way down to ground level there. I still don't know why we can't just leave the way we came in. Did something get blocked off behind us? I don't know if I'm not chasing my own tail. Sometimes it feels like I am. But I know if I keep at something long enough, I can find a way. Do you think you can manage to carry that suitcase? If not, I'll take it in my free hand and let you carry the crowbar."

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:55 am
by Laraqua
“I’ll be fine. The suitcase won’t give me any trouble.” Craig stood up, wincing and grasping at his wound. “Maybe. Found any surgical tools or anything for me yet?”

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"As a matter of fact, I did," says Murray. "I'm not sure how sterile they are, but they're in the operating prep room at the other end of the secret passage. It's this way." He leads Craig to the tunnel he discovered.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:22 am
by Laraqua
The path to the tunnel is quiet and without any issue which is good as Craig drags his feet a little, favoring one side to prevent the muscles around his wound from pulling too much. He gazes up at the vent tunnel and winces. "I have to get up there, don't I? I don't suppose you found a chair on your travels. I ... I can't really remember if we passed any." He looks around the room. "There's no visitors chairs in here."

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't remember seeing one, now that you mention it," says Murray. "I can give you a boost up, though."
OOC,I didn't realize you had to climb up to enter the passage behind the painting. I just thought you had to duck down due to the low ceiling.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:21 am
by Laraqua
Show,it's not so much climb up as hoist yourself up. It'd start at a height level with the bottom of Murray's ribs. It wouldn't be an issue normally. It's just that Craig is in pain and was shot in the torso so hoisting himself up isn't going to be fun for him. A boost up will do the job.
Craig shies away at that. "You want me to go in first?"

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"I was just on the other end, and the room there is clear, as is the tunnel itself," says Murray, his glib tongue as effective as ever. "I took care of the nasty things on the entire floor, except for the nurse monster that can't get out of her own room and this other thing that wandered off some time ago. I'll be right behind you, and you'll be fine as long as you don't leave the room until I get there. It's far more likely that something bad will come up behind us. Do you really want to be bringing up the rear if that happens?"

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:08 am
by Laraqua
"This other thing?" asks Craig, his voice breaking. He licks his lips which are now almost entirely devoid of lipstick. "Sure, hell, all right."

Murray laces his fingers together and Craig steps up, groaning, and easily gets into the vent.

"Well, that wasn't as bad as I thought."

Craig starts crawling.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray hoists himself into the passage and follows Craig.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:39 am
by Laraqua
Nothing seems to impede their progress as they head into the room with the elevator shaft. On the plus side, the fleshy walls provide enough of a slope that they won't need to fall down.

"This place looks so different now, so much wore," said Craig. "You think ... we're just getting deeper?"

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"I dunno," says Murray with a shrug, "but I think we'd better take the stairs instead. There are the surgical tools if you want them." He points out the tools in the operation prep room.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:47 am
by Laraqua
"What? You want me to do surgery on myself?" he asked, limping after Murray as they head to the doors that break the corridor on half.

As Murray opens the door, he comes to see the back of a nurse in a red uniform whose facing away from them, a twitching grub-like thing beneath her neck somewhere over the spine. She whimpers, mewling, then slowly starts to turn.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray swiftly and quietly shuts the door again.
OOC,I didn't say I was going anywhere just yet. We could pack the surgical tools in the suitcase first. They might be useful if we can find a doctor and the means to sterilize them.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:50 am
by Laraqua
Show,sorry, when you said you pointed out the tools I took it to mean that you were vaguely pointing them out before moving onward. Happy to let you have put them in your case.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That's okay, and thanks. Do I manage to get the door closed in time?

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:02 pm
by Laraqua
Show,stealth check. You can close it in time but whether it squeaks....

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy

The door creaks loudly when Murray shuts it. That may be for the best if we can use it to misdirect the nurse, he thinks. "Quick, this way," he hisses, leading Craig to the door to the nurse's station. Since she's in the corridor, she can't be in that room. The other exit from the nurse's station would lead back to the hall on the other side of the door he had just closed.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:40 am
by Laraqua
Craig panted heavily as they quickly nipped through the door into the nurse’s station and through to the other side, pausing a moment at the second door to listen in.

OOC: Make your listen check and say how you would like to proceed to the stairs.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray looks around the nurse's station to see if anything catches his eye while he makes his way through; he hadn't had much time the last time he was here. He puts his ear to the door to the other hall, but he can't hear anything. "When I crack open this door," whispers Murray, "I'll see if the nurse is in our way or aware of us. If she is, I'll close the door again. Otherwise, we'll proceed slowly and very quietly to the stairs. Just follow me and try not to make a sound, okay?"

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:49 am
by Laraqua
Craig nods mutely, clutching at his bandaged wound.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray opens the door slightly and peeks out into the hall beyond.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:23 am
by Laraqua
Show,there's no point peeking when you have to stab a flashlight beam out into the corridor to see anything at all. You might as well open it all the way so you get a better view more quickly and can react faster.
The corridor is clear. He can hear the double doors shutting at about the same moment as he opens this one.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray beckons to Craig to follow him and slips out into the hall. "Close the door behind you," he whispers as he leads the way to the stairwell's door.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:35 am
by Laraqua
The stairwell is closed with a metal grille door that is currently locked. Hopefully Murray can make short work of it before the nurse returns.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray hands the crowbar to Craig. "Hold this," he whispers, fishing out his lockpicks. "If I can't pick the lock, we'll have to resort to that to pry open the door fast." He tinkers around with the lock and soon hears a satisfying click.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:10 am
by Laraqua
Craig clutches the crowbar for dear life and sighs when the lock clicks and Murray swings it open. The stairs smell musty like a used book store with just a hint of urine. It sure doesn't smell hygienic.

As Murray steps onto the landing, there's an eerie wail of an air raid siren that starts up its mournful cry.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not again," mutters Murray. Once he and Craig are inside the stairwell, he silently shuts and locks the door behind them, then takes the crowbar back. "The last time that siren went off, the whole hospital changed. We'd better get moving." He leads the way down the stairs.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:11 am
by Laraqua
"Changed into what?" asked Craig, following him down the steps. "Into what?!"

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"It was still the hospital," says Murray, "but it suddenly got all rusty and old, and there were monsters around. Before that it was just a normal place, except for a couple of muscleheads trying to put the squeeze on me. Those same guys were the cops who let us out of jail, but they sure weren't acting like cops when I first met them. Hey, maybe the siren means the hospital's changing back."

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:49 am
by Laraqua
Craig gives him a doubtful look. The two of them pause for a moment, realising at the same time that they keep passing landings like half-turns in stairwells but no true landings with doorways out. "I wonder what...."

There's a woman's scream above them, a mix of fear and rage, and the sound of heeled shoes striking cement.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"That'll be the nurse," hisses Murray. "Keep going, quickly, but try not to make noise." He picks up the pace as he descends the seemingly endless stairs. There's got to be a bottom somewhere, right? he thinks.

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:08 am
by Laraqua
The stairs continue to wrap around again and again and again. It is seemingly endless.

"Can't ... run ... much longer," pants Craig.

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Okay, this is just ridiculous," mutters Murray. He signals a halt and listens for signs of pursuit as he fishes a penny out of the pocket where he keeps his change. He drops it down the shaft in the middle of the stairwell to try to determine how far down it goes.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:28 am
by Laraqua
The coin falls down and Craig peers over the railing to look for it, moments before it cracks down on his head and slides off, spinning on its way down before striking the linoleum with a firm crack.

Murray can hear the footsteps of the woman jerkily moving back and up the steps with an exhaled and quiet "Nooooo...."

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"You okay?" he asks quietly. "Sounds like she's given up. I think we broke it...or fixed it. Whatever. Let's see if we can get out of here now."
OOC,Did the penny slip off onto the landing, or did it fall to the bottom of the shaft after bouncing off his head?

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:02 am
by Laraqua
It slipped onto the linoleum floor and can be seen when you peer over the railing.

"Okay as I'll ever be here," muttered Craig. "Let's just get out of here."

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray nods and helps Craig down the stairs, taking it slowly and trying not to make noise.

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:27 am
by Laraqua
Everything is silent and still. It's as though the entire hospital is paused on the cusp of something terrible. They make their way slowly down the steps, their breathing noisy in the confined silence to their strained ears, though surely it couldn't be heard beyond their little shared position. They make it down onto the ground floor. Everything is in such a state of disrepair. Everything seems somehow off. As though everything has been leading to this. But what, precisely will this be?

"I don't like this," mutters Craig. The hairs on the nape of his neck and arms are standing on end. There's a strange static cling quality to the air.

There is something coming. Someplace they will go.

And there is something waiting for them there.

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray bends down and scoops up the penny. "I'm keeping this one," he says. "It's lucky." He doesn't put it back in the pocket that holds all of his other change, as then it would just get mixed in and he'd never be able to tell it from them. Instead, he puts it in a different pocket. I'm not usually superstitous, he thinks. Then again, I'm not usually trapped in some other world or dimension or whatever it is filled with horrible monsters and fog and stuff. He approaches the door leading out of the stairwell and puts his ear to it.

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:09 am
by Laraqua
A tense silence can be heard beyond.

There is, however, a faint vibration that seems to be coming up through the floor from the basement below.

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

Murray tries the door and, if it opens, peeks through to the other side.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:27 am
by Laraqua
The door opens easily into the darkened gloom of a graffitti marked hallway. Some of the words catch his eye. They remind him so much of some of the lines that he fed desperate parents, betrayed spouses, and eager employers throughout the years though perhaps that was all by accident. Perhaps it meant nothing. The hallway stretches in both directions, longer than he expected, as though somehow dilated and expanded. There is no one out here, though. No one but himself.

can't find her Too dark to see What do you mean? it doesn't look good, but I can't prove that he 555 610 4342 doesn't want to be found She was in his bed. IN his bed. didn't see anything else I wanted to find something so I went inside bought a bag in an alley from a not sure what was inside I'm not sure what you mean I'm meant to be here I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this I'm sorry sorry sorry

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy

Almost unconsciously, Murray takes out his phone and dials the number. Maybe the message is meant for him specifically. It doesn't make much sense, but nothing in this place does. Whether it's directed to him or not, though, he feels like he has to know who is on the other end of that phone number.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:11 am
by Laraqua
On the third ring, the phone picks up and there's a long and crackling silence before a little girl's voice ask: "Mommy? Is that you? Mommy? .... can't wait any longer."

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry, I'm not your mommy," says Murray, "but maybe I can help you find her. My name is Murray, and I'm a private eye.' He thinks back to the other mysterious phone call he had when he dialed a number he'd found in this hospital. "Are you Katie?"

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:39 am
by Laraqua
"No, I don't think so, but I'm cold and I'm tired and I don't know where I am," she said grumpily. "Who're you anyway? You called me!"

A male voice calls out in the background although it's a little hard to hear what he says.

She gasps. "I gotta go!" She drops the phone but doesn't hang up.

OOC: Roll Listen. By the way, how do I do spoiler buttons again? I've forgotten.

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray hears something.
OOC,I put step by step instructions in [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?p=68577#p68577]this post[/url].

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:29 pm
by Laraqua
A man's voice can be heard quietly in the background: "Hello ... who are you? ... *clatter of the phone dropping* ... Hey it's all right, I'm not gonna hurt you. I just need some help." The voice approaches the phone.

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Hello?" says Murray. "Who's there?"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:51 am
by Laraqua
Simultaneously he hears, "Hold please," in a sarcastic voice. Then the sound of the phone being placed on the counter.

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm on hold," Murray says to Craig. "No reason we can't keep walking." He leads the way down the hallway, looking for the exit.

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:58 am
by Laraqua
"On hold?" whispers Craig, seemingly apalled by the concept. "How? To whom?" He shakes his head and mutters to himself. "Even in this hellhole, waiting times, put on hold ... even in Hell ... makes sense."

A right turn reveals the short corridor, now draped in shadows that seem to skitter back from the light, which ends in the reception room that Murray entered beforehand. There's a gurney at a right angle just past where the corridor opens up into the room, one end visible around the corner, a foot and part of a woman's calf muscle visible beneath the blanket. Blood trickles down from a gash in that calf muscle, dropping with an eerie drip-drip-drip sound.

Murray is not yet close enough to see inside the rest of the room though from this angle he can make out the 'Exit' light in red hung above the doors out of here.

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:29 pm
by Laraqua
A gruff voice starts up over the telephone, "Hello? Who the hell is this girl, and who are you?"

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray pauses in the hallway so he can focus on the conversation. "The name's Murray Archer," he says. "I don't know who the girl is, sorry. I'm not even sure if she knows who she is. Who are you?"

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:24 am
by Laraqua
"I'm Cole, I'm a tourist in the city. How do you know this girl?" says the voice from the phone. He then sounds further away, "Hey Mandy, do you live here?"

Craig grabs Murray's arm. "Let's wait here while you talk. Walking along without paying attention sounds a sure way to die."

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray nods, having already stopped walking. "I don't know the girl," he says. "I didn't even know her name until you just said it. I happened across this number and thought it might be an important clue, so I called it."

Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:45 am
by Laraqua
The man speaks on the other hand: "So what are you doing here? You haven't seen a girl named Mary have you?"His voice drops to a whisper. "Who are you, what the fuck do you mean 'clue'?"

Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"I haven't seen a little girl named Mary," says Murray, "but if you describe her, I'll keep an eye out for her. I'm a private detective. I came to Silent Hill to find a missing person, only it seems that more than a few people have gone missing here."

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:42 pm
by Laraqua
"Well, I don't know if your aware but this town is pretty fucked up. In light of that, your looking for either a 6, or around 18 year old girl, with chestnut hair, pale skin and brown eyes. Oh, also she afraid of mirrors now or some shit." says the angry voice over the phone. "Hey girlie, can you let go of me so we can get going?"

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"She's either six or eighteen?" says Murray, rolling his eyes. "Well, I guess that makes as much sense as anything else in this crazy place. I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I find her or any leads to her whereabouts. You haven't met or heard anything about a woman named Ash, have you? Her full name is Cara Ashby."

Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:25 am
by Laraqua
There's a flash of static over the phone to greet his words, the other man's voice cutting in and out. "...make it worth ... I'm ... to the carnival after ... done ... this building, so try ....." Then there's a click at the other end.

"Who was that?" asks Craig.

Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Some guy named Cole," says Murray, putting his phone away. "He's looking for a girl named Mary, and he said he'll be heading to the carnival next after he's done with whatever building he's in now. Maybe we should head over there after we check out the post office and find out what that key I found opens." With his gun ready, he advances stealthily down the corridor towards the reception room.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:45 am
by Laraqua
The reception room is much as he left it though there are a few small differences. The doors have been replaced with large steel ones, dented, as though some force had struck the doors from the other side several times. There is a slight gap between the thick steel doors, through which can only be seen blackness, though a torchlight could probe it if someone were close enough to put their eye to the gap. The floor itself has lost its linoleum in favor of rusted chain link squares over an abyss that emanates with heat.

"The floor hardly looks safe," murmurs Craig.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hmm," says Murray, hesitating. "Maybe we should look for another way out. There's gotta be another exit from this place. Fire codes require it. Of course, this room up ahead is one big fire code violation."

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:32 pm
by Laraqua
"You think the back door will be any better?" asked Craig.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, good point," concedes Murray. "Okay, I'll go first. If the floor gives way and I go screaming to my death, well, you'll just have to find another way out. If I make it to the door, I'll try to get a look at what's outside before waving you over." He ventures out cautiously onto the chain link floor and makes his way to the exit.

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:45 am
by Laraqua
The rusted grille creaks ominously underfoot, loosing little showers of rust like tiny puffs beneath his feet. The air is warm here. So much warmer than elsewhere. It's as though he were creeping over hell itself. Somehow it smelled like cheap perfume and stale cigar smoke. The scent was so incongruous in this place but then, what did make sense here? He reaches the doors and sees that he would need to crouch down or bend over to peer through the gap in the doors with his flashlight held beneath his chin or over his head to see into the darkness. There might be some clue as to whatever did this.

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray crouches low, taking the flashlight off of his pocket and holding it overhead, shining it through the gap.

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:25 am
by Laraqua
There's something out there. Some rusted metal swinging back and forth, back and forth, like a sharpened pendulum. There's no sign of a vehicle or any creature through there. No sign of what dented the doors. Then, as he squints, he sees a flash of charred flesh rushing towards the gap. Murray jerks back as something sharp darts through the gap, only a few inches long, oddly penile and disturbing. The jerking motion of his body leads to a creaking from the rusted grille and as he drops a hand to the grille to steady himself, the metal grilles give way, plunging him into darkness.

(OOC: As you probably guessed, the room was too wide for your character to have any chance of jumping back. Good thing he pre-warned Craig, eh? See you in the next chapter.)