OOC Chit-Chat

A resort town in cheery America is a major holiday destination that sits upon the shores of the beautiful Lake Toluca. It's a fun and fantastic location with plenty to see and do whether as one of our many wonderful tourists or as brand new residents. Catch a film or theatrical production at Artaud Theatre then retire to Annie's Bar for drinks with friends. Check out the Lakeside Amusement Park and see the historical Lighthouse that is still in operation certain days of the year. Spend a romantic evening on the Observation Deck or an evening at Pete's Bowl-o-Rama. Or take a stroll through Rosewater Park.
There's lots to see and do and that's not even mentioning White Claudia, The Order, skinned dogs, alien geometries that occasionally warp the town, nor the psychologically-induced misery and torments that spring fully formed into existence while walking the merry streets.
Welcome!

Moderator: Laraqua

Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Re: OOC Chit-Chat

Post by Garrett »

Not unless you give him a reason to.
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Kadael »

That laptop's obviously been cursed by its previous owner.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Your sheet says your computer use is 41.
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Nah, Lily's Computer Use is 41. If I were a CoC character, though, I'd have about 12.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Oh, I get it. :lol:
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

I would return to my previous chapter, except it's locked :p.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

Yay, Cole and Lily are making friends!
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Oh, are they friends like Murray and Jack are friends? :D
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

By the way, I thought I'd just point out that it is possible to get the 'Bad Ending' in this game and that isn't a bad thing. Not every person would make it out of Silent Hill alive and intact. Just roleplay your character naturally and see which prize you get. Every character has the potential to get through to one of several endings (generally four) towards which the story weaves. You can change a lot as you move through, come to greater or lesser understandings, but your final confrontations are largely thought up earlier based on the major issue your character faces.

There are a number of factors that determine your ending but one of the big ones is overcoming your personal weaknesses. Silent Hill doesn't gently coax you into doing this or help you come to terms with your issues with anything more gentle than a sledgehammer to the face. Silent Hill is more about surviving and overcoming your weakness lest you die. It puts you through a number of crucibles and each decision you make will tilt you down one path or another. If it exemplifies your issues or weaknesses, it tilts you towards one of the bad endings.

To use Cecilia as an example, her inattention led to her daughter drowning on vacation in Silent Hill while she was busy with work. She couldn't remember anything after her arrival in Silent Hill. While she desperately needed to get her daughter back, got distracted midway through on a puzzle involving mascots and a hospital ward (to be fair, it was one hell of a distraction!), her efforts were unfocused and she was willing to pass responsibility for rescue operations to a man she hardly knew (Jack) even when Jack tried to force her to be less passive. She even took a nap rather than go looking for her. However, she did get down in the muck to see if her daughter was in the toilet, kept the kitten alive and on her person throughout it, and was relatively brave in certain points.

Due to her actions, I decided that although she were distracted while her daughter drowned, she wasn't such an inattentive mother that her daughter had been in the water long and therefore her daughter was revived and fell into a coma. This means that the girl is now trapped in Silent Hill rather than a mere memory of her mother and therefore means that though her mother committed suicide by walking into the lake (a bad ending), the daughter still has a chance to get out alive. A bittersweet ending indeed. If Cecilia had been flirty with the handsome bartender while her daughter was missing, lost or discarded the kitten, didn't attempt the puzzle, etc. then it would have indicated that she hadn't loved / paid enough attention to her daughter and thus her child would have died.

Again, bad endings aren't wrong endings. Silent Hill isn't a game you play to win -- it's a game you play to experience the psychological traumas of a strange and alien world and to see if this particular character can rise above their issues and make it out -- or not.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Hey Kadael, to be honest between those two mules you'd have to stomp your foot to draw attention anyhow although I'm more than happy to give you space to do that. If Lily would've said something in the middle, feel free to post it and then her mounting frustration as neither of them listens to her and are too intent on each other until you reach the spot where you're currently talking. ;) We'll make a point to pause for breath so you can get a shot in from now on. You can just make a breather post when Lily has nothing to say.

i.e. "Lily stares the two, dumbfounded."

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

I got a bit panicked, sorry. I'm not really sure Lily could say anything if she tried at this point. ;) Rambly monologues are just kind of a thing I do all the time. I realize you don't do that in a tabletop environment, though, so I can shut up.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

It's all good. I like your rambly monologues and am happy to pause to hear them.

I almost don't want to split Cole from Lily ... oh well. I'm sure they'll rejoin eventually.

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Lily hates being left out....

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

She's just mad because she wishes they'd met under better circumstances.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Who here thinks Ash will get a hug when all is said and done?

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Honestly I'm on the fence on weather I should have Cole charge her right now, but he wasn't blowing off steam in the post about breaking every bone in her body the second she gave him the password.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Only if that hug is a cold embrace of death.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Nope, no bone breaking hugs for Ash. Cole has chosen his sister over petty vengeance.

Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

allow me to speak for Lily

Lolwut
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Accurate.

Return to “Welcome to Silent Hill.”