Recap, August 2013

"Get me that writing desk", the client said. It seemed like a simple job. Now ghosts are crawling out of your drink, murderers are after your stock, mad Scottish Spaniards (or is that Spanish Scotsmen?) are selling people's legs by the pound, and the Mob reckons you owe them a prize racehorse. If you survive, make sure your commission's intact, 'cos the only thing falling faster than your sanity is your financial prospects...

[This game may accept new players]

Moderators: Taavi, Grafster

Taavi
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Recap, August 2013

Post by Taavi »

A thread for picking up the thread.

Welcome back everybody.

To start with, I have been rereading the ToC rules, and note that people are supposed to get 2 build points as XP, per session. The most appropriate way to translate that seems to me to be 2 points per in-game day. So, everyone gets 4 build points to buff up your characters as a welcome back present.

The original goal of the group: Buy the Irving writing desk and other memorabilia from an auction at Christies on Tuesday (IC day 5) in exchange for a large sum from Contessa Christiana di Napoli, expatriate Italian countess.

To recap where everyone is:
Llewellyn is on his way to the Savoy to find a "lucky" punter.
The Rev. Poole and Harwood are at the British Museum & Library Reading room, reading up on soul-bottling and other esoterica.
Mr Grant, Luke, Jory, Long John Copper, and Harwood (a bit of time slippage) are at the Bookshop, endeavouring to plot the mystic wanderings of the mysterious Don Alessandro Glencoe de Unamundo on a map.

Notable achievements so far include:
Through patient legwork, a Dr P. Caslett of King's College Hospital has been identified as the likely previous owner of the wooden Cor book, and hence the murderer of Wellington the book scout.
A certain amount of insight into why various parties (Don Alessandro, the Contessa, others of less well established identity) are interested in the memorabilia of Washington Irving.
Knowledge of the debauched practices of the Sette of Odd Volumes, a bibliographic society who apparently use the services of Dr Caslett and the Cor family to bottle the spirits of their favourite authors and occasionally raise them from the dead in hapless possessees (e.g. Long John Copper).
Henry Rickmansworth, gambler and meddler with either occult forces or horse feed, has been tracked as far as the Savoy.

Notable dangers and challenges include:
Mr Sabini, who was done out of a lot of money by Henry Rickmansworth, wants the book Henry allegedly used to fix the race (An Investigation into the Oracle of Sidon)
There is apparently a Ring of prominent book dealers planning on Knocking the Irving manuscript and other items from the American auction.
Dr Caslett has sent catalogue agent Aston Drummell to buy the wooden Cor book back, indicating that he knows or suspects that Grant's has it.
Something horrible in the attic of a pub in Seven Dials, apparently frequented by Don Alessandro.

Everybody feel free to chime in with other points of interest, summaries, etc. I think it would be useful for you all to have a thread where key points are recorded.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Recap, August 2013

Post by andyw666 »

OOC:

What ho, chaps!

Penhaligon appears with chai and Times, ready for duty!
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: Recap, August 2013

Post by Tabs »

"If only I can be rid of this Stevenson fella?" thinks Long John Copper. He reaches into his jacket pocket and two of his grimy fingers poke out through a forgotten hole: "Shit! me matches."

[ooc: 2 pts. The Knowledge and 2 pts. Shadowing]

Return to “Grant's Military Bookshop (A Bookhounds of London Game)”