(GMB) OOC

"Get me that writing desk", the client said. It seemed like a simple job. Now ghosts are crawling out of your drink, murderers are after your stock, mad Scottish Spaniards (or is that Spanish Scotsmen?) are selling people's legs by the pound, and the Mob reckons you owe them a prize racehorse. If you survive, make sure your commission's intact, 'cos the only thing falling faster than your sanity is your financial prospects...

[This game may accept new players]

Moderators: Taavi, Grafster

Taavi
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Re: (GMB) OOC

Post by Taavi »

andyw666 wrote:Taavi: Does Jory think the Brit Library would be the best place to do some trawling through newspaper back issues? Or is there a better option?

(Now that Jory has rediscovered his long forgotten University skills, he's keen to start spending those Lib Use pts!)
Um. I hesitate to be a blocker, but in those pre-google days, finding information (if any) on anyone without a significant public profile (i.e. not in Who's Who) by trawling through newspaper back issues might take a very long time I suspect. What sort of information are you looking for?
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

I had in mind major scandal involving the doctor or the hospital. Am not wedded to the idea, Jory is just keen to dig up intel on the enemy.

Is there another good source of doctorly scandal I wonder? Medical Board?
Taavi
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Taavi »

I think you could indeed find information on major scandal etc from the newspaper morgues or the British Library as they do index stories to some extent.
the British Medical Association or the General Medical Council are the bodies which represent and regulate doctors. They would certainly be a potential source of gossip and scandal, but you'd need an "in" to get them to talk. Maybe a squiz for a bibliophile doctor?
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Taavi wrote:I think you could indeed find information on major scandal etc from the newspaper morgues or the British Library as they do index stories to some extent.
the British Medical Association or the General Medical Council are the bodies which represent and regulate doctors. They would certainly be a potential source of gossip and scandal, but you'd need an "in" to get them to talk. Maybe a squiz for a bibliophile doctor?
I think Jory will continue on to the British Library to look for newspaper stories of major scandal. Am not sure at this stage how useful it would be to go the medical board route, given our aims. Can always do that later.

Library first, where Jory's colleagues are already hard at work I believe.
Taavi
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Taavi »

Joijn the library thread anytime.
Taavi
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Taavi »

Terribly sorry for my absence over the last week. Sudden outbreak of real life, lingering spots, responding well to treatment.
Taavi
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Taavi »

Hi everybody,
I'm very sorry for this long and unscheduled absence. I work in the Australian public service - as some of you might know, we have just had a change of government and this has meant a lot of extra work. I've been dealing with some mental health issues too. All of which has left me a bit burned out in the evenings. Pressure is easing off now, I really want to tell this story, and am going to get back to it!
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

No problem Taavi - hope things settle down sooner rather than later for you, both on the work front, but especially on the other issues as well. We are all waiting for your return - though there is no rush - get yourself sorted first; that HAS to be the priority!
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Absolutely. I echo Cearlans words.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Bookman
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Bookman »

Completely, sort yourself first, we'll wait. Salivating. Twisting our selves into strange shapes whilst we consider what happens next. ;)
Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam; e luce ad tenebras.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Hi Mate,

No panic and no rush! We will wait.

When I was dealing with disasters last Christmas, I was amazed by how little energy I had left for anything not completely urgent that second. I couldn't find the strength to play Words With Friends let alone Cthulhu.

Thinking positive thoughts your way!

Andy
Taavi
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Taavi »

Hi all,

Thanks for what (I hope) has been your patience. I am now attempting to climb back into the saddle.

A quick roundup of Bookhounds relevant news:

Cubicle 7 is doing a Cthulhu Brittanica: London Kickstarter, finishing in 6 days.

Naples is hit by an astonishingly large and lucrative theft of ancient books and Public Domain Review covers the history of lost and fictitious libraries.

And finally WinstonP, known to you as Reverend Poole, has published Issue 1 of the Arkham Gazette. Huzzah!
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Merry Christmas to all. If not of a Christian outlook, then have a great time over the festive period and go easy at New Year - don't want no mishaps now. Either way I hope that Santa is good and that 2014 brings you whatever it is you want most.

I will probably be taking a break from playing over the Christmas period due to family commitments, but may post if I manage to get the time.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Bookman
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Bookman »

Sorry all, I made the terrible error of attempting to move house and leave a job just before Christmass because apparently I am a sucker for punishment...I am now back at a place with internet and with time to spend so I am back again.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

welcome back Bookman
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Taavi
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Taavi »

Happy New Year everyone! Tomorrow I resume work so look forward to wasting my employer's time on Grant's once again (you know the soviet joke, they pretend to pay me...)
Bookman
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Bookman »

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/198876/ ... e-in-1927/

A fascinating look at the London streets just before our period. The music is a touch annoying so worth watching without...
Taavi
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Taavi »

Hi all,

The family and I are taking a 2 week camping holiday starting in a couple of days - so I will probably be off air until early February. See (read?) you all then.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

Sorry, guys, but I'm going to have to drop out. My situation has changed so I need to cut down on things.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Taavi
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Taavi »

Thanks for letting us know Laraqua.

When I get back from holidays I will put up a call for anyone interested in stepping into Grant's shoes.

Return to “Grant's Military Bookshop (A Bookhounds of London Game)”