(GMB) OOC

"Get me that writing desk", the client said. It seemed like a simple job. Now ghosts are crawling out of your drink, murderers are after your stock, mad Scottish Spaniards (or is that Spanish Scotsmen?) are selling people's legs by the pound, and the Mob reckons you owe them a prize racehorse. If you survive, make sure your commission's intact, 'cos the only thing falling faster than your sanity is your financial prospects...

[This game may accept new players]

Moderators: Taavi, Grafster

andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Re: (GMB) OOC

Post by andyw666 »

Welcome Tabs! I am (or at least Jory is) already a fan of Long John + Parrot.

And welcome Cearlan! Am I right that you played the slatternly Pearl to my obnoxious and biggoted Calum in the late lamented Haunting (Redux) game on this forum?

Andy
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Addendum: Oh no! Our first genuine casualty, drunk like an Unclean Milkshake by an Eldritch Angler! Hors de Combat.
Taavi
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Taavi »

andyw666 wrote:Addendum: Oh no! Our first genuine casualty, drunk like an Unclean Milkshake by an Eldritch Angler! Hors de Combat.
He's not quite Hors de Combat (or Hors d'Oeuvres), yet.

PS Sense Trouble tests are meant to give you a hint that something is wrong...
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by Tabs »

Taavi wrote:He's not quite Hors de Combat (or Hors d'Oeuvres), yet.
Jory is facing a mind-flaying entity from beyond, or limp leafy vegetables in an oily dressing, which is it?
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by Cearlan »

andyw666 wrote: And welcome Cearlan! Am I right that you played the slatternly Pearl to my obnoxious and biggoted Calum in the late lamented Haunting (Redux) game on this forum?
Thanks Andy, but for the record I was no slattern, you obnoxious bigot ;) well not quite, just a bit flirty.
andyw666 wrote:Addendum: Oh no! Our first genuine casualty, drunk like an Unclean Milkshake by an Eldritch Angler! Hors de Combat.
hehehe - I can honestly say that I have never been called an unclean milkshake before
Taavi wrote: PS Sense Trouble tests are meant to give you a hint that something is wrong...
Ah but the chase for the ultimate squiz overrides all common sense
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Doing a quick review of the day's events, I'm not sure that Jory even knows where Luke went? I think Jory headed off before Luke made his plan (based on Laura's info). Does that sound right?

On that basis, Jory is going to have to get Grant, or another person, to remember Luke enough to recall where he went so that a rescue mission can be planned.
Taavi
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Taavi »

andyw666 wrote:Doing a quick review of the day's events, I'm not sure that Jory even knows where Luke went? I think Jory headed off before Luke made his plan (based on Laura's info). Does that sound right?

On that basis, Jory is going to have to get Grant, or another person, to remember Luke enough to recall where he went so that a rescue mission can be planned.
Your prompting is enough to refresh Grant's memory. I'm not sure where AndrewTBP is at the moment, so let's assume that Grant has told you Luke's movements in order to keep things moving and not leave Luke hanging, as it were.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Copy that, or as those Soviet spies used to say, Doneski! (Shall now formulate a rash plan...)
Bookman
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Bookman »

Sorry, somewhat of a delay posting, I had the misfortune to go down with a nasty bug. Feeling like you have been beaten round the head with a sack of cottonwool is not terribly conducive to creativity...post now up, normal service resumed and all that jazz.
Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam; e luce ad tenebras.
AndrewTBP
Initiate
Initiate

Post by AndrewTBP »

Sorry! This week's been crazy. Prepping for Saturday's The Green Ape, yesterday's Ride to Work, yadda yadda.
Grant's a very confused man right now.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Have been making another stab at APR's The Club Dumas and had to quote this from it, on the contents of one's satchel. Jory shall be taking a leaf out of Corso's book:
He always carried a good supply of aspirin in his canvas bag, together with books, pencils, pens, half-filled notepads, a many-bladed Swiss Army knife, passport, money, a bulging address book, and books belonging to him and to others. He could, at any time, disappear without a trace like a snail with its shell.
Taavi
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Taavi »

The Club Dumas is definitely a must-read.
I'm afraid I (like others) have had a hectic week, but things should slow down slightly on the coming week-end.
Taavi
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Taavi »

Future break:
As I may have mentioned already, on the 24th of November I and the family are upping sticks and moving from Canberra, Australia to Paris, France. As I'm going to need every minute in the surrounding weeks, I will not be writing anything for Grant's MB between the 17th of November and the 2nd of December (inclusive), after which we should be settled enough for me to come back to the game. I'll try to keep posting regularly up until the 17th. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves in the meantime ;) - might be a good time to plan your Auction strategy(ies?)

A more radical alternative might be - there are now several sub-plots up and running, which are loosely connected, but Only I Can See The Big Picture. It would, I think, be possible to make this a more round robin sort of thing where a player who is not very involved in one subplot became the Keeper for that plot. This would mean more work from players, and possibly spoilers if not handled well, but would also mean that Grant's doesn't grind to a halt when I'm unavailable. Is this an option people would be interested in exploring? This is just an option, I am happy to keep GMing as we are.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

(A) All duly noted. Grief, Canberra's miserable climate + annoying street layout traded for the City of Lights, Gendarmes, Catacoombs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespear ... bookstore)

(I heard the current Sylvia interviewdd in a podcast on the gendarmes who police the Seine.)

(B) I really have to re-read the ToC rules, I keep forgetting pertinent parts...

Andy
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by Tabs »

I take it you speak French: Bonvoyage, monsieur! Why are you moving? I went back a few pages and saw that you had a second child--you are a busy man!
A more radical alternative might be - there are now several sub-plots up and running, which are loosely connected, but Only I Can See The Big Picture. It would, I think, be possible to make this a more round robin sort of thing where a player who is not very involved in one subplot became the Keeper for that plot. This would mean more work from players, and possibly spoilers if not handled well, but would also mean that Grant's doesn't grind to a halt when I'm unavailable. Is this an option people would be interested in exploring? This is just an option, I am happy to keep GMing as we are.
I'd be up for it (Keeping for another plot) . . . what does everyone else think?
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Yes!! More part-time GMs while Taavi's en route to Croissantia welcome!

BTW, that link I posted seems buggered, but needless to say I was referring to Left Bank bookstore Shakespeare + Co, somewhere I'm sure Bookhounds would be comfortable.

(Until froggy Deep Ones pop out of the Seine.)

Andy
WinstonP
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Post by WinstonP »

While I lack the time personally to Keeper a sub-plot, I'm game to share the work, especially while Monsieur Taavi is in transit. Mayhaps Rev. Poole might do something other than darn his socks soon? :)
http://winstonp.wordpress.com
Bookman
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Bookman »

In Paris the Froggie Deep Ones wander the streets in daylight...ahem, English xenophobia aside, it is a marvellous city for the bookhound lifestyle, strange barrows on the riverbank, little shops down dark alleys, home to Jack Kehane and his son, Maurice Girodias, the isle where Jacques d'Molay burned, the plaza where Louis lost his head, the corner where Diana was sacrificed (I love The Invisibles...), place where hangs Foucault's pendulum, setting for one of the two best levels of Deus Ex...

Not so sure about being a part-time GM myself, I don't think I can guarantee enough time to keep flow moving and have never GM'd either Trail or a pbp before.
Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam; e luce ad tenebras.
Taavi
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Taavi »

Hi all,

We are almost up to Monday, after which it's only one more game day til Auction time, huzzah! Given that Jory and Luke (if they survive) will probably be a bit tired the next day, I think I will start a Monday thread for the other characters so as to keep things going, and Jory and Luke can join it when they stagger out of bed/hospital/the morgue.

I will discuss subplot options with Tabs. I'm sure you'll all be in good pseudopods.

PS For those who were curious, I'm going to Paris to take up a postdoc at Sciences Po, I will be doing some research on how social businesses (cooperatives, non-profits, et al) have handled the Global Financial Crisis.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Sorry guys, my best efforts to get posts in quickly get derailed by work.

Andy

Return to “Grant's Military Bookshop (A Bookhounds of London Game)”