CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Australia to Antarctica

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Australia to Antarctica

Post by Anatomist »

.George spends his time i his Laboratory trying to keep the crates from hitting each other too hard.
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

.Øyvind at tweendeck 5 stays with his dogs even he think he might hear some strange "thumps" trough the ship hull.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:Oh, my poor baby! thinks Katie, her heart wrenching at the sight of the damage to the aircraft. "We need to secure those engines and contain the kerosene spill," she says.
Gunnar carefully made his way down the ladder, stepped off onto the deck, and continued for some time to maintain a strong grip on the ladder rungs to stay upright as the ship swayed. His gaze never fell from the rolling engines. When finally the ship tilted away from the ladder area and the juggernauts bounced off to smash into the far hull, he grabbed straps and crates to pull himself along the wall, away from the ladder. "Come!" He yelled to Vittorio, the expedition member lowest on the ladder. "We must capture them!"

Vittorio slowly lowered himself down and as he touched his foot to the tweendeck floor, the ship tilted forward to send the aircraft engines tumbling down along the opposite wall into a corner, breaking apart a number of crates in their path. Vittorio was visibly shaking and crouching against the ladder. Gunnar yelled once more, "VITTORIO! You must help!"

Gunnar looked at Katie who was just above Vittorio, and Peter Sykes above Katie. With grim determination, Gunnar turned and continued pulling himself along the wall towards a rope net that hung on cleats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

."If you won't help, at least get out of the way!" says Katie. She tries to lower herself around him to the deck if she can do so safely.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

.Father Rucker stays in his room, praying for the crew member's lives
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

aine wrote:Martin leans over and retches into the bucket but there is nothing left to heave. Weakly, he lies back in the darkness, listening to the cacophony around him.
The torturous heaving and rolling of the ship seem to go on, and on, and on, and Martin is but one member of a chorus of nearby team members who are singing the blues.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:Laboratory trying to keep the crates from hitting each other too hard.
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind at tweendeck 5 stays with his dogs even he think he might hear some strange "thumps" trough the ship hull.
Each of these men find themselves very busy within the tossed vessel as shifting boxes and equipment work loose from their restraints to tumble about. Being hit by a thrown item is a constant danger. Preventing damage to the equipment or injury to the dogs is a sleepless, nigh impossible, task.
OOC to Anatomist,Anatomist, if you'd like you are free to write any harrowing tales about how George or Øyvind avoid getting crushed by boxes or how they save a dog or important piece of scientific equipment. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:"If you won't help, at least get out of the way!" says Katie. She tries to lower herself around him to the deck if she can do so safely.
With a flustered look up at Katie, Vittorio slowly, very carefully shuffles to one side.

Meanwhile, Gunnar has succeeded in pulling a rope net from its wall moorings and is now scrambling amongst the debris towards the engines in the corner, similar to how you might expect a lion tamer to approach one of his large, angry misbehaving cats.
OOC,Once Katie sets foot on the tweendeck floor, please make a DEX roll (to avoid slipping on the kerosene-slick floor) and a LUCK roll (to avoid getting into the path of a careening motor). These will only be needed this first round and every 5 rounds thereafter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

.Katie descends the rest of the way to the deck and makes her way over towards the nearest net. While an ordinary person would have slipped on the spilled kerosene, Katie's natural grace helps her stay on her feet. Luckily, she is not in the path of either engine.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

.In tweendeck 5 the noise levels are trough the roof. The dogs shifting between angry bark and sounds only a scared animal can make its not helped by the fact that there are a few waterbarrels and a lose cage hitting the walls of the tweendeck.

Øyvind falls and slides across the tweendeck floor for the 10th time trying to go from cage to cage to replace the vomited and shited hay in the dogs cages.'Forbannet du være Gud, la hundene mine slippe dette helvete!' he yells to the roof cursing God for letting his dogs go through this hellish experience.
At the end of the cage row he can see the last cage in the dim light, and the dog inside is awkwardly silent and calm. 'God no, dont punish me and my loud mouth, Rasken has no fault in this'

'thump', 'thump' a noise travels trough the ship hull

As Øyvind closes in he can see that the cage is dripping with blood. Rasken's skull is split in two where his head had hit the cage bar... Øyvind takes Rasken out of his cage, sits down hugging the dog and prays intensely for the storm to calm down.

Fader vår, du som er i himmelen!
Helliget vorde ditt navn;
komme ditt rike;
skje din vilje, som i himmelen, så og på jorden;
gi oss i dag vårt daglige brød;
og forlat oss vår skyld, som vi òg forlater våre skyldnere.
Led oss ikke inn i fristelse,
men fri oss fra det onde.
For riket er ditt
og makten og æren i all evighet. Amen.
komme ditt rike;
For riket er ditt

komme ditt rike;
For riket er ditt

'thump', 'thump' a noise travels trough the ship hull....
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

royya wrote:Father Rucker stays in his room, praying for the crew member's lives
The priest's prayers are swallowed by loud, intermittent groanings and crashes and thumps from the ship. Water is everywhere, sloshing down the hallways and dripping from every crack and opening.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Job wrote:Gunnar has succeeded in pulling a rope net from its wall moorings and is now scrambling amongst the debris towards the engines in the corner, similar to how you might expect a lion tamer to approach one of his large, angry misbehaving cats.
Mr. Handy wrote:Katie descends the rest of the way to the deck and makes her way over towards the nearest net. While an ordinary person would have slipped on the spilled kerosene, Katie's natural grace helps her stay on her feet. Luckily, she is not in the path of either engine.
The Gabrielle suddenly slides sideways and plunges down. Gunnar slips on kerosene and falls to the tilted deck, but manages to hang onto his net which is caught on a corner of a crate. Katie is near enough to reach for the polar guide, but this would require another incredible feat of dexterity to successfully pull him to his feet...

Peter Sykes climbs down to the deck and takes a moment to reach out to Vittorio, asking if he's OK. His teammate nods his head and Sykes turns to begin working his way towards Katie and Gunnar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:Øyvind takes Rasken out of his cage, sits down hugging the dog and prays intensely for the storm to calm down.

komme ditt rike;
For riket er ditt

'thump', 'thump' a noise travels trough the ship hull....
Even though the tweendeck's hatch is tightly secured, a loud BOOM! and crackle of thunder is heard, and felt, and the dogs all jump and yelp in unison. The mighty fury of the storm seems to be increasing as the time passes.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Confident, perhaps overconfident, in her agility, Katie reaches out to help Gunnar with one arm while gripping a support with the other. However, she is unable to stretch far enough.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Luckily, Gunnar maintains his grip on the net, and the net holds fast to the crate, during this particular drop of the S.S. Gabrielle during the storm. Everyone is slammed against the crates and walls as the ship crashes at the bottom of the wave's trough, then rights itself and begins rolling back. Gunnar takes advantage of the moment to stand and toss one end of the net to Katie and another to Peter Sykes. Behind them, Paco finishes his slide down the ladder and lands on the deck.
Pictured above, Paco Guerini, polar guide

Gunnar
shouts to be heard over the howling storm, "WE NEED TO CAPTURE THE ENGINES IN THIS NET! FIRST ONE, THEN THE OTHER!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

.Katie nods, knowing she'll never be heard over the noise. She advances on the nearer of the two engines in tandem with Peter, gripping her end of the net in the hopes of trapping it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

.The shattering of the roof light bulb surprised him as it hissed and the fragment of glass fell on the lab floor. The only light now was the flickering of lightning coming in the wall scuttle. BOOM! it was almost as he could feel the sound wave hit his body. It made him sick all this stimulus together. The flickering of the light, the pressure of the air, the sound wave hitting his internal organs and the constant rolling of the ship.

In the back of the lab George Barrow doubled over has he violently vomited bile and stomach mucus, it was really not much left in his stomach, but his body tried as good it could to expel whatever it thought was in him.
Luckily for him the lab was tightly secured and every piece of equipment double padded in the boxes with hay and cotton.

He just had to clam to the chair in the backof his lab and keep that bucket between his legs.
~Bony End of Story~
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

.Father Rucker opens the door to his cabin, trying to secure it from banging and slamming.
Anyone needs my help?
He will try to shout to the first crew member he sees
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

.Martin listens to the noises of the storm; surely that loud booming is not from the weather. He fervently hopes the ship is not falling apart and leans over to spit bile into the bucket.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:Katie nods, knowing she'll never be heard over the noise. She advances on the nearer of the two engines in tandem with Peter, gripping her end of the net in the hopes of trapping it.
The forenose of the Gabrielle rises upwards and tilts to portside, sending the engines slowly tumbling along the left wall towards the team, one in front of the other. This is most fortuitous, allowing Gunnar to carefully move forward and wrap his side of the net around some protrusions of the closest rolling motor, then he skips to the right of it as it rolls past towards Katie and Peter. Paco and Vittorio remain near the ladder, scanning for opportunities.
Spoiler:
Sailor Terms,
Fore = front; port = left; starboard = right; aft = rear.
The front and right side of the ship rose upwards
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”