CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Australia to Antarctica

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Australia to Antarctica

Post by Mr. Handy »

.Katie moves to stretch out the net and secure her end of it in order to trap the engine.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:Katie moves to stretch out the net and secure her end of it in order to trap the engine.
Peter and Katie and Gunnar capture one of the two engines within their netting, then Peter and Gunnar pull taught their sides of the net to hold it stationary. Peter shouts to Katie, "GET A ROPE AND TIE IT DOWN!" He then motions with his head toward a corner of the tweendeck floor where a coiled rope protrudes from under a pile of broken crates.
For Katie,With the constant rocking of the ship, Katie must make a DEX roll to move across the tweendeck to retrieve the rope and to secure the rope to the engine and wall cleats
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:In the back of the lab George Barrow doubled over has he violently vomited bile and stomach mucus, it was really not much left in his stomach, but his body tried as good it could to expel whatever it thought was in him. Luckily for him the lab was tightly secured and every piece of equipment double padded in the boxes with hay and cotton.

He just had to clam to the chair in the back of his lab and keep that bucket between his legs.
While George keeps watch over his equipment during the storm, he often hears sounds of shifting cargo within the hold, and he's occasionally startled by something falling to the deck. Protecting his equipment is a demanding job. He's dizzy, he's nauseous, and he must investigate every sound of every movement to ensure that nothing will collapse onto his precious crates of chemicals and glassware.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

royya wrote:Father Rucker opens the door to his cabin, trying to secure it from banging and slamming.
Anyone needs my help?
He will try to shout to the first crew member he sees
All crew members who are not incapacitated by seasickness are busy moving carefully about the ship, cleaning up spills, securing any loose equipment or supplies, and making routine checks of all areas for signs of damage. They don't mention any need of help from Father Rucker and, at this time, don't know of any crewmembers who have been injured or lost. But the priest notices looks of concern about the threat from the storm--and possibly even fear--on every face he sees.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

aine wrote:Martin listens to the noises of the storm; surely that loud booming is not from the weather. He fervently hopes the ship is not falling apart and leans over to spit bile into the bucket.
Time seems to stretch on and on for Martin, and he feels absolutely awful. Each lurch and roll of the ship causes another roll and lurch of his stomach. Occasionally, a shadowy figure enters his cabin, looks to see if he's OK, then moves on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

.Katie nods again, certain that she's the right one for this job given her natural balance and agility. She nimbly makes her way to the rope and loops the coil about herself. Then she just as skillfully brings it back and uses it to secure the engine to the wall cleats. She beams from ear to ear, glowing from a job well done. Then she remembers that the second engine remains and looks around for another net.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

.Pierce checks his meters and dials of the barometer, which becomes more and more troublesome at the increasingly unruly waters. The banging and thumping from loose cargo is not letting down. A decreased air pressure and a cold front seems to be engulfing the SS Gabrielle.

Hopefully, they all will see Friday dawn in the morning. Pierce pours yet another mug of Australian white and holds the cup in both hands. Better not spill a drop. Being drunk beats being sea sick. Yet, the sickness is purely postponed. To Alby, that's a good thing.

He's not sure if it's the wine or his stout frame of a body that keeps him up and running, from the sounds coming from the other cabins others are having trouble. He gets on his feet and grabs an extra mug and a fresh bottle of white. Exits the cabin and heads for Father Rucker's cabin. "Time to see what his god has to say about this ungodly weather.." He mutters as he balances as best as he can manage. "Better head to have a looksie at the Orgelfinger lad as well. Might have grown a pair in the process." He thinks as he reaches the priest's abode. Finding him not there, Pierce passes numerous crew members and then spots Rucker. "Oi! Feel to have a theological discussion, Father?" He lifts the bottle and waves at the expedition member.
Con-check,On the second day of the storm in September, Pierce managed to stomach the sea sickness [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4601803/[/url] He managed to acquire his Sea Legs at the same time. [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4601805/[/url] [color=#008000]October 25 6:12PM[/color] Con check: [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4601810/[/url] Which is a pass!
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

Everything is a test from above.
Rucker replies
We are being tested for will and morale. keep calm and trust the lord o' mighty.
Father Rucker replies to Pierce and every crew member that pass before him.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

.Paco watches raptly as the mayhem is brought under at least partial control through the heroic efforts of Gunnar and Katie. Still, one tremendous mechanical wrecking ball slid shrilly along the hold's deck threatening to flatten anyone that stumbles into it's path.

"Vittorio!" he bellows to his compatriot, "We've got to get hold of that second engine! We must find more rope!"

He scans the chaotic scene for anything of use in securing the engine.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:Katie nods again, certain that she's the right one for this job given her natural balance and agility. She nimbly makes her way to the rope and loops the coil about herself. Then she just as skillfully brings it back and uses it to secure the engine to the wall cleats. She beams from ear to ear, glowing from a job well done. Then she remembers that the second engine remains and looks around for another net.
As if the gods were angry at Katie's defiance, the prow of the Gabrielle was suddenly shoved upwards to such a steep angle that the free engine began sliding, then rapidly tumbling towards the team. Everyone leapt aside, but Gunnar was not quick enough as the heavy engine smashed his lower leg against the ship's hull with a thunderous boom. He fell twisting to the deck, crying out, his leg remaining pinned at an odd angle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

.Katie winces in sympathy, hurrying over to the remaining stray engine to pry it off of Gunnar's leg - and secure it while she's at it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

."Gunnar!" Paco barks, half sprinting, half sliding to where his fallen comrade lies. He lends his shoulder to trying to pry the engine off his shattered leg.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Syrinx wrote:Pierce checks his meters and dials of the barometer, which becomes more and more troublesome at the increasingly unruly waters. The banging and thumping from loose cargo is not letting down. A decreased air pressure and a cold front seems to be engulfing the SS Gabrielle.
With a sinking feeling in his stomach, Pierce realizes that he has never seen a barometer reading this low, nor has he ever heard of a barometer reading this low.
Syrinx wrote:"Better head to have a looksie at the Orgelfinger lad as well. Might have grown a pair in the process."
Pierce finds himself bouncing from one corridor wall to the other as he carefully manuevers his way down the hall. Douglas is lying on his cot, his face as pale as a sheet, mouth agape, one hand holding onto the metal bunk frame to prevent himself from falling to the floor.
Con-check,[color=#0000FF]Congratulations! Pierce has indeed gained his sea legs! [/color] :mrgreen: --Job. On the second day of the storm in September, Pierce managed to stomach the sea sickness [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4601803/[/url] He managed to acquire his Sea Legs at the same time. [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4601805/[/url] [color=#008000]October 25 6:12PM[/color] Con check: [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4601810/[/url] Which is a pass!
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

jbibblesworth wrote:Paco watches raptly as the mayhem is brought under at least partial control through the heroic efforts of Gunnar and Katie.

"Vittorio!" he bellows to his compatriot, "We've got to get hold of that second engine! We must find more rope!"
The electric lamps sway crazily overhead, bouncing harsh shadows about the tweendeck. Looking into Vittorio's face, Paco and sees that the man is noticeably shaking with rainwater drops flying from his nose and chin. Vittorio hesitates, then nods his head at Paco and reluctantly releases his grip on the ladder.
jbibblesworth wrote:"Gunnar!" Paco barks, half sprinting, half sliding to where his fallen comrade lies. He lends his shoulder to trying to pry the engine off his shattered leg.
Mr. Handy wrote:Katie winces in sympathy, hurrying over to the remaining stray engine to pry it off of Gunnar's leg - and secure it while she's at it.
Paco, Katie, and Vittorio all throw their weight against the motor, with Vittorio pushing his feet against the hull, and the engine moves ever so slightly--but not enough to free Gunnar's limb. Sykes is furiously wrapping one end of Katie's rope about the metal object.
One more try,Paco and Katie must make a combined strength roll to free Gunnar's leg before the ship crests its wave and sends the engine tumbling in some unwanted direction.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Katie grits her teeth as she and Paco struggle to free Gunnar's leg and keep the engine from rolling away.
OOC,I have STR 15, but I don't know what [b]Paco[/b]'s STR is or what the opposing number is.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

.Paco groans loudly at the exertion and the veins on his neck stand out as tawt, pulsating cords as he strains to lift the massive hunk of machinary that traps his fallen shipmate.
OOC,OOC: Unfortunately, I'm unable to access the site that had Paco's old sheet on it from work. But I believe the old sheet was built using another system in any case. So I'm not sure what to recommend regarding Paco's STR. [color=#0000FF]Hi Jbibblesworth. Check the character sheet reference area and you'll find Paco's old sheet. His strength is listed as a 16 which is actually very good, but you'll need to first decide if you want to keep the Paco's old stats or reroll them. See my response in the OOC thread. As a general note, in the "In Character" threads, please enclose any OOC comments or dice rolls within these little spoiler buttons. This makes it easy for someone to read the text of our creative writing without the distractions of seeing the out-of-game comments. Thanks, and it's great to have you aboard! --J.[/color]
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

ooc,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4610930/]CONx2 34% (1d100=43,1d100=98, 1d100=100, 1d100=66, 1d100=49)[/url] --100 wow!

James Poole descends the ladder to the hold, urgently and with skill, like the expert climber he is. However he is gripped by ever present seasickness, and despite his desire to help retches on to the deck instead.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

For Katie and Paco,NOTE: Once the rolling is done, I'll either edit or delete this post in such a way as to best make the story flow smoothly. Once JBibblesworth decides whether to stick with Paco's old stats or re-roll them, he'll then make a d100 roll. I think how I'll handle the engine push is as follows: Weight of engine = roughly 600 lbs U.S. = roughly the weigh of (2) size 18 humans, give or take a few pizzas. So the resistance table roll will be Katie's + Paco's + Vittorio's STR vs. the engine's SIZ of 36 = 15 (Katie) + 16 (Paco, tentatively) + 12 (Vittorio) = 43 vs. 36 on the resistance table, roughly equivalent to 14 vs. 12. So the three of you will need to average greater than 40% each or, added together, roll a total percentage of greater than 120. This is the least complicated way for me to figure it out. But I'm open to suggestions.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I think the way Resistance rolls work is that you want to roll as low as possible. When pitting 43 against 36, you need to get 85% or less. It's probably simplest just to have one of us roll, and I've already done it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

Spoiler:
I'll go ahead and keep his old stats in that case.

To be honest, the resistance table has always given me fits. So however you decide to proceed is fine by me. I'm including my roll below. In the future I'll include the link, but today I'm at the office and though I have access to this site, I have to roll on my phone.

STR Roll - 1d100 - [47] = (47)

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”