Our BtMoM Obsidian Portal Front End

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Our BtMoM Obsidian Portal Front End

Post by Mr. Handy »

I have dealt with CSS before. I'm not sure when I'd have time to work on it, as I don't have all that much free time, so it's good that there's no rush.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by Job »

Yes, no rush. I like that as well. 8-)

I'm still pondering a few design elements, and will piece together an outline of how our portal will fit together, but right now I'm at the very early stages of conceptualizing things. If you get any interesting ideas that might be fun to put into our game portal, please don't hesitate to offer them up. The more ideas at this stage, the better. In the meantime, I'll continue testing and trying different things, occasionally providing a link to any new elements that I add.

Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by Anatomist »

Job, you do get access to a folder where you got all these pages and code, right?
We could set up a https://github.com/ project and push the code from there to the site. That would make it possible for me and Mr.Handy to work on this, do it the proper way, with a repository.
I would use VS2010 to the design and such and push it from my IDE to github and from there ftp it over to obsidian.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Hmm, well, I wouldn't really call it a folder (although they probably have a folder structure somewhere).

If you create an Obsidian Portal (OP) account, you work within their tool which appears to limit your access to view and work on a single page of code at a time. I think that their OP front-end tool enforces these limitations to provide a "friendlier" way for non-programmers to set up a game site/portal.

The answer, I think, to your question is yes, I can copy the code for our BtMoM portal, page-by-page, into a site like GitHub where we can manage the code. When we're happy with how the pages look and operate, I can copy the code, page-by-page, back into OP to our site. I've never used GitHub, but I'm willing to try it so that we can collaborate on BtMoM. And I'm a sucker for trying out new techno-tools. ;)

Job.

P.S. The Obsidian Portal site has a severe limitation (in my view) in that if we decide to change some code that is common to a number of pages, for example a background image, then we have to manually make those changes page-by-page. The larger our portal grows, the more difficult the maintenance of all of our pages. Would GitHub help with maintaining the code, so that if we change code for one page, we could specify that same change for a number of other pages?
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote: If you create an Obsidian Portal (OP) account, you work within their tool which appears to limit your access to view and work on a single page of code at a time. I think that their OP front-end tool enforces these limitations to provide a "friendlier" way for non-programmers to set up a game site/portal.
Can you write them and ask for more access? It might they have just limited access due making it easier for the not-techie user.
Job wrote: P.S. The Obsidian Portal site has a severe limitation (in my view) in that if we decide to change some code that is common to a number of pages, for example a background image, then we have to manually make those changes page-by-page. The larger our portal grows, the more difficult the maintenance of all of our pages. Would GitHub help with maintaining the code, so that if we change code for one page, we could specify that same change for a number of other pages?
Github is just the repository. (that manages version of code and give the tools to do some collaborative coding). With the right uses of classes, interfaces and such, would facilitate making changes over all pages. It is excaclty why people like myself and Mr.Handy has studied programming, we are lazy and dont want to hardcode much of the code, it is way easier to make some generic layout and use <div> to dispaly content. Dynamic HTML programming FTW.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

OK Anatomist, I've fired off the questions to someone whom I think can help (or who will be able to point me in the right direction for an answer).

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

So, this weekend I played around with another design for text pages in our portal. It's a more elegant design than the "Ice Box" designs of last week. I call it, the "Ye Olde Compass Watermark" page. Here's a link to the new layout.

Let me know if you think that this design seems like a better layout for our expedition logs.

I'm considering lightening the compass image slightly. It seems just a bit too dark for a "watermark" on the page.

Job.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The second one was a bit dark, but the first one looks all right. I like the compass, but I don't know if I'd lose the ice entirely. Maybe you should use the compass for logs and other text-based things and the ice background for pictures.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Mr. Handy wrote:The second one was a bit dark, but the first one looks all right. I like the compass, but I don't know if I'd lose the ice entirely. Maybe you should use the compass for logs and other text-based things and the ice background for pictures.
As Handy. Like the first one for the same reasons.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Thank you for your feedback, guys. I agree that each of the two layouts seems to look better with certain content so, depending on what I/we want to display, I'd use one or the other. As you suggested, Mr. Handy, the compass background seems to look best with text while the iceboxes look better with photos.

I have one more layout in mind that I'll be creating with photoshop this week, then once I've finished it, I feel that I'll be ready to focus on building our content (with links to our actual game).

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

For our Obsidian Portal, I'd like to propose a set of contests that anyone can win, and each of these contests will be for selecting photos or writing summary text that best represents the story of one chapter of our game.

Here are the first two chapters (4 contests) open. You can apply to any one contest that interests you, or to all of them--or to none if you're pretty darned busy in RL. No pressure here. Once you submit an entry in this thread, I'll post a link to it under these headings for everyone's consideration.

OUR FIRST CONTEST: Chapter 5: IC - Traveling through Panama (from sailing into Panama's harbor at Colon, through the canal, and into Balboa Bay)
  • Best Photo or Illustration
  • Best Summary Text
OUR SECOND CONTEST: Chapter 5: IC - Panama through Austrailia. (this chapter is not quite finished, but is moving along nicely)
  • Best Photo or Illustration
  • Best Summary Text
The rules:

BEST CHAPTER PHOTO OR ILLUSTRATION: I've decided that, for aesthetic purposes and to lure Obsidian Portal (i.e. OP) readers into our tale, we should select a unique photo or illustration to represent the action and/or environment or defining moment of each chapter of our story. This photo or illustration will be posted as the introduction to the text, or perhaps it will be used as the background wallpaper image for that chapter. You or a friend or family member are welcome to find a photo or draw or paint or photoshop something creative and representative of the action during a chapter. Existing photos or illustrations that have already been used in our story are valid for submitting as an entry, but we'll have to consider whether submitting these merits a prize (I haven't really given it that much thought).

BEST CHAPTER SUMMARY TEXT: We will need two text summaries for each chapter of our game. 1) A short summary that will appear on our main index page, and 2) the longer well-hyperlinked synopsis that describes the adventure in much greater detail (but not a simple cut-and-paste of all threads). Anyone is allowed to submit a summary for either the short or the long version because the winner for this "Best Summary Element" can be either the short summary or a longer synopsis. You may submit a summary written expressly with the idea to present all key elements of the chapter in a logical or emotional order, or it could be a fictionally-written account of a single event that was experienced by a PC or NPC within a long chapter that may or may not have described in our actual Play-by-post writings. Or you may nominate an excerpt directly from the story, preferably of 2 or 3 paragraphs at a minimum (perhaps with a little editing...), but as with the photos and illustrations, we'll have to decide whether these excerpts merits a prize (perhaps for the actual author of the excerpt?).

WHO CAN SUBMIT PHOTOS OR TEXT? Any member of the expedition, or any interested RL friend or family of an expedition member, or me or any friend or family member of mine, may do so. The more, the merrier. If you have a professional author or artist who is willing to help you put together the winning photo or text, so much the better! It may attract more attention. However any assistance that you may enlist will not gain you any increase in winnings; that is, you won't get two prizes if you and an artist collaborated on an illustration or summary text.

WHO CHOOSES THE WINNER? Only actual members of the expedition can vote (and offer bribes for votes). I may amend this rule to allow any readers of our story to vote, but we should discuss this. You may vote for your own submission. Each member only gets a single vote. The Keeper (i.e. me) votes count as a single vote, but may also cast an extra vote to break a tie.

WHAT DO WE WIN? First, you'll win bragging rights on the Obsidian Portal for one month. Your photo or text will be prominently displayed on our homepage for a time, and also in the Expedition Log area of the portal. Second, you will get to select one item of note from the expedition that you or your character would find memorable for the rest of your days (for example, A photo that I would enlarge and frame for you, a certificate printed on special paper and framed, a handprint of blood on a piece of wood, or 1930's memorabilia) and I'll do my best to find one to procure or make one for you. The less expensive the better of course, since there are limits as to how much money my wife will let me spend. Or, another option would be for a winner to select a publication that you always wanted, such as a CoC scenario or handbook (within reason, of course; and unfortunately no, I cannot afford to send copies of the BtMoM scenario book to the winners). Or you can leave the prize entirely up to me, and I'll pick out something related to our expedition to send to the winner.

Please note: I'm open to comments or suggestions for improving these contests. Feel free to either send me a PM or to post ideas in this thread.

Thanks, and best of luck,
Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Hey, here's a new page layout that I created with the Starkweather-Moore logo as a light watermark. It also includes a fun little Cthulhu logo that I like.

I'm working on one more layout design, then I'll be ready to kick into gear with the chapter summaries.

Comments are welcomed!

Job.

P.S. Our BtMoM portal already have 7 friends who favorited us to keep an eye on what we add!
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

OK, I think that I've finally completed my design & redesign & re-redesign of our Obsidian Portal home page.

I liked the parchment look of my previous design, but it was not bleak enough. Nor snowy and icy enough. So now our home page is very icy and snowy and white.

Here's a link. I am interested in hearing your comments. I will use the other designs, for example the "ye olde compass" layout, and the "SME Logo" layout, when I begin adding our chapter summary pages and photos.

I made one other improvement that, I think, makes a HUGE difference in the home page. It's subtle, but dramatic once it's been pointed out to you. I recently purchased an actual photo of the BtMoM painting (instead of a scan of the book cover) that incredibly increases the resolution and depth of color of our background wallpaper. Take a look: It's amazing, in my opinion.

Now tomorrow I'll get back to writing. :D

Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Have you been working on this site lately?
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Not lately, unfortunately, due to travels and workload. My first priority is to keep the game going and, at some point, I hope to get back to updating this site.

Job
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

I went back to our Obsidian Portal site for a moment and, wow, I am reminded of how I really like how it looks!

I won't have a lot of time to do much considering that the holidays are upon us, but if I can steal a bit of time at some point to start adding content to it, what would be more interesting for you, as players, to see added first?

1. Player pictures and character sheets?
2. NPC pictures and summaries and links?
3. Adventure summaries and links?

J.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Hi Job!
Being interested in OP I´d like to read some logs.
That´s just me as a lurker, though.

Nice set up over there!
/Dave
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Wow! I didn't know that I even HAD a lurker!

Thanks for following along, Syrinx. As an admitted lurker, maybe I should count your vote as two votes. ;)

J.
Ewoklord
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by Ewoklord »

I'd be all for adventure summaries as an easy way to get caught up.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Adventure summaries and links would be my preference too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”