CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Panama to Australia

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Panama to Australia

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm not a landlubber," says Katie to Camille, "I'm an airlubber. Well, this should be fun. I think I know what this is. We must be close to crossing the Equator. There's a sort of initiation that sailors go through the first time they cross the Equator - aboard ship that is. I've flown further south than that."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by Job »

Once all of the summons have been delivered, Captain Vredenburg responds to Davy Jones, "Please assure his Majesty these persons will attend his Court."

"Thank you, Sir. His Majesty would be pleased if your vessel be hove to on the Line at eleven thirty tomorrow, Sir, to receive him aboard."

"Certainly, Davy Jones."

"I will await your pleasure tomorrow, sir, and will see you when I return with my Royal Master, Neptunus Rex. Good night, Sir!"

Davy Jones and the captain bow to each other, then the messenger exits the bridge and makes his way back towards the bow of the ship, once again admonishing any who cross his path. Upon reaching the Gabrielle's bow, Davy Jones vanishes once more.

The floodlights illuminating the ships foredeck are extinguished and the Gabrielle's crew prepares to resume the journey south as though nothing had occured.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Túrin Turambar
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by Túrin Turambar »

"Sir, what is the meaning of this?" James politely asks Turlow. "You do not seem particularly surprised by this, so I assume that you know who our dear 'Davy Jones' is? This document also threatens to kill us if we do not comply, which I must admit worries me a bit, however absurd it may seem ..."
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Túrin Turambar wrote:"Sir, what is the meaning of this?" James politely asks Turlow. "You do not seem particularly surprised by this, so I assume that you know who our dear 'Davy Jones' is? This document also threatens to kill us if we do not comply, which I must admit worries me a bit, however absurd it may seem ..."
First Officer Turlow looks at James and says, "Just do as you are told and you'll be fine, James." The First Office then turns and continues distributing the remaining documents to the Lubbers. James could detect nothing amiss, nor any emotion whatsoever from Turlow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've never heard of this sort of initiation being so elaborate," says Katie to Camille. "I'd like to know how they pulled off that act. It should be interesting to see what kind of show they put on tomorrow to top this."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

The morning of September 25th dawns bright and clear, with calm seas and a steady breeze of five knots from the northwest. The Gabrielle's crew have been busy since before sunrise, erecting some sort of structure on the main deck's bow area, and no "landlubbers" are permitted anywhere near that area, or even up on the bridge deck where they could get a glimpse of what they are building. By nine o-clock, their work is complete.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SS Gabrielle - On the Equator - Latitude 0° Longitude 87° 21' 33"
11:30 a.m. (ship time) – Monday 25th September, 1933

At eleven-thirty the Gabrielle reaches the Equator, the ship's engine is stopped, and the navigator reports to Captain Vredenburg that the ship is “on the Line." All passengers and crew are are commanded to assemble as Davy Jones, then a large party of unlikely figures led by King Neptune himself, make their way aft from the bow. The long-bearded King Neptune himself is encrusted with barnacles, wears a crown, and carries a trident.

Upon the group's meeting of Captain Vredenburgh, the procession halts and Davy Jones exclaims, "Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

"To all you landlubbers, Oh you filty scum; you pretenders to true seaman; you pretenders to a seaman's eye; you who are about to enter the realm of his majesty, King Neptune, take heed and grovel!

"To you, Captain Vredenburgh and all shellbacks, I present His Grace, Neptunus Rex, ruler of the Raging Realm and King of all creatures in and on the Deeps of the Seven Seas, does deign to receive the SS Gabrielle into his royal palace. His emminence is accompanied by her majesty, Queen Amphitrite, Our Consort, and the Heir Apparent, the Royal Baby, with sundry noble persons and retainers, and mermaids of the court."

Captain Vredenburgh replies, "A sailor's welcome to you, your Grace, it is a great pleasure to have you with us. We regret, your Grace, that so many scurvy landlubbers and pollywogs are aboard this vessel, but of those who prove their worth we shall make loyal subjects before the setting of today's sun."

King Neptune haughtily surveys the assembled crew. "The pleasure is mine, Captain, and to you, your officers and crew, I welcome you to the waves and deep of my watery domain which from time immemorial has been under my benevolent rule. We have a busy day ahead in order to make all landlubbers present fit subjects of my domain."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
*Actual photo(s) of "Crossing the Line" ceremonies taken aboard USS Lamons DE 743, USS Canfield DE 262, USS McClelland DE 750, USS Gray DE/FF 1054 and USS Formoe DE 509. More to come.
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

This must be a joke of some kind
Father Rucker smiles to a near by companion (NPC or any player beside him)
But somehow he feels unease with the formal parchment he just received.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Royya wrote:Father Rucker smiles to a near by companion.
Vittorio Luizzi looked at his summons, then at Father Rucker, saying in a thick Italian accent, "Consuming air without license? This make-a no sense to me, Padre. And look," he pointed to the ship's mast. The Gabrielle was running the "Jolly Roger" flag, not their own colors. "The flag! It is sign of il diavolo!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Job wrote:King Neptune haughtily surveys the assembled crew. "The pleasure is mine, Captain, and to you, your officers and crew, I welcome you to the waves and deep of my watery domain which from time immemorial has been under my benevolent rule. We have a busy day ahead in order to make all landlubbers present fit subjects of my domain."
Captain Vredenburgh said, “King Neptune, I now turn over command to you for such time as you wish.”

King Neptune replied, “Very well Captain, and thank you. If you will excuse us now, we will endeavor to administer the “The Degrees”, more commonly known as “The Royal Works”, necessary to transform landlubbers into full fledged sea-going men and women.” The captain retired to the bridge while all "Shellbacks" formed lines along both the port and starboard sides of the main deck, allowing room in the center of the main deck for all "Pollywogs".

Davy Jones then addressed all landlubbers who were given a summons, “To begin your transformation, all ye scurvy pretenders must first kneel and kiss the royal baby, King Neptune’s heir apparent.” King Neptune and Queen Amphitrite looked on expectantly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I knew it, I was right!" says Katie with a triumphant grin. "This is the Equator, all right. Pollywogs are what they call people like us who haven't crossed it before, and shellbacks are people who have. That's what we'll be when this is over." She kneels and kisses the "baby" first, but on the cheek.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

George loos at the female pilot takes the lead on kissing the "baby". 'Oh god ... In the name of Science' George walks to the baby saying with a grin 'the most beautiful infant i ever have kissed'
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Øyvind felt his manhood being tested 'Is this a Joke?!' 'no way im going to..' Then Øyvind looked around and realized that King Neptune in deed had a lot of followers 'Would just be silly of me to resist' Øyvind sees as George makes his kneeling and kissing and waits for his turn. Øyvind kneels and kisses as fast he can wanting the be done with it as fast as possible.
~Bony End of Story~
Túrin Turambar
Layman
Layman

Post by Túrin Turambar »

James follows Mr Turlow's advice and does as he is told, solemnly.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Neptune's Baby seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself, whether being kissed by male or female, and Katie (being the first kisser) was most surprised when Baby reached back behind him to dip his hand into a bucket and hit her with a handful of mustard. After that, all other landlubbers knew what was coming.

Officers of the SS Gabrielle were forced to kiss Baby's feet!

Following the opening ritual, Davy Jones announced that "All landlubbers must don the official uniform! No shoes. No socks. No Pants. No shirts. However, due to the fact that we have two filthy pollywogs who happen to be of feminine nature, King Neptune has seen fit to grant them--and only them--special dispensation. They will be allowed to wear a toga to match that of our fair Queen Amphitrite's." Since the Gabrielle was at the equator, the day was extremely hot and humid and most of the landlubbers were happy to shed their clothes.

Once the official uniforms were "donned", next was a visit to the Royal Barber, who drew forth a large pair of shears and began his work on Douglas Orglefinger, neatly (sort of) trimming a stripe along one side of his head. Other landlubbers were next.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, the sooner I get it cut," says Katie, "the sooner it'll grow back." She waits her turn to be shorn.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Túrin Turambar
Layman
Layman

Post by Túrin Turambar »

James looks distressed, but fights back the urge to protest.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Image Image
The Sorensen brothers, Gunnar and Nils, were quite angry about the Royal Barber and at first refused to let their hair be cut. And then they watched as Katie and Camille each submitted to the royal barbering, but still they argued and shook their heads. Until, that is, they were surrounded by shellbacks and threatened to be held down to have ALL of their hair cut off! They finally complied, but it was obvious that they were not happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Túrin Turambar wrote:James looks distressed, but fights back the urge to protest.
If James was distressed about the Royal Barber, the next event was sure to cause concern...

"And now, to cleanse the landlubber's spirit of all pestilence and filth, shouted Davy Jones, "the Royal Bath awaits!" Davy led the group forward to the very end of the ship's bow where they discovered a makeshift pool of sea water within a canvas liner, about four feet deep and about seven by seven feet square. Floating on the surface of the water was some type of oil, diesel judging by the smell. Each crew member was forced to say "Shellback!" three times while being dunked.

Afterwards, Davy Jones faced all sopping-wet landlubbers and said, "The final transformation is very near at hand! You have merely to RUN THE GAUNTLET!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Ewoklord
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Ewoklord »

Douglas tenderly touches the place where his hair used to be. "I really don't see why we have to do this," he protests weakly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"At least I'm very good at running," says Katie, shaking what remains of her hair dry as much as she can.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”