CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Panama to Australia

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Panama to Australia

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That sounds like the safest move," says Katie. "Tossing it overboard means we'd lose the evidence, but it would ensure that this thing doesn't detonate aboard the ship. It depends how confident you are that you can render it safe."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"That sounds like the safest move," says Katie. "Tossing it overboard means we'd lose the evidence, but it would ensure that this thing doesn't detonate aboard the ship. It depends how confident you are that you can render it safe."
George unconsciously takes a step back. 'but the evidence...' 'Vittorio can you un-arm the explosive? with your expertise i mean?'
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:"That sounds like the safest move," says Katie. "Tossing it overboard means we'd lose the evidence, but it would ensure that this thing doesn't detonate aboard the ship. It depends how confident you are that you can render it safe."
Anatomist wrote:George unconsciously takes a step back. 'but the evidence...' 'Vittorio can you un-arm the explosive? with your expertise i mean?'
Vittorio's face is lit by Starkweather's electric torch. You notice a slump in his stance and his eyes flitting about the main deck before his gaze finally meets yours. "I can try, Seniorina. Senior, I can try, but...," his voice trails off.

Starkweather asks, "But what? What is it, man? Out with it!"

"It is-a the fuse, Comandante," responds Vittorio. "I am not-a sure. The fuse, it looks sbagliato. Um, wrong? I think if I move-a the fuse in a certain way..." He moves a fist into the light and opens it in a quick gesture, splaying his fingers upwards, flatly stating, "Boom."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think the risk is too great," says Katie. "You could take the bomb into a boat and work on it a safe distance from the ship, I suppose, but you'd be taking an awful chance."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Vittorio looks down at the deck and hesitates for a few long moments, then brightens and says, "Let us place-a the caps in a wooden box. This-a way, there is-a no spark." He smiles. "And-a then, we fill-a the box with water to wet the fuse. And-a we lower the box into the ocean. To sink."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I think that's for the best," says Katie. "Let's find a box and do it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

The team retrieved a wooden box from the kitchen and filled it with fresh water--Vittorio cautioned against using salt water to eliminate the possibility of an unanticipated chemical reaction. He slowly immersed the cloth-covered blasting caps in the water and breathed a loud sigh of relief. He then asked if anyone in the group was an expert at tying knots so that the box could be tightly bound in a balanced fashion and lowered to the sea without spilling its contents.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm pretty good at it," says Katie, "but I expect sailors are the best at tying knots."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

James Starkweather says, "Exactly right," and asks for help from a nearby seaman. Once he's finished tying the box, they lower it without event into the ocean where it sinks beneath the waves. Everyone breathes a sigh of relief. And then the commander says, "So let's now gather in the mess and figure out how to identify this saboteur, shall we?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, let's get to the bottom of this," says Katie, following Starkweather to the mess. "I'm tired of someone trying to kill us all."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”