CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Panama to Australia

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Re: CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Panama to Australia

Post by Job »

royya wrote:
ooc,Job, do not forget that Rucker still wants to speak to the sailor that wanted to reveal some secret to him.
Previously,[url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=212&t=2941&start=20#p123884][i][color=#00BF00]From Father Rucker's experiences the previous day:[/color][/i][/url] The weather improves after two days of rough seas. By noon on September twenty-fourth, the gusts of wind lessen and then disappear and the surface of the ocean smooths to a near calm. The return of fair weather raises the explorers' spirits, especially those of Wade Watkins and George Barrow who've been incapacitated for the period, but the [i]Gabrielle's[/i] crew does not seem to share the mood. Off-duty sailors watch the scientists with impassive faces, or huddle in corners conversing in low tones before moving elsewhere. Groups of crewmen are seen carrying covered parcels about the ship, seeming to deliberately avoid the investigators. [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=212&t=2839&start=40#p118465]Perhaps this is merely a continuation of the mood of the crewmen from earlier in the expedition.[/url]
There he is!

As Father Rucker runs to gather the medical equipment for Professor Moore, he catches sight of Peter Stokely, who appears to be working near the bow of the ship. Peter Stokely was the crewman who had earlier hinted to Father of things going wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind washes his face with wather grabs Starweathers cognac and drinks a mouthful, humidifies his handkerchief and goes down the hatch again 'the hose' 'i must place it in the right place!' and with that he is gone out of sight.
Øyvind arrives at the bottom of the ladder and, unfortunately, the pleasant aroma of Starkweather's alcoholic beverage that saturates his mask is quickly overpowered by the acrid ammonia gas; his suffering begins anew. Øyvind does his best to ignore the effects and immediately lifts and begins hauling the hose towards the entrance of the refrigerated hold.
Spoiler:
Please make five 1d100 rolls for the upcoming rounds of action for Øyvind.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Øyvind drags the end of the coiled hose across the tweendeck, past the aeroplane, into the reefer unit and--deciding that the back of that chamber is better for the airflow--he pulls it to the far end of that compartment, past all of the hanging slabs of meat and past cases and cases of food that are all now covered with a film of liquid ammonia. And nearer to the refrigeration equipment.

Once there, he tests the hose, feeling for any air flow through it, and places his ear to the open end to listen--and does notice that there appears to be a moderate flow of air that is being pushed through from the main deck. A success!

From his location at the back of the reefer hold, Øyvind can hear the hard-running chugging of the refrigeration engine and also the hissing of the broken pipe that Starkweather mentioned. Øyvind can tell that he is very close to that broken equipment, but he also knows that he may be near his physical limits. When he was hauling the hose over here, the effort had caused his respiration and heartrate to increase--not a good thing in the middle of a chamber full of ammonia gas; he was dizzy and could feel the stirrings of a major headache, his lungs and eyes and nostrils were burning and his stomach was starting cramp with nausea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

Job wrote:There he is!

As Father Rucker runs to gather the medical equipment for Professor Moore, he catches sight of Peter Stokely, who appears to be working near the bow of the ship. Peter Stokely was the crewman who had earlier hinted to Father of things going wrong.
Father Rucker decided to delay a little bit, knowing that a moment here or a moment there is not that critical.
He addresses Peter with a low voice and encourages him to speak
You can tell me what you wanted to say son. With the turmoil all over the deck, I will be the only ears for the burden you carry on your soul.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Doctor Greene begins examining Douglas Orgelfinger on the main deck. Doug is unconscious; his pupils are dilated. His skin is red, almost as if he's sunburned. He checks Doug's pulse and finds that his heartbeat is strong, racing, and slightly erratic. The doctor lifts Doug's shirt and places his ear on his back, listening; the man's breathing is rapid, but shallow and has a slight rattle to it. Fluids are streaming from Doug's nose and eyes.

"Alright, let's get this man to the medical lab. I'll need to wash him down and get him on oxygen immediately. His situation is not certain, but James, you may have reached him in time..."

As the doctor looks over at James Starkweather, he sees the Commander slump to the deck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:"I'm a little dizzy and naseous," says Katie, "and I'm probably the fastest runner here. I'll bring the update to the bridge and bring back a reply, and maybe then I'll get to work pumping."
"Very good! Tell the Captain to maintain course and speed and that the ship is in no apparent danger. Fill him in on the details. By the time that you get back--" Professor Moore jumped up and raced towards the railing, and Starkweather.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Katie hurries to Starkweather's side and quickly does an excellent job of aiding and reviving him, lending him her own oxygen mask as he obviously needs it more.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

royya wrote:Father Rucker decided to delay a little bit, knowing that a moment here or a moment there is not that critical.
He addresses Peter with a low voice and encourages him to speak
You can tell me what you wanted to say son. With the turmoil all over the deck, I will be the only ears for the burden you carry on your soul.
Peter Stokely appears quite nervous, looking around to make sure that no one is within earshot.
<Image

With a slight grin, he confides, "We were preparing for the Crossing the Line ceremony, father. We were not allowed to tell you about it." Then his expression becomes serious and he whispers to you, "But there is something else. Many of our crew believe that Commander Starkweather is bad luck."

Job. (the tortured one)
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Job wrote: "But there is something else. Many of our crew believe that Commander Starkweather is bad luck."
And why is that ?
Father Paul Rucker replies
You can't judge it according to the blast at the docks and the ammonia leak right now, do you?
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:
Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind washes his face with wather grabs Starweathers cognac and drinks a mouthful, humidifies his handkerchief and goes down the hatch again 'the hose' 'i must place it in the right place!' and with that he is gone out of sight.
Øyvind arrives at the bottom of the ladder and, unfortunately, the pleasant aroma of Starkweather's alcoholic beverage that saturates his mask is quickly overpowered by the acrid ammonia gas; his suffering begins anew. Øyvind does his best to ignore the effects and immediately lifts and begins hauling the hose towards the entrance of the refrigerated hold.
Spoiler:
Please make five 1d100 rolls for the upcoming rounds of action for Øyvind.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Øyvind drags the end of the coiled hose across the tweendeck, past the aeroplane, into the reefer unit and--deciding that the back of that chamber is better for the airflow--he pulls it to the far end of that compartment, past all of the hanging slabs of meat and past cases and cases of food that are all now covered with a film of liquid ammonia. And nearer to the refrigeration equipment.

Once there, he tests the hose, feeling for any air flow through it, and places his ear to the open end to listen--and does notice that there appears to be a moderate flow of air that is being pushed through from the main deck. A success!

From his location at the back of the reefer hold, Øyvind can hear the hard-running chugging of the refrigeration engine and also the hissing of the broken pipe that Starkweather mentioned. Øyvind can tell that he is very close to that broken equipment, but he also knows that he may be near his physical limits. When he was hauling the hose over here, the effort had caused his respiration and heartrate to increase--not a good thing in the middle of a chamber full of ammonia gas; he was dizzy and could feel the stirrings of a major headache, his lungs and eyes and nostrils were burning and his stomach was starting cramp with nausea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Øyvind hurries back up the hatch.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:Katie hurries to Starkweather's side and quickly does an excellent job of aiding and reviving him, lending him her own oxygen mask as he obviously needs it more.
Starkweather was sitting back against the railing, his face sheened with sweat, one arm draped over the base, staring ahead. He blinked and and furrowed his brow, gazing up confusedly at Katie as she attempted to help him. "The food?"

He seemed to start responding well to Katie's assistance, and then Doctor Greene and Professor Moore were at her side to help get him to his feet. "Come on, James, let's get you to medical," said Greene. As James steadied himself with an arm over each of their shoulders, Katie's eyes were drawn to a scarlet handprint on the deck where he was sitting.

Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

royya wrote:And why is that ?
Father Paul Rucker replies
You can't judge it according to the blast at the docks and the ammonia leak right now, do you?
"No, father. I've been told that bad luck follows him, from before this expedition. And now, this happens."

Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Look!" says Katie, pointing out the handprint. "I think that's blood!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Job wrote:"No, father. I've been told that bad luck follows him, from before this expedition. And now, this happens."
"Share your thoughts son. Tell me what did happened in the past and I assure you that I will handle the problem"
Father Rucker replies and tries to convince the sailor in the "faith way"
But remember this son, there is no such thing as bad luck for a person. Our ways are dictated by god himself"
ooc,Do you need a persuade roll or a fast talk roll?
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

7:20 p.m. (ship time) – Monday 25th September, 1933
U.S.S. Gabrielle's Main Deck

Anatomist wrote:Øyvind hurries back up the hatch.
Øyvind climbs back onto the main deck just in time to see James Starkweather being led away towards the entrance to the Gabrielle's superstructure by Professor Moore and Doctor Greene,and then he hears Katie Wright yell from his left, near the port-side railing; something about blood. Øyvind's eyes and nose and lungs are continuing to burn from his just-completed trip below and he suspects that he'll need a little time to recover before he's able to journey again down into the refrigerated hold.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:"Look!" says Katie, pointing out the handprint. "I think that's blood!"
Doctor Greene turns and looks back at Katie, then down at the blood print, hesitating for a moment, and then turns and hurriedly examines James Starkweather's hands. "Stop," he commands after seeing red on James' right hand, and the doctor quickly begins circling and scanning James' torso and legs, and then freezes as he sees a dark, wet matted patch of hair on the back of Starkweather's head. Greene carefully reaches up to move aside the hair and look at James' scalp.

"William, we have no time to lose. We must get the commander to the Medical Facility now!"

Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd better come with you and assist," says Katie. "Someone else will need to take that message to the bridge." She helps Dr. Greene with Starkweather.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

"You there!" Doctor Greene yells at Gregor and Nils, who both appear to be stunned at the turn of events and standing idle.

"Get that man to the Medical Facility!" Greene gestures at Doug Orgelfinger. He mutters something to himself while turning back to attend to James Starkweather.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

royya wrote:"Share your thoughts son. Tell me what did happened in the past and I assure you that I will handle the problem"
Father Rucker replies and tries to convince the sailor in the "faith way"
But remember this son, there is no such thing as bad luck for a person. Our ways are dictated by god himself"
ooc,Do you need a persuade roll or a fast talk roll?
Peter Stokely shrugs and says, "I don't know, Father. I heard others talking about him. I heard that men have died because of him."
Response from Job,No roll needed Roy. From Father Rucker's questioning, he believes that this is really all that Peter seems to know. [color=#0000FF]EDIT: Roy, having thought a bit about this, please make an idea roll.[/color]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

7:25 p.m. (ship time) – Monday 25th September, 1933
U.S.S. Gabrielle's Medical Room

Moore and Greene hustled Commander Starkweather into the Gabrielle's superstructure, followed by Gregor and Nils carrying Doug Orgelfinger by his arms and legs.
Image Pictured on the left, Nils Sorensen
Image Pictured on the left, Gregor Pulaski

The Medical Facility was getting crowded. Adam Henning appeared to be recovering on one bunk from his exposure to the ammonia gas. Starkweather and Orgelfinger were lain onto the remaining two bunks. Dr. Greene immediately hooked the two new arrivals to oxygen tanks, then rifled through the storage areas and withdrew a sharp razor to start shaving James' head.

Doug began to awaken. His first thoughts were that someone had sandpapered his throat and had thrown acid into his eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Katie helps Dr. Greene as best she can and fetches whatever he requires from storage so that he can treat Starkweather without interruption.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”