CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Panama to Australia

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Re: CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Panama to Australia

Post by Job »

Walking through the mist, around the large fusilage of the aeroplane, Doug sees a rectangular opening leading into the dark refrigerated hold. From within, a high-pitched hissing sound can be heard over the chugging of the refrigerator compressor. Thick vapors roll from the entryway, creeping around the plane and Doug's legs.
OOC,Please describe any precautions and actions that Doug takes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Ewoklord
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Ewoklord »

Doug covers his mouth with a handkerchief, but keeps steadily making his way towards the refrigerated hold.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:6:55 p.m. (ship time) – Monday 25th September, 1933
"I need two volunteers to go down into the refrigerator hold; someone to drag one end of this hose down into it so that we can pump in fresh air. "

'Let me get that hose Mr.Moore'
ooc,Øyvind already made a sucessfull roll on the amonia
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:'Let me get that hose Mr.Moore', said Øyvind.
At Øyvind's offer, James Starkweather stood and pulled his mask up to once again cover his mouth and nose, "Yes, lad! Our ship is on peril! I will lead the way." *cough*

Immediately Dr. Greene and Professor Moore moved forward to protest,
  • "No James! You are in no condition--"
    "Commander! No, I urge you to go--"
"Blast it, men!" Starkweather shouted, "We have no time! I know exactly where that hose needs to be placed." *cough* "I've been through worse..." *cough* "Worse than this in the Great War. I'll be fine." *cough, cough* He waved them away. "Once the air hose is in place, Doctor Greene, I'll come see you in Medical. Come on, Mr. Raknes! We have a job to do." Starkweather moved over the hatch and dropped from sight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote: "Blast it, men!" Starkweather shouted, "We have no time! I know exactly where that hose needs to be placed." *cough* "I've been through worse..." *cough* "Worse than this in the Great War. I'll be fine." *cough, cough* He waved them away. "Once the air hose is in place, Doctor Greene, I'll come see you in Medical. Come on, Mr. Raknes! We have a job to do." Starkweather moved over the hatch and dropped from sight.

Job. (the tortured one)

Øyvind promptly followed Starkweather into the hatch dragging the hose with him.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

7:00 p.m. (ship time) – Monday 25th September, 1933
Ewoklord wrote:Doug covers his mouth with a handkerchief, but keeps steadily making his way towards the refrigerated hold.
The blackended entry to the reefer looks like the opening to a crypt. The closer that Doug gets to the doorway, the more deathly the chill and thicker the mist. In spite of his handkerchief, he senses the pungent poisonous gas beginning to burn his airways. Doug knows that he will only have a minute or less to find the pump's on/off switch inside the hold.
For Doug,In fact, once he's within the hold, your character must make a constitution check every 10 seconds, the ammonia mist is that potent. Please let me know how Doug will deal with the dark room, which direction he will move, and what he will be looking for. Good luck. You are a brave man, Mr. Orgelfinger.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:Øyvind promptly followed Starkweather into the hatch dragging the hose with him.
James Starkweather slides down the length of the ladder, hitting the tweendeck flooring with a thud and sits down hard, grunting. Scrambling back to his feet, he reaches up and grabs the end of the hose that Øyvind was dangling from above. Øyvind was standing in the middle of the ladder and pulling the hose down from the main deck, feeding it to James to coil it onto the deck. "That's it, lad! Keep it coming!"

After furiously pulling and piling the hose for a brief time, he says to Øyvind,"That should be enough." *cough, cough* "Come down and let's get this python to its pit!"

While Øyvind descended, James quickly pulls a flask from his pocket, uncorks it, and splashes the contents on the outside of his cloth face mask. Starkweather offers the flask to Øyvind, "It's finely-aged brandy, Mr. Raknes. *cough* "It'll help with the ammonia smell. I had been saving it for a.... *cough* "...a special occasion. I would say that this is just such an occasion..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Ewoklord
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Ewoklord »

Douglas curses his lack of foresight when he didn't bring along a flashlight of some kind, and heads toward the far end of the room, arm groping about for anything remotely shaped like a valve.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote: After furiously pulling and piling the hose for a brief time, he says to Øyvind,"That should be enough." *cough, cough* "Come down and let's get this python to its pit!"

While Øyvind descended, James quickly pulls a flask from his pocket, uncorks it, and splashes the contents on the outside of his cloth face mask. Starkweather offers the flask to Øyvind, "It's finely-aged brandy, Mr. Raknes. *cough* "It'll help with the ammonia smell. I had been saving it for a.... *cough* "...a special occasion. I would say that this is just such an occasion..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Øyvind splashes some of the cognac on his handkerchief and looking quite heroic nods to Starkweather and says 'Lets go boss' moving forward.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Ewoklord wrote:Douglas curses his lack of foresight when he didn't bring along a flashlight of some kind, and heads toward the far end of the room, arm groping about for anything remotely shaped like a valve.
For Doug,Actually, Doug does have a flashlight. [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=212&t=2941&start=120#p126823]Professor Moore gave one to him[/url] just prior to him climbing down the ladder. Using it will certainly be better than walking around in the dark, however beamed lights may not be as much help as you'd expect when shining then into mists and fog. :twisted:
Doug moves forward and finds himself bumping into large carcasses that bounce and rebound to shove him backwards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Ewoklord
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Ewoklord »

Startled by the swinging carcasses, without thinking Douglas quickly turns on his flashlight. He then smacks his palm into his forehead after realizing that he did in fact have a flashlight. He turns left, hoping for the best.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Doug finds that the beam from his electric torch sets up such a glow from within the ammonia mist that he's only able to see a foot or two in front of him. Everything is hazy and indistinct. Immediately in front of him, he sees the large frozen meat carcasses that he bumped into, hanging from the ceiling. On his left and right, just inside the doorway, he sees the outline of stacks of wooden crates.

Moving left, he follows the stacks of crates for approximately ten feet into a corner. Dozens of large cloth sacks, possibly full of grain, are neatly piled in that space. Doug's eyes are watering profusely, blurring his vision. At the corner, he turns ninety degrees right and gropes along a row of shelving that is laden with boxes along the wall. He begins to have difficulty breathing, sensing that the acute burning in his lungs may be increasing in intensity.

It's difficult to tell from within the packed hold, but the sounds of the pump and the hissing pipe do not seem to be any louder than when he was at the entrance to the reefer.
For Doug,OK, it's time to make another 1d100 constitution check. Please make 5 rolls so that I may continue describing past a few checks for the storyline where it makes sense.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Ewoklord
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Ewoklord »

OOC,Okay, here's my checks. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3466538/ Well, that doesn't look good.
Douglas tries (and evidently fails) to head in the opposite direction, so, to the right.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

7:05 p.m. (ship time) – Monday 25th September, 1933
Ewoklord wrote:
OOC,Okay, here's my checks. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3466538/ Well, that doesn't look good.
Douglas tries (and evidently fails) to head in the opposite direction, so, to the right.
Trouble for Doug,Based on your first roll of 98 versus your CON X 5 check, Doug is in serious trouble... Based on your second roll of 87 versus his CON X 5 of 85, Doug failed a second time. [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=212&t=2941&start=100#p125958]Here[/url] is where I posted the Constitution check rule. And it looks like Doug is a smoker! [img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7209/6921959321_7fe9ba5262.jpg[/img]
Doug's nasal passage and lungs felt as though he had inhaled acid. His coughing became so extreme and uncontrollable that he was forced to his knees and, unfortunately, he spasmed to gulp in more air--and ammonia--with each wracking hack. He could no longer open his eyes due to the sharp pain in his nose but attempted to crawl back the way that he came.

After struggling forward only a few movements, the vomiting started. And he could go no further...

Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Starkweather retrieves the flask from Øyvind, returns it to his back pocket,then says, "Alright lad, let's get..." He stops, midsentence, listening. "I think that I hear someone down here! A coughing..." Starkweather continues listening (and coughed once himself), then suddenly sprints into the mist towards the reefer hold, around the aeroplane, yelling, "They're in trouble! Mr. Raknes! Bring the doctor!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:"They're in trouble! Mr. Raknes! Bring the doctor!"
'Yes Sir!' Øyvind leaps into movement and up the hatch.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:'Yes Sir!' Øyvind leaps into movement and up the hatch.
SS Gabrielle's Main Deck
Øyvind arrives on deck to see a group of crewmen huddled over the now-uncrated hand pump and the fire hose, feverishly attempting to get them connected. Scanning the group, Øyvind spots Dr. Greene.

Tweendeck Hold Number Four
James Starkweather stared at the roiling ammonia fog in the refrigerated hold's entryway and steeled himself for the dangerous events to come, then plunged into it. He had no idea in which direction the crewman was located, so he stopped for a moment to look around and listen. There! A glow of light on the left! He ran down the aisle on the left, turning at the corner, squinting and blinking through his tears, straining to see anything through the thick vapors. Yes. The electric torch-glow is brighter and very close.

James' own coughing, however, was rapidly becoming worse. He knew that he hadn't much time--but if he was right, he knew that neither did his crewman!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Refrigerated Hold - off tweendeck Hold Number Four

James cautiously crept forward in the fog until he saw the lumpy silhouette of a body at his feet, outlined by the electric torch. He crouched down and heard the man's raspy, labored breathing. Good, he's still alive. James reached under the man's arms and attempted to lift the body, straining mightily, but found that he was unable to do so. Damn! I'll have to drag him, he thought to himself.

He grabbed the crewman's wrists and began to pull the body along the floor, back towards the refrigerator hold's entrance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:'Yes Sir!' Øyvind leaps into movement and up the hatch.
SS Gabrielle's Main Deck
Øyvind arrives on deck to see a group of crewmen huddled over the now-uncrated hand pump and the fire hose, feverishly attempting to get them connected. Scanning the group, Øyvind spots Dr. Greene.
'Dr.Greene! You must come with me, immediately!'
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

7:10 p.m. (ship time) – Monday 25th September, 1933
U.S.S. Gabrielle's Main Deck
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind spots Dr. Greene. 'Dr.Greene! You must come with me, immediately!'
Greene looks up at Øyvind and, seeing the intense look of concern on his face, he quickly stands and moves towards Øyvind, replying, "Yes Øyvind, what is it? Is someone in trouble?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”