CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Panama to Australia

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Panama to Australia

Post by royya »

Being the first one to help Henning, Father Rucker helps Watkins as much as he can, even carrying the man to the clinic.
Job wrote:Henning was coughing horrifically, but he looked up at Øyvind while blinking and wiping at his eyes, managing to respond, "Just... just me..." *cough, cough* Henning spit out a gob of white phlegm.

"I... I was getting... food..." Adam was then overwhelmed with a paroxysm of retching.
What happened down there when you opened the door to the refrigerator?
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Túrin Turambar
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by Túrin Turambar »

James turns to Douglas. "Help me carry her to the doctor. I think that he and the Father went that way with the sick steward", he says and points in that direction.
Ewoklord
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Ewoklord »

Douglas steadies Katie, and rushes off in the direction that James pointed, off towards the doctor.
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by Job »

6:40 p.m. (ship time) – Monday 25th September, 1933
Seon wrote:"We've got injured coming up. Make some GODDAMN WAY!" Ernest shouted as he shoved a crew member out of the way of the person carrying the afflicted man.
Túrin Turambar wrote:If Ernest has managed to clear the way, James starts going up the ladder, carrying Katie. He shouts "Clear the way on the ladder! Don't come down!" and tries all he can not to breathe in too deeply after shouting.
At Ernest's and James Poole's urgings, one sailor leapt a few feet down from the ladder to the tweendeck floor, landing spryly. Other's yelled and pushed each other to clear a path up to the main deck. James had a bit of difficulty in climbing the ladder while carrying Katie because he became somewhat winded with the exertion and was forced to inhale more of the ammonia gas, and he started to cough and become dizzy. But when he neared the top of the ladder, a number of crewmen lifted Katie from his shoulder and a moment later James was able to reach the fresher air above.

Mr. Handy wrote:Katie coughs and splutters, desperate for fresh air and feeling utterly useless.
Túrin Turambar wrote: James turns to Douglas. "Help me carry her to the doctor. I think that he and the Father went that way with the sick steward", he says and points in that direction.
Ewoklord wrote:Douglas steadies Katie, and rushes off in the direction that James pointed, off towards the doctor.
Dr. Greene arrives on deck and immediately rushes to the stricken aviator who is being assisted by James and Douglas; he enlists their help to move Katie to the rail where the fresh air would help, and close to where Dr. Watkins was tending to Adam Henning. Dr. Greene then carefully examined Katie's eyes and airways, and put his ear to her back to listen to her breathing--along with her coughing.

After a few minutes of sitting in the direct ocean breeze, Katie's coughing subsided somewhat, but she continued to feel burning in her lungs and nose and a strong sense of nausea. Doctor Green kept close eye on her, then declared, "She'll be alright, but we need to get her to the medical lab so that she can lie down and receive oxygen. Douglas, would you help her down to the medical area off the Ship's Mess? I'll continue to help here, and I'll be along shortly."
Seon wrote:"You!" he said, grabbing ahold of another sailor. "We wouldn't be as lucky as stocking gas masks and diving equipment in this ship, right? If not, grab some sponges! We can use it as a filter."
At the hatchway on the main deck, a sailor arrived with a large bucket of water and began handing out wet rags to tie around one's mouth along with wet sponges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," Katie manages to croak weakly, breathing as much clean air as she can.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:'Starkweather! Moore! Do we have some pumps that can pump air?! We MUST disipate this fog as fast we can!' 'Øyvind! you mind help getting the equipment if it exists?' with that George turn to see after the Sorensen brothers and the hose, ready to help Adam Henning wash of the ammonia.
Professor Moore heard his name called and came over to George to discuss the problem, "We have hand pumps in the bosun's stores off tweendeck hold number one. They're mainly for pumping water, but we should be able to use them to pump air through a hose as well. Follow me!" Moore ran towards the bow of the ship, then suddenly stopped and looked at Øyvind and George.

"Where is Commander Starkweather?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

royya wrote:Being the first one to help Henning, Father Rucker helps Watkins as much as he can, even carrying the man to the clinic.
Job wrote:Henning was coughing horrifically, but he looked up ... while blinking and wiping at his eyes, managing to respond,"I... I was getting... food..."
What happened down there when you opened the door to the refrigerator?
As Doctor Watkins and Father Rucker helped Adam Henning to the medical facility, Adam began breathing a bit easier and said, "I was getting food for the party. *cough* I unlocked the reefer and it was full of the gas. When I opened the hatch, it spread into the tweenhold. I tried to go in to see if I could fix the problem, but... *cough* It was too thick. My eyes were burning. I couldn't see."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Ewoklord
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Ewoklord »

Job wrote: After a few minutes of sitting in the direct ocean breeze, Katie's coughing subsided somewhat, but she continued to feel burning in her lungs and nose and a strong sense of nausea. Doctor Green kept close eye on her, then declared, "She'll be alright, but we need to get her to the medical lab so that she can lie down and receive oxygen. Douglas, would you help her down to the medical area off the Ship's Mess? I'll continue to help here, and I'll be along shortly."
"Sure," Doug responds, happy at being useful aboard the ship. Heading down towards the medical area, he attempts small talk. "So, uh ammonia. That's weird."
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

"Dr Moore!" Ernest gasped towards him. "I saw some idiot run into the fridge before I helped Katie away from the ammonia... He was without any protection and it's highly likely that he breathed in dangerous amount of Ammonia by now..."

"Do you think that person could be... I think we need to go grab him before he hurts himself."
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:'Starkweather! Moore! Do we have some pumps that can pump air?! We MUST disipate this fog as fast we can!' 'Øyvind! you mind help getting the equipment if it exists?' with that George turn to see after the Sorensen brothers and the hose, ready to help Adam Henning wash of the ammonia.
Professor Moore heard his name called and came over to George to discuss the problem, "We have hand pumps in the bosun's stores off tweendeck hold number one. They're mainly for pumping water, but we should be able to use them to pump air through a hose as well. Follow me!" Moore ran towards the bow of the ship, then suddenly stopped and looked at Øyvind and George.

"Where is Commander Starkweather?"

Job. (the tortured one)
Øyvind hailed Dr.Moore looked around and saw the crew he needed 'Enke Fiskarson, Gregor Pulaski, Gregor Snabjorn' 'come with us!'
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Ewoklord wrote:
Job wrote:Douglas, would you help [Katie] down to the medical area off the Ship's Mess? I'll continue to help here, and I'll be along shortly."
"Sure," Doug responds, happy at being useful aboard the ship. Heading down towards the medical area, he attempts small talk. "So, uh ammonia. That's weird."
A short time later, Doug and Katie complete their trip from the main deck and enter the medical facility, which is empty. Dr. Greene rushes in after a few more minutes and moves quickly to help Katie lie down, then fits her with a mask and a small tank of oxygen. After confirming that Katie is comfortable, he and Doug dash back to the main deck.

Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seon wrote:"Dr Moore!" Ernest gasped towards him. "I saw some idiot run into the fridge before I helped Katie away from the ammonia... He was without any protection and it's highly likely that he breathed in dangerous amount of Ammonia by now..."

"Do you think that person could be... I think we need to go grab him before he hurts himself."
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind hailed Dr.Moore looked around and saw the crew he needed 'Enke Fiskarson, Gregor Pulaski, Gregor Snabjorn' 'come with us!'
Moore hesitates for a moment, then says, "James is a resourceful individual, so I must assume that he'll be fine. Right now we need to get that pump set up! Follow me!"

He races over to the hatch to Tweendeck number one and temporarily fumbles with his keys, then finds the correct one and unlocks the access, quickly clambering down the ladder and snapping on the cluster lights. Set into the far wall was a large sliding wooden hatch secured by a heavy padlock which Moore runs to and unlocks. He slides open the door, revealing a dim compartment filled with crates and equipment. He darts into a small aisle, then grunts and emerges a short time later rolling a large wooden reel of canvas hose. "Here, Enke and Øyvind! Get this on deck. Ernest, Gregor, wait one moment...,"

The professor prods sacks and shoves boxes until finally exclaiming, "Ah! Here! Help me with this, Ernest." He is wrestling with a two-foot by three-foot wooden crate.

Job. (the tortured one)
taokan
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by taokan »

Camille scrubbed her freshly shorn hair from her face and cursed bitterly, glaring down at the ladder below as she hurried to catch up with Moore, Øyvind,Ernest and their posse of crewmen. Starkweather always insisted on being the center of attention, didn't he? Well, she hoped he'd accomplished whatever fool errand had brought him down that far, because she certainly wasn't going to go get him. The fact of the matter was, if she went down after him --assuming that, by some sort of minor miracle, she found him at all-- she simply wasn't capable of lifting a man of his size at all, let alone carrying that amount of dead weight of several ladders. No. She would be of more use here, helping set up the hoses. So that was what she did, hovering at the men's backs, fingers itching to get to work.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

When Katie has recovered sufficiently to speak, she manages a smile. "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread, I suppose," she says to Douglas. "I'm stronger than I look, strong enough to carry a man, and I move very quickly too. I'm also very hardy, so I figured I would be well suited to go down into that hold to rescue whoever might be there. Instead I ended up being the one who needed rescuing."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

taokan wrote:Camille scrubbed her freshly shorn hair from her face and cursed bitterly, glaring down at the ladder below as she hurried to catch up with Moore, Øyvind,Ernest and their posse of crewmen. Starkweather always insisted on being the center of attention, didn't he? Well, she hoped he'd accomplished whatever fool errand had brought him down that far, because she certainly wasn't going to go get him. The fact of the matter was, if she went down after him --assuming that, by some sort of minor miracle, she found him at all-- she simply wasn't capable of lifting a man of his size at all, let alone carrying that amount of dead weight of several ladders. No. She would be of more use here, helping set up the hoses. So that was what she did, hovering at the men's backs, fingers itching to get to work.
Pictured above, Enke Fiskarson, dog wrangler and hose hauler

Enke and Øyvind tied a rope around the reel of hose, then Enke climbled to the main deck to haul it up while Øyvind pushed from below. With Camille's help and a lot of shoving, pulling, and grunting, they hauled it up through the hatch and then rolled it across the main deck to the area above tweendeck #4.

It wasn't long after that Ernest and Gregor shuffled towards them, huffing and puffing, with the obviously-heavy crated pump. Professor Moore hovered closely behind, provided helpful instructions, "Careful lads! Watch out for that railing. You there, make way for these men!"

Pictured above, Gregor Pulaski, sled team chief and pump porter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

As Professor Moore and Ernest began frantically opening the crated pump, a lone figure climbed from the tweendeck hatch. A white cloth covered his mouth and nose. His shirt was torn in half. He appeared barely able to see; his eyes were watering profusely and he wiped at them continually.

"Gawd blimey!" *cough* "Refrigeration system is buggered! *cough* "Damaged pipe. I found it!" *cough* "Spraying room and our food!" *cough, cough* "I have to..." *cough* "...to reach it!"

The man doubled over, wracked with a fit of coughing, and Moore rushed to help him.
**OOC,[color=#00BF00]**My mad 3D graphics skillz[/color]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

6:55 p.m. (ship time) – Monday 25th September, 1933

Doctor Greene arrived back on the scene within that minute and immediately began examining the masked individual, looking directly into his eyes and asking, "Commander! Are you alright?"

James Starkweather continued violently coughing, although he managed to pull the cloth away from his face and nodded his head affirmatively for the physician. He reeked of ammonia.

With a look of concern, Doctor Green urged, "Commander Starkweather, we need to get you to the medical lab."

"Wait!, barked Professor Moore. "James! The broken pipe. Where is the break?"

James Starkweather was only able to speak a few raspy words at a time and his every breath was labored. He also could not keep his irritated eyes open, blinking and wiping at a constant flow of tears.
  • "Left...

"Left side...

"Back of...

"Pump."
Professor Moore said, "I can handle connecting our handpump to the hose." He then looked around at the gathered crew members. "I need two volunteers to go down into the refrigerator hold; someone to drag one end of this hose down into it so that we can pump in fresh air. And a different someone to go down into that hold to shut off the refrigeration pump; from what James said, I suspect that may be our only way to stop the spraying of ammonia."
PC Locations,[b]With Professor Moore, on the main deck at the top of the hatchway:[/b] [list][*]Camille Bardier [*]George Barrow [*]James Poole [*]Øyvind Raknes [*]Ernest Roosevelt [*]Douglas Orgelfinger - returned to the main deck with Dr. Greene[/list][b]In the Medical Lab:[/b] [list][*]Katie Wright - convalescing [*]Father Rucker - arriving with Adam Henning [*]Doctor Watkins - arriving with Adam Henning[/list]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Ewoklord
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Ewoklord »

"I volunteer to go down into the refrigerator hold!" Douglas quickly said.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Ewoklord wrote:"I volunteer to go down into the refrigerator hold!" Douglas quickly said.
Professor Moore nods to Doug, saying, "Thank you, Doug. Since you're more likely than others to recognize a problem with the chemical system, I'd like you to make your way into that hold and shut down the refrigeration pump. James said that the leak is on the left; that's where you'll find the compressor and piping. I would not ask this of you if it were not of the utmost importance. All of our food is being contaminated. I'll finish connecting the hand pump and will send someone down ASAP with the hose to pump in fresh air, but we have no time to waste.

"Be sure to return immediately if you find yourself in trouble. No heroics. Here is an electric torch. Please be careful."
The professor hands Doug a flashlight.

As Doug climbs down into the tweendeck hold, he immediately notices that the smell of ammonia is much more concentrated than above on the main deck, and his eyes begin to water. Shadows dance about as the cluster lights sway to and fro, and the fog of ammonia prevents Doug from seeing very far beyond the large, stowed aeroplane.
OOC,Please make a 1d100 roll versus your CON X 5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Ewoklord
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Ewoklord »

OOC,[url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3457780/[/url]. There's my roll, my CONx5 is 85, so I believe I succeeded. What do I do from here?

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”