Page 1 of 1

OOC: CHAPTER 5 - At Sea

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:44 pm
by Job
This thread is for all side discussions and rolling of dice for the In Character thread of Chapter 5 - At Sea.

Since I expect that there will be LOTS of classes offered during our sea voyage, and LOTS of dice rolling, I've been pondering ways to make this travel thread easier to follow, and I think that I've hit upon a way to do this.

Here is a link to the Synopsis for the Chapter 5 IC thread. In this synopsis thread, you'll find an index to each day's/week's schedules of classes, and also an index of everyone's dice rolls for skill increases. The class schedules will be posted by Prof. Moore in the IC thread, and the OOC thread will hold the die results, so I thought it best to provide links to everything in the Synopsis.

As a general note regarding skills increases:
  • Each class offered by the expedition NPCs offers the opportunity to improve one or more skills. During this portion/chapter of our campaign, I am ruling that our skill increases will differ slightly from the standard CoC rules. Normally, according to the CoC training rules, a character must take a class for 6 months to increase their skill by 1d10.
  • For chapter 5 of this campaign: to gain a chance to increase one's skill, the character who's taking the class must have a skill level that is lower than that of the instructor
  • For chapter 5 of this campaign: the first day of class has a chance to increase a character's skill. After that, a character must attend one week'’s worth of a particular lesson to have a chance to improve that skill(s). I’ll keep track of how many days you each have been to a particular lesson, so you can shift and mix classes day by day, if you'd like.
  • If any of you want to run classes of your own, or help one of the NPCs to run theirs then I’ll find a suitable reward in place of the skill boosts. You just need to mention it to Moore, then chalk yourself up on the chalkboard that morning. (ie make a post or PM me).
  • The classes only run for an hour or two each, so you can attend several in the same day if you want, or enjoy some free time. The same classes won’t be running every day, but each class will run several times.

Re: CHAPTER 5: OOC - At Sea

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:26 pm
by Job
CHARACTER ROLLS for September 12th Classes

MORNING CLASS: Sykes (81% Polar Survival) / Introduction to cold-weather clothes and equipment / Officer's Mess
STUDENT: George Barrow: Die roll for Polar Survival skill increase = 51 SUCCESS! George's Polar Survival skill increases by 1% ***I've updated his sheet- Job.

MORNING CLASS: J Rucker / Antarctic Paleobiology / Ship's Mess
TEACHER CREDIT: Father P.J. Rucker - After each full week of teaching, Father Rucker will get to roll to increase either his Persuade or Listen skill

AFTERNOON CLASS: G & N Sorensen (85% Climb) / Technical Climbing / Crew's Mess
STUDENT: Father P.J. Rucker Die roll for Climb skill increase = 94 SUCCESS! Fr. Rucker's Climb skill increases by 1% ***I've updated his sheet --Job.

AFTERNOON CLASS: E Fiskarson / Boxing Fundamentals (last one standing takes on James Starkweather) / Main Deck Fore
STUDENT: Øyvind Raknes

EVENING CLASS: Ø Raknes & F Guerini / Mountain Rules / Ship's Mess
***This class can be used to increase one of the following skills: Drive Dogsled or Polar Survival or Tracking
TEACHER CREDIT: Øyvind Raknes - After each full week of teaching, Øyvind will get to roll to increase either his Persuade or Listen skill
STUDENT: Father P.J. Rucker Die roll for Polar Survival skill increase = 25 SUCCESS! Fr. Rucker's Polar Survival skill increases by 1% ***I've updated his sheet --Job.

EVENING CLASS: D Halperin (87% Navigate) & C Bardier / Aerial Navigation / Expedition Lab
TEACHER CREDIT: Camille Bardier - After each full week of teaching, Camille will get to roll to increase either her Persuade or Listen skill
STUDENT: Øyvind Raknes: Die roll for Navigate skill = 92 SUCCESS! Øyvind's Navigate skill increases by 1%. ***I've updated his sheet- Job.

Sept 12 Die Rolls for Oyvind and George

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:16 pm
by Job

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:38 am
by royya
Climb Polar Survival(1d100=94, 1d100=25)

Climb Polar Survival - both [Success]

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:05 pm
by Job
Die rolls for both Oyvind and Fr. Rucker (in the above two posts) have been accounted for.

Job.

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:33 pm
by Job
Hello Anatomist,

I'm considering how to play out the boxing matches in chapter 5 with Øyvind and the other crew members (eventually James Starkweather). I think that we have 3 main options to consider, and I'm leaning towards either option 2 or 3. We would use nonlethal damage for all boxing matches.

1. LOW DETAIL: We can do it all in very abstract terms - one die roll per match. For example, we compare a die roll for Øyvind's melee attack against a die roll for his opponent and whoever wins the roll, wins the match. This would be quick, and I could make up some description of the fight, but it would not be very detailed or satisfying, I don't think.

2. MEDIUM DETAIL: We can simulate a boxing match with the standard combat rules, using nonlethal damage, blow-by-blow. This would take some time, and would be more detailed than option 1, so we could describe out actions in an IC thread. To make sure that we don't spend months playing this out, I'd suggest one melee attack roll and one block roll per combatant per boxing round. For example, For round 1 Øyvind rolls for his melee and block, and his opponent rolls for his melee and block, and we compare the rolls, then describe some things in the IC thread.

3. HIGH DETAIL: We use slightly modified CoC rules that allow for called shots to the head, stomach, or kidneys
  • Head - minus 20% to hit, successful hit = chance to hit again, full damage = chance to stun
  • Stomach - normal melee chance to hit, successful hit = chance to hit again
  • Kidneys - normal melee chance to hit, successful hit = chance to hit again
Similar to option 2, we roll one melee and one block roll per combatant per boxing round, then compare. This option allows us to pick an area to hit and might be fun to describe in the IC thread.

Your thoughts?
Job.

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:00 pm
by Anatomist
Ha! Nice one.
Let me see. I like option 2 the best. For once i would like it to go quicker then 3 and still retain some good IC stuff.
Now... If i could suggest... and this is applicable to 3 a swell and make it my favorite :)
Make the mechanics be like this. Each player makes 3 rolls for melee compare them

Code: Select all

1      2      3
PC1: Success  Not   Not -attacking
PC2: Success  Success Not -defending
On the first its a draw on the second one of them hit in the third is a draw. The player gets to act out 3 moves playing one of the to hit and describe it.

Example: "Øyvind mesearued his openent taking two quick step towards PC2, going for the kidneys, punching two blows wich PC2 blocked, seeing the opening to the head punching him firmly over the ear"

Instead of making a hit of head be 20%, make all the first hits even, but if the player has tree hits (winning the 3 Success rollss) each hit make more dmg then the last. say dmg +1 for the second hit, and dmg +3 (+4 for head) for the third. First hit is normal dmg.

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:37 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Ha! Nice one.
Let me see. I like option 2 the best. For once i would like it to go quicker then 3 and still retain some good IC stuff.
Now... If i could suggest... and this is applicable to 3 a swell and make it my favorite :)
Make the mechanics be like this. Each player makes 3 rolls for melee compare them

Code: Select all

1      2      3
PC1: Success  Not   Not -attacking
PC2: Success  Success Not -defending
On the first its a draw on the second one of them hit in the third is a draw. The player gets to act out 3 moves playing one of the to hit and describe it.

Example: "Øyvind mesearued his openent taking two quick step towards PC2, going for the kidneys, punching two blows wich PC2 blocked, seeing the opening to the head punching him firmly over the ear"

Instead of making a hit of head be 20%, make all the first hits even, but if the player has tree hits (winning the 3 Success rollss) each hit make more dmg then the last. say dmg +1 for the second hit, and dmg +3 (+4 for head) for the third. First hit is normal dmg.
OK, we agree to go with option 2, keeping things simple, but adding a little more detailed dice rolling to assist in our IC writing. I'll suggest a compromise between our proposals:

1) Each character rolls the dice three times for three hand-to-hand attacks per boxing round, and we compare the sets of attack rolls, 1st roll versus 1st roll, 2nd roll versus 2nd roll, and 3rd roll versus 3rd roll.
  • If both players succeed in a compared attack roll, then that set is a draw and the successful attacks cancel each other, and no damage is done.
  • If both players fail their attack rolls, then neither player made a successful attack and nothing happens.
  • If one player succeeds and the other fails, then the successful player lands a punch on his/her opponent.
It's possible for both players to land punches during a round.

2) For every successfully landed punch, the character rolls for non-lethal hand-to-hand damage as per their character sheet. When reduced to 0 HP, a character is knocked down and cannot resume the fight, but is not knocked out.

3) Knock-out Attack (as per CoC rules, page 60: More Spot Rules for Combat) - For any landed punch, roll for damage as in an ordinary attack, but match the result against the target's HP on the resistance table. A success knocks the target unconscious for several minutes. If the attack succeeds but the resistance table check does not, then there is no knock-out, and the target takes full rolled damage.

4) The player or Keeper that landed the highest number of punches--or scored the knock-out--is granted the right to post the description for that boxing round. If there is a tie, then the player and keeper each roll a d100 and the highest score writes the blow-by-blow description for that boxing round.

Anatomist, are you OK with this? I like them. :)
Job.

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:08 am
by Anatomist
I Agree.

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:04 pm
by Job
Hey, are you players able to view the google map of our voyage? Is it worth my time to post our route in this fashion, or should I instead edit a jpeg map?

Here is a link to the google map

Job.

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:58 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Hey, are you players able to view the google map of our voyage? Is it worth my time to post our route in this fashion, or should I instead edit a jpeg map?

Here is a link to the google map

Job.
Confirming I can see the blue line between the dots. Its working over here.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:54 am
by Mr. Handy
I can see it just fine, and I do like the map.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:29 pm
by royya
I can see the map.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:05 pm
by Job
Thanks everyone! I'll keep generating the Google map.

BTW, today I have a lot of raking of leaves to do in RL, so we'll see if I can carve out some time later today to write. Once I finish raking leaves, I may spend my time tonight adding detail to our "Key NPC's" topic in the reference section. That topic area needs some work (i.e. photos, descriptions, and links to previous activities) and I expect that it will prove very helpful to you folks in the coming months.

Job.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:58 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Thanks everyone! I'll keep generating the Google map.

BTW, today I have a lot of raking of leaves to do in RL, so we'll see if I can carve out some time later today to write. Once I finish raking leaves, I may spend my time tonight adding detail to our "Key NPC's" topic in the reference section. That topic area needs some work (i.e. photos, descriptions, and links to previous activities) and I expect that it will prove very helpful to you folks in the coming months YEARS.

Job.
Fixt it.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:56 am
by BenTheRat
Back, I can see the map. Looks great.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:09 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Fixt it.
Oh, now THAT got me laughing! And afraid. :o It will be a long--and very interesting--campaign...

Job.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:00 am
by Job
BenTheRat wrote:Back, I can see the map. Looks great.
Welcome back, Martin! ;) Thanks for letting me know about the map; I'll definitely continue using that tool.

Job.

Boxing match, round 1

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:55 am
by Job
Hello Anatomist,

During our first round
Tommy missed his first punch, but Øyvind hit (roll of 43, under his fist/punch skill of 50%), so Øyvind's punch successfully landed.
Tommy hit on his second punch, and so did Øyvind, so they canceled each other out.
Tommy hit on his third punch, but Øyvind missed, so Tommy's punch successfully landed.

Therefore, Tommy and Øyvind each hit with one punch, a tie.
Here's my roll of 71 to see if I get to describe the round's action
You have to roll over a 71 on a d100 for you to describe the round. (I'm assuming you have to roll greater than me) :)

Job.

Re: Boxing match, round 1

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:18 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Hello Anatomist,

During our first round
Tommy missed his first punch, but Øyvind hit (roll of 43, under his fist/punch skill of 50%), so Øyvind's punch successfully landed.
Tommy hit on his second punch, and so did Øyvind, so they canceled each other out.
Tommy hit on his third punch, but Øyvind missed, so Tommy's punch successfully landed.

Therefore, Tommy and Øyvind each hit with one punch, a tie.
Here's my roll of 71 to see if I get to describe the round's action
You have to roll over a 71 on a d100 for you to describe the round. (I'm assuming you have to roll greater than me) :)

Job.
Rolled 5 for Øyvinds describe roll (1d100=5)

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:43 am
by Job
Thanks Anatomist!

I'll post a description of the round tomorrow. By the way, I posted a picture of Tommy Lopez for you in the IC thread. :)

QUESTION: Did Oyvind do 5 hp of nonlethal damage with the punch that he landed? I thought that I saw you post that the other day, but can't find the link. I'll roll for Tommy's nonlethal damage tomorrow as well (and you'll see the roll).

Thanks,
Job.

Tommy Lopez's damage roll, round 1

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:00 am
by Job
Tommy Lopez did 4 HP of nonlethal damage to Øyvind. I've edited your character sheet.

Knock-out attempt = d100 roll on resistance table (attacker's damage vs. target's HP) = 4 damage vs. Øyvind's 15hp = not possible.

For his successful punch, Øyvind Raknes will get a d100 roll to improve his skill at the end of this fight.

Job.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:24 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Thanks Anatomist!

I'll post a description of the round tomorrow. By the way, I posted a picture of Tommy Lopez for you in the IC thread. :)

QUESTION: Did Oyvind do 5 hp of nonlethal damage with the punch that he landed? I thought that I saw you post that the other day, but can't find the link. I'll roll for Tommy's nonlethal damage tomorrow as well (and you'll see the roll).

Thanks,
Job.
5 was non lethal i think....... you cant find the roll as i deleted the post

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:12 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:
Job wrote:Thanks Anatomist!

QUESTION: Did Øyvind do 5 hp of nonlethal damage with the punch that he landed? I thought that I saw you post that the other day, but can't find the link. I'll roll for Tommy's nonlethal damage tomorrow as well (and you'll see the roll).

Thanks,
Job.
5 was non lethal i think....... you cant find the roll as i deleted the post
Ok Anatomist, I've applied the 5 HP nonlethal damage to Tommy Lopez.

I've also rolled another three d100 dice for the second round for Tommy Lopez's punches.
Here is the link

Tommy landed his first two punches. Øyvind's turn...

Job.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:18 pm
by Anatomist

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:43 pm
by Job
A tie again!
  • First sequence: Both Tommy and Øyvind landed punches, so this cancels out
    Second sequence: Tommy hit, but Øyvind missed
    Third sequence: Øyvind landed a punch, but Tommy missed.
Since this is a tie, I rolled a d100 for the honor of getting to describe the action, and I rolled an 84!!! Beat that! :twisted:

Job.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:49 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:
A tie again!
  • First sequence: Both Tommy and Øyvind landed punches, so this cancels out
    Second sequence: Tommy hit, but Øyvind missed
    Third sequence: Øyvind landed a punch, but Tommy missed.
Since this is a tie, I rolled a d100 for the honor of getting to describe the action, and I rolled an 84!!! Beat that! :twisted:

Job.
say what?

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:51 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:say what?
Holy Hastur! Nice roll!

You've won the honors to describe the second round of action in the IC thread.

Job.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:55 am
by Job
Even though the Øyvind's and Tommy's boxing match is not yet complete, tomorrow (in RL) I'll be starting the next day's activities on Sept 13th (game time) in the IC thread to keep things moving. This will throw a few things out of sequence, for example the boxing match all occured on Sept 12th, but if we wait to do everything in sequence according to time, then we won't reach Antarctica for a very long time in RL.

To keep the confusion down and to keep the timing somewhat clean, I'm going to start a separate thread for the boxing match and copy in all of the relevent posts (Anatomist, we can continue posting our die rolls in this OOC thread, to keep them all together). And in the future, I'll split off the sporting events and significant activities into separate threads, even though those threads might be completed pretty quickly.

I hope that this makes sense to everyone. Send me a PM if not. And if anyone has any suggestions to improve our game, be sure to either send me a PM or to post comments in the OOC threads. I've already borrowed/stolen a number of ideas from players and other games to make things a bit better, so don't hesitate to let me know your thoughts.

Job.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:46 pm
by royya
Paul Rucker enjoyed the rest of the day, listening to lectures, even the brutal stories of the punks that fought in the boxing ring he heard during break offs.

OOC – waiting for the next day.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:01 am
by Job
This is the damage roll done by Tommy Lopez during the second round. Not very impressive...

Based on Øyvind's current HP = 11, and Tommy's damage of 3 HP for his landed punch, he has a 10% chance to knock Øyvind out.
Ooh! Almost!

Anatomist, based on your 5 HP of nonlethal damage done this round, and Tommy's 10 remaining HP at start of the second round, you have a 15% chance to knock out Tommy. Please roll. :!:

Job.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:08 am
by Job
Just in case Øyvind did not knock Tommy out in the second round, I've rolled Tommy's three punches for the third round.

Here it is! Tommy missed all 3 attempts! It's looking good for Øyvind this round.

Job.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:08 am
by Anatomist

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:39 pm
by Job
Ooh! Øyvind almost knocked out Tommy!

Anatomist, I've already rolled Tommy's round three punches (see last post above from me, all missed...), so please roll for Øyvind's third round.

Job.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:23 pm
by Anatomist

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:40 am
by Job
Hello Anatomist,

Øyvind actually missed with his second punch, but hit with the first and third punches! Roll once more for damage, and he also gets one more chance to knock out Tommy (i.e. 1d100).

Job.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:31 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:
Hello Anatomist,

Øyvind actually missed with his second punch, but hit with the first and third punches! Roll once more for damage, and he also gets one more chance to knock out Tommy (i.e. 1d100).

Job.
Lol i wrote it all backwards.

dmg (1d3+1d4=4)
second nockout atempt (1d100=23)

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:30 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Lol i wrote it all backwards.

dmg (1d3+1d4=4)
second nockout atempt (1d100=23)
Øyvind knocked Tommy out cold in the third round! Nice work!

Job.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:59 pm
by Job
CHARACTER ROLLS for September 13th Classes
NOTE: If I don't see any changes in the OOC or IC threads, then I assume that students continue to attend the same classes from the previous day --Job.

MORNING CLASS: Greene & Watkins / Antarctic First-Aid / Ship's Medical
TEACHER CREDIT: Wade Watkins - 1 day's credit - After each full week of teaching, Father Rucker will get to roll to increase either his Persuade or Listen skill

MORNING CLASS: Sykes (81% Polar Survival) / Introduction to cold-weather clothes and equipment / Officer's Mess
STUDENT: George Barrow: First day's class already rolled for; roll again on Sept 15th (3 days later)

MORNING CLASS: J Rucker / Antarctic Paleobiology / Ship's Mess
TEACHER CREDIT: Father P.J. Rucker - 2 day's credit - After each full week of teaching, Father Rucker will get to roll to increase either his Persuade or Listen skill
STUDENT: James Poole - Biology roll needed for first day of class

AFTERNOON CLASS: G & N Sorensen (85% Climb) / Technical Climbing / Crew's Mess
STUDENT: Father P.J. Rucker - First day's class already rolled for; roll again on Sept 15th (3 days later)
STUDENT: James Poole - Climbing roll needed for first day of class

AFTERNOON CLASS: E Fiskarson / Boxing Fundamentals (last one standing takes on James Starkweather) / Main Deck Fore
STUDENT: Øyvind Raknes - Fist/Hand-to-Hand roll needed at end of boxing matches.

EVENING CLASS: Ø Raknes & F Guerini / Mountain Rules / Ship's Mess
***This class can be used to increase one of the following skills: Drive Dogsled or Polar Survival or Tracking
TEACHER CREDIT: Øyvind Raknes - 2 day's credit - After each full week of teaching, Øyvind will get to roll to increase either his Persuade or Listen skill
STUDENT: Father P.J. Rucker

EVENING CLASS: D Halperin (87% Navigate) & C Bardier / Aerial Navigation / Expedition Lab
TEACHER CREDIT: Camille Bardier - 2 day's credit- After each full week of teaching, Camille will get to roll to increase either her Persuade or Listen skill

EVENING CLASS: Griffith / Antarctic Geology / Officer's Mess
STUDENT: J. Poole - Geology roll needed for first day of class

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:48 am
by Job
Hello Anatomist,

Next up in the boxing matches, Gunnar Sorensen versus Øyvind.

Here is the link for Gunnar's punches 58, 16, 40

Gunnar injured his hand in his last fight, so there may be an advantage for Øyvind... ;)

Job.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:05 am
by Anatomist

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:31 pm
by Job
Hmm.

Uh, Anatomist? To use a skill, your character needs to roll under his % chance, so Øyvind missed every punch since his fist/punch skill = 50%.

However, Gunnar only landed his second punch, so Øyvind was very lucky. Damage to Øyvind = 5 HP (nonlethal), but since two bouts took place between Øyvind's last fight and this one, Øyvind was at full HP having recovered between bouts.

Looking at the resistance table, Gunnar has no chance to knock out Øyvind (5HP damage vs. Øyvind's 15 starting HP).

Since Gunnar won the first round, I get to describe the action. :)

Job.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:05 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Hmm.

Uh, Anatomist? To use a skill, your character needs to roll under his % chance, so Øyvind missed every punch since his fist/punch skill = 50%.

However, Gunnar only landed his second punch, so Øyvind was very lucky. Damage to Øyvind = 5 HP (nonlethal), but since two bouts took place between Øyvind's last fight and this one, Øyvind was at full HP having recovered between bouts.

Looking at the resistance table, Gunnar has no chance to knock out Øyvind (5HP damage vs. Øyvind's 15 starting HP).

Since Gunnar won the first round, I get to describe the action. :)

Job.
Lol sorry, seems i was asleep when i rolled :roll:

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:52 am
by Job
OK Anatomist, it's time for our second round of boxing action between Øyvind and Gunnar Sorensen.

Here are Gunnar's punches! Ouch!

Job.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:02 am
by jrod
If noone else will comment on it, let me be the first to say Steward Adam Henning looks freaky as hell. What is the deal with his eyeballs? ...and one nostril flared but the other isn't?

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:48 pm
by Anatomist
Job. You did see this on page 2, right?
Anatomist wrote:Image
George Barrow will attend the Afternoon class whit G & N Sorensen on Technical Climbing.

And barrow suggest to Mr. Moore he can do a class on life in Antarctica, penguins, sea lions and whales. How do they survive?

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:31 pm
by Job
Ack! Sorry Anatomist. How did I miss that?

OK, so here are the changes that I think I'd need to make:
  • George attends the Sept 14, 15, 16, 17 technical climbing classes
  • George begins teaching the "Antarctica Flora and Fauna" class beginning on Sept 16
Does this sound right?
Job.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:18 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Ack! Sorry Anatomist. How did I miss that?

OK, so here are the changes that I think I'd need to make:
  • George attends the Sept 14, 15, 16, 17 technical climbing classes
  • George begins teaching the "Antarctica Flora and Fauna" class beginning on Sept 16
Does this sound right?
Job.
Never mind the timeline, just make the new class go live after the weekend 18-19.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:54 pm
by Job
Hello Mr. Handy,

That is an excellent photo of your Lockheed airplane!

Hey, regarding your "miss" % roll with your flying manuever, I'm assuming that Katie lost control of the aircraft for a brief period during the climb and will have a skill roll to regain control as the craft begins dropping from it's zenith. If she misses a second time, then I'd say the craft will then enter a fast steep dive and she'd get one last skill check -10% to correct the drop--and parachute out if unsuccessful.

Do you agree or would you handle it differently?

I plan to make a post that responds to your recent one describing Katie's climb (i.e. Gabrielle crew members begin noticing her efforts).

Job.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:50 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thanks!

Sounds about right to me. A single normal failure, especially one that fails so narrowly, shouldn't result in a wreck directly. I'll go ahead and make my next roll.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:07 pm
by Job
Mr. Handy wrote:Sounds about right to me. A single normal failure, especially one that fails so narrowly, shouldn't result in a wreck directly. I'll go ahead and make my next roll.
Nicely done! Geez, and I was hoping that there'd be a ditched airplane and that we'd have an early rescue operation going! Starkweather would've surely had some fun things to say in such an event! ;) Ah well, there'll be plenty of time for that on the ice...

Job.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:19 pm
by Job
So at this point in the game, the Keeper notes that Doctor Watkins interrupts a management meeting...

...and is rewarded by coffee and donuts. And detailed conversation about work.

Ah, life on the high sea!

Job.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:42 am
by royya
Job wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:Sounds about right to me. A single normal failure, especially one that fails so narrowly, shouldn't result in a wreck directly. I'll go ahead and make my next roll.
Nicely done! Geez, and I was hoping that there'd be a ditched airplane and that we'd have an early rescue operation going! Starkweather would've surely had some fun things to say in such an event! ;) Ah well, there'll be plenty of time for that on the ice...

Job.
If someone needs a priest for a prayer for a safe landing next time..

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:54 am
by Job
jrod wrote:If noone else will comment on it, let me be the first to say Steward Adam Henning looks freaky as hell. What is the deal with his eyeballs? ...and one nostril flared but the other isn't?
The "Innsmouth look"? 8-)

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:56 am
by Job
royya wrote:
Job wrote:

Job.
If someone needs a priest for a prayer for a safe landing next time..
Phew! You'll be a busy guy in Antarctica, Padre! :)

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy
Job wrote:

Job.
Thanks! I'm glad I was able to impress Starkweather. Wait until he finds out who was flying the plane. :lol:

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:06 pm
by Job
Mr. Handy wrote:Thanks! I'm glad I was able to impress Starkweather. Wait until he finds out who was flying the plane. :lol:
It will be the stuff of legend. Camille's encounter with Starkweather was VERY fun. I have as much fun with that sort of thing as I do with the monster encounters.

Job.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:03 pm
by jrod
haha anatomist called job evil scum in "oyvind's experience ooc"! That was a cool nightmare scenario

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:23 pm
by Job
jrod wrote:haha anatomist called job evil scum in "oyvind's experience ooc"! That was a cool nightmare scenario
Nightmare? Is it really a nightmare? :shock:

Job.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:50 am
by jrod
Haha..if it isn't a nightmare in a dream-state, it's a nightmare in reality. I just read the additions, i wouldn't have believed it possible, but yes it got freakier! (almost like the short story the autopsy)... 5 points for evil job! :twisted: We're all dooomed!!

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:33 am
by Anatomist
jrod wrote:Haha..if it isn't a nightmare in a dream-state, it's a nightmare in reality. I just read the additions, i wouldn't have believed it possible, but yes it got freakier! (almost like the short story the autopsy)... 5 points for evil job! :twisted: We're all dooomed!!
*hysterical screaming*

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:33 pm
by jrod
Yo, that guy Seon has a hilarious character photo. That cheesy smile makes me think of a 1930's detective on the day he got his license to carry :D

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:48 pm
by Seon
Yup, that's why I chose it.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:23 am
by royya
jrod wrote:Yo, that guy Seon has a hilarious character photo. That cheesy smile makes me think of a 1930's detective on the day he got his license to carry :D
*LIKE*

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:43 pm
by Job
jrod wrote:Yo, that guy Seon has a hilarious character photo. That cheesy smile makes me think of a 1930's detective on the day he got his license to carry :D
Yes, he appears too happy. I'll have to work hard to erase the smile. Perhaps add a touch of frostbite? A wound or two? A missing eyeball? ;)

Job.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:25 pm
by Job
Mr. Handy wrote:[Katie Wright said to Ernest Roosevelt:] "If you want to learn how to fly a plane, I could teach you. It takes a lot of work and a long time, but it's worth it."
Seon wrote:[Ernest responds to Katie:] "Really?" Ernest said. "I'll definitely hold you to that after the expedition."
Job responds: Provided that you both survive...

8-)

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:35 am
by Seon
Addendium! Provided that both survive without any loss of major limbs or marbles that may have been necessary in using complex aerodynamic maneuvers.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:37 am
by Job
Seon wrote:Addendium! Provided that both survive without any loss of major limbs or marbles that may have been necessary in using complex aerodynamic maneuvers.
Yes, true! :P Loss of marbles is highly likely, though.

Job.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:05 am
by Seon
I came prepared though. I have the white suit, the silly grin, a cane, and a white top hat to wear in case of insanity.

The doctor said that it will help. The doctor did have a chicken's head though.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:33 am
by Job
Seon wrote:I came prepared though. I have the white suit, the silly grin, a cane, and a white top hat to wear in case of insanity.

The doctor said that it will help. The doctor did have a chicken's head though.
Hmm. I don't recall those being in Ernest's list of equipment for the expedition... Well, maybe the silly grin. 8-)

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:44 am
by Seon
Misc
White Top Hat, White Suit, white gloves, Red Neckties, and a cane (wear in case of insanity breakout)
Playing Cards
Books to read (includes magazines such as the Astounding Stories and Weird Tales)

I beg to differ.

Don't ask why Ernest has them. Just. Don't. Ask.

It's because he's crazy.

Astounding Stories and Weird Tales is a kind of funny because that is where Lovecraft published his story, At the Mountain of Madness.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:46 am
by Job
Seon wrote:Misc
White Top Hat, White Suit, white gloves, Red Neckties, and a cane (wear in case of insanity breakout)
Playing Cards
Books to read (includes magazines such as the Astounding Stories and Weird Tales)
That's what I get for not looking before posting...

Next time, I'll make sure that I check. :roll:

Job.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:49 am
by Seon
Come to think of it, I should have added marbles to my inventory list.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:01 am
by Job
Seon wrote:Come to think of it, I should have added marbles to my inventory list.
Only to lose them? ;)

I can envision the scene already: Death is imminent. Ernest knows that it is coming this snowy, frozen night. He awaits it in his tent and has dressed for the occasion, with jacket, tophat, and cane. He sits, watching. Frostbitten. Waiting.

:?:

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:28 am
by Seon
Too depressing. He's not a waiting kind of a guy. He's the type of a guy who beats Death with a cane and a rule book until he relents.

But then again, since Death is an incorporeal entity, he will settle for the nearest schmuck.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:37 am
by Job
Seon wrote:Too depressing. He's not a waiting kind of a guy. He's the type of a guy who beats Death with a cane and a rule book until he relents.

But then again, since Death is an incorporeal entity, he will settle for the nearest schmuck.
Hmm. Nearest schmuck. I assume that you mean Ernest's nearest antagonist? But I guess if Ernest has lost his marbles, then everyone is an antagonist.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:50 am
by Seon
Pretty much, yeah.

He will invite everyone to tea, and if they don't want tea, he'll make them like tea.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:25 am
by Job
Seon wrote:Pretty much, yeah.

He will invite everyone to tea, and if they don't want tea, he'll make them like tea.
Ernest is now beginning to frighten me... And that may be good! :shock:

Job.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:38 am
by Seon
He doesn't have 75% skill in handguns for nothing. I mean, what am I going to use it otherwise? Shoot at Shoggies?

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:33 pm
by Job
Did anyone join Peter Sykes in his night on the town in Panama City? If yes, feel free to add your character's awakening. :?

Job.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:28 am
by Túrin Turambar
Not me, at least. James is far too wholesome for that kind of thing. ;)

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:54 pm
by Anatomist
Im rather busy RL, so im going to take it easy on the roleplaying the comming weeks.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:20 pm
by Job
Thanks for your responses, Túrin and Anatomist. I know that Katie and Ernest are otherwise preoccupied and won't be joining Peter, so your responses let me know that I should continue Peter's Panama City thread on my own for now, to keep it moving forward towards a conclusion.

Also, I'd like to move the voyage forward even though we have a few loose ends in Panama City, so I'll be creating a separate Chap 5 thread to begin the Panama to Australia voyage, to start that trip while keeping open the leg of the journey in Chap 5 New York City to Panama. This will allow us to avoid confusion with time shifts and to build momentum towards Antarctica while reserving a spot for closing out some conversations and orientation elements in the previous thread. I don't really want to create yet another open thread, but I'd rather do that than have our game stagnate while waiting to finish up a few things in Panama.

I'll work on these posts today.

Job.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:24 pm
by Job
As the weather has taken a turn for the worst, every character must make CON rolls to avoid seasickness, CON is multiplied based on the severity of the weather and the displacement of the vessel. In this case moderate gales in the afternoon of the 21st and strong in the evening and the Gabrielle’s ~10,000 ton displacement mean a CONx5 test in the afternoon and CONx4 in the evening. You'll need to make 1d00 seasickness rolls until your character passes.

The tests are made every twelve hours, passing a test allows both normal activity and the chance to make a ‘Sea Legs’ Test (1d100) using the highest of Spot Hidden or Tracking. Once you'’ve found your Sea Legs you can ignore any non-storm weather in future.

Failing a seasickness test means that all manipulation, perception and combat tests are halved until you recover.

Job.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:12 pm
by Anatomist
Øyvind Raknes 10 rols,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3338136/]Spot Hidden and Track is 50% for Øyvind Raknes (1d100=61, 1d100=22, 1d100=99, 1d100=37, 1d100=27, 1d100=53, 1d100=92, 1d100=47, 1d100=1, 1d100=14)[/url]
===000===
George Barrows 10 rols,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3338145/]Spot Hidden is 51% for George Barrow (1d100=91, 1d100=84, 1d100=46, 1d100=63, 1d100=48, 1d100=6, 1d100=61, 1d100=91, 1d100=93, 1d100=51)[/url]
Seems Øyvind will do fine quick, George on the other had will be pucking a ALOT

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:08 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:
Øyvind Raknes 10 rols,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3338136/]Spot Hidden and Track is 50% for Øyvind Raknes (1d100=61, 1d100=22, 1d100=99, 1d100=37, 1d100=27, 1d100=53, 1d100=92, 1d100=47, 1d100=1, 1d100=14)[/url]
Øyvind's CON = 16, so his afternoon roll of 61 against 5XCON=80 is successful.
I'll use his second roll of 22 for his Sea Legs check vs. Spot Hidden/Tracking skill=50, and that is also successful!
Øyvind has no problem!

Job.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:13 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:
George Barrows 10 rols,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3338145/]Spot Hidden is 51% for George Barrow (1d100=91, 1d100=84, 1d100=46, 1d100=63, 1d100=48, 1d100=6, 1d100=61, 1d100=91, 1d100=93, 1d100=51)[/url]
George's CON = 11, so his afternoon roll of 91 against 5XCON=55 is not successful.
His evening roll of 84 vs. 4XCON=44 is also not successful.
George is not doing so well... If the storm does not let up soon, he may be incapacitated for a while.

EDIT: Phew! George did not make a successful CON roll until the evening of Sept 23rd! Unfortunately for George, he missed his next roll, checking whether he gained his sea legs. Fortunately for George, the storm ended the next morning, on September 24th... George does not have his "Sea Legs" yet and may suffer during future storms.

Job.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:17 pm
by Job
Katie's afternoon roll and her Sea Legs rolls were successful!
No further rolls are needed (unless a cataclysmic storm comes some time in the future...).

Job.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:44 am
by jrod

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:45 pm
by Job
Wade has missed both his afternoon and his evening rolls. Poor Wade. 8-)

EDIT: Wade missed his CON check for the morning for Sept 22nd (rolled 99 vs. needed to be less than 70), so his second roll to gain his "Sea Legs" is ignored.
He made his CON check for the evening of Sept 22nd, but missed his "Sea Legs" roll (rolled 39 vs. needed to be less than 25% Spot Hidden).
Wade will continue to have problems during the storm.

Job.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:39 pm
by Túrin Turambar
.10 rolls for James

I don't know how you wish to interpret it, but I suppose that I make my CONx5 (71<85), then fail Sea legs (35>25), then make the CONx4 (67<68), but again fail to acquire Sea legs (35>25).

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:33 pm
by Job
Túrin Turambar wrote:10 rolls for James

I don't know how you wish to interpret it, but I suppose that I make my CONx5 (71<85), then fail Sea legs (35>25), then make the CONx4 (67<68), but again fail to acquire Sea legs (35>25).
You are correct in your calculations, Túrin. James made his constitution checks and thereby avoided any embarrasing "accidents", but he failed each Sea Legs check so he'll need to continue making these checks during the storm.

EDIT: Based on your 10 die rolls, James was never actually ill during the rough seas of Sept 21 to 23, but he never gained his "Sea Legs" either. He will have to continue to make CON Checks during future storms.

Job.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:53 pm
by royya

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:11 pm
by Seon

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:37 am
by Job
Father Rucker has indeed found his Sea Legs! Well done!

Job.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:44 am
by Job
Very good, Seon! Ernest is doing well during the tempest.

Job.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:55 am
by Job
So here is a summary of the status of our team as of the evening of September 21st:

Raknes, Øyvind (Male Dogsled Driver) - Played by Anatomist - SUCCESS! Has his sea legs.
Barrow, George (Male Scientist) - Played by Anatomist - Seasick on Sept 21; needs to re-roll for Sept 22nd and 23rd
Rucker, Father P. J. (Male Priest/Scientist) - Played by Royya - SUCCESS! Has his sea legs.
Roosevelt, Ernest (Male Writer/Explorer) - Played by Seon - SUCCESS! Has his sea legs.
Wright, Katie (Female Pilot) - Played by Mr. Handy - SUCCESS! Has her sea legs.
LeBlanc, Martin Louis (Male Photojournalist) - Played by BenTheRat - If no response by tomorrow from BenTheRat, Job to roll for Martin
Watkins, Wade (Male Physician) - Played by Jrod - Seasick on Sept 21; needs to re-roll for Sept 22nd and 23rd
Bardier, Camille Claud (Female Pilot) - Played by Taokan - If no response from Taokan by tomorrow, Job to roll for Camille
Poole, James R. (Male Cartographer/Surveyor and climbing expert) - Played by Túrin Turambar - Not seasick on Sept 21, but does not yet have Sea Legs; needs to re-roll for Sept 22nd and 23rd

For those who must re-roll for Sept 22nd and 23rd, please roll (8) d100's.
  • Roll 1 = constitution roll for Sept 22nd a.m.
  • Roll 2 = Sea Legs roll for Sept 22nd a.m.
  • Roll 3 = constitution roll for Sept 22nd p.m.
  • Roll 4 = Sea Legs roll ofr Sept 22nd p.m.
  • Roll 5 = Constitution roll for Sept 23rd a.m.
  • etc.
Job.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:17 pm
by Job
Martin valiantly held his own during the storm, and even managed to gain his Sea Legs! Here's a link to Martin's die rolls versus CONX5=80 and SpotHidden=50.

Martin easily made his Constitution check in the afternoon of Sept 21, and then made his Sea Legs check by the slimmest of margins (a roll of 50 against a Spot Hidden skill of 50), but he made it!

Job.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:21 pm
by Job
Camille gained her Sea Legs! Here's a link to her die rolls versus her CONX5=75 and SpotHidden=25.

Darn! I was hoping for a few messes in the latrines...

Job.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:07 pm
by Seon
It's kind of funny how we have to "look" for our Sea Legs like it's some kind of an item.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:47 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:So here is a summary of the status of our team as of the evening of September 21st:

Barrow, George (Male Scientist) - Played by Anatomist - Seasick on Sept 21; needs to re-roll for Sept 22nd and 23rd

For those who must re-roll for Sept 22nd and 23rd, please roll (8) d100's.
  • Roll 1 = constitution roll for Sept 22nd a.m.
  • Roll 2 = Sea Legs roll for Sept 22nd a.m.
  • Roll 3 = constitution roll for Sept 22nd p.m.
  • Roll 4 = Sea Legs roll ofr Sept 22nd p.m.
  • Roll 5 = Constitution roll for Sept 23rd a.m.
  • etc.
Job.
Rolls:
1d100=96,
1d100=59,
1d100=29, <- EDIT from Job: Successful CON check
1d100=24, <- EDIT from Job: Successful "Sea Legs" check
1d100=44,
1d100=87,
1d100=9,
1d100=61

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:00 am
by Job
Seon wrote:It's kind of funny how we have to "look" for our Sea Legs like it's some kind of an item.
Yes, the way that the BtMoM guide describes seasickness and sea legs is that: "Physical and psychological components contribute to this irritating malady. The physical component is essentially the nausea provoked when the perceptions of two senses, the messages sent by inner ear and those sent by the eyes, contradict each other. This occurs when ships toss and plunge in heavier waves and swells. The psychological component may be an anxiety about seasickness which induces physical discomfort...

...if the character can receive a successful CON roll before the weather gets better, he or she has a chance to acquire his or her sea legs. This is done by rolling under the current percentiles for either skill having to do with visual perception--Spot Hidden or Track (player's choice)."

It does, sort of, make sense. ;)

Job.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:03 am
by Job
Geez! While Starkweather and Moore aren't looking, a card game breaks out!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:00 pm
by Anatomist
Øyvinds rolls for boxing match
3 punches (1d100=6, 1d100=34, 1d100=62)
punch skill at 50% for Øyvind. So 2 of them land, one of them dont. Taht going up against 3 landed punches from Gunnar.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:00 pm
by Anatomist
double post

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:04 am
by Túrin Turambar
Rolls for CON and Sea Legs on 22-23/9.

1d100 → [56] = (56)
1d100 → [40] = (40) <- EDIT from Job: Missed "Sea Legs" check
1d100 → [93] = (93) <- EDIT from Job: Missed CON check - incapacitated and violently vomiting
1d100 → [39] = (39) <- EDIT from Job: Missed "Sea Legs" check
1d100 → [28] = (28)
1d100 → [30] = (30) <- EDIT from Job: Missed "Sea Legs" check
1d100 → [27] = (27)
1d100 → [67] = (67) <- EDIT from Job: Missed "Sea Legs" check

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3375415/

EDIT from Job: Unfortunately, James never made a single "Sea Legs" check (roll must be less than 25). He made it through the rough seas of Sept 22nd and 23rd, but must continue to make checks during future storms.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:10 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Øyvinds rolls for boxing match
punch skill at 50% for Øyvind. So 2 of them land, one of them dont. Taht going up against 3 landed punches from Gunnar.
OK Anatomist, this means that Gunnar not only hits you with damage from one punch, but also that I get to describe the action for that round.

LINK -- Gunnar hit Øyvind for 4 points of nonlethal damage in the second round
Gunnar's punch also has a chance to knock out Øyvind. Using the CoC rules for a knockout, I match the damage vs. the target's HP on the resistance table. In this case it's 4 damage (active characteristic) versus Øyvind's HP of 10 prior to the punch (passive characteristic), so for a knockout Gunnar must roll 20% or less.

LINK -- Gunnar failed the roll, so Øyvind was not knocked out and is fit to start the third round. However, Øyvind is now down to 6 hit points and I've updated your character sheet.

Job.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:21 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:Øyvinds rolls for boxing match
OK Anatomist, this means that Gunnar not only hits you with damage from one punch
Errrr i dont get it. Why only one punch make damage?, when Gunnar hit three times one of them being nullified by Øyvind's landing one punch? => two punches that would make damage?

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:33 pm
by Mr. Handy
You parried the first two punches. Only the third one got through.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:41 pm
by Job
Yes, Mr. Handy has it right, Anatomist; I'm sorry that I didn't explain very well. Gunnar hit with three punches and Øyvind hit with two, therefore Øyvind's two successful punches cancelled out (i.e. parried) two of Gunnar's three successful punches, which means that only one of Gunnar's punches actually did any damage.

Here is a link to Gunnar's 3 punches for the next round. Please roll for Øyvind, and good luck! I'm actually hoping that Øyvind WINS this bout since Gunnar seems a little too cocky. :)

Job.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:47 pm
by Anatomist
Argh. I suck. Sorry i see my mistake.

3 punches (1d100=80, 1d100=21, 1d100=63) at 50% punch skill; Øyvind gets one punch trough.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:04 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Argh. I suck. Sorry i see my mistake.

3 punches (1d100=80, 1d100=21, 1d100=63) at 50% punch skill; Øyvind gets one punch trough.
So for the third round, Øyvind had one successful attack while Gunnar had two successful attacks, therefore one of Gunnar's punches is not blocked and damages Øyvind. Geez, Gunnar has been rolling EXTREMELY well...

Gunnar hit Øyvind for 5 hit points of nonlethal damage! Yikes!

For the knockout roll, when matching up Gunnar's 5 hp of damage (active characteristic) versus Øyvind's starting 6HP for the third round (passive characteristic), it results in a 45% chance for Gunnar to knock out Øyvind.

Unfortunately, Gunnar knocked Øyvind out in the third round. I'm sorry Anatomist. :( Øyvind put up a good fight! I'll post a description of the third round shortly.

Job.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:10 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:Argh. I suck. Sorry i see my mistake.

So for the third round, Øyvind had one successful attack while Gunnar had two successful attacks, therefore one of Gunnar's punches is not blocked and damages Øyvind. Geez, Gunnar has been rolling EXTREMELY well...

Gunnar hit Øyvind for 5 hit points of nonlethal damage! Yikes!

For the knockout roll, when matching up Gunnar's 5 hp of damage (active characteristic) versus Øyvind's starting 6HP for the third round (passive characteristic), it results in a 45% chance for Gunnar to knock out Øyvind.

Unfortunately, Gunnar knocked Øyvind out in the third round. I'm sorry Anatomist. :( Øyvind put up a good fight! I'll post a description of the third round shortly.

Job.
BAM!

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:23 pm
by Job
NICE! Thanks Anatomist!

Job.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:22 pm
by Anatomist
FYI Job. Im keeping my chars out of game on purpose. :) Im wanting the new crew have their go with the get to know the ship thing we all did on some point.

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:31 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:FYI Job. Im keeping my chars out of game on purpose. :) Im wanting the new crew have their go with the get to know the ship thing we all did on some point.
Yes, thanks Anatomist, that makes sense. I'm continuing the ship's tour with Katie Wright and Ernest Roosevelt because it may actually prove helpful to all players at some point (especially any further late additions), and also it's interesting roleplaying with excellent questions coming from the players!

Job.

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:22 pm
by royya
Father Rucker haven't met Katie Wright and Ernest Roosevelt yet.

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:33 pm
by Job
royya wrote:Father Rucker haven't met Katie Wright and Ernest Roosevelt yet.
Yes, at the time of the tour, you are quite correct, Roy.

By the time that our expedition has reached the mid-Pacific (i.e. the current status of our Chap 5 IC Panama-Australia thread), though, I'd expect that Ernest has heard Father's morning prayers, though.

Which reminds me (now that my flu-hazed mind has recovered a bit...), I need to add a post in the Panama-Australia IC thread to finish up with Starkweather's acceptance of Katie on the expedition for Mr. Handy. (Fixed. :) )

Job.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:09 am
by Anatomist
Where is the list of classes being given as of 25 sept 1933?

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:10 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Where is the list of classes being given as of 25 sept 1933?
Here's the class list from Sept 22-28.

Job.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:34 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:Where is the list of classes being given as of 25 sept 1933?
Here's the class list from Sept 22-28.

Job.
Player action thread updated

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:05 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Player action thread updated
Very good, Anatomist! I'll be updating that thread's results in the near future.

Job.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:07 pm
by Job
Does Davy Jones look familiar to anyone? This is a question for trivia buffs. :) I do love this picture. The look on his face is priceless!

Job.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:04 pm
by jrod
haha that guy looks ridiculous. I also liked the post about the "latrine songs."

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:53 am
by Job
jrod wrote:haha that guy looks ridiculous. I also liked the post about the "latrine songs."
Latrine singing is an ocean-going tradition for unproven explorers. ;)

Job.

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:31 pm
by Gomez
Job wrote:Image
Does Davy Jones look familiar to anyone? This is a question for trivia buffs. :) I do love this picture. The look on his face is priceless!

Job.
Mr. Allen (Robert Pugh) from Master and Commander: Far Side of the World
:D

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:32 am
by Job
Yes, exactly Gomez! You have a good memory (or strong Google-fu)!

Job.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:56 am
by Job
Something about this queen doesn't look quite right... ;) Well, not to mention the royal baby.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:00 am
by Mr. Handy
I just saw your location. I hadn't realized that you're in Philly before! So am I. I'm in Center City. What part of the city are you in?

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:44 am
by Job
Hello Mr. Handy,

I'm actually about an hour west of Philly in the suburbs, west of King of Prussia towards the Pottstown area. I travel into Philly about once a month for sporting events, plays, concerts, the Art Museum, sometimes taking a class, and whatever, so I'd find it great fun to get together at some time. Let me know if you're interested. I might come down for a Phillies game in May or June.

One of my favorite stores is the Compleat Strategist near King of Prussia. They usually have a Cthulhu item that I'm looking to purchase and also a lot of boardgame expansions. I love that place!

Job.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:46 am
by Job
Mr. Handy wrote:"Well, the sooner I get it cut," says Katie, "the sooner it'll grow back." She waits her turn to be shorn.
That's the spirit! :D

Job.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy
Getting together some time would be awesome! I've heard of the Compleat Strategist, but I don't think I've been there. There haven't been any hobby or gaming stores in Philly that I could find for a long time, and I don't have a local group for tabletop roleplaying. I don't have a car, so I'd have to take SEPTA to get anywhere that isn't within walking distance.

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:35 pm
by Job
Mr. Handy wrote:Getting together some time would be awesome! I've heard of the Compleat Strategist, but I don't think I've been there. There haven't been any hobby or gaming stores in Philly that I could find for a long time, and I don't have a local group for tabletop roleplaying. I don't have a car, so I'd have to take SEPTA to get anywhere that isn't within walking distance.
OK Mr. Handy, I don't expect to be coming into Philly until perhaps mid-April at the earliest, but I'll plan something out and send you a few options. Perhaps you could take SEPTA to the King of Prussia area and I'll meet you at the nearest train station? Then we can hit the Compleat Strategist and I'll drive you back down into Philly. If you have a favorite restaurant in Philly (nothing fancy or expensive), even a diner or cheesesteak joint, then we can go there upon our return to the city. This'll be a fun diversion!

Feel free to suggest anything that you'd like to add to such an agenda. :)

Job.

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:13 pm
by Seon
Hey, sorry for being inactive for a while but...whatisthisIdon'teven...

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:53 pm
by Job
Seon wrote:Hey, sorry for being inactive for a while but...whatisthisIdon'teven...
*laughs* That depends on what you're looking at, Seon. But yeah, we do have some strange stuff going on. 8-)

Job.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy
Job wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:Getting together some time would be awesome! I've heard of the Compleat Strategist, but I don't think I've been there. There haven't been any hobby or gaming stores in Philly that I could find for a long time, and I don't have a local group for tabletop roleplaying. I don't have a car, so I'd have to take SEPTA to get anywhere that isn't within walking distance.
OK Mr. Handy, I don't expect to be coming into Philly until perhaps mid-April at the earliest, but I'll plan something out and send you a few options. Perhaps you could take SEPTA to the King of Prussia area and I'll meet you at the nearest train station? Then we can hit the Compleat Strategist and I'll drive you back down into Philly. If you have a favorite restaurant in Philly (nothing fancy or expensive), even a diner or cheesesteak joint, then we can go there upon our return to the city. This'll be a fun diversion!

Feel free to suggest anything that you'd like to add to such an agenda. :)

Job.
Sounds good to me. It would have to be during a weekend, since I work during the week. Sometimes I have plans on the weekend, but I'm far more likely to have time free on Sunday than Saturday. I don't know what The Compleat Strategist's hours are, though.

Something else we can add is playing games. I have a huge collection of board games. While most of them can be played solo, they can also usually be played multiplayer and I seldom get the chance. Tabletop roleplaying is also a possibility, though options are limited with just one other player. I don't have much table space (still need a bigger table), but the community room in my building has big enough tables or there's always the floor. I could run a scenario from Monophobia if you haven't read it, as those scenarios were designed for a single player. I'd just need to print it out and find some time to prep and reread it. In addition, I have a PS3 with two controllers and quite a few games.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:18 pm
by Job
This gives you an idea of the SIZE of the S.S. Gabrielle. THREE of these planes are contained within her tweendecks and lower holds PLUS one other plane and over four hundred 55-gallon drums of fuel, and all other equipment and supplies. Phew!

Job.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:32 pm
by Job
Mr. Handy wrote:Sounds good to me. It would have to be during a weekend, since I work during the week. Sometimes I have plans on the weekend, but I'm far more likely to have time free on Sunday than Saturday. I don't know what The Compleat Strategist's hours are, though.

Something else we can add is playing games. I have a huge collection of board games. While most of them can be played solo, they can also usually be played multiplayer and I seldom get the chance. Tabletop roleplaying is also a possibility, though options are limited with just one other player. I don't have much table space (still need a bigger table), but the community room in my building has big enough tables or there's always the floor. I could run a scenario from Monophobia if you haven't read it, as those scenarios were designed for a single player. I'd just need to print it out and find some time to prep and reread it. In addition, I have a PS3 with two controllers and quite a few games.
That will work! Coming on a Sunday is fine. I'm likely to bring along my daughter (she plays Camille in BtMoM) since she loves visiting the Compleat Strategist, so we'll have three players for a boardgame or RPG. I've heard of monophobia, single session CoC scenarios I think, but I don't have it. I'd love to play through one if you're willing to read and prep one! Remember, there's no pressure on you since we won't be visiting for at least a month (or more if you need extra time).

Job.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy
Great! Monophobia is a collection of three (excellent) scenarios designed for one player and one Keeper. I've read them (I've even been planning to adapt one or more as a solo adventure that can be played without a Keeper), but I'd need to reread a scenario and print it out from the PDF if I were going to run it. With two players, I'd go for a different one. The Haunting would be ideal, as I'm familiar enough with it, but I don't know if you've already played it. I have four pregens ready to go in case you want to skip character creation in the interest of saving time. I haven't read the other published scenarios I own yet in case I ever get to play them, as I don't want to spoil myself.

I also have a few scenarios of my own creation. I could run you through my first Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu scenario, The Terror Out of Time, if you haven't read the playthrough in the Hall of Fame. I also created a Stargate scenario called Heart of Stone, as well as a Sanctuary scenario that's a prequel set in 1889 London called Shadows and Fog. I made pregens for both of them. Those scenarios are designed for four or five players, but I can NPC extra characters that aren't picked. They use the CoC rules, but they're not actually Mythos-based (unlike The Terror Out of Time, which is).

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:17 pm
by Anatomist

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:39 pm
by Job
Yes, both men would not only hear the yelling and running, but also would start to smell the ammonia gas.

Job.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:18 am
by Túrin Turambar
I am not really sure where James is at the moment, so I don't know if he would also hear the noises.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:26 am
by Job
Túrin Turambar wrote:I am not really sure where James is at the moment, so I don't know if he would also hear the noises.
Unless you tell me otherwise, I would expect that James would have been socializing with the crew after the "Crossing the Line" ceremonies, and therefore he would have been near the main group in the Ship's Mess, and would have seen and/or heard Starkweather, or would have seen and/or heard the yelling from Father Rucker. In other words, he's in perfect position to run into the poisonous gas! ;)

Joe.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:15 am
by Túrin Turambar
In other words, he's in perfect position to run into the poisonous gas! ;)
Then that seems to be a jolly good idea! :roll: ;)

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:55 pm
by jrod
Quick! Save the bug-eyed steward!!!! :shock:

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:07 pm
by Anatomist
jrod wrote:Quick! Save the bug-eyed steward!!!! :shock:
Øyvind iterates the need for a medic :) AND YOU ARE THE MEDIC! :P

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:23 pm
by royya
jrod wrote:Quick! Save the bug-eyed steward!!!! :shock:
Now I understand, the picture of the steward was supposed to be the look of the man after he smelled the ammonia unless Job mixed the BtMoM campaign with an Innmouth character. :lol:

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:39 pm
by Job
What? Something wrong with Adam Henning? Maybe he's just over-tired.
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,D'oh! :shock:
Katie rushes confidently down the ladder, but the fumes overcome her and she collapses, choking on the gas.
...Wow! What a roll, Mr. Handy. But, on the other hand, it's good that you're getting these bad rolls out while you're on the voyage to Antarctica, and not when you're actually on the ice. :roll:

Job.

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Yeah, I get rolls like that a lot. My luck tends to be either extremely good or extremely bad, so I get a lot of critical successes and failures.

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:17 am
by royya
Mr. Handy wrote:Yeah, I get rolls like that a lot. My luck tends to be either extremely good or extremely bad, so I get a lot of critical successes and failures.
Job, Just a head note: I'm not going up to the air on a plane with Katie. I prefer to walk on thin ice. :)

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:23 pm
by Job
royya wrote:Job, Just a head note: I'm not going up to the air on a plane with Katie. I prefer to walk on thin ice. :)
That comment made me laugh! Actually, Katie successfully performed a couple of very difficult manuevers here, but she did have a little engine stall... ;)

Job.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:21 am
by Mr. Handy
True. And I got a couple of critical successes. Unfortunately, they were for skill advancement rolls when you want to roll high... :roll:

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:06 am
by Ewoklord
Oh, yeah. I should probably introduce myself here. You've probably noticed my awkward attempts to get into the action on the IC thread, so Hello All! This is my first actual play by post game that hasn't fizzled out in a few days, so I'm kind of new to this. I'm hoping to have a ton of fun, though. And probably die. I'll bet anyone that I'll be the first to die.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:13 am
by Job
Ah, you're doing just fine, Ewoklord! By the way, once Douglas gets Katie situated in the medical facility, feel free to jump back into the poison gas!

And I won't kill you first. At least, not on purpose... 8-)

Job.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:18 am
by Ewoklord
Hurrah! Poison gas! I loved to play in that as a kid.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:34 pm
by Job
Ewoklord wrote:Hurrah! Poison gas! I loved to play in that as a kid.
I hope that you're kidding. But, come to think of it, when I was a kid, I sometimes rode my bike through clouds of poisonous gas that were being released by trucks to spray for mosquitos. That's probably what led to my strange attraction to horror games!

Job.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:39 am
by Anatomist
FYI. Ill be gone on vacations until 10/4-12 10th of april 2012 for you backwards reading americans.

Be nice to my chars and NPC as needed.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:09 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:FYI. Ill be gone on vacations until 10/4-12 10th of april 2012 for you backwards reading americans.

Be nice to my chars and NPC as needed.
Thank you, Anatomist, for letting me know that you'll be away for vacation. That helps me to figure out ways to maintain momentum.

And what was that? George and Oyvind want to immediately run down to the refrigerated cargo area to locate and stop the ammonia leak? Not a problem! :twisted:

Job.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:54 pm
by royya
Job wrote:And what was that? George and Oyvind want to immediately run down to the refrigerated cargo area to locate and stop the ammonia leak? Not a problem! :twisted:
Job.
I think he meant that the ammonia incident was too much for George’s and Oyvind’s fragile mind and they decided to jump to the ocean for the mercy of the calm waves.

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:19 pm
by Ewoklord
Would it be okay if I said that I accompanied Dr. Green to the deck?

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:28 am
by Anatomist
Ha-ha your both hilarious :evil: /not

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:13 pm
by Job
Ewoklord wrote:Would it be okay if I said that I accompanied Dr. Green to the deck?
Yes,that would be perfectly reasonable. Harm's way is waiting for someone to be put in. :roll:
Job.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:17 pm
by Job
*laughs at Anatomist* HEY! Aren't you supposed to be on vacation? You shouldn't be looking at what we're doing behind the curtain! :P

Job.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:04 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:*laughs at Anatomist* HEY! Aren't you supposed to be on vacation? You shouldn't be looking at what we're doing behind the curtain! :P

Job.
Yeah had a trip into town to get some stuff for the cabin. Did some driving to find a open wifi network to check my mails ;)
And btw, im back scum!

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:21 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:And btw, im back scum!
A term of endearment for your Keeper? Are you trying to flatter me so that George and Oyvind will benefit? 8-)

Job.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:47 pm
by Job
I was expecting that we'd hear from Ewoklord, telling us of his amazement that I was going to kill off Douglas Orgelfinger! ;)

So far, James Starkweather has succeeded in his CON X 5 rolls to rescue Doug. James' rolls

It's going to be close, I think...

And if Starkweather dies, events aboard the Gabrielle would take a dramatic shift.

Job.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:28 am
by Job
Wow! Starkweather was almost in serious trouble himself! With slight bonuses from his facemask and brandy, anything over an 85 would've sent him to the floor. Hopefully, he'll soon be finished dragging Doug's body to safety.

Job.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:12 am
by Anatomist
Hes made out of iron. Im not worried. :roll:

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:32 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Hes made out of iron. Im not worried. :roll:
I hope that you are right. I'd hate to lose such a wonderful man that folks love to hate!

Hey Anatomist, for some reason the link to Oyvind's photo appears to be having trouble. I can see George Barrow's photo, but not Oyvinds. Strange...

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:53 pm
by Ewoklord
Oh, sorry. I've been watching everything, hoping I don't die. But if I do, I sure predicted it!
Ewoklord wrote:I'll bet anyone that I'll be the first to die.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:14 pm
by Job
Ewoklord wrote:Oh, sorry. I've been watching everything, hoping I don't die. But if I do, I sure predicted it!
Keep the faith, Ewoklord!

And just to clarify, based on the rules for the ammonia gas that I referenced earlier, if Starkweather rolls greater than a 95 on 1d100, then he falls to the floor, unable to help himself (similar to what happened to Katie and Doug). If he rolls between 86 and 95, then he must get to the main deck immediately and would need to drop Doug to do so (which would not be good for Doug...).

I'm reluctant to make Starkweather's next roll. I hesitate when my cursor is hovering over that "Roll the Dice" button...

Job.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:03 pm
by Job
James continues to do well!

Although hmm, I wonder if Doug's body took any damage from Starkweather's rough treatment, being pulled and heaved around a corner in the reefer hold...
Job wrote:"Uhhnn," James groaned as he sat up, rubbing the back of his head...
I guess that this proves that Starkweather does have a thick skull!

Job.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:58 pm
by Job
I'm happy to report that James Starkweather not only made his FIFTH consecutive CON X 5 roll, but he also made his Listen roll to hear Oyvind yelling for him!

Job.

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:59 pm
by Anatomist
Did Starkweather and Øyvind managed to set the hose in place?

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:03 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Did Starkweather and Øyvind managed to set the hose in place?
Unfortunately, not yet. They had each run in opposite directions before finishing that task.

Job.

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:41 am
by Anatomist

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:49 pm
by Job
Good rolls, Anatomist! You managed to get the hose in place.

Job.

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:26 am
by Job
Mr. Handy wrote:Katie hurries to Starkweather's side and quickly does an excellent job of aiding and reviving him, lending him her own oxygen mask as he obviously needs it more.
Phew! Now THAT is quite a roll, Mr. Handy! Very much out of character for you. ;)

Job.

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy
Yeah, my luck is extremely streaky. If I start rolling a whole bunch of 50s and 51s, I'd be alarmed.

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:07 pm
by royya
Job,

The tall black steward you speak of is Adam Henning or another person Paul Rucker is not familiar with?

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:39 pm
by Job
That...

...is an excellent question. :?:

Job.

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:09 pm
by royya
Hmm. could be Adam Henning or Jack Whitney.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:32 am
by Anatomist
aine wrote:Image

Martin shades his eyes to look up at the two arguing men. When they have gone, "But what is the problem? Has the Captain gone mad? Of course we do not sail straight to Australia, I was looking forward for the stop in Galapagos and maybe the Marquases. I do not know the route but surely we always planned to stop for fresh supplies on the way?" He turns to Professor Moore, "Indeed I will help to look but it may be hard knowing what is not right on a ship, I am not a sailor. But I am quite good at talking to the surely rascals who are."

Job,Does Martin know who Acacia Lexington is?
Im pretty sure Martin does know the history of Acacia Lexington. I think he was present during a Starkweather outburst on the subject.
I think i was in the Death of a Sea Captain - Chapter 2. Take a look there.

-A

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:20 pm
by royya
I'm quite lost about the status of Father Rucker. What is happening, is there a curfew on ship ?

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:28 am
by Job
royya wrote:I'm quite lost about the status of Father Rucker. What is happening, is there a curfew on ship ?
That is an excellent question, Roy!

I'm afraid that I lost my train of thought after the Captain found out about the saboteur and issued his lockdown order, a couple of pages back in the Chap 5 Panama to Australia thread. Geez, I must've had a senior moment. Thank you for prompting me on it. I need to post some responses, seamen rushing about, expedition members being escorted to their cabins, etc., etc.

I'll either post this response (along with a couple of others) on Friday or Saturday; unfortunately I"m buried with work today and tomorrow night.

Again, thanks for the reminder.

Job.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:32 pm
by Ewoklord
Oh crap. Sorry I haven't posted in a while, whenever I checked I would see Mr. Handy had posted last and didn't realize that he was posting after other people.

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:23 pm
by Job
Ewoklord wrote:Oh crap. Sorry I haven't posted in a while, whenever I checked I would see Mr. Handy had posted last and didn't realize that he was posting after other people.
This is not a problem, Ewoklord! I'm glad to see Douglas back in action.

J.

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:23 pm
by aine
I will be away from 8th to the end of May as I'm cycling a long version of John O'Groats to Lands End and living in a tent. Please NPC or incarcerate Martin until I'm back.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:07 am
by Anatomist
aine wrote:I will be away from 8th to the end of May as I'm cycling a long version of John O'Groats to Lands End and living in a tent. Please NPC or incarcerate Martin until I'm back.
Take pics or it didnt happen! :P

Have a nice trip!

Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:03 pm
by Job
I found a good picture of Chipper. ;)

Link here

J.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:02 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:I found a good picture of Chipper. ;)

Link here

J.
haha! :)

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:01 pm
by Job
And yes! 7 years later in real life, the expedition starts on the last leg of the journey to the Ice.

*applauds all expedition members*

J.

Re: OOC: CHAPTER 5 - At Sea

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:52 am
by Anatomist
Im a bit confused. Is George Barrow nearby this conversation?
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

Katie laughs. "Dr. Barrow would also be good to have along when questioning the prisoners," she says. "Whoever committed the sabotage must have significant knowledge of chemistry, and that's not really my field. The doctor would know what questions to ask about that, and how to interpret the answers."

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:22 pm
by Job
Hi anatomist. I can see why that'd be confusing, sorry. George is not with Katie and Starkweather. I'll add a post later today to have Starkweather talk to George.

J.

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:43 am
by Job
Hello everyone,

Sorry for my limited posting over the past few months. It's been a very busy time at work (4 software releases in 3 weeks, along with dozens of defects to troubleshoot) and I've also had quite a number of family activities for the summer.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel though. Tomorrow night is my last major work release until November. And I have no personal trips planned until November. So, barring any tentacular assaults, my preoccupations should soon be easing up, starting with this weekend.

J.

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:59 pm
by Anatomist
George Barrow rolls: Rolling for constitution (1d100=74)
Having Con = 11

Øyvind Raknes rolls: Rolling for Constitution (1d100=18)
Having Con = 16

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:59 pm
by Anatomist
George Barrow rolls: Rolling for constitution (1d100=74)
Having Con = 11

Øyvind Raknes rolls: Rolling for Constitution (1d100=18)
Having Con = 16

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:49 am
by Anatomist
Job, you allow that Øyvind that is with his dogs can hear KAtie Screaming? So he would be curious and eventually help catching those that last rolling engine?

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:30 am
by Job
I'm writing this from my phone. My laptop's keyboard is causing a lot of trouble. It thinks that my <escape> key is constantly and repeatedly being pressed. I've ordered a new keyboard but it hasn't yet arrived. So my posts are a bit delayed. A USB keyboard doesn't act any better, so the problem may be even deeper. Wish me luck (that it's only my keyboard)

Job.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy
You probably can't hear me shouting, which I have to do to be heard over the noise of the storm. The others actually in the hold can barely hear me.

I hope you can get your laptop working, Job.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:38 am
by Job
Mr. Handy is correct, Anatomist. The storm is about the volume of a freight train thundering past, so you would not be able to hear them. You might feel the thumpings of the engines rolling about, but they're mixed in with numerous other bumps, crashes, and grindingS.

J.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:22 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Mr. Handy is correct, Anatomist. The storm is about the volume of a freight train thundering past, so you would not be able to hear them. You might feel the thumpings of the engines rolling about, but they're mixed in with numerous other bumps, crashes, and grindingS.

J.
Rgr that. Øyvind does hear the thumps, but i dont think anyone would think that was a strange given the storm. but i was thinking shouting would. Anyways, Øyvind stays with his dogs, mourning.....

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:25 am
by Job
I'm once again posting from my phone. *sigh* no change in the past week or two. My new keyboard hasn't yet arrived.
My machine is also giving me the blue screen of death now, so I think that I may need to bite the bullet and purchase a new laptop. I'll try to post from my phone every now and then, but it's not a good way to do so.

J.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:07 pm
by Dave Syrinx
You don't have some scruffy pc up in the attic to scramble up?
I have one ready for shipping but the postage is a killer!!!!

Good luck in finding a new lap.

/Dave

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:41 am
by Job
Nope, no old replacements... I'm "negotiating" with my adult kids to "rent" a replacement tho.

J.

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:14 am
by Job
I have good news! I received my replacement keyboard (shipped from Hong Kong, China) this weekend and spent most of Sunday installing it and performing stability checks on my laptop's CPU and GPU. The keyboard is now working just fine, so I'm able to now use my laptop for Play@YSDC posts.

Unfortunately, not everything is fixed. I'm still experiencing the occasional blue-screens-of-death and have traced them to a faulty GPU. I'm now bidding on a replacement for that.

But I can now continue the story without tremendous frustrations! I'll be back posting this weekend.

Job.

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:40 am
by Anatomist
I apologize for halting this thread viewtopic.php?f=212&t=2941&p=164943#p164943 Ive been at the hospital with a wound on my leg, and being a hemophilic does not help. I got no wifi here and i have some sedatives that make me sleep a lot. Ill catch up next week when im supposed to go home.

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:56 pm
by Job
Geez Anatomist, I'm sorry to hear that you're having health issues. May you have a speedy recovery and be back with the expedition soon! Let us know if you need an elder sign scribed on your behalf.

On a different topic, below is a pic of my laptop surgery that I've been performing over the past two weeks. The first surgery was to replace the keyboard; this picture is of the replacement of my graphics card. Both surgeries were successful and my laptop is now fully operational.

J.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:34 am
by Job
Hi Anatomist,

In your recent post, what does this mean?: sudo katie tail -f

This must be some sort of programmer language. ;) But I'm going to assume that George follows Katie and Starkweather.

Job.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:38 am
by Job
Mr. Handy,

That is an amazing dice roll! Katie couldn't have come any closer to failure, and I'll ad lib a bit of extra description there to match your tongue-in-cheek "Nimble as usual" comment. ;)

Job.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:50 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Hi Anatomist,

In your recent post, what does this mean?: sudo katie tail -f

This must be some sort of programmer language. ;) But I'm going to assume that George follows Katie and Starkweather.

Job.

Haha! It is. It how you see whats been written to a file as the file is written (you are tailing it). As Error logs and such. -f is acronym for --follow

Follow link if you are brave, linux things hidden behind the blue text

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:28 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks! That was quite a narrow success, and I'm lucky I had the 17 DEX.

I'm a computer programmer, but I haven't worked with Linux before. I have used UNIX, and I can see the similarities.

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:10 pm
by Job
Hey all, this is just a note that I am caught in the web of social responsibilities for the holiday season. Since Thanksgiving, my free time's been consumed with family gatherings, cooking, cleaning, shopping trips, parties, and soon a trip to California to visit with my Mom. I suspect that I'll have little time to do much writing before the new year.

I hope that everyone builds excellent memories during this holiday season, and that we all have a very Cthulhu New Year! :)

Job.

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:00 pm
by Anatomist
Thanks Job and happy holidays and new year to you too.
Im on vacation in Chile visiting my family over here and having a very unnormal Christmas with +35C, the kids are all longing for snow. hahaha its gonna be 38 C tomorrow... so i guess they wont get that wish granted.

Happy holidays and new year to my fellom players of BtMoM! we are adding another year to this adventure!

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:54 pm
by Job
Right after the holidays, I was alerted to my Mom (living in California) becoming very ill. Time is now very short for her. I'll be back in touch after all of the travels and family gatherings are over. Sorry, this has been a very trying year.

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:24 pm
by Job
My Mom passed away this morning, so this will continue to be a quiet period for the campaign as my family works through the process. I will occasionally let everyone know how things are going and will also alert everyone when I hope to resume the expedition.

J.

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:54 pm
by Anatomist
My sincere condolences Job. Im pretty sure we all going to be here when you feel for picking the campaign up again.

-A

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:52 pm
by royya
My condolences.

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy
My condolences as well. I'll wait as long as you need.

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:52 pm
by aine
I'm so sorry, Job.

Aine

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:30 pm
by Job
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. I'm only now seeing all of your responses, and I appreciate every single word. Thanks. And I am very sorry for the long pause.

Inevitable changes.

After a period of quiet, and family gatherings, and the ebbing of sadness, I've begun to feel the pull back to adventure. And creativity in writing. I would like to make sure that our conclusion, our ending, is written.

When I read through even a few pages of our story, I usually smile. That alone is worth continuing and seeing what happens in the cold.

I hope to find that at least a few of you are still around, and still anxious to reach our goal.

Job.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:39 pm
by Anatomist
*Rises hand* :)

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:39 pm
by Anatomist
*Rises hand* :)

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:27 pm
by Job
Aw, Anatomist! I was hoping that you'd be here! :)

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:31 pm
by Anatomist
I do remember you that I waited for you for years! :) ;)

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:57 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back! You're welcome, and I'm still here and raring to go.

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:11 am
by Anatomist
Job & Mr Handy.
We got the explosive up on deck soon, I want George to examine for any clue after Vittorio made the bomb harmless.
The plan from there is as far i can remember that we then move on to interrogate the Prisoners, or was we going to check out the entire lower hold first?

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:49 am
by Job
Mr. Handy wrote:Welcome back! You're welcome, and I'm still here and raring to go.
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear, Mr. Handy! :)

I'm a bit tied up tonight and tomorrow night, but will create a few things Thursday night.

J.

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:51 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Job & Mr Handy.
We got the explosive up on deck soon, I want George to examine for any clue after Vittorio made the bomb harmless.
The plan from there is as far i can remember that we then move on to interrogate the Prisoners, or was we going to check out the entire lower hold first?
My plan? My plan is to blow up the ship! :p

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy
I think we just wanted to find what was wedged among the fuel containers, which turned out to be the explosives. Now that we've found them, though, we may want to look for further evidence (or more explosives) once we've taken care of them before we see the prisoners.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:52 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:I do remember you that I waited for you for years! :) ;)
Yes, Anatomist! You were the one who brought me back a few years ago, after I had taken a couple of years off! And then I met Mr. Handy and the two of you have been the creative writers who've kept me here, smiling and chuckling and crafting our story ever since. I really do enjoy my time writing with you folks! :)

I've tried a couple of times to join a story wherein the two of you have been fellow players, but those two stories each fizzled out within 6 months. Maybe one of these times, we'll find a dedicated keeper who'll stick it out and run us through a fun adventure together.

Job.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks! It's good to see you back, and I enjoy writing with you too. I remember when Gomez started Masks of Nyarlathotep, but unfortunately it fizzled out before we got anywhere. He returned last year, but he started Tatters of the King on another site instead of picking up Masks again. Unfortunately, he disappeared again before that game got very far.

If you're interested, I'm getting ready to start a new game, The Brotherhood of Death. It's Cthulhu Invictus mixed with Doctor Who. You're welcome to join if you're interested.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:37 am
by Anatomist
If you ask me i find roya to be quite invesed, but his character hassent got much tracction (yet) from NPC's and fellow players. Beeing his character a Priest i think hes start feeling more attention when the expedition starts doubting their souls when we arrive the ICE!

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:17 am
by Job
Mr. Handy wrote:If you're interested, I'm getting ready to start a new game, The Brotherhood of Death. It's Cthulhu Invictus mixed with Doctor Who. You're welcome to join if you're interested.
Hmm. I'm not really a Dr. Who fan -- my daughter thinks that this is a sacrilege. And I was hoping to actually play as a character alongside you and Anatomist, and maybe Royya.

J.

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:18 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:If you ask me i find roya to be quite invesed, but his character hassent got much tracction (yet) from NPC's and fellow players. Beeing his character a Priest i think hes start feeling more attention when the expedition starts doubting their souls when we arrive the ICE!
Yeah, Anatomist, you're right, Royya has been with us for a long while too. And yes, once the team reaches the ice, a priest will be busy. :twisted:

Job.

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:41 am
by royya
Yes, I will.
Welcome back Job.

Roy.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy
Raiko just returned, and he's thinking about possibly restarting Masks of Nyarlathotep. If he does, we could all play alongside each other in that one. I plan to reuse my character from Gomez's campaign.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:30 am
by Anatomist
Mr. Handy wrote:Raiko just returned, and he's thinking about possibly restarting Masks of Nyarlathotep. If he does, we could all play alongside each other in that one. I plan to reuse my character from Gomez's campaign.
I would be intrested. Does he have a recruiting thread up? I didnt find it if he does.

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy
There is no recruitment thread yet, and it's not definite that he'll run it. He mentioned it in a thread in the Welcome board, here.

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:56 am
by Job
I've expressed my interest in Raiko's game. ;)

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:54 am
by Job
Wow! Excellent DEX roll, Mr. Handy! :)

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, that was really lucky! :D I rolled even less than my DEX x 1!

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:27 am
by Job
Just an FYI, this past weekend I received a new grandson, so I've been a bit distracted by RL events. I'll be back posting within the next day or so.

Job.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:20 am
by Anatomist
8-)

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Congratulations! :)

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:44 am
by royya
Congratulations

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:27 am
by Job
Thanks everyone! It's nice to have a new intrepid investigator in our family. :twisted: