OOC: CHAPTER 5 - At Sea

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: OOC: CHAPTER 5 - At Sea

Post by Mr. Handy »

You probably can't hear me shouting, which I have to do to be heard over the noise of the storm. The others actually in the hold can barely hear me.

I hope you can get your laptop working, Job.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy is correct, Anatomist. The storm is about the volume of a freight train thundering past, so you would not be able to hear them. You might feel the thumpings of the engines rolling about, but they're mixed in with numerous other bumps, crashes, and grindingS.

J.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:Mr. Handy is correct, Anatomist. The storm is about the volume of a freight train thundering past, so you would not be able to hear them. You might feel the thumpings of the engines rolling about, but they're mixed in with numerous other bumps, crashes, and grindingS.

J.
Rgr that. Øyvind does hear the thumps, but i dont think anyone would think that was a strange given the storm. but i was thinking shouting would. Anyways, Øyvind stays with his dogs, mourning.....
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

I'm once again posting from my phone. *sigh* no change in the past week or two. My new keyboard hasn't yet arrived.
My machine is also giving me the blue screen of death now, so I think that I may need to bite the bullet and purchase a new laptop. I'll try to post from my phone every now and then, but it's not a good way to do so.

J.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

You don't have some scruffy pc up in the attic to scramble up?
I have one ready for shipping but the postage is a killer!!!!

Good luck in finding a new lap.

/Dave
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Nope, no old replacements... I'm "negotiating" with my adult kids to "rent" a replacement tho.

J.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

I have good news! I received my replacement keyboard (shipped from Hong Kong, China) this weekend and spent most of Sunday installing it and performing stability checks on my laptop's CPU and GPU. The keyboard is now working just fine, so I'm able to now use my laptop for Play@YSDC posts.

Unfortunately, not everything is fixed. I'm still experiencing the occasional blue-screens-of-death and have traced them to a faulty GPU. I'm now bidding on a replacement for that.

But I can now continue the story without tremendous frustrations! I'll be back posting this weekend.

Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

I apologize for halting this thread viewtopic.php?f=212&t=2941&p=164943#p164943 Ive been at the hospital with a wound on my leg, and being a hemophilic does not help. I got no wifi here and i have some sedatives that make me sleep a lot. Ill catch up next week when im supposed to go home.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Geez Anatomist, I'm sorry to hear that you're having health issues. May you have a speedy recovery and be back with the expedition soon! Let us know if you need an elder sign scribed on your behalf.

On a different topic, below is a pic of my laptop surgery that I've been performing over the past two weeks. The first surgery was to replace the keyboard; this picture is of the replacement of my graphics card. Both surgeries were successful and my laptop is now fully operational.

J.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Hi Anatomist,

In your recent post, what does this mean?: sudo katie tail -f

This must be some sort of programmer language. ;) But I'm going to assume that George follows Katie and Starkweather.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy,

That is an amazing dice roll! Katie couldn't have come any closer to failure, and I'll ad lib a bit of extra description there to match your tongue-in-cheek "Nimble as usual" comment. ;)

Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:Hi Anatomist,

In your recent post, what does this mean?: sudo katie tail -f

This must be some sort of programmer language. ;) But I'm going to assume that George follows Katie and Starkweather.

Job.

Haha! It is. It how you see whats been written to a file as the file is written (you are tailing it). As Error logs and such. -f is acronym for --follow

Follow link if you are brave, linux things hidden behind the blue text
~Bony End of Story~
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks! That was quite a narrow success, and I'm lucky I had the 17 DEX.

I'm a computer programmer, but I haven't worked with Linux before. I have used UNIX, and I can see the similarities.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Hey all, this is just a note that I am caught in the web of social responsibilities for the holiday season. Since Thanksgiving, my free time's been consumed with family gatherings, cooking, cleaning, shopping trips, parties, and soon a trip to California to visit with my Mom. I suspect that I'll have little time to do much writing before the new year.

I hope that everyone builds excellent memories during this holiday season, and that we all have a very Cthulhu New Year! :)

Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Thanks Job and happy holidays and new year to you too.
Im on vacation in Chile visiting my family over here and having a very unnormal Christmas with +35C, the kids are all longing for snow. hahaha its gonna be 38 C tomorrow... so i guess they wont get that wish granted.

Happy holidays and new year to my fellom players of BtMoM! we are adding another year to this adventure!
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Right after the holidays, I was alerted to my Mom (living in California) becoming very ill. Time is now very short for her. I'll be back in touch after all of the travels and family gatherings are over. Sorry, this has been a very trying year.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

My Mom passed away this morning, so this will continue to be a quiet period for the campaign as my family works through the process. I will occasionally let everyone know how things are going and will also alert everyone when I hope to resume the expedition.

J.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

My sincere condolences Job. Im pretty sure we all going to be here when you feel for picking the campaign up again.

-A
~Bony End of Story~
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

My condolences.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

My condolences as well. I'll wait as long as you need.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”