OOC: CHAPTER 5 - At Sea

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

OOC: CHAPTER 5 - At Sea

Post by Job »

This thread is for all side discussions and rolling of dice for the In Character thread of Chapter 5 - At Sea.

Since I expect that there will be LOTS of classes offered during our sea voyage, and LOTS of dice rolling, I've been pondering ways to make this travel thread easier to follow, and I think that I've hit upon a way to do this.

Here is a link to the Synopsis for the Chapter 5 IC thread. In this synopsis thread, you'll find an index to each day's/week's schedules of classes, and also an index of everyone's dice rolls for skill increases. The class schedules will be posted by Prof. Moore in the IC thread, and the OOC thread will hold the die results, so I thought it best to provide links to everything in the Synopsis.

As a general note regarding skills increases:
  • Each class offered by the expedition NPCs offers the opportunity to improve one or more skills. During this portion/chapter of our campaign, I am ruling that our skill increases will differ slightly from the standard CoC rules. Normally, according to the CoC training rules, a character must take a class for 6 months to increase their skill by 1d10.
  • For chapter 5 of this campaign: to gain a chance to increase one's skill, the character who's taking the class must have a skill level that is lower than that of the instructor
  • For chapter 5 of this campaign: the first day of class has a chance to increase a character's skill. After that, a character must attend one week'’s worth of a particular lesson to have a chance to improve that skill(s). I’ll keep track of how many days you each have been to a particular lesson, so you can shift and mix classes day by day, if you'd like.
  • If any of you want to run classes of your own, or help one of the NPCs to run theirs then I’ll find a suitable reward in place of the skill boosts. You just need to mention it to Moore, then chalk yourself up on the chalkboard that morning. (ie make a post or PM me).
  • The classes only run for an hour or two each, so you can attend several in the same day if you want, or enjoy some free time. The same classes won’t be running every day, but each class will run several times.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Re: CHAPTER 5: OOC - At Sea

Post by Job »

CHARACTER ROLLS for September 12th Classes

MORNING CLASS: Sykes (81% Polar Survival) / Introduction to cold-weather clothes and equipment / Officer's Mess
STUDENT: George Barrow: Die roll for Polar Survival skill increase = 51 SUCCESS! George's Polar Survival skill increases by 1% ***I've updated his sheet- Job.

MORNING CLASS: J Rucker / Antarctic Paleobiology / Ship's Mess
TEACHER CREDIT: Father P.J. Rucker - After each full week of teaching, Father Rucker will get to roll to increase either his Persuade or Listen skill

AFTERNOON CLASS: G & N Sorensen (85% Climb) / Technical Climbing / Crew's Mess
STUDENT: Father P.J. Rucker Die roll for Climb skill increase = 94 SUCCESS! Fr. Rucker's Climb skill increases by 1% ***I've updated his sheet --Job.

AFTERNOON CLASS: E Fiskarson / Boxing Fundamentals (last one standing takes on James Starkweather) / Main Deck Fore
STUDENT: Øyvind Raknes

EVENING CLASS: Ø Raknes & F Guerini / Mountain Rules / Ship's Mess
***This class can be used to increase one of the following skills: Drive Dogsled or Polar Survival or Tracking
TEACHER CREDIT: Øyvind Raknes - After each full week of teaching, Øyvind will get to roll to increase either his Persuade or Listen skill
STUDENT: Father P.J. Rucker Die roll for Polar Survival skill increase = 25 SUCCESS! Fr. Rucker's Polar Survival skill increases by 1% ***I've updated his sheet --Job.

EVENING CLASS: D Halperin (87% Navigate) & C Bardier / Aerial Navigation / Expedition Lab
TEACHER CREDIT: Camille Bardier - After each full week of teaching, Camille will get to roll to increase either her Persuade or Listen skill
STUDENT: Øyvind Raknes: Die roll for Navigate skill = 92 SUCCESS! Øyvind's Navigate skill increases by 1%. ***I've updated his sheet- Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Sept 12 Die Rolls for Oyvind and George

Post by Job »

royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

Climb Polar Survival(1d100=94, 1d100=25)

Climb Polar Survival - both [Success]
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Die rolls for both Oyvind and Fr. Rucker (in the above two posts) have been accounted for.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Hello Anatomist,

I'm considering how to play out the boxing matches in chapter 5 with Øyvind and the other crew members (eventually James Starkweather). I think that we have 3 main options to consider, and I'm leaning towards either option 2 or 3. We would use nonlethal damage for all boxing matches.

1. LOW DETAIL: We can do it all in very abstract terms - one die roll per match. For example, we compare a die roll for Øyvind's melee attack against a die roll for his opponent and whoever wins the roll, wins the match. This would be quick, and I could make up some description of the fight, but it would not be very detailed or satisfying, I don't think.

2. MEDIUM DETAIL: We can simulate a boxing match with the standard combat rules, using nonlethal damage, blow-by-blow. This would take some time, and would be more detailed than option 1, so we could describe out actions in an IC thread. To make sure that we don't spend months playing this out, I'd suggest one melee attack roll and one block roll per combatant per boxing round. For example, For round 1 Øyvind rolls for his melee and block, and his opponent rolls for his melee and block, and we compare the rolls, then describe some things in the IC thread.

3. HIGH DETAIL: We use slightly modified CoC rules that allow for called shots to the head, stomach, or kidneys
  • Head - minus 20% to hit, successful hit = chance to hit again, full damage = chance to stun
  • Stomach - normal melee chance to hit, successful hit = chance to hit again
  • Kidneys - normal melee chance to hit, successful hit = chance to hit again
Similar to option 2, we roll one melee and one block roll per combatant per boxing round, then compare. This option allows us to pick an area to hit and might be fun to describe in the IC thread.

Your thoughts?
Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Ha! Nice one.
Let me see. I like option 2 the best. For once i would like it to go quicker then 3 and still retain some good IC stuff.
Now... If i could suggest... and this is applicable to 3 a swell and make it my favorite :)
Make the mechanics be like this. Each player makes 3 rolls for melee compare them

Code: Select all

1      2      3
PC1: Success  Not   Not -attacking
PC2: Success  Success Not -defending
On the first its a draw on the second one of them hit in the third is a draw. The player gets to act out 3 moves playing one of the to hit and describe it.

Example: "Øyvind mesearued his openent taking two quick step towards PC2, going for the kidneys, punching two blows wich PC2 blocked, seeing the opening to the head punching him firmly over the ear"

Instead of making a hit of head be 20%, make all the first hits even, but if the player has tree hits (winning the 3 Success rollss) each hit make more dmg then the last. say dmg +1 for the second hit, and dmg +3 (+4 for head) for the third. First hit is normal dmg.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:Ha! Nice one.
Let me see. I like option 2 the best. For once i would like it to go quicker then 3 and still retain some good IC stuff.
Now... If i could suggest... and this is applicable to 3 a swell and make it my favorite :)
Make the mechanics be like this. Each player makes 3 rolls for melee compare them

Code: Select all

1      2      3
PC1: Success  Not   Not -attacking
PC2: Success  Success Not -defending
On the first its a draw on the second one of them hit in the third is a draw. The player gets to act out 3 moves playing one of the to hit and describe it.

Example: "Øyvind mesearued his openent taking two quick step towards PC2, going for the kidneys, punching two blows wich PC2 blocked, seeing the opening to the head punching him firmly over the ear"

Instead of making a hit of head be 20%, make all the first hits even, but if the player has tree hits (winning the 3 Success rollss) each hit make more dmg then the last. say dmg +1 for the second hit, and dmg +3 (+4 for head) for the third. First hit is normal dmg.
OK, we agree to go with option 2, keeping things simple, but adding a little more detailed dice rolling to assist in our IC writing. I'll suggest a compromise between our proposals:

1) Each character rolls the dice three times for three hand-to-hand attacks per boxing round, and we compare the sets of attack rolls, 1st roll versus 1st roll, 2nd roll versus 2nd roll, and 3rd roll versus 3rd roll.
  • If both players succeed in a compared attack roll, then that set is a draw and the successful attacks cancel each other, and no damage is done.
  • If both players fail their attack rolls, then neither player made a successful attack and nothing happens.
  • If one player succeeds and the other fails, then the successful player lands a punch on his/her opponent.
It's possible for both players to land punches during a round.

2) For every successfully landed punch, the character rolls for non-lethal hand-to-hand damage as per their character sheet. When reduced to 0 HP, a character is knocked down and cannot resume the fight, but is not knocked out.

3) Knock-out Attack (as per CoC rules, page 60: More Spot Rules for Combat) - For any landed punch, roll for damage as in an ordinary attack, but match the result against the target's HP on the resistance table. A success knocks the target unconscious for several minutes. If the attack succeeds but the resistance table check does not, then there is no knock-out, and the target takes full rolled damage.

4) The player or Keeper that landed the highest number of punches--or scored the knock-out--is granted the right to post the description for that boxing round. If there is a tie, then the player and keeper each roll a d100 and the highest score writes the blow-by-blow description for that boxing round.

Anatomist, are you OK with this? I like them. :)
Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

I Agree.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Hey, are you players able to view the google map of our voyage? Is it worth my time to post our route in this fashion, or should I instead edit a jpeg map?

Here is a link to the google map

Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:Hey, are you players able to view the google map of our voyage? Is it worth my time to post our route in this fashion, or should I instead edit a jpeg map?

Here is a link to the google map

Job.
Confirming I can see the blue line between the dots. Its working over here.
~Bony End of Story~
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I can see it just fine, and I do like the map.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

I can see the map.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Thanks everyone! I'll keep generating the Google map.

BTW, today I have a lot of raking of leaves to do in RL, so we'll see if I can carve out some time later today to write. Once I finish raking leaves, I may spend my time tonight adding detail to our "Key NPC's" topic in the reference section. That topic area needs some work (i.e. photos, descriptions, and links to previous activities) and I expect that it will prove very helpful to you folks in the coming months.

Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:Thanks everyone! I'll keep generating the Google map.

BTW, today I have a lot of raking of leaves to do in RL, so we'll see if I can carve out some time later today to write. Once I finish raking leaves, I may spend my time tonight adding detail to our "Key NPC's" topic in the reference section. That topic area needs some work (i.e. photos, descriptions, and links to previous activities) and I expect that it will prove very helpful to you folks in the coming months YEARS.

Job.
Fixt it.
~Bony End of Story~
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Back, I can see the map. Looks great.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:Fixt it.
Oh, now THAT got me laughing! And afraid. :o It will be a long--and very interesting--campaign...

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

BenTheRat wrote:Back, I can see the map. Looks great.
Welcome back, Martin! ;) Thanks for letting me know about the map; I'll definitely continue using that tool.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Boxing match, round 1

Post by Job »

Hello Anatomist,

During our first round
Tommy missed his first punch, but Øyvind hit (roll of 43, under his fist/punch skill of 50%), so Øyvind's punch successfully landed.
Tommy hit on his second punch, and so did Øyvind, so they canceled each other out.
Tommy hit on his third punch, but Øyvind missed, so Tommy's punch successfully landed.

Therefore, Tommy and Øyvind each hit with one punch, a tie.
Here's my roll of 71 to see if I get to describe the round's action
You have to roll over a 71 on a d100 for you to describe the round. (I'm assuming you have to roll greater than me) :)

Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Boxing match, round 1

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:Hello Anatomist,

During our first round
Tommy missed his first punch, but Øyvind hit (roll of 43, under his fist/punch skill of 50%), so Øyvind's punch successfully landed.
Tommy hit on his second punch, and so did Øyvind, so they canceled each other out.
Tommy hit on his third punch, but Øyvind missed, so Tommy's punch successfully landed.

Therefore, Tommy and Øyvind each hit with one punch, a tie.
Here's my roll of 71 to see if I get to describe the round's action
You have to roll over a 71 on a d100 for you to describe the round. (I'm assuming you have to roll greater than me) :)

Job.
Rolled 5 for Øyvinds describe roll (1d100=5)
~Bony End of Story~

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”