OOC: CHAPTER 5 - At Sea

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

Túrin Turambar
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Re: CHAPTER 5: OOC - At Sea

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Not me, at least. James is far too wholesome for that kind of thing. ;)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Anatomist »

Im rather busy RL, so im going to take it easy on the roleplaying the comming weeks.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Job »

Thanks for your responses, Túrin and Anatomist. I know that Katie and Ernest are otherwise preoccupied and won't be joining Peter, so your responses let me know that I should continue Peter's Panama City thread on my own for now, to keep it moving forward towards a conclusion.

Also, I'd like to move the voyage forward even though we have a few loose ends in Panama City, so I'll be creating a separate Chap 5 thread to begin the Panama to Australia voyage, to start that trip while keeping open the leg of the journey in Chap 5 New York City to Panama. This will allow us to avoid confusion with time shifts and to build momentum towards Antarctica while reserving a spot for closing out some conversations and orientation elements in the previous thread. I don't really want to create yet another open thread, but I'd rather do that than have our game stagnate while waiting to finish up a few things in Panama.

I'll work on these posts today.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

As the weather has taken a turn for the worst, every character must make CON rolls to avoid seasickness, CON is multiplied based on the severity of the weather and the displacement of the vessel. In this case moderate gales in the afternoon of the 21st and strong in the evening and the Gabrielle’s ~10,000 ton displacement mean a CONx5 test in the afternoon and CONx4 in the evening. You'll need to make 1d00 seasickness rolls until your character passes.

The tests are made every twelve hours, passing a test allows both normal activity and the chance to make a ‘Sea Legs’ Test (1d100) using the highest of Spot Hidden or Tracking. Once you'’ve found your Sea Legs you can ignore any non-storm weather in future.

Failing a seasickness test means that all manipulation, perception and combat tests are halved until you recover.

Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Øyvind Raknes 10 rols,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3338136/]Spot Hidden and Track is 50% for Øyvind Raknes (1d100=61, 1d100=22, 1d100=99, 1d100=37, 1d100=27, 1d100=53, 1d100=92, 1d100=47, 1d100=1, 1d100=14)[/url]
===000===
George Barrows 10 rols,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3338145/]Spot Hidden is 51% for George Barrow (1d100=91, 1d100=84, 1d100=46, 1d100=63, 1d100=48, 1d100=6, 1d100=61, 1d100=91, 1d100=93, 1d100=51)[/url]
Seems Øyvind will do fine quick, George on the other had will be pucking a ALOT
~Bony End of Story~
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:
Øyvind Raknes 10 rols,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3338136/]Spot Hidden and Track is 50% for Øyvind Raknes (1d100=61, 1d100=22, 1d100=99, 1d100=37, 1d100=27, 1d100=53, 1d100=92, 1d100=47, 1d100=1, 1d100=14)[/url]
Øyvind's CON = 16, so his afternoon roll of 61 against 5XCON=80 is successful.
I'll use his second roll of 22 for his Sea Legs check vs. Spot Hidden/Tracking skill=50, and that is also successful!
Øyvind has no problem!

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:
George Barrows 10 rols,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3338145/]Spot Hidden is 51% for George Barrow (1d100=91, 1d100=84, 1d100=46, 1d100=63, 1d100=48, 1d100=6, 1d100=61, 1d100=91, 1d100=93, 1d100=51)[/url]
George's CON = 11, so his afternoon roll of 91 against 5XCON=55 is not successful.
His evening roll of 84 vs. 4XCON=44 is also not successful.
George is not doing so well... If the storm does not let up soon, he may be incapacitated for a while.

EDIT: Phew! George did not make a successful CON roll until the evening of Sept 23rd! Unfortunately for George, he missed his next roll, checking whether he gained his sea legs. Fortunately for George, the storm ended the next morning, on September 24th... George does not have his "Sea Legs" yet and may suffer during future storms.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Katie's afternoon roll and her Sea Legs rolls were successful!
No further rolls are needed (unless a cataclysmic storm comes some time in the future...).

Job.
jrod
Layman
Layman

Post by jrod »

Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Wade has missed both his afternoon and his evening rolls. Poor Wade. 8-)

EDIT: Wade missed his CON check for the morning for Sept 22nd (rolled 99 vs. needed to be less than 70), so his second roll to gain his "Sea Legs" is ignored.
He made his CON check for the evening of Sept 22nd, but missed his "Sea Legs" roll (rolled 39 vs. needed to be less than 25% Spot Hidden).
Wade will continue to have problems during the storm.

Job.
Túrin Turambar
Layman
Layman

Post by Túrin Turambar »

.10 rolls for James

I don't know how you wish to interpret it, but I suppose that I make my CONx5 (71<85), then fail Sea legs (35>25), then make the CONx4 (67<68), but again fail to acquire Sea legs (35>25).
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Túrin Turambar wrote:10 rolls for James

I don't know how you wish to interpret it, but I suppose that I make my CONx5 (71<85), then fail Sea legs (35>25), then make the CONx4 (67<68), but again fail to acquire Sea legs (35>25).
You are correct in your calculations, Túrin. James made his constitution checks and thereby avoided any embarrasing "accidents", but he failed each Sea Legs check so he'll need to continue making these checks during the storm.

EDIT: Based on your 10 die rolls, James was never actually ill during the rough seas of Sept 21 to 23, but he never gained his "Sea Legs" either. He will have to continue to make CON Checks during future storms.

Job.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Father Rucker has indeed found his Sea Legs! Well done!

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Very good, Seon! Ernest is doing well during the tempest.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

So here is a summary of the status of our team as of the evening of September 21st:

Raknes, Øyvind (Male Dogsled Driver) - Played by Anatomist - SUCCESS! Has his sea legs.
Barrow, George (Male Scientist) - Played by Anatomist - Seasick on Sept 21; needs to re-roll for Sept 22nd and 23rd
Rucker, Father P. J. (Male Priest/Scientist) - Played by Royya - SUCCESS! Has his sea legs.
Roosevelt, Ernest (Male Writer/Explorer) - Played by Seon - SUCCESS! Has his sea legs.
Wright, Katie (Female Pilot) - Played by Mr. Handy - SUCCESS! Has her sea legs.
LeBlanc, Martin Louis (Male Photojournalist) - Played by BenTheRat - If no response by tomorrow from BenTheRat, Job to roll for Martin
Watkins, Wade (Male Physician) - Played by Jrod - Seasick on Sept 21; needs to re-roll for Sept 22nd and 23rd
Bardier, Camille Claud (Female Pilot) - Played by Taokan - If no response from Taokan by tomorrow, Job to roll for Camille
Poole, James R. (Male Cartographer/Surveyor and climbing expert) - Played by Túrin Turambar - Not seasick on Sept 21, but does not yet have Sea Legs; needs to re-roll for Sept 22nd and 23rd

For those who must re-roll for Sept 22nd and 23rd, please roll (8) d100's.
  • Roll 1 = constitution roll for Sept 22nd a.m.
  • Roll 2 = Sea Legs roll for Sept 22nd a.m.
  • Roll 3 = constitution roll for Sept 22nd p.m.
  • Roll 4 = Sea Legs roll ofr Sept 22nd p.m.
  • Roll 5 = Constitution roll for Sept 23rd a.m.
  • etc.
Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Martin valiantly held his own during the storm, and even managed to gain his Sea Legs! Here's a link to Martin's die rolls versus CONX5=80 and SpotHidden=50.

Martin easily made his Constitution check in the afternoon of Sept 21, and then made his Sea Legs check by the slimmest of margins (a roll of 50 against a Spot Hidden skill of 50), but he made it!

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Camille gained her Sea Legs! Here's a link to her die rolls versus her CONX5=75 and SpotHidden=25.

Darn! I was hoping for a few messes in the latrines...

Job.

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”