Page 1 of 1

OOC - GENERAL Campaign Discussion

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:04 pm
by Job
This thread is intended for all general out-of-character discussion which is not specifically related to any certain chapter (which will have their own threads). For example, this area may include character creation, historical digression, or whatever chatting is desired.

Also, here is a link to our campaign summary on the Obsidian Portal Website

Job.

Re: OOC: General Discussion

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:41 pm
by Anatomist

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:39 pm
by Job
Too funny! Thanks for the laugh, Anatomist.
Job.

EDIT: As the Keeper for BtMoM, I feel kinda like this toon too! ;)

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:35 am
by Job
Hello Anatomist,

I made a couple of comments in red font in your character sheet. That seemed the easiest way to provide feedback. As a rule, I won't edit anyone's posts, but this seemed the easiest way to do this. I hope that this is OK.

Job.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:26 am
by Job
Øyvind's character sheet is approved. I have a couple more threads to migrate from EnWorld, and also bit more organizing of details (i.e. newpapers articles, clues, etc.), so I'll give you the signal when it's time to begin posting. We also have a number of character sheets up for review, so I would say that we'll be ready to go in approximately a week.

Some comments on Øyvind's sheet:
  • I love the picture and the details and how nicely he's been converted to BRP! Nice work!
  • His HP seems low for a strong and fit individual, but I'm not used to GM'ing the Chaosium rules. I guess that there's no such thing as a "tank" in CoC? I'll have to familiarize myself with the CoC combat rules, so I'm assuming that your Block and Dodge skills will help a little.
  • Do we need to add an additional skill for your second language, English? Your current skill for "Own Language" is, I assume, for Norwegian?
  • Tighty whities. Nice touch. ;)
Job.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:44 am
by Job
Anatomist,

I reviewed George Barrow's character sheet and left comments in red font where I had questions. NOTE: If anyone has a problem with me editing your character sheet to add comments in red font, let me know and I'll put the comments in a separate post. As a general rule, I'll never edit one of your posts; instead I'll suggest changes in an OOC thread. This just seems like a fast and easy way to communicate questions/edits on the character sheets, which are somewhat lengthy and complicated. And FYI, I always save your original character sheet in a separate text file before editing it, just in case I make a finger fumble or we later find a need to examine the original.

Next up, hopefully tomorrow night, I'll review Mr. Handy's and Seon's character sheets.

Thanks!
Job.

Equipment

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:04 am
by Job
Below is the first of a number of posts that I plan to make to generate discussion regarding our campaign. I'm interested in getting everyone's opinion about these things since it's YOUR campaign too, and I don't want to make things too strict that it takes away from the fun. My primary objective of the campaign is for us to have fun. If you don't agree with something--or if you violently agree with something--I'd be happy to hear from you.

Equipment: Since this is a campaign about an expedition to Antarctica, what equipment our teams bring along (or forgets to bring along) is VERY important! Therefore, I'd like to have everyone prepare their equipment list as completely as possible prior to your character's start in the campaign. I'll need to approve all equipment lists and, in general, will only reject items that are extremely rare (e.g. mythos items, gatling guns, items from the future) or that don't fit with your character. If we get to Antarctica and you suddenly remember an item that you neglected to put on your sheet, but think that your character would've remembered, then I'll need to make a roll to determine if it was available and you'll need to make an INT roll to determine if your character would've remembered to bring it. So there will be a chance that you won't get that item, even if that item is extremely important! Be sure to take some time to think through your equipment!
Here's a sample list of items that you should consider so that I can approve them and so that we don't later have regrets:
  • Ammunition for your weapons
  • Special protective clothing, if any; the expedition will provide standard cold weather clothing and climbing equipment, but not things like army helmets or hidden pistol holsters or ankle sheaths for a knife
  • Unique lighting equipment
  • Unique hiking & climbing equipment (for an explorer or guide?)
  • Special weapons, such as throwing knives or brass knuckles
  • Equipment that is unique to your profession, such as a typewriter or camera or stethoscope
Some things will be obvious that your character would've remembered, even if you neglected to put it on your sheet (for example, an author would not forget paper and pens), but you should not risk leaving your equipment behind! Don't depend on a benevolent Keeper. ;)

I'll make one last call at the start of our campaign (in a week or so) to remind everyone to update your equipment lists.

Job.

BtMoM Classic? Or BtMoM Custom?

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:50 am
by Job
I plan to run a slightly modified version of the BtMoM campaign wherein some details are changed, and I'd like to do this so that not everything is exactly known by our players and readers, and so that I can have a bit of fun being creative in certain instances. In fact, I've already inserted and written a few minor twists into the chapters, some of which haven't yet played out totally, so you've already seen a few changes here and there.

My questions for this are:

1. Have you read BtMoM, or any BtMoM threads or descriptions, so that you already know the general storyline or some parts of it? Or are you totally in the dark about BtMoM and have simply heard that it's a deathtrap, mindblowing experience and you just want to experience it? It doesn't matter to me whether you've read it already; I'm just interested in hearing whether you might already know some of the details.

2. Do you think it would ruin the campaign if I made some changes? Do you think that I should stick closely to the story as written? Or would you rather see a few new twists since that might make it a bit more interesting?

Thanks,
Job.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy
I haven't read BTMOM, but I did read some of the threads in Raiko's game (from the arrival in Antarctica up to the current point, where the expedition has found Lake's camp). I don't think making changes would ruin the campaign, but I'd prefer it to be run as much by the book as possible so that I get the experience the authors intended.

I'm going to be very busy for the next week, but I should be able to put together an equipment list late next week.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:22 am
by Seon
I have read the short story BTMOM, but not the Campaign if there is any difference. Of not, I don't think making changes would ruin the campaign either.

Either way, I will be paranoid.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy
The short story is ATMOM (At the Mountains of Madness). I did read that a long time ago, but I don't remember much of it.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:37 am
by Anatomist
Note to self: check equipment again.

Regarding the campaign. I dont mind the twists. I've repeatedly read the ATMOM story up the years since i first got it in 1991, i must have read the story some 20 times now :geek: And it's why ive insisted so much in playing this campaign. The book is goooooooood!

I know from friends that have played the campaign over a table that the story isint that similar to the book, so ive definitive got some surprise moments waiting for me. :) In my mind twists are good, makes the game interesting to ruin for you as GM as well. Which will reflect on us the players im sure.

-A

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:31 pm
by royya
As the others - I read H.P Lovecraft’s story of the mountains but not the campaign adventure. Twisting the campaign as you see fit is what doing you a good DM.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:59 pm
by royya
Job,

I updated my character - please note the Cthulhu Mythos points I allocated - I placed 5% but I'm letting you to rule about it - a reminder, check the GM notes that I copied from ENworld about Father P.J Rucker and his past experiment with the Mythos.

Roy

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:53 pm
by Job
Mr. Handy wrote:I haven't read BTMOM, but I did read some of the threads in Raiko's game (from the arrival in Antarctica up to the current point, where the expedition has found Lake's camp). I don't think making changes would ruin the campaign, but I'd prefer it to be run as much by the book as possible so that I get the experience the authors intended.

...The short story is ATMOM (At the Mountains of Madness). I did read that a long time ago, but I don't remember much of it.
Seon wrote:I have read the short story BTMOM, but not the Campaign if there is any difference. Of not, I don't think making changes would ruin the campaign either.

Either way, I will be paranoid.
Anatomist wrote:Regarding the campaign. I dont mind the twists. I've repeatedly read the ATMOM story up the years since i first got it in 1991, i must have read the story some 20 times now And it's why ive insisted so much in playing this campaign. The book is goooooooood!

I know from friends that have played the campaign over a table that the story isint that similar to the book, so ive definitive got some surprise moments waiting for me. In my mind twists are good, makes the game interesting to ruin for you as GM as well. Which will reflect on us the players im sure.
Royya wrote:As the others - I read H.P Lovecraft’s story of the mountains but not the campaign adventure. Twisting the campaign as you see fit is what doing you a good DM.
Thanks for quick responses, everyone! That gives me a good feel for our group and it sounds as though the campaign, as written, will be a surprise for most, if not all, of you. Our "Beyond the Mountains of Madness" is actually a sequel to Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" novella, so the stories are different and your reading of Lovecraft's story won't spoil your surprises, but as a reminder, you must play your characters as if they do not have the knowledge of what happened during "At the Mountains".

I expect that our campaign will play out slightly differently from Raiko's campaign because all of your characters and in-game responses will be different than those of his players, and also because I am planning those minor changes that I mentioned. My changes will be minor and not major ones, though, and I do plan to adhere to the main BtMoM story line (don't worry Mr. Handy, I will make sure that you will experience all the death and madness that Chaz envisioned...), so if you'd rather be surprised/shocked/disturbed during our game (and if you can fight off your curiosity), then I recommend that you avoid reading other BtMoM threads.

Job.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:01 pm
by BenTheRat
trying to catch up.

Yea read AtMoM a long... time ago in a galaxy... oh never mind. Anyway, never read BtMoM.

Character posted. At least we get good pics as we all die. ;)

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:15 pm
by BenTheRat
Ok, caught up on all the threads. I know your still posting stuff, but I am confused on where we are starting.

Chapter 2 has 3 posts to it (older I know) and seems well before chapter 5.

But then you mention we are already at sea, which is why we used the older characters. I didn't go back and read on the old forum to catch up to ch 2, just confused.

BTW, love that avatar, one of my favorite movies of all time, have about 4 copies of it, all different versions.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:22 pm
by Job
BenTheRat wrote:Ok, caught up on all the threads. I know your still posting stuff, but I am confused on where we are starting.

Chapter 2 has 3 posts to it (older I know) and seems well before chapter 5.

But then you mention we are already at sea, which is why we used the older characters. I didn't go back and read on the old forum to catch up to ch 2, just confused.
Hello BTR,

Yeah, I can see why it would get confusing because there are a number of IC threads open, and they have different timelines. I also have not yet finished migrating my threads from EnWorld to Play@YSDC, so there's a lot of loose ends to tie up in this area, too. The best way to understand the status of the campaign is to keep your eye on this thread: BtMoM Campaign Status.

You'll see that only 2 chapters are completed out of 6 that have been started. Even though some chapters are still occurring back in NYC in the past (chapters 2 and 4) despite the fact that our players have also departed for Antarctica (chapters 5 and 5a), that's actually OK because I expect that the earlier chapters will just add background detail as we continue on with the Chapter 5 threads. If ever we encounter a conflict with something happening in the past in NYC versus something that's happening in the future in Antarctica, then we'll discuss it and work it out in a logical fashion.

I started chapter 5 before finishing the other chapters to keep the story moving and to keep everyone's interest while we continued with detective work in NYC in chapters 2 and 4. Otherwise, our story would move very, very slowly while waiting to complete each chapter in sequence.
BenTheRat wrote:BTW, love that avatar, one of my favorite movies of all time, have about 4 copies of it, all different versions.
Agreed! I have 4 copies as well. You have excellent taste in movies! ;)

Job.

Magic in CoC and the Occult Skill

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:39 pm
by Job
OK, here's another one of those topics to discuss: Magic in CoC and the investigator's Occult skill.

As I was reviewing character sheets, I became a little confused about how a character's Occult skill compares to their Cthulhu Mythos rating. Fortunately, I found a thread that helped explain the difference and I thought that I'd pass it along: Yog Sothoth.com discussion thread.

Based on the above discussion, a character with a good Occult skill can identify or partially understand whatever mythos effect/artifact/monster/spell they are experiencing, but only from a human perspective or historical basis. They will not truly understand the full implications, otherwise they'd be insane.

For our campaign, I suggest and expect that our PC's will not be very likely to be able to cast or understand a magic spell. If a PC does get to the point that he is able to cast a spell (I will entertain this possibility), then that PC is literally insane--or close to it--and is essentially a threat to the expedition.

Your thoughts?

Job.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:29 pm
by Anatomist
The rules might say so, but im not of the opinion of "have to be near madness" to cast/understand spells. Im of the opinion of making spells more accessible to the PC, not that it should be easy... In my experience of 15 years fooling around playing rpg's is that i once have gotten mythos knowledge, could never use it as my character went mad after few minutes. Was frustrating.

How interesting wouldn't it be (roleplaying wise) that the Phd in anthropology did understand what was happening, that it was a spell by a being far more powerful then himself, and that he could use the knowledge to defeat the being, help the group, instead of going mad for 1d6 months? or go catatonic for the rest of the campaign?

Dear GM be evil but let the PC play the role he made the char for ;) (a little while) before he go bananas :twisted:

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:34 am
by Job
Hello Seon,

I made a couple of comments in red font in your character sheet. Please take a look at these questions/items.

Thanks!
Job.

EDIT: RP Notes - We now have to work up a logical plan/story as to how Ernest gets into the expedition.
  • As you mentioned earlier, we can come up with an idea as to how Ernest can fly with Katie (Mr. Handy's PC) to join the expedition at Panama or Australia, or even to meet the ship on the seas. You'll need to work this in with Mr. Handy's character story, so keep an eye on our discussions regarding this over the next week or so.
  • We'll need to roleplay the action that Ernest takes to apply. A couple of suggestions are 1) similar to Mr. Handy's character, he can submit a letter of introduction/application to Starkweather in NYC (which would technically occur prior to departure - chapter 1 or 4) and give a reason for delay in joining the expedition such as a prior work commitment. Or 2) We could have Ernest somehow connected to an expedition member such as Professor Moore, and we can roleplay his late addition through letters or meetings in Panama or Australia.
  • I'm also open to any ideas that you may have.
Job.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:00 am
by Job
Hello Mr. Handy,

I've reviewed your character sheet for Katie and have no changes at this time, although please note that I could not see the images that you attached. Once you add your equipment, I'll give her sheet the final approval.

General Comment: Her MS degree in Physics is an interesting choice!

RP Notes: We now have to work up a logical plan/story as to how she gets into the expedition.
  • As you mentioned earlier, she can fly to join the expedition at Panama or Australia, or even to meet the ship on the seas. I would not recommend a sea landing because she'd have to abandon her plane -- Professor William Moore only had enough room and fuel on the ship to transport the planes that are currently loaded.
  • We'll need to roleplay the action that Katie takes to apply. A couple of suggestions are 1) she can submit a letter of introduction/application to Starkweather in NYC (which would technically occur prior to departure - chapter 1 or 4) and give a reason for delay in joining the expedition such as a prior flight commitment. Or 2) We could have Katie somehow connected to an expedition member such as Douglas Halperin or Professor Moore, and we can roleplay her late addition through letters or meeting in Panama or Australia.
  • I'm also open to any ideas that you may have.
Job.

Re: GENERAL OOC Discussion

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:16 am
by royya
I began to re-read the parts where Rucker joined and I must say - It's fantastic.
Good job Job, the happy memories are coming back. :)

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:04 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:The rules might say so, but im not of the opinion of "have to be near madness" to cast/understand spells. Im of the opinion of making spells more accessible to the PC, not that it should be easy... In my experience of 15 years fooling around playing rpg's is that i once have gotten mythos knowledge, could never use it as my character went mad after few minutes. Was frustrating.

How interesting wouldn't it be (roleplaying wise) that the Phd in anthropology did understand what was happening, that it was a spell by a being far more powerful then himself, and that he could use the knowledge to defeat the being, help the group, instead of going mad for 1d6 months? or go catatonic for the rest of the campaign?
Philosophically, I agree that this would be fun to play out, peeking into the life of a human who begins to wrestle with his/her mythos knowledge and begins to test their powers, with successes and failures. I would not want to be anywhere near that fictional person in Real Life, but playing this out in our game would present all sorts of excellent roleplaying opportunities! If we get a superior roleplayer to handle this task, one who can subtly juggle the moral, psychological, and physical/extra-physical implications, then I'd be willing to run with it and let the story sort itself out, and will not shy away. I would not refuse someone the opportunity to burn brightly, yet flame out quickly in our game!

The seduction of a team member by the powers/elders and that team member's decent into madness would be VERY interesting to explore, although I believe that there would be a strong tendency for it to end badly, gruesomely, disturbingly. It would be glorious! :twisted:
Anatomist wrote:Dear GM be evil but let the PC play the role he made the char for ;) (a little while) before he go bananas :twisted:
I plan to add or enhance areas in the game where our teams might "recover" to some extent, but these areas would become noticeably less frequent and effective in the latter chapters. If a character chooses to dabble in the mythos, then they must accept the risk of going bananas... I will prolong the Fun (capital "F") as long as I can, and will do my best to make sure that the characters don't flame out too quickly. I'm looking forward to some enthusiastic debate about the insanity rules.

Job.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:04 pm
by Job
royya wrote:I began to re-read the parts where Rucker joined and I must say - It's fantastic.
Hello Royya,

All of your abilities and skills areas looked fine; no changes. I made a couple of comments in red font in your character sheet in the "Equipment" and "GM Notes" section. Please take a look at these questions/items.

Thanks!
Job.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:44 pm
by Job
Hello BenTheRat,

I've looked over your character sheet and have no changes. Martin Louis LeBlanc is approved for use.

Job.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:16 am
by Job
Please note that we now have a "Reference" subforum for our BtMoM game (it can be found in a separate box just above our table of chapter IC and OOC links). Raiko graciously created this subforum at my request when I noticed that our list of topics was starting to get quite lengthy and confusing. You'll find your character sheets in this subforum, along with the threads of maps, photos, newspaper articles, NPC's, etc.

Our home is starting to take shape! The walls are up, the roof is on, and now I'm putting in the plumbing and electrical wiring...

Job.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:09 am
by Seon
Fixed character as much as I could and filled out the inventory, including plans on what to do in case of my inevitable descent into Insanity (Who said that insanity isn't fun?!). WIll work on backstory later.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:06 am
by royya
Job wrote:
royya wrote:I began to re-read the parts where Rucker joined and I must say - It's fantastic.
Hello Royya,

All of your abilities and skills areas looked fine; no changes. I made a couple of comments in red font in your character sheet in the "Equipment" and "GM Notes" section. Please take a look at these questions/items.

Thanks!
Job.
I will fix the equipment. I copy paste it from ENworld and the GM note as well.
I forgot to add EDU skill points due to age - I allocated the 20 points .

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:05 pm
by Job
Hello Anatomist,

I've taken one last look at George Barrow's character sheet and have added two last changes in red font. Please send me a PM when you've finished your update.

Thanks!
Job.
Job wrote:Anatomist,

I reviewed George Barrow's character sheet and left comments in red font where I had questions. NOTE: If anyone has a problem with me editing your character sheet to add comments in red font, let me know and I'll put the comments in a separate post. As a general rule, I'll never edit one of your posts; instead I'll suggest changes in an OOC thread. This just seems like a fast and easy way to communicate questions/edits on the character sheets, which are somewhat lengthy and complicated. And FYI, I always save your original character sheet in a separate text file before editing it, just in case I make a finger fumble or we later find a need to examine the original.

Next up, hopefully tomorrow night, I'll review Mr. Handy's and Seon's character sheets.

Thanks!
Job.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:20 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Hello Anatomist,

I've taken one last look at George Barrow's character sheet and have added two last changes in red font. Please send me a PM when you've finished your update.

Thanks!
Job.
Job wrote:Anatomist,

Thanks!
Job.
fixt

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:29 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:fixt
Excellent! George Barrow's sheet is approved.

Job.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:12 pm
by Anatomist
You are giving us a heads up in this thread when we can start posting, right?

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:08 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:You are giving us a heads up in this thread when we can start posting, right?
Yessir! I have a few more housekeeping items to complete (like adding a few more links to the key EnWorld items, some known details about Starkweather and Moore, and some minor information about the SS Gabrielle NPC crew), and then will kick things off with a posting here--and also some starting items in each IC thread--and I'll send a PM to each player.

I apologize for taking so much time to get things organized, but for a play-by-post campaign of this size, being able to find information fairly quickly is key, especially when some of that information is spread across two different websites. By the way, if you folks have any suggestions for improving how things are organized, please be sure to post your ideas or send me a PM! I'd be happy to hear from you.

I expect that we'll be starting things off during this week, within a few days. I am excited to get things going!

Job.

Re: OOC - General Campaign Discussion

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:25 pm
by Job
At Last! (to echo our start of Chapter 5 - At Sea)

Our BtMoM campaign is officially re-started today! Be sure to check the IC threads that start shifting towards the top of our topics queue because you'll start to see things moving along, just as the inexorable momentum of the U.S.S. Gabrielle carries our intrepid explorers nearer and nearer to the crystalline wastes...

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:33 am
by Job
Wow! There are a lot of threads running in this campaign!

Job.

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:36 pm
by Anatomist
Its gonna be a mess until we get some of them completed :P

Do i understand it right if i say you want us to use the OOC: thread of each chapter to post our rolls? It just seems convenient to me doing so in the IC: thread. Easy to se you know. Maybe a Spoiler-Button tag would be bether then moving it to the ooc?.
Rolls with [Spoiler-Button],[the rock and rolling goes here]

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:47 pm
by Job
Yes, you are right. We should probably use spoiler tags to post the rolls in the IC thread.

I was suggesting that we post them in the OOC thread because it would make reading the IC story line thread seem more like reading a novel, but I see where it can get confusing if we cross-post between IC and OOC threads.

OK, so let's post all die rolls with spoiler tags in the IC thread. :)

Job.

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:21 am
by Mr. Handy
I've finally caught up on all the posts made in the last week. I've edited new pictures into my character sheet, and the equipment list will be added at some point during this weekend. I'll be adding Katie's telegram to Starkweather soon to the Chapter 4a IC thread as well. Please let me know when I can make an appearance to that thread.

I have an alternative suggestion for including dice rolls in the IC threads without disrupting the story flow at all. Check this out.

You've already been embedding links in text using a similar method. You can do the exact same thing with a link to a roll on Invisible Castle. Aside from the blue underlined text, it's completely transparent to the reader. If you want to see the actual rolls, you can simply click on the link. If you don't, you can ignore it. The text in the link should describe the success or failure of the roll. The link above has step by step instructions for embedding links to Invisible Castle rolls in text (and for using it in general, though those instructions are a bit dated - there is now a separate field for Campaign Name, for instance). I've been using this technique in Zombie Apocalypse for years to good effect, and I use it in my other games as well.

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:38 am
by Job
Thanks Mr. Handy! That's a great suggestion for linking the die rolls (and one that should've been obvious to me...). *sigh*

Phew! That is one extremely informative link to your set of CoC guidelines for a play-by-post campaign!

Job.

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:48 pm
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome! The guidelines that have accumulated over the years are geared more towards Zombie Apocalypse and include house rules that are just for that campaign, though there is a lot there that is generally useful. The first post there details how to use Invisible Castle, and there's one later on that explains how to use spoiler buttons (added when they became available on this site).

I've edited my equipment list into my character sheet, so Katie should be ready to go.

"Are you kidding? I was born ready!"

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:20 pm
by royya
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"Are you kidding? I was born ready!"
After you'll see the mountain chain in the South Pole you will not repeat this phrase. :)

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:00 pm
by Job
Oh geez! That sounds like a dare for Katie!

On a different topic, I am eagerly awaiting Camille's player's return and also Katie's arrival on the expedition. If you've read any of Starkweather's history and letters and posts, you can well imagine the fun interactions of our ultra-courteous commander (?) with our team of not one, but TWO female pilots. I expect a lot of lighthearted roleplay punctuated with episodes of terror. 8-)

Job.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:09 pm
by Mr. Handy
Katie can't resist a challenge. That's why she's here!

I'm looking forward to this too. It'll be good to meet Camille, and it should be fun giving Starkweather an earful in stereo.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:49 am
by Job
In the interest of providing an immersive experience, I've been playing around with adding audio clips to my campaign.

Here is a link to the post where I've inserted an audio clip of the U.S.S. Gabrielle embarking on their voyage from NYC

I try to use a lot of photos and, now, hopefully adding audio will add to everyone's enjoyment. Let me know what you think!

Job.

P.S. You can switch on the "repeat track" icon in the little player to listen to the clip repeatedly while reading/writing for our campaign! 8-) I found that I have to occasionally click on the GoEar browser tab to activate the repeat track function, but I just jump immediately back to my other active tab.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy
Nice! I like using audio and images in my games too, though I wasn't the first to do so here. I've done it most notably in Zombie Apocalypse, but I've also used it on occasion in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:58 pm
by royya
I placed a photo of father Paul James Rucker in the character’s thread

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:00 pm
by Job
royya wrote:I placed a photo of father Paul James Rucker in the character’s thread
Very nice, although he looks a little too happy... I'll fix that for you in the game. 8-)

Job.

Skill Increases

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:30 pm
by Job
I've made a few changes to how I track skill increase rolls. Since we have quite a few characters and a number of threads open, I felt that I needed to improve this recordkeeping.

First, I've added a new thread entitled "OOC - Skill Increase Rolls" so that you, as a player, can easily see if you need to roll for any skill increases. You won't have to look through the many open threads, or check any PM's that you may have received from me, to find if you should roll for an increase. Simply check the first post in this new topic thread and look at what's due for your character.

Second, for all classes taken or that you plan on taking, I'm now listing the students (your player characters) in the class schedule (here's a link to the Sept 13 schedule). This way, you can easily see what I have you signed up for.

Third, on your character sheet, I'll record a history of your skill increases. When you successfully increase one of your skills, not only will I record the increase, but I'll now also started indicating when and what activity resulted in the increase.

I think that these changes will make it easier for you to spot and track your skill increases. If you see that I've missed something, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Job.

Re: OOC - GENERAL Campaign Discussion

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:40 pm
by Job
Hello all,

I have relatives here for the U.S. holidays, so I won't be posting much for a few days. I may occasionally find a moment to check in, but won't have any time alone for creative writing. I'll be back when the relatives depart.

Happy Thanksgiving (for our U.S. players)!

Job.

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:55 pm
by Anatomist
Enjoy your birds!

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:13 am
by BenTheRat
It was awesome fowl!! Great stuffing, delicious pie and an excellent football game to boot!!

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:17 pm
by Ewoklord
Job said I should post here if I wanted to join the game (about a month ago, so if a spot is no longer available I understand. I got a bit distracted by Skyrim, and I thought for sure I had checked this within the last month. I'm more available now that I've got a few hundred hours in the game.) Anyways, I'd love to play in this game, it'll be the first I've actually played in, rather than run. I'm not exactly sure what character concepts would fit, but I'm sure you guys will be helpful in that regard. Thanks!

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:39 am
by Job
Ewoklord wrote:Job said I should post here if I wanted to join the game (about a month ago, so if a spot is no longer available I understand. I got a bit distracted by Skyrim, and I thought for sure I had checked this within the last month. I'm more available now that I've got a few hundred hours in the game.) Anyways, I'd love to play in this game, it'll be the first I've actually played in, rather than run. I'm not exactly sure what character concepts would fit, but I'm sure you guys will be helpful in that regard. Thanks!
Hello Ewoklord,

Alas, I'm terribly sorry but you were about a day too late in posting your follow-up request as I am now at the maximum number of players that I think I can reasonably handle. However, I've been running this game for a while now and PbP games--especially lengthy ones such as BtMoM--usually experience a bit of turnover over time, where some players drop out of the game for various reasons. If you're interested and don't mind watching and waiting, I'll add your name to our "alternates" list; simply send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you an email when a spot opens up. This game will be going on for a while, and we've barely scratched the surface of the campaign, so I feel fairly safe in saying that you would be hearing from me and that you'd most assuredly get an opportunity to die gloriously on the ice! :o

Job.

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:36 pm
by Ewoklord
Missed it by *that* much! Alright, I'll send you a PM. I look forward to dying a horrible death!

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:44 am
by Job
I know that you folks will be astonished...

...but I've posted another video that I consider to be a work in progress for chapter 2 - Death of a Sea captain. I just couldn't resist taking advantage of the music! I'll update the video, adding images, as our chapter progresses.

You can view it here.

Now I guess that I'll get back to writing. 8-)

Job.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:21 am
by Job
I've updated the "OOC - Player Action Needed" thread to identify all die rolls that are awaiting for your characters. Most of you have die rolls to make, so be sure to check this thread.

For your ease of reference, here's a link.

Job.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:52 am
by Job
For those of you who are new to this game, I thought that I'd outline a few thoughts that describe how I handle multiple threads and the order of my responses.

I try to respond to each posting from each player in the order that they are received. In other words, if you responded first, then you will likely get the first response back from me. In this game, because we have numerous open threads, you will many times see me jumping around to respond to one thread, then a different one, etc. Normally, I jump from one thread to another because, as mentioned above, I'm trying to stick to my pattern of responding to all players' responses in the order that I recieve them.

I attempt to accomplish this by keeping a "To Do" list of which players' posts need my responses, and in which order. I feel that this best ensures that no players are ignored, it rewards those players who are very active, and also helps to keep the entire story moving, not just one thread.

On occasion, I may deviate from this approach, for example:
  • Sometimes I'll post story elements that are not a response to a player, but simply an event that happens. Or maybe I get sidetracked on one of my creative YouTube efforts that you've seen...
  • On occasion, I may decide that a player's post does not require a response from me (e.g. if two player's characters are speaking to each other, and not to an NPC)
  • I may run a few quick responses in one thread, even though other threads might be ahead in the queue, to build momentum and quickly move that thread along. This is usually pretty rare, but sometimes this keeps things interesting (from my Keeper's point of view, anyway).
It may happen that I overlook one of your posts, and that's usually because I've made a mistake and did not add your item to my To-Do list. If you are waiting for me to respond to you, and you believe that I may have overlooked your posting, please be sure to send me a PM. I don't mind at all if you do this. The more communication between you, the players, and me, the Keeper, the better--and more fun--our story will be.

I hope that this helps. Comments are always welcomed.
Job.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:20 pm
by Job
Some of you have commented that there are skills for this campaign on your character sheets which are not described in the standard CoC rules. This is true!

Here I've posted copies of pages from the BtMoM campaign book which describe a number of additional skills (e.g. Meteorology or Polar Survival) as well as two skills which have been augmented by the authors (i.e. Climb and Throw) for Antarctic exploration.

Job.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:35 pm
by Job
I think that Santa will be bringing me a very Cthulhu Christmas!
  • To tickle my creative writing skills in preparation for the cold Antarctic environment, I'm looking forward to receiving a Jack London compilation! (surprisingly inexpensive, I might add).
  • To enhance my meager attempts at crafting YouTube videos, I may be getting the Adobe video editing tools! Not the professional tools, mind you; those cost hundreds of dollars! But maybe the package for your average Joe. Maybe. Learning Adobe tools is sometimes a lot of work, though...
  • And finally, to delve deeper into the madness, and to spark my attempts to befuddle play-by-post players, I'll be getting a compilation of writers who pay homage to Lovecraft. Ever hear of the "Fat Face" short story?
What Cthulhu gifts (or general horror gifts) will Santa be bringing you? Any good horror movies, or books, or music?

Job.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:47 am
by royya
I will shape some Cthulhu potato pancake for Hanukah and hope that Cthulhu will not invoke out a war over here.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:02 am
by Job
royya wrote:I will shape some Cthulhu potato pancake for Hanukah and hope that Cthulhu will not invoke out a war over here.
A very good use of potatoes! We're taking the action to Antarctica in our game, so hopefully that'll draw cultists away from the Middle east.

Here's wishing for a peaceful holiday season.

Job.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:23 am
by Job
Whilst scouring the internet, looking for photos that are useful for our campaign, I occasionally come across some that not only useful, but are VERY cool!

The two below photos are my favorites so far. A panoramic view of Balboa from the 1930's?!? Not only can we see the Gabrielle (or what could be the Gabrielle...) and the ferry, but also the train station and even the exit/entrance for the Panama Canal! Incredible.

And the above photo of New York City from the 1930's with the horse-drawn cart is just outstanding, very beautiful and artfully captured. My research showed that horse-drawn carts were used through the 1960's for delivering goods to the shops. Today, they are licensed for use only as tourist attractions.

Job.

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:03 pm
by Anatomist
Im back 19 des. If necessarily NPC my chars.

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:08 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Im back 19 des. If necessarily NPC my chars.
Ooh! Does this mean that I can send George Barrow barhopping with Peter Sykes in Panama City? If you've seen the movie "Hangover", you might have some idea of what Mr. Sykes is capable of... :twisted:

Job.

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:29 pm
by Job
FYI, I'll be doing a bit of traveling over the next couple of days, so my posting might be very light, depending on circumstances.

Job.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:09 am
by Seon
We are all going to die, aren't we?

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:35 am
by Job
Seon wrote:We are all going to die, aren't we?
Aww. Now why would you say that? 8-) Your character might instead go insane...

Seriously, though, your characters will be up against it. However, provided that you make good decisions and have a lot of luck, no problem, you folks will live. Although you might wish that you hadn't.

Job.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:47 am
by Seon
Oh, I'm fine with insanity. In fact, I love every moment of playing an insane character.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:48 pm
by Job
Seon wrote:Oh, I'm fine with insanity. In fact, I love every moment of playing an insane character.
Then I think that you're playing in the right game! :shock:

Job.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:07 pm
by Anatomist
Hey all! Happy holidays! :)

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:49 pm
by royya
Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah guys

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:55 pm
by Túrin Turambar
Merry *insert whatever you are celebrating*! (For me it is Christmas, though.) ;)

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:44 pm
by Job
To all of our players, I wish you and your families a happy holidays!

Thanks for all of your creativity and humor. You've certainly made things fun!

Also, FYI, I've been caught up in the holiday prep and celebrations, so might be posting lightly during this period. I'll see if I can steal some time to keep things moving along, though. 8-)

Job.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:32 pm
by Job
I am back, working on our story, today and tomorrow. I'll then be traveling to visit extended family for a few days in advance of the New Years, so I'll be active for the next couple of days, and then quiet for a few days, and then back again.

Here's hoping for a wonderful 2012!

Job.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:52 pm
by Job
Hello again, all.

I'm posting this to simply let everyone know that I'm still traveling and visiting with family (roughly 150 miles from my home) and plan to return home on Monday, January 2nd. I expect that I'll be back on the forum shortly after that.

Happy New Years! In a day-and-a-half, that is.

Job.

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:01 pm
by Job
Ah, thankfully it's the weekend! It's been a busy week and I can now relax and write a little. 8-)

Job.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:25 am
by Job
I've just finished a few days of prep, party, and cleanup from our Super Bowl (here in the U.S.) so I've been away from Play@YSDC for a few days. I'll be getting back into writing mode within the next day or so. Sorry for the lapse, but...

...it was a good game, and a good party. ;)

Job.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:58 am
by Gomez
Hey Job! I am very glad to see you running this game again. I make sure to keep up with this game.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:09 am
by Job
Aww, Gomez, it's great to hear from you! :D

I saw your PM and will simply respond here that I'm honored that you're continuing to stay abreast of our progress. You and I were talking about this game way, way back in 2005 or 2006! If you ever feel like taking on the role of some strange creature from Lovecraft's imagination--within the boundaries of BtMoM, of course-- then let me know. :twisted: Our team is getting closer and closer to the ice.

Job.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:42 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Aww, Gomez, it's great to hear from you! :D

I saw your PM and will simply respond here that I'm honored that you're continuing to stay abreast of our progress. You and I were talking about this game way, way back in 2005 or 2006! If you ever feel like taking on the role of some strange creature from Lovecraft's imagination--within the boundaries of BtMoM, of course-- then let me know. :twisted: Our team is getting closer and closer to the ice.

Job.
Gomez. Holy shit, now im getting scared.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:05 pm
by Gomez
Job wrote:Aww, Gomez, it's great to hear from you! :D

If you ever feel like taking on the role of some strange creature from Lovecraft's imagination--within the boundaries of BtMoM, of course-- then let me know. :twisted: Our team is getting closer and closer to the ice.

Job.
Let me start to practice for my role.

"Tekeli-li..... Tekeli-li.......!!". ;)

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:46 pm
by royya
Gomez wrote: Let me start to practice for my role.

"Tekeli-li..... Tekeli-li.......!!". ;)
:lol:

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:03 am
by Job
Hey all,

Just to let you know, I've been down ill for the past couple of days. Hopefully I'll be feeling better this weekend and back to writing.

Job.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:19 pm
by royya
Job wrote:Hey all,

Just to let you know, I've been down ill for the past couple of days. Hopefully I'll be feeling better this weekend and back to writing.

Job.
A potion of CLW might do the trick ... oh, it's a CoC thread, not a D&D - better go to St. Mary ...

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:34 am
by Job
I should've taken your advice and drank that Cure Light Wounds potion! I've just gotten over a bad, bad flu. I'm finally feeling a little better today. Geez, I've been very sick a couple of times now in just the past few weeks! What is this?!? The dark forces are working against me...

Anyway, I hope to be feeling well enough to spend some time tomorrow and this weekend catching up. I apologize for the delays.

Job.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:45 pm
by Job
IN THE NEWS: Alien Invasion Threatens Antarctica!!!

Not Cthulhu, though. Still, kinda interesting. ;)

Job.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:06 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:IN THE NEWS: Alien Invasion Threatens Antarctica!!!

Not Cthulhu, though. Still, kinda interesting. ;)

Job.
lol

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:53 pm
by royya
I will be offline in the upcoming weekend. NPC me as necessary.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:31 am
by Job
royya wrote:I will be offline in the upcoming weekend. NPC me as necessary.
OK Roy! Thanks for the "heads up".

Job.

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:35 pm
by Job
Since I think that we have a lot of fun things going on here--and since we are so very close to arriving on the ice--I've spent a little time trying to add visibility to our game. So here's what I've done so far to "advertise" what we're doing:
  • I've added a signature to my Yog_Sothoth.com account that directly provides a link to our game, and also a brief headline as to our status (e.g. "Steaming across the Pacific Ocean towards Australia");
  • I've posted a couple of times in a few BtMoM threads on Yog_Sothoth.com so that any reader might find their way here;
  • I've linked my early chapters on the EnWorld website to our continuing game on Play@YSDC;
  • On the RPG_Geek.com website, under the BtMoM product listing, I've added a link to our game. Scroll down to the "Web Links" section to see it.
  • I've just recently established a game space on the Obsidian Portal website to use as a companion space for this BtMoM game. We will continue to run our BtMoM game here because the Obsidian Portal website is not used to run games; Obsidian Portal has a few tools to help summarize and headline the things that take place in our game. I have not yet added much detail to our Obsidian page (aside from a banner), but will certainly add links to our Play@YSDC pages (and invite each of you players into that game area) once I've become familiar with its layout. I'll play with it over the coming weeks.
I believe that any Keeper who might want to run the BtMoM campaign would find a lot of extra details here to help ease their burden, for example they would have easy access to a lot of extra maps (some that I've edited with explanatory text), photos, and scenario descriptions. Even our tour of the SS Gabrielle (in the "Chapter 5: NYC to Panama" thread with Mr. Handy's help) would provide a keeper with a lot of extra information for their game.

If anyone else has ideas as to how we might increase our game's readership, I'm open to suggestions. I was trying to figure out how to add our game's URL to come up in Google searches, but I'm not sure that I've done it correctly...

Thanks,
Job.

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:33 pm
by Anatomist
Ive said it before Job. Your a freaking (Evil-)God good GM.

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:28 am
by Job
Thanks Anatomist!

There are a lot of roleplaying gamers who visit the Obsidian Portal website, so I'm optimistic that we'll pick up a few CoC readers from there. Even if they just read the summary information that I/we post on Obsidian Portal, then we'll have that many more eyeballs into our game. Another benefit is that if any readers follow the link from our page on Obsidian Portal to our game at Play@YSDC, then it'll increase the traffic to Play@YSDC and perhaps lure additional players into other games that are being run on the site.

I think that the Obsidian Portal site offers a slightly cleaner and more colorful interface to summarize and highlight game information. The Obsidian site cannot be used to post detailed threads of action and conversation, so we'll definitely need to keep those threads going here on Play@YSDC (and I have no intention of moving the game). The trick will be to keep two sites in synch, but if it works out as I expect, I don't believe that'll be too difficult.

If you guys are OK with it, please PM me your email addresses and I'll invite you to our Obsidian Portal BtMoM campaign page. This will allow you to add information to that area.

Job.

EDIT: I just finished setting up our portal's banner and background images and I'm very pleased with it. Be sure to take a look! And now that I've gotten that started, I'll get back to moving our story along tonight. 8-)

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:44 am
by Job
We approach our one-thousandth post on Play@YSDC! :D

Job.

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:13 am
by Ewoklord
Eesh, that's a lot of ammonia. Here's hoping I don't die.

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:26 am
by Job
Using my brilliant powers of deduction:
  • EwokLord entered our 1,000th post here, just above, while pondering his death. Very appropriate for our 1,000th post! :)
  • Anatomist entered our 1,001st post here, while "sampling" a bottle of vintage brandy with James Starkweather! This also seems well in keeping with our theme! ;)
Thank you all for being here, including Mr. Handy, Royya, Túrin, Seon, Jrod, and Taokan! We have a very talented and fun team. You folks keep me at the game and on my game. 8-)
Job.

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome, and thank you for running this game! You're doing great, and I'm having a lot of fun! :)

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am
by Job
Mr. Handy wrote:You're welcome, and thank you for running this game! You're doing great, and I'm having a lot of fun! :)
Coming from you, Mr. Handy, I consider that a compliment of the highest order! Thank you.

Job.

Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:46 pm
by Anatomist
FYI. Ill be going into my exam period for the next 2 weeks. Ill try to punch in a post or two but if im not responsive for more then 24 hrs, NPC as needed.

-A

Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:48 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:FYI. Ill be going into my exam period for the next 2 weeks. Ill try to punch in a post or two but if im not responsive for more then 24 hrs, NPC as needed.

-A
Good luck on your exams, Anatomist! Get an A! You're not taking Anatomy, are you, by chance? ;)

Job.

Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:34 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:FYI. Ill be going into my exam period for the next 2 weeks. Ill try to punch in a post or two but if im not responsive for more then 24 hrs, NPC as needed.

-A
Good luck on your exams, Anatomist! Get an A! You're not taking Anatomy, are you, by chance? ;)

Job.
I tok Anatomy years ago!

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:21 pm
by Job
Sorry for the lower post rate this past week. I've had two routine-altering events:

1) My son was in a car accident with my vehicle. My son is just fine (fortunately), but my car was a total wreck, so I've been dealing with insurance companies, rental car companies, and now am working with auto dealers and looking at new cars. This has taken a lot of time and I don't yet have a replacement. Hopefully I'll find a nice deal soon.
2) The Philadelphia Flyers are in the hockey playoffs! I've been watching their games with a few friends of mine. The Flyers aren't doing so well this week, though, so this distraction may or may not end soon. GO FLYERS!

Thanks for your patience.
Job.

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:29 am
by Ewoklord
Glad to hear your son's okay! And it's fine, real life should always take precedence!

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:33 am
by Mr. Handy
Agreed!

I've been watching the Flyers too. Things don't look so good right now for them, but they're not licked yet.

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:38 pm
by Job
Thanks everyone, for your patience.

My distractions are nearing an end. The Philadelphia Flyers lost miserably, so I no longer will be watching them in the evenings.

And I have located a used car in decent shape to replace the one that my son trashed; I pick it up today. Viewing, selecting, and negotiating for a used auto takes a surprising amount of time...

This weekend, I travel out of state for my sister's graduation from college, so I expect to be back writing early next week upon my return home.

The expedition continues next week,
Job.

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:27 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Thanks everyone, for your patience.

My distractions are nearing an end. The Philadelphia Flyers lost miserably, so I no longer will be watching them in the evenings.

And I have located a used car in decent shape to replace the one that my son trashed; I pick it up today. Viewing, selecting, and negotiating for a used auto takes a surprising amount of time...

This weekend, I travel out of state for my sister's graduation from college, so I expect to be back writing early next week upon my return home.

The expedition continues next week,
Job.
Just say it as it is. You cant do this without me :P
FYI: Still in exams

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:06 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Just say it as it is. You cant do this without me :P
FYI: Still in exams
I miss you, Anatomist! Running your characters as NPC's is not nearly as much fun as causing them harm them when you play. 8-)

Job.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:22 am
by Túrin Turambar
Katie was saved by "the grace of God" ...

Pffft! What does God have to do with it? By the grace of James Poole, I would say. :lol:

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:51 pm
by Job
I think that Katie was barely conscious at the time and has no memory of James' rescue. ;)

Job.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:41 pm
by Túrin Turambar
Well, that is the only possible explanation. :D

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Funny, I don't remember having amnesia..."

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:56 am
by royya
Folks, try not to kill your characters before we reach the frozen land. Don’t spoil Job’s fun ... he wants to butcher us on the ice.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:10 pm
by Job
The most fun for me, as a Keeper, is to see where you players--and the rolls of the dice--take us. Having Starkweather die while saving Doug would've been awful (he's a fun NPC!), but the story would've gone on to it's conclusion with Professor Moore stepping up to the plate. And having Starkweather and Doug die would've been interesting in other ways. Well, maybe Doug's puppeteer, EwokLord, wouldn't agree... ;) I am very glad that both survived, though.

Exploring Antarctica in the 1930's, and the Mountains of Madness, will be a very, very difficult challenge for all involved. I can promise that, as Keeper, I will do my best to make sure that your characters experience that environment in person (in our collaborative writings and in photos and the occasional video/audio project), and that all of you have the freedom to impact the story, and that those characters who do survive will wish that they had not, and that you as players will understand why. That's my mission. 8-)

Job.

Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:25 pm
by Job
Hello all,

This note is just to alert you that I will be going out of state for a wedding this weekend, so will be offline for a few days. I should be back home on Monday, May 28th, and will plan to resume moving things along upon my return.

Job.

Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:25 pm
by Anatomist
Im back. Im finally a bachelor in computer science :D
Had a A on my final delivery and im getting very well paid job quite soon :D

Im ready to kick Cthulhu's ass any day, anytime.

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:18 am
by Job
Congrats on the bachelor's degree! Well done, Anatomist!

Now you're free to go insane. ;)

Job.

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:16 am
by Seon
I'm allergic to insanity. Can I get a freebie in this game?

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:21 pm
by Anatomist
Seon wrote:I'm allergic to insanity. Can I get a freebie in this game?
LOL

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:06 am
by Job
Seon wrote:I'm allergic to insanity. Can I get a freebie in this game?
A freebie? I'm not sure that I understand. Do you mean that you want Ernest to have a special bonus against going insane? Or are you asking for Ernest to catch the next boat back to New York City? ;)

Job.

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:52 pm
by Seon
If I say yes to the first one, will Ernest be gruesomely eaten by a grue, thus giving him immunity to the effects of insanity?

And I my sanity gets low, can I psychoanalyze myself to get some of it back?

:P

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:27 pm
by Job
Hi Seon,

Hmm. Here's my best shot at answering your questions.

QUESTION 1: Do you mean that you want Ernest to have a special bonus against going insane? If I say yes to the first one, will Ernest be gruesomely eaten by a grue, thus giving him immunity to the effects of insanity?
ANSWER 1: I like your option! :)

I do like to add little bonuses In my game, and I plan to award what I call "character points"--which are not normal for CoC--that will give players a bit of extra hope that their characters will make it to the end (whatever that proves to be). At certain key points in the game, I will award these character points and will alert everyone about it in this OOC thread (and will track them on your character sheets). For example, you will get a point for arriving in Antarctica. You may use these points for:
  • Re-rolling a die roll
  • Adding 1d10 to a skill die roll after you've made it
  • Heal your character of 1d6 hit points (if standing still and not damaged for a round)
  • Heal your character of 1d6 San points (if standing still and not damaged for a round)
  • Other uses as suggested by player and approved by the Keeper
  • NOTE: Only one point can be used per round

QUESTION 2: And I my sanity gets low, can I psychoanalyze myself to get some of it back?
ANSWER 2: The rule book doesn't say that a player cannot use the Psychoanalyze skill on themselves, but the ability to do so may be affected by whatever insanity afflicts them.

Job.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:10 pm
by Seon
What if I start talking to myself? Can I fix it by psychoanalyzing myself?

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:17 am
by Job
Seon,

I did not see anything in the rules that prevent a character with the psychology skill from psychoanalyzing themselves, so I will allow it. But as I mentioned above, if your character fails a roll and gains a type of insanity that could make it more difficult--or impossible--to perform the self-analysis, then we'll need to take that into account. If any experienced CoC keepers are reading this and believe that I have misinterpreted this rule, then I welcome your comments.

Job.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:20 am
by Job
I have started a new job this week and have been tied up with training and other orientation activities, so I've been a little quiet this week. If I am unable to do much during the work week, I will certainly make sure that I catch up on the weekends. Hopefully, I'll get back to normal hours sometime soon.

Job.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:09 am
by Anatomist
Ive been quite busy as well the last weeks looking for work and working my ass of at this company where i have been working the last year.

Have you been thinking of replacing BenTheRat as Martin? I would love to see the character being a player tbh. :)

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:50 pm
by Túrin Turambar
About self-analyzing:

As far as I know (both my parents are psychologists) that would be impossible, especially in Psychoanalysis (the branch of Psychology that dominated completely during this time).

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:28 pm
by Seon
I wasn't actually being serious when I asked tha question.

I can see it now.

"Why hello there Doctor,"

"Why hello there too, Doctor."

"Here, let me grab some tea for you."

"No need, I'll do it myself."

"..."

"..."

"So, are you going to grab that tea, or am I going to do it?"

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:18 am
by Job
My new job's workload is pretty heavy, however I'm starting to develop new routines and I hope to carve out some time each day to exercise and relax. If all goes well, I should be able to at least post a couple of entries during the weekdays and catch up on all responses on weekends. As you see, I was able to make a couple of posts this evening.
Túrin Turambar wrote:About self-analyzing:

As far as I know (both my parents are psychologists) that would be impossible, especially in Psychoanalysis (the branch of Psychology that dominated completely during this time).
As for the Psychoanalysis skill discussions above, I can understand why it would seem strange for an investigator to be able to psychoanalyze himself, but the 6th edition rules do not strictly forbid it. Further, I remember reading somewhere that a key part of a psychologist's training is that they must spend a great deal of time performing self-analysis in order to understand and improve their own thinking and behaviors. Would this not suggest that an investigator with the Psychoanalysis skill could spend time assessing his own insanity and perhaps "staunch temporary and indefinite insanity for a day or so" as the rules state?

I'm not a psychologist, though. Túrin, I understand that CoC is a game, but could you ask your parents whether this (i.e.an investigator psychoanalyzing themselves to fend off an insanity) might be within the realm of possibility. Your parents will probably decide that I need psychoanalysis for asking this... If you've already asked them, and if they respond "No", then I'll accept that and will rule that an investigator cannot Psychoanalyze themself.

This is a wonderful discussion!

Thanks!
Job.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:51 am
by Anatomist
Hope you find a routine that permits you some creative thinking :)

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:58 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Have you been thinking of replacing BenTheRat as Martin? I would love to see the character being a player tbh. :)
Yes, aside from you and Mr. Handy, our player base seems to have become rather sluggish.

Tomorrow I'll post a note in the "Looking for players" thread, asking if anyone would like to assume control of our ill-fated photojournalist. Well, maybe I shouldn't yet call him "ill-fated". ;)

As for the rest of our expedition members:
  • I see that Jrod has posted recently, so I'm assuming that his posting rate will soon improve.
  • I'll send a PM to Taokan to see what she wants to do.
  • Turin has recently posted in our OOC thread
  • Seon also posted recently in our OOC thread
Maybe I'll send PM's asking if folks are simply distracted by the warm, sunny weather or if it'd be OK for me to go on a recruiting campaign. Any thoughts?

Job.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:57 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:Have you been thinking of replacing BenTheRat as Martin? I would love to see the character being a player tbh. :)
Yes, aside from you and Mr. Handy, our player base seems to have become rather sluggish.
Your forgetting Royya on that list, i dont think his posting is sluggish, but the priest havent seen to much attention from the other pc and npc's.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:56 pm
by royya
I'm here.
For now ... the people on the ship do not need a priest/scientist ... just wait for them to encounter the hideous creatures of the ice and they'll run to get some divine comfort from Father Rucker.

Job, as for the Psychoanalysis - As a CoC GM back home, I had a similar case and I did not allow the psychology professor to analyze himself.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:25 pm
by Job
Thank you, Royya, for confirming your continuing status! As I was pushing all of that new employee training into my brain, apparently my BtMoM details began falling out...
And Ewoklord (Douglas Orgelfinger's puppeteer) posted not too long ago.

I suspect that we're nearing the end of our "ammonia event" and the ship will soon re-start its engines. This should perhaps give all of our players more reason to participate. I'll PM all of our quiet players once the Gabrielle gets back underway.

Job.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:16 pm
by Job
I sent a PM to Captain Impossible, a player who had expressed interest in our game some months ago and who is on our alternates list. We'll see how he responds. If he does not wish to play Martin LeBlanc, then he may join us by taking over one of the Gabrielle's crew.

Job.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:33 am
by Seon
Yeah, trying to catch up with all that's happened and where Ernest is now.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
I'll be away at a convention, leaving mid-afternoon on July 4 and returning the night of July 8 (though I might not be able to post until the night of July 9).

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:53 pm
by Job
Mr. Handy wrote:I'll be away at a convention, leaving mid-afternoon on July 4 and returning the night of July 8 (though I might not be able to post until the night of July 9).
A convention? What convention? Something RPG related? More detail please. ;)

I have not yet heard back from Captain Impossible yet, but it is a holiday week in the U.S. I'll give him another week or so before posting a note on the recruiting section.

Job.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:55 pm
by Job
Seon wrote:Yeah, trying to catch up with all that's happened and where Ernest is now.
Excellent news, Seon! Just jump back in. Ernest was helping out on the main deck (having fetched equipment for Professor Moore) in the Chapter 5 Panama -> Australia thread, if I recall correctly.

Job.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:43 pm
by Ewoklord
Just posting to say that I'm still here.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:10 pm
by Mr. Handy
Job wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:I'll be away at a convention, leaving mid-afternoon on July 4 and returning the night of July 8 (though I might not be able to post until the night of July 9).
A convention? What convention? Something RPG related? More detail please. ;)

I have not yet heard back from Captain Impossible yet, but it is a holiday week in the U.S. I'll give him another week or so before posting a note on the recruiting section.

Job.
Yes, I'm going to DEXCON 15, in Morristown, New Jersey. It's going to be a lot of fun. There's plenty of CoC goodness going on there, and I'll get to try out Delta Green, Trail of Cthulhu, and a couple Cthulhu Live LARPs using the new edition (3.5) of the rules, including one very awesome-looking Star Wars/CoC crossover set in the Old Republic era on Nar Shaddaa. There are plenty of other games going on there too.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:28 pm
by Túrin Turambar
Job wrote:My new job's workload is pretty heavy, however I'm starting to develop new routines and I hope to carve out some time each day to exercise and relax. If all goes well, I should be able to at least post a couple of entries during the weekdays and catch up on all responses on weekends. As you see, I was able to make a couple of posts this evening.
Túrin Turambar wrote:About self-analyzing:

As for the Psychoanalysis skill discussions above, I can understand why it would seem strange for an investigator to be able to psychoanalyze himself, but the 6th edition rules do not strictly forbid it. Further, I remember reading somewhere that a key part of a psychologist's training is that they must spend a great deal of time performing self-analysis in order to understand and improve their own thinking and behaviors. Would this not suggest that an investigator with the Psychoanalysis skill could spend time assessing his own insanity and perhaps "staunch temporary and indefinite insanity for a day or so" as the rules state?

I'm not a psychologist, though. Túrin, I understand that CoC is a game, but could you ask your parents whether this (i.e.an investigator psychoanalyzing themselves to fend off an insanity) might be within the realm of possibility. Your parents will probably decide that I need psychoanalysis for asking this... If you've already asked them, and if they respond "No", then I'll accept that and will rule that an investigator cannot Psychoanalyze themself.

This is a wonderful discussion!

Thanks!
Job.

I discussed this with my mother today and the answer was naturally a bit ambiguous. Sigmund Freud, who developed the foundations of Psychoanalysis claimed that it was dangerous and not constructive to try and analyze yourself. In 1942, Karen Horney, a Neo-Freudian, wrote a book claiming that self-analyzis could be a good method. She was however rather alone to have this view. So, in the 20's and 30's, no Psychoanalysis educations would advise self-analysis. On the other hand, many of the forerunners in the field had (of course) no therapists of their own, but had to analyze their own emotions and inner worlds. The self-analysis in Psychologists' training that you referred to is conducted with the help of other Psychologists that have already finished their education. You are "treated" yourself to understand how the method works.

The conclusion would be that people who had learnt Psychoanalysis during this time would have learnt that self-analysis did not work and was potentially dangerous, but that very special individuals might have the insight into themselves to be able to do self-analyzing to some degree. Most people, however, would need another as guide on their inner journey.

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:18 am
by royya
Mr. Handy wrote:Yes, I'm going to DEXCON 15, in Morristown, New Jersey. It's going to be a lot of fun. There's plenty of CoC goodness going on there, and I'll get to try out Delta Green, Trail of Cthulhu, and a couple Cthulhu Live LARPs using the new edition (3.5) of the rules, including one very awesome-looking Star Wars/CoC crossover set in the Old Republic era on Nar Shaddaa. There are plenty of other games going on there too.
Cthulhu LARP ... Sounds interesting.
A fallout based game with CoC rules can be nice as well.

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:30 pm
by Job
Ewoklord wrote:Just posting to say that I'm still here.
Excellent! Thank you for responding, Ewoklord. As you may deduce from the Panama to Australia thread, the engines of the SS Gabrielle (and our BtMoM game) are about to rumble back to life.

Job.

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:32 pm
by Job
royya wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:Yes, I'm going to DEXCON 15, in Morristown, New Jersey. It's going to be a lot of fun. There's plenty of CoC goodness going on there, and I'll get to try out Delta Green, Trail of Cthulhu, and a couple Cthulhu Live LARPs using the new edition (3.5) of the rules, including one very awesome-looking Star Wars/CoC crossover set in the Old Republic era on Nar Shaddaa. There are plenty of other games going on there too.
Cthulhu LARP ... Sounds interesting.
A fallout based game with CoC rules can be nice as well.
Yes! Mr. Handy, it's your obligation to tell us about your LARPing experiences! And Delta Green! I love Delta Green.

Job.

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:38 pm
by Job
Túrin Turambar wrote:I discussed this with my mother today and the answer was naturally a bit ambiguous. Sigmund Freud, who developed the foundations of Psychoanalysis claimed that it was dangerous and not constructive to try and analyze yourself. In 1942, Karen Horney, a Neo-Freudian, wrote a book claiming that self-analyzis could be a good method. She was however rather alone to have this view. So, in the 20's and 30's, no Psychoanalysis educations would advise self-analysis. On the other hand, many of the forerunners in the field had (of course) no therapists of their own, but had to analyze their own emotions and inner worlds. The self-analysis in Psychologists' training that you referred to is conducted with the help of other Psychologists that have already finished their education. You are "treated" yourself to understand how the method works.

The conclusion would be that people who had learnt Psychoanalysis during this time would have learnt that self-analysis did not work and was potentially dangerous, but that very special individuals might have the insight into themselves to be able to do self-analyzing to some degree. Most people, however, would need another as guide on their inner journey.
Thank you for the excellent background research, Túrin!

Hmm. For the purposes of this game--and to keep things simple--I guess that we should limit the Psychoanalysis skill such that there would be no game benefits for an investigator to analyze themselves.

Job.

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:58 am
by Túrin Turambar
Yes, that seems like the best way to incorporate it.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy
I just got back tonight, and I still have a lot of catching up to do. I'll tell you about the games I played at DEXCON when I have the time.

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:21 am
by Job
Sorry for the delays, everyone. My laptop died due to overheating and I was forced to order a new one. It took a number of days to get it ordered and received, but it's here now.

I'm still setting it up the laptop, loading programs and data, but am nearing completion. I hope to be back posting this weekend.

Job.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:43 am
by Job
Sheesh! Setting up a new laptop is really a lot of work...

I struggled for hours attempting to get my MSOutlook to send emails (essential to me!), and to get MSMessenger to allow IM's (very important!), and to get MSLive work with a couple of my Steam games (fun fun's sake!), all to no avail. I tried googling for the problems and spent hours setting configurations of the firewall and antivirus packages, and resetting passwords and such. I finally decided to try uninstalling all of the bloatware that came installed on the laptop. That finally worked.

Now I can finish migrating my data for my taxes and finances and all other applications, including my BtMoM pics and videos and files, and reloading my Adobe Elements packages and such. I still have a ways to go, but transferring files and loading apps should be easier than debugging configurations.

Anyway, even though I'm not completely done, I'm done enough to start posting again.

Job.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:53 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Sheesh! Setting up a new laptop is really a lot of work...

I struggled for hours attempting to get my MSOutlook to send emails (essential to me!), and to get MSMessenger to allow IM's (very important!), and to get MSLive work with a couple of my Steam games (fun fun's sake!), all to no avail. I tried googling for the problems and spent hours setting configurations of the firewall and antivirus packages, and resetting passwords and such. I finally decided to try uninstalling all of the bloatware that came installed on the laptop. That finally worked.

Now I can finish migrating my data for my taxes and finances and all other applications, including my BtMoM pics and videos and files, and reloading my Adobe Elements packages and such. I still have a ways to go, but transferring files and loading apps should be easier than debugging configurations.

Anyway, even though I'm not completely done, I'm done enough to start posting again.

Job.
8-) goodie

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:58 am
by Job
Welcome Aine!

For those of you who haven't seen the posts in the Game Recruitment forum, Aine has agreed to join our expedition, taking over Martin LeBlanc, our photojournalist.

Jump in wherever you'd like, Aine. Martin is currently meeting with George Barrow, James Starkweather and Professor Moore in the "Death of a Sea Captain" thread. And in the "Chapter 5 Panama-->Australia" thread, I believe that Martin has recovered from his gas inhalations and is now back on deck with Professor Moore and the teams who are hauling food from the refrigerated hold.

Job.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:48 am
by Anatomist
Welcome Aine! :)

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:45 am
by royya
Anatomist wrote:Welcome Aine! :)
I second it.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:04 pm
by aine
Aine flourishes a bow to one and all. "Thankyou, looking forward to some desperate madness!"

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome aboard, Aine!

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:41 am
by Job
FYI, I'll be travelling on business this week to Dallas, TX, and will have little to no access to the internet during that time, so I'll be quiet for the week. I leave tomorrow, Sunday, and return late Friday night. Hopefully, I'll be able to begin writing again next Saturday.

Job.

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:49 am
by Job
On a different topic, I've realized (too late) that I should've split off a couple of separate threads from our "Chapter 5: Panama --> Australia" storyline, perhaps one side thread to track the events below deck in the refrigerator compartment, and maybe another side thread to track events in the Medical Facility. Because I tried to track all of these in one single thread, and because some posts and responses were occasionally delayed, our flow of events and the story timeline has become a bit mixed up in terms of what happened when. So in the future, I'll be quicker to create side threads if I see that a story element may be of substantial length on its own.

Job.

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:12 pm
by Job
REMINDER: I'm about to pack my belongings and depart for the airport. I'll be offline for the week due to work.

Job.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:10 pm
by royya
I’m out for a vacation. I will resume full posting in a week from now.

Roy

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:21 pm
by Anatomist
royya wrote:I’m out for a vacation. I will resume full posting in a week from now.

Roy
have a nice tripp Roya!

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:14 am
by Job
royya wrote:I’m out for a vacation. I will resume full posting in a week from now.

Roy
Yes, enjoy yourself Roy! Keep an eye out for any shady characters! There seems to be some lurking danger for our expedition and we wouldn't want our priest to turn up missing.

Job.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:04 pm
by Ewoklord
Would I be recovered from the ammonia by now, or am I still out?

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:58 pm
by Job
Ewoklord wrote:Would I be recovered from the ammonia by now, or am I still out?
Yes, Ewoklord, it's been about an hour-and-a-half in game time since Douglas Orgelfinger initially succumbed to the ammonia fumes, so he will have recovered enough while on a tank of oxygen to begin moving around. He will continue to have burning in his airways and slight difficulties in breathing, and he won't be able to overly exert himself because of this, but he is able to move about and interact with the expedition members.

Job.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:35 am
by Ewoklord
Alright, cool.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:06 am
by Job
I've been hindered by work this week, and have been traveling out of state for another wedding, so my posting rate has dropped considerably. I'll hopefully be back writing on Monday night.

job.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 am
by Job
I've been catching up with my writing this evening after a week of long work hours and also a trip out of state to visit relatives.

Unfortunately I'll probably be a little quieter than usual this coming week as well due to travels for both business and to attend a wedding on the weekend. But after that, I hope to be able to remain home for a couple of months and my writing time should return to normal.

Job.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:29 am
by Anatomist
All i all good news! :)

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:38 pm
by royya
I'm going to be away for a conference in the UK. My internet access will be limited till the 23 September.

Roy

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:17 pm
by Job
My travels now appear to be over (for a couple of months). I'm catching up on delayed house and family activities that backed up while I was traveling. And tonight should be my last long-night of work--there's been a lot of these lately.

So Phew! I should be back writing this week.

Job.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:08 pm
by Job
I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Mr. Handy in person in Philadelphia this past weekend. We met at a nearby game store, then had dinner, and then were able to take a few hours to play the Mage Knight boardgame. It was great fun! Thanks Mr. Handy for meeting my daughter Rachel and I! I hope that we get to do it again sometime soon, and maybe at an upcoming game conference--I'm still trying to align my work calendar so that I can go the the Con, but can't yet confirm.

So, can I blame my low posting rate this past week on Mr. Handy? :P

This coming weekend is looking pretty open, so I should be able to catch up on things and get a little momentum with the story.

Job.

P.S. The Mage Knight boardgame is a lot of fun! It's a bit complicated, but had lots of fun options and action. I'll definitely be playing it again.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome! I'm glad you had fun, and I'm looking forward to gaming with you and Rachel again. I hope you're able to rearrange things so that you can go to Morristown. Sure, you can blame your low posting rate on me, as long as I can blame mine on you. :P I am getting my games moving again now, though. I have a three-day weekend coming up, so I should be able to keep them going. I might even be able to start The Shadow Over Dunwich, the third game in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign, though I still have a lot of preparation to complete and two new players still haven't created characters. If Rachel is interested, I can fit her in too, and the same goes for you, of course.

Mage Knight is an awesome game, and the rules become second nature once you're used to them. I hadn't played in months, so I'd forgotten some of them, but I did recall them when I needed them. The full game takes even longer and has even more complexity. There's the conquest of cities, which may look impossible at first glance, but you can eventually get powerful enough to take them on singlehandedly - or you can team up with other players to take them down. Once a city is conquered, you can interact with it in various ways. There are also the full set of advanced actions and the elite units. One of the great things about this game (and about all of this designer's games) is that it gives you so many choices. There are multiple ways to play the game, all of them valid and potentially leading to victory.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:33 pm
by Ewoklord
Sorry I haven't posted in a bit, I've been trying to keep up with what's going on, and I'm just a bit unsure on how to jump in to the action. I'll just try to follow someone else for a while or something to get the hang of things.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:01 am
by Anatomist
Hi Ewok i know how hard it can be to start up posting on a game that has gone on as long this has.
My advice is to trow yourself into it. If you make mistakes im pretty sure the IC characters of us all will tell your character what is what and how it fits together. In just some few pages ( :lol: ) your char will be up and running and with some sort of relationship to some of the other character.

-A

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:53 am
by Ewoklord
Alright, thanks.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:07 am
by Job
Phew! Just recovering from a flu.

Ewoklord, yep, just jump in! The water's warm. :)

Job.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:27 pm
by Anatomist
Im traveling to visitit my dying father in Chile today. I do not know if im going to have access to internet, so if im off the grid a two weeks time you now know why.

-A

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:04 am
by Job
I'm still here! Sorry for my lack of posting lately. With my recent illness, workload, and prep for Hurricane Sandy, I've been forced offline for a bit. I expect to be back in operation soon.

Job.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:39 am
by Mr. Handy
I'll be away and unable to post November 2-4 and November 9-18.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:01 am
by Anatomist
Back. :)

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:09 am
by royya
I'll be away from 2.11 - 8.11 with limited internet access.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 pm
by royya
I'm back to full posting.
Where's Job ?

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:49 pm
by Anatomist
No idea.

But im sure he be back son-ish (TM)

Maybe we should do some dialog in the diff threads we are in. We have been lacking some good inter-char-interaction these two last chapters.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:30 pm
by Job
Hello everyone. Sorry for my time away. I am beginning to feel better and I hope that everyone is still interested in continuing.

The holidays in the U.S. are fast approaching. Normally these are very busy times for me with family activities, visiting relatives, shopping trips, special cooking, etc. I will do my best to post as often as possible during this hectic period, but you may see an occasional pause here and there.

But I am back, and I am dreaming of devious things. :geek:

Job.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy
I just got back last night, and I'm ready to continue.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:29 pm
by Ewoklord
I've forgotten which dice roller we're using, and in what thread we should place the results.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:55 pm
by Mr. Handy
We've been using Invisible Castle, and I've been embedding links to my rolls in my IC posts.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:02 pm
by Ewoklord
Okay, thanks.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:09 pm
by Ewoklord
Hm, I'm having trouble logging into my Invisible Castle account.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:52 am
by Anatomist
Ewoklord wrote:Hm, I'm having trouble logging into my Invisible Castle account.
I just did without problem.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:42 pm
by Job
Hi Ewoklord,

As mentioned by the players above, we've been using Invisible Castle for our rolls and have been embedding the link to the specific roll(s) in the text of our posts.
Here is a link to a recent post of Mr. Handy's wherein he uses our usual format for rolling dice

I've heard of Invisible Castle occasionally not working for certain players. I'm not sure why, perhaps it is some technical issue with accounts, or laptops, or the actions of the Elder Gods. If you find that you continue to have problems with Invisible Castle, you may use an alternate die roller website, but post a link here so that I may reference it and examine it's features.

Thanks,
Job.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:07 pm
by Ewoklord
I just created another account to make sure that it wasn't just me forgetting the password and it still wouldn't allow me to log in. However, I forgot that you could roll without logging in, so would http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3798422/ this be acceptable?

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:54 pm
by Job
I think that one of the benefits of using an account is that I can search and see all die rolls that you've made as a player. But I searched under Douglas Orgelfinger and it did pull up not only this recent roll, but also the rolls that you made some time ago, so I think that we're OK even if you don't log them against your account, as long as you log them against the Douglas Orgelfinger character as you've done.

Mr. Handy, I think that you have more experience with Invisible Castle. Do you see any reason why it might be a problem for Ewoklord to roll without using his account?

Job.

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:18 am
by Anatomist
Seems the previous image of Geroge Barrow got deleted by imageshack. No idea why, but its no longer there... It has been up and running since 2005 i think when the game started ^^

Testing.

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:42 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Seems the previous image of Geroge Barrow got deleted by imageshack. No idea why, but its no longer there... It has been up and running since 2005 i think when the game started ^^

Testing.

I was missing George. ;)

J.

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy
The main issue with not logging into Invisible Castle before rolling is that you cannot enter anything into the Campaign Name and Note fields (they don't even show up when you're not logged in). This makes it difficult to tell what you're rolling for unless you put some OOC indication within your post.

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:06 pm
by Job
Yes, not having a reference to the campaign, or to what the roll is for (e.g. for Spot Hidden), might become a bit of a problem; once the expedition gets to Antarctica, I suspect that everyone will be making a lot more rolls, too.

Ewoklord, you're probably OK for using the Invisible Castle without an account for now. I'll let you know if it becomes an issue. In the meantime, if something changes--for example if you get a new computer or move to a new address--you should try to create a new account.

Job.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:59 am
by royya
I'll be away from 2.12 to 13.12 to the US. I'll have internet access but little time to post. I guess once per few days.

Roy

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:41 am
by Ewoklord
Could someone else check invisible castle? For me it looks like the site is pretty much gone. Seems kind of weird, though. Don't know why I'm having so much trouble with it.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:09 am
by Anatomist
Ewoklord wrote:Could someone else check invisible castle? For me it looks like the site is pretty much gone. Seems kind of weird, though. Don't know why I'm having so much trouble with it.

http://invisiblecastle.com/

Having no problems with it.

What browser are you using?

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:36 am
by Ewoklord
Now it's working. I'm using Firefox.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:39 pm
by Job
This is excellent news, Ewoklord!

Firefox must kick off some sort of eldritch spell to chase away the shoggoth of technical difficulty.

J.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:44 pm
by Job
As I have found to be normal during holiday times, my posting will be pretty much limited to posting on the weekends. My weekdays will be consumed with work, and then with attending to shopping, decorating, sending cards, making phone calls, and other various holiday prep.

This week I'll be traveling on business from Monday through Friday, so I won't get to even check postings. *sigh*

J.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:52 am
by royya
Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas folks.

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:37 pm
by Job
Yes, to each and every creative writer and reader of this story, I wish you all the best of holidays!

Job.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:12 pm
by Job
This note is let everyone know that I'll be traveling out of state to visit relatives for a couple of days, returning home late on the 29th, and that I expect to be back posting on December 30th. I hope that you've had some excellent holidays and I hope that everyone is ready to reach the ice in 2013!

J.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:33 pm
by Anatomist
Sir yes, Sir!

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:49 pm
by Job
Done with holidays and travels. Done with cleanup. Ready for the ice.

J.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:23 pm
by Job
I've been down ill this past week and am now starting to recover. I'll now be traveling on business for a few days (not the best thing to do when coming off an illness...) and expect to be back writing this coming weekend.

Joe.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:54 pm
by Anatomist
Keep strong! :)

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:11 am
by Mr. Handy
I hope you feel completely better soon.

I should have a lot more time to post starting this weekend, as I'm off next week, though on Thursday afternoon I'll be leaving for a convention and won't be back until Sunday night.

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:35 pm
by Job
Hello all. As you can see, I've found some time this weekend to get back into creative writing mode. Sorry that I've been preoccupied for a couple of weeks; work and personal chores have taken priority.

And Ewoklord, I hope that you're OK with me RP'ing your character to answer a couple of Katie Wright's questions. I very familiar with the ship layout and with other PC's and NPC's, so I figured that it'd be easier for me to respond than require you to search through a lot of previous threads and details.

Job.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:41 am
by Job
Real life work continues to drag me from my fun. Long days and weekend work. Thanks, guys, for your patience.

Job.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:05 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Real life work continues to drag me from my fun. Long days and weekend work. Thanks, guys, for your patience.

Job.

Some of us waited for you for years Job ;) hope things sorting out for you.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:08 am
by Ewoklord
Sorry I've been far too sporadic with my posts. My schedule got a lot busier than I expected the last couple months and I should've informed you guys. And, I know this is late, but if you feel the need to RP my character at any point, Job, feel free to do so.

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:45 am
by Job
Ewoklord wrote:Sorry I've been far too sporadic with my posts. My schedule got a lot busier than I expected the last couple months and I should've informed you guys. And, I know this is late, but if you feel the need to RP my character at any point, Job, feel free to do so.
It's good to know that you're still around Ewoklord. My schedule has also been hectic of late, including some family illness, however I have no intention of letting this adventure go. I'm hoping that everyone remains patient and keeps watching this space. The best is yet to come.

J.

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:50 am
by Mr. Handy
Take all the time you need. I'm still here.

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:24 am
by Job
Mr. Handy wrote:Take all the time you need. I'm still here.
Excellent, Mr. Handy! Thank you for staying with us.

I'm on vacation in a couple of weeks, so I'll be able to check in a bit more often, maybe finish up our trip to Australia, and begin the last leg of the trip to the ice.

J.

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:51 am
by Túrin Turambar
I'm actually also still here, even though I have been unacceptably absent due to a master thesis that doesn't write itself and other hectic aspects of life.

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:51 pm
by Job
Very good, Túrin Turambar! Thanks for responding and I'm glad that you're still around.

Job.

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:54 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'll be away on vacation through the 29th, and again from the afternoon of July 3rd through the 7th, so I probably won't be able to post during those times.

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:27 pm
by Job
We are nearing completion (I think) of our two open IC threads, so I'm toying with the idea of starting a thread for the next leg of our journey: Chapter 5 IC: Australia -> Antarctica. There is actually a fair amount of room for our two existing IC threads to continue on for a while, but not much (I think) will occur that would impact our trip to the ice. If something happens within our NYC investigation thread or our Panama->Australia thread that changes the outcome of the Australia->Antarctica thread, I can retroactively make any needed minor edits.

Hopefully, starting a parallel thread will not be too confusing for folks, and I think that getting started on this next trip will generate momentum and perhaps a bit of renewed interest. What say you expeditioneers? Are you OK with a bit of amibiguity so that we can move on?

Job.

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:48 pm
by Anatomist
Job wrote:We are nearing completion (I think) of our two open IC threads, so I'm toying with the idea of starting a thread for the next leg of our journey: Chapter 5 IC: Australia -> Antarctica. There is actually a fair amount of room for our two existing IC threads to continue on for a while, but not much (I think) will occur that would impact our trip to the ice. If something happens within our NYC investigation thread or our Panama->Australia thread that changes the outcome of the Australia->Antarctica thread, I can retroactively make any needed minor edits.

Hopefully, starting a parallel thread will not be too confusing for folks, and I think that getting started on this next trip will generate momentum and perhaps a bit of renewed interest. What say you expeditioneers? Are you OK with a bit of amibiguity so that we can move on?

Job.
Yes. :)

Seems to me at least that Chap 2 has run it course, i cannot see other possibilities to explore which has not been mentioned and turn down by npc's.

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:06 pm
by Job
Alright Anatomist! It's good to hear from you! And it's good to know that you're ready to sail South to the pack ice.
Anatomist wrote:Seems to me at least that Chap 2 has run it course, i cannot see other possibilities to explore which has not been mentioned and turn down by npc's.
Yes, I could see how it might seem that way. And I'm not at liberty to provide hints that would get your character killed in New York City. ;) You and Martin have actually uncovered quite a bit. It's possible that some of your findings will come back later in the expedition.

Job.

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:11 pm
by Anatomist
Just wanted to share this Facebook group. Hilarious at times. :)

https://www.facebook.com/iaiacthulhufhtagn?fref=ts

Seems a new movie is in the making :D

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:43 am
by Anatomist
Anatomist wrote:Just wanted to share this Facebook group. Hilarious at times. :)

https://www.facebook.com/iaiacthulhufhtagn?fref=ts

Seems a new movie is in the making :D
Here is the trailer:

http://vimeo.com/71253903

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:32 am
by Job
Wow! I don't visit Facebook very often, but hey, this Facebook site may just get me back there! VERY cool

J.

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:17 am
by Job
Due to time limitations, I've mainly been posting in the "Australia to Antarctica" thread. This keeps the team moving inexorably towards the ice.

I do plan to return to the "Panama to Australia" thread when time permits, but I'm hoping that all of you don't mind a little downtime in one thread while the team continues on in another. I'll fix any discontinuity in the storyline later, if any occurs, but I honestly don't expect any issues.

J.

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:45 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote:Due to time limitations, I've mainly been posting in the "Australia to Antarctica" thread. This keeps the team moving inexorably towards the ice.

I do plan to return to the "Panama to Australia" thread when time permits, but I'm hoping that all of you don't mind a little downtime in one thread while the team continues on in another. I'll fix any discontinuity in the storyline later, if any occurs, but I honestly don't expect any issues.

J.
Goodie. :)

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:38 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'll be away at conventions October 31-November 3 and November 8-10, so I probably won't be able to post then. I'm not sure if I'll even be able to post between them, as I work during the week and will have little time to catch up, though I am off November 11.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:15 am
by Anatomist
Mr Handy can you take of my Keeper label? I havent been a keeper for a long time. :)

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy
I don't have time to do it tonight, but please give me a reminder by posting again here on Friday. I should have time during the weekend.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:42 am
by Job
Sorry for the lack of posting - I've been sick with flu followed by terrible cough for almost two weeks. Starting to feel a bit better.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:16 am
by Anatomist
AMn ive been sick as well lately, i had that cough without slime you know, and i had these coughs that was so violent it left me without breath as my lung had collapsed. Terrible stuff!

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you both feel better soon.

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:25 am
by Anatomist
Its the start of the Zombie apocalypse. .........

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:52 am
by Anatomist
You ok Job?

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:29 am
by Anatomist
Hope nothing bad happen to you Job! :)

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:58 pm
by Job
Phew! Things are now starting to settle down for me after 2 months of illness, the holidays, and a recent layoff. I apologize for my lengthy absence and I'm hoping that at least a few of you folks are willing to continue this tale. I'm re-reading through our open threads to refresh my memory and expect to build momentum this week.

Job.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:04 pm
by royya
I'm here

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:59 pm
by Anatomist
yay!

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:20 am
by Job
Outstanding! Thanks for your patience, everyone. In the future, I'll do better to keep you folks aware when I'm ill or when I know that I'll be away for a while.

Job.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:15 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm still here. Welcome back, and I'm glad you're doing better! I've just gotten back from London a couple of days ago, and I'm sick myself with something I caught there, but I'm starting to recover.

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:09 pm
by Job
If anyone would like your character to help Katie (Mr. Handy's character) in the tweendeck hold of the ship during the storm here, just add a comment in this OOC thread and I'll edit the IC thread to add you.

I've also begun thinking that I need to figure out a way to summarize our campaign. We've been running for a number of years and across two bulletin boards, and there's been a LOT of activity since we started so long ago. I'm pondering how to best do it. We've actually been running for such a long time that my summary webpages that I built on Obsidian Portal and also on Google Maps are now no longer working correctly because both of those websites have updated their systems/software. Sheesh! But I'll consider how to best pull it together so that we can make it easier on our gentle readers and also for any fresh blood that we might lure into playing. I'm open to suggestions too.

Job.

P.S. I'm very happy to now be healthy after my long series of illnesses and to now have a bit of extra time to devote to our story.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:26 am
by Anatomist
If im not mistaken Øyvind Raknes should be in the neighbour tweendeck number 2, caring for his dogs? Would Øyvind hear tumbling engines, and try to asist Katie?

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:37 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:If im not mistaken Øyvind Raknes should be in the neighbour tweendeck number 2, caring for his dogs? Would Øyvind hear tumbling engines, and try to asist Katie?
The dogs are housed in Tweendeck number 5 which is a long way from the disturbance in Tweendeck 2. Øyvind might feel the rumbling and booms through the hull, but he probably only hears the dogs barking and their cages shifting and bumping. Would he leave his dogs to investigate? ;)

Job.

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:25 am
by Anatomist
Job wrote: Would he leave his dogs to investigate? ;)

Job.
Dont think so, no.

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:08 pm
by Anatomist
Did i kill the game? :)
Job, are you ok?

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:56 am
by Job
I was sick for a bit and lost my job a number of months ago, so I found very little motivation to write during this period. I really am sorry. The good news is that after 4 months of searching for a job, I've finally landed a very nice position at a company in Chesterbrook, PA, near KoP where I met Mr. Handy. My family is still also experiencing a fair amount of health issues and bad luck, but my new job will help me to get back to writing.

It's all due to the efforts of Hastur to thwart our progress. ;)

J.

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back, Job! I'm sorry to hear things haven't been going well, but I'm glad you managed to find a new job. Meeting in King of Prussia was great! We should do that again some time.

I'm ready to play again when you are, though I'll be away at DEXCON starting in the afternoon of July 2 until the night of July 6, and I might not have time to post until the night of July 7. I have a laptop and I'll have Internet access at the hotel, but I probably won't have time to keep up with this site there, as my schedule is packed.

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:22 am
by royya
I returned from my trip in Europe so I'm ready when you are.
Roy

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:40 pm
by Job
:)

To attempt to finish up our "Chapter 5: IC - At Sea Panama > Australia" thread, I've been building a synopsis (here is a link). This will allow you, as players, to easily remind yourself of--and navigate to--key events in that thread. It is a complicated thread that includes some investigation, so I felt that I should put together this summary before re-starting our writing. It shouldn't take long...

Job.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:43 pm
by Anatomist
Where is my thumbs up?

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:15 pm
by Job
It's good to see everyone back in action!

This morning I'm continuing to add to the synopsis of the "Panama->Australia" thread so that we can continue those investigations of sabotage aboard the Gabrielle. After I'm done there, I'll continue to add to the "Australia->Antarctica" thread.

Job.

EDIT: Wow! Almost four hours of adding to the synopsis... But I've now completed 20 of 25 pages! Gonna take a break. It's coming along. By the way, there was a lot of fun stuff in there! I've noticed that when I read through a lot of entries in a short period of time, I really begin to appreciate how much progress we've made and how many interesting things have been written. :)

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:37 pm
by Anatomist
Is Syrinx joining?

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:38 pm
by Anatomist
...and you write your adding to the synopsis. I was looking for a thread of chapter synopsis but i dont see one, am im mistaken in thinking it exists?

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:51 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Yes, he is. Just need to find a fitting character...

The post is this one, right? viewtopic.php?f=213&t=2857&p=158740#p158739

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:53 pm
by Anatomist
Syrinx wrote:

Im so frikkin blind

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:00 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Is Syrinx joining?
Syrinx has agreed to die on the ice with us! :twisted:

Foolish bravado?

Job.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:06 pm
by Job
Syrinx wrote:Yes, he is. Just need to find a fitting character...

Yes, correct, this is the synopsis of the "Panama->Australia" thread. AND IT'S NOW UP TO DATE! Woo Hoo! I just finished adding all of the links and I hope that it helps everyone. This chapter is a particularly complicated one because of all of the investigations going on, and I think the synopsis helps to put all of the activities in a nice, organized, linear timeline. And anyone can now easily reference a specific post regarding a specific finding.

Be sure to take a peek at it because I'm going to start it back up again.

Job.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:15 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Wait.... You said it would be safe!
*flips through contract*

Periodic surveys of weather changes in sub zero climate. S-M Expedition
"I'm not up for an S/M - mission, man!"

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:41 pm
by royya
I must say the synopsis is quite good - I forgot many things...

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:48 pm
by Job
Thanks Roy! By putting it together, it jogged my memory quite a bit too. Which is good! After all, I am the keeper... :)

Job.

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:15 am
by jbibblesworth
So....any idea where Francisco would be at present?

I confess I'm a bit lost. I'm super impressed that you've put so much effort in cataloging everything, but I'll admit it's a bit overwhelming coming into such an epic campaign this late in the game. :)

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:27 am
by Dave Syrinx
Hi! One shortcut is to enter Fransisco in the search bar over the forum. Then you'll get a chronological list of posts where he is mentioned. That's what I did for Pierce. Works great!
/Dave

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:22 pm
by jbibblesworth
Thanks Syrinx! I followed your advice. Part of the issue was that I was scanning for Francisco as opposed to his nickname, 'Paco'. So Paco's in the thick of things down in the hold! Good news!

So I saw that his char sheet is listed as 'under development', I believe I need a DEX roll. What can I do to get his sheet up and running?

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:26 pm
by Dave Syrinx
My sheet is under consideration too. Make sure you have an equipment list to it. Job will get in touch with you regarding the sheet.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:26 am
by Job
jbibblesworth wrote:Thanks Syrinx! I followed your advice. Part of the issue was that I was scanning for Francisco as opposed to his nickname, 'Paco'. So Paco's in the thick of things down in the hold! Good news!

So I saw that his char sheet is listed as 'under development', I believe I need a DEX roll. What can I do to get his sheet up and running?
Hello Jbibbleworth, I've copied the original character sheet to our Play@YSDC reference area. Here's a direct link to the new, old sheet. The character sheet contains a number of old statistics since we had previously used the d20 CoC game statistics, and we're now using the Call of Cthulhu character rules. We can proceed a couple of ways:
  • Convert the d20 stats to Call of Cthulhu. This seems most reasonable to me since it'll maintain Paco's "spirit". I'm willing to spend a little time this coming weekend doing the conversion if you'd like, or you can convert it yourself if you feel comfortable doing so.
  • You re-roll the stats for Paco from scratch. I'm also OK if you'd like to do this, just let me know.
Job.

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:26 pm
by Job
Immediately after posting a couple of items this past Sunday, my ailing laptop died. I had tried a few things to fix it, but apparently they weren't enough. I've ordered a new machine, so I should be back in action within the week. I'm posting this note from my phone.

J.

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm ready when you are. I am going away from October 12-18 as I said in the absence thread, but I'll have my laptop and hope to have Internet access and time to use it then.

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:09 pm
by royya
I will be away too from the 12-18 October.
-Roy-

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:37 pm
by Job
I have received my new laptop and have been working to get everything installed. I purchased an adapter to attempt to copy all files from my old laptop's hard drives to my new laptop (provided that it isn't totally fried) since all of my photos and files that I've been saving up over time for BtMoM are in that drive.

I'll let you know how it goes.

J.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:49 am
by Anatomist
I recommend you using Dropbox or alike for secure storage of your important files ( also non BtMoM).

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:13 pm
by Job
I actually have an external hard drive that I keep backups on, but had not made a copy of my files in about 6 months. *sigh*

I lost a number of images, but I restored my backup and found quite a bit of my files for BtMoM. All is not lost, but this will teach me to make my backup copies more regularly.

I've also completed rebuilding other apps & files necessary for work and home, so can now turn my attention back to BtMoM.

Job.