OOC - GENERAL Campaign Discussion

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

Túrin Turambar
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Re: OOC - GENERAL Campaign Discussion

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Job wrote:My new job's workload is pretty heavy, however I'm starting to develop new routines and I hope to carve out some time each day to exercise and relax. If all goes well, I should be able to at least post a couple of entries during the weekdays and catch up on all responses on weekends. As you see, I was able to make a couple of posts this evening.
Túrin Turambar wrote:About self-analyzing:

As far as I know (both my parents are psychologists) that would be impossible, especially in Psychoanalysis (the branch of Psychology that dominated completely during this time).
As for the Psychoanalysis skill discussions above, I can understand why it would seem strange for an investigator to be able to psychoanalyze himself, but the 6th edition rules do not strictly forbid it. Further, I remember reading somewhere that a key part of a psychologist's training is that they must spend a great deal of time performing self-analysis in order to understand and improve their own thinking and behaviors. Would this not suggest that an investigator with the Psychoanalysis skill could spend time assessing his own insanity and perhaps "staunch temporary and indefinite insanity for a day or so" as the rules state?

I'm not a psychologist, though. Túrin, I understand that CoC is a game, but could you ask your parents whether this (i.e.an investigator psychoanalyzing themselves to fend off an insanity) might be within the realm of possibility. Your parents will probably decide that I need psychoanalysis for asking this... If you've already asked them, and if they respond "No", then I'll accept that and will rule that an investigator cannot Psychoanalyze themself.

This is a wonderful discussion!

Thanks!
Job.

I discussed this with my mother today and the answer was naturally a bit ambiguous. Sigmund Freud, who developed the foundations of Psychoanalysis claimed that it was dangerous and not constructive to try and analyze yourself. In 1942, Karen Horney, a Neo-Freudian, wrote a book claiming that self-analyzis could be a good method. She was however rather alone to have this view. So, in the 20's and 30's, no Psychoanalysis educations would advise self-analysis. On the other hand, many of the forerunners in the field had (of course) no therapists of their own, but had to analyze their own emotions and inner worlds. The self-analysis in Psychologists' training that you referred to is conducted with the help of other Psychologists that have already finished their education. You are "treated" yourself to understand how the method works.

The conclusion would be that people who had learnt Psychoanalysis during this time would have learnt that self-analysis did not work and was potentially dangerous, but that very special individuals might have the insight into themselves to be able to do self-analyzing to some degree. Most people, however, would need another as guide on their inner journey.
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by royya »

Mr. Handy wrote:Yes, I'm going to DEXCON 15, in Morristown, New Jersey. It's going to be a lot of fun. There's plenty of CoC goodness going on there, and I'll get to try out Delta Green, Trail of Cthulhu, and a couple Cthulhu Live LARPs using the new edition (3.5) of the rules, including one very awesome-looking Star Wars/CoC crossover set in the Old Republic era on Nar Shaddaa. There are plenty of other games going on there too.
Cthulhu LARP ... Sounds interesting.
A fallout based game with CoC rules can be nice as well.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Job »

Ewoklord wrote:Just posting to say that I'm still here.
Excellent! Thank you for responding, Ewoklord. As you may deduce from the Panama to Australia thread, the engines of the SS Gabrielle (and our BtMoM game) are about to rumble back to life.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

royya wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:Yes, I'm going to DEXCON 15, in Morristown, New Jersey. It's going to be a lot of fun. There's plenty of CoC goodness going on there, and I'll get to try out Delta Green, Trail of Cthulhu, and a couple Cthulhu Live LARPs using the new edition (3.5) of the rules, including one very awesome-looking Star Wars/CoC crossover set in the Old Republic era on Nar Shaddaa. There are plenty of other games going on there too.
Cthulhu LARP ... Sounds interesting.
A fallout based game with CoC rules can be nice as well.
Yes! Mr. Handy, it's your obligation to tell us about your LARPing experiences! And Delta Green! I love Delta Green.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Túrin Turambar wrote:I discussed this with my mother today and the answer was naturally a bit ambiguous. Sigmund Freud, who developed the foundations of Psychoanalysis claimed that it was dangerous and not constructive to try and analyze yourself. In 1942, Karen Horney, a Neo-Freudian, wrote a book claiming that self-analyzis could be a good method. She was however rather alone to have this view. So, in the 20's and 30's, no Psychoanalysis educations would advise self-analysis. On the other hand, many of the forerunners in the field had (of course) no therapists of their own, but had to analyze their own emotions and inner worlds. The self-analysis in Psychologists' training that you referred to is conducted with the help of other Psychologists that have already finished their education. You are "treated" yourself to understand how the method works.

The conclusion would be that people who had learnt Psychoanalysis during this time would have learnt that self-analysis did not work and was potentially dangerous, but that very special individuals might have the insight into themselves to be able to do self-analyzing to some degree. Most people, however, would need another as guide on their inner journey.
Thank you for the excellent background research, Túrin!

Hmm. For the purposes of this game--and to keep things simple--I guess that we should limit the Psychoanalysis skill such that there would be no game benefits for an investigator to analyze themselves.

Job.
Túrin Turambar
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Yes, that seems like the best way to incorporate it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I just got back tonight, and I still have a lot of catching up to do. I'll tell you about the games I played at DEXCON when I have the time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Sorry for the delays, everyone. My laptop died due to overheating and I was forced to order a new one. It took a number of days to get it ordered and received, but it's here now.

I'm still setting it up the laptop, loading programs and data, but am nearing completion. I hope to be back posting this weekend.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Sheesh! Setting up a new laptop is really a lot of work...

I struggled for hours attempting to get my MSOutlook to send emails (essential to me!), and to get MSMessenger to allow IM's (very important!), and to get MSLive work with a couple of my Steam games (fun fun's sake!), all to no avail. I tried googling for the problems and spent hours setting configurations of the firewall and antivirus packages, and resetting passwords and such. I finally decided to try uninstalling all of the bloatware that came installed on the laptop. That finally worked.

Now I can finish migrating my data for my taxes and finances and all other applications, including my BtMoM pics and videos and files, and reloading my Adobe Elements packages and such. I still have a ways to go, but transferring files and loading apps should be easier than debugging configurations.

Anyway, even though I'm not completely done, I'm done enough to start posting again.

Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:Sheesh! Setting up a new laptop is really a lot of work...

I struggled for hours attempting to get my MSOutlook to send emails (essential to me!), and to get MSMessenger to allow IM's (very important!), and to get MSLive work with a couple of my Steam games (fun fun's sake!), all to no avail. I tried googling for the problems and spent hours setting configurations of the firewall and antivirus packages, and resetting passwords and such. I finally decided to try uninstalling all of the bloatware that came installed on the laptop. That finally worked.

Now I can finish migrating my data for my taxes and finances and all other applications, including my BtMoM pics and videos and files, and reloading my Adobe Elements packages and such. I still have a ways to go, but transferring files and loading apps should be easier than debugging configurations.

Anyway, even though I'm not completely done, I'm done enough to start posting again.

Job.
8-) goodie
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Welcome Aine!

For those of you who haven't seen the posts in the Game Recruitment forum, Aine has agreed to join our expedition, taking over Martin LeBlanc, our photojournalist.

Jump in wherever you'd like, Aine. Martin is currently meeting with George Barrow, James Starkweather and Professor Moore in the "Death of a Sea Captain" thread. And in the "Chapter 5 Panama-->Australia" thread, I believe that Martin has recovered from his gas inhalations and is now back on deck with Professor Moore and the teams who are hauling food from the refrigerated hold.

Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Welcome Aine! :)
~Bony End of Story~
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Anatomist wrote:Welcome Aine! :)
I second it.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Aine flourishes a bow to one and all. "Thankyou, looking forward to some desperate madness!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome aboard, Aine!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

FYI, I'll be travelling on business this week to Dallas, TX, and will have little to no access to the internet during that time, so I'll be quiet for the week. I leave tomorrow, Sunday, and return late Friday night. Hopefully, I'll be able to begin writing again next Saturday.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

On a different topic, I've realized (too late) that I should've split off a couple of separate threads from our "Chapter 5: Panama --> Australia" storyline, perhaps one side thread to track the events below deck in the refrigerator compartment, and maybe another side thread to track events in the Medical Facility. Because I tried to track all of these in one single thread, and because some posts and responses were occasionally delayed, our flow of events and the story timeline has become a bit mixed up in terms of what happened when. So in the future, I'll be quicker to create side threads if I see that a story element may be of substantial length on its own.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

REMINDER: I'm about to pack my belongings and depart for the airport. I'll be offline for the week due to work.

Job.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

I’m out for a vacation. I will resume full posting in a week from now.

Roy
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

royya wrote:I’m out for a vacation. I will resume full posting in a week from now.

Roy
have a nice tripp Roya!
~Bony End of Story~

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”