OOC: CHAPTER 5 - At Sea

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: CHAPTER 5: OOC - At Sea

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:Where is the list of classes being given as of 25 sept 1933?
Here's the class list from Sept 22-28.

Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:Where is the list of classes being given as of 25 sept 1933?
Here's the class list from Sept 22-28.

Job.
Player action thread updated
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:Player action thread updated
Very good, Anatomist! I'll be updating that thread's results in the near future.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Does Davy Jones look familiar to anyone? This is a question for trivia buffs. :) I do love this picture. The look on his face is priceless!

Job.
jrod
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by jrod »

haha that guy looks ridiculous. I also liked the post about the "latrine songs."
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

jrod wrote:haha that guy looks ridiculous. I also liked the post about the "latrine songs."
Latrine singing is an ocean-going tradition for unproven explorers. ;)

Job.
Gomez
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by Gomez »

Job wrote:Image
Does Davy Jones look familiar to anyone? This is a question for trivia buffs. :) I do love this picture. The look on his face is priceless!

Job.
Mr. Allen (Robert Pugh) from Master and Commander: Far Side of the World
:D
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Yes, exactly Gomez! You have a good memory (or strong Google-fu)!

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Something about this queen doesn't look quite right... ;) Well, not to mention the royal baby.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I just saw your location. I hadn't realized that you're in Philly before! So am I. I'm in Center City. What part of the city are you in?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Hello Mr. Handy,

I'm actually about an hour west of Philly in the suburbs, west of King of Prussia towards the Pottstown area. I travel into Philly about once a month for sporting events, plays, concerts, the Art Museum, sometimes taking a class, and whatever, so I'd find it great fun to get together at some time. Let me know if you're interested. I might come down for a Phillies game in May or June.

One of my favorite stores is the Compleat Strategist near King of Prussia. They usually have a Cthulhu item that I'm looking to purchase and also a lot of boardgame expansions. I love that place!

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:"Well, the sooner I get it cut," says Katie, "the sooner it'll grow back." She waits her turn to be shorn.
That's the spirit! :D

Job.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Getting together some time would be awesome! I've heard of the Compleat Strategist, but I don't think I've been there. There haven't been any hobby or gaming stores in Philly that I could find for a long time, and I don't have a local group for tabletop roleplaying. I don't have a car, so I'd have to take SEPTA to get anywhere that isn't within walking distance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:Getting together some time would be awesome! I've heard of the Compleat Strategist, but I don't think I've been there. There haven't been any hobby or gaming stores in Philly that I could find for a long time, and I don't have a local group for tabletop roleplaying. I don't have a car, so I'd have to take SEPTA to get anywhere that isn't within walking distance.
OK Mr. Handy, I don't expect to be coming into Philly until perhaps mid-April at the earliest, but I'll plan something out and send you a few options. Perhaps you could take SEPTA to the King of Prussia area and I'll meet you at the nearest train station? Then we can hit the Compleat Strategist and I'll drive you back down into Philly. If you have a favorite restaurant in Philly (nothing fancy or expensive), even a diner or cheesesteak joint, then we can go there upon our return to the city. This'll be a fun diversion!

Feel free to suggest anything that you'd like to add to such an agenda. :)

Job.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Seon »

Hey, sorry for being inactive for a while but...whatisthisIdon'teven...
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seon wrote:Hey, sorry for being inactive for a while but...whatisthisIdon'teven...
*laughs* That depends on what you're looking at, Seon. But yeah, we do have some strange stuff going on. 8-)

Job.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Job wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:Getting together some time would be awesome! I've heard of the Compleat Strategist, but I don't think I've been there. There haven't been any hobby or gaming stores in Philly that I could find for a long time, and I don't have a local group for tabletop roleplaying. I don't have a car, so I'd have to take SEPTA to get anywhere that isn't within walking distance.
OK Mr. Handy, I don't expect to be coming into Philly until perhaps mid-April at the earliest, but I'll plan something out and send you a few options. Perhaps you could take SEPTA to the King of Prussia area and I'll meet you at the nearest train station? Then we can hit the Compleat Strategist and I'll drive you back down into Philly. If you have a favorite restaurant in Philly (nothing fancy or expensive), even a diner or cheesesteak joint, then we can go there upon our return to the city. This'll be a fun diversion!

Feel free to suggest anything that you'd like to add to such an agenda. :)

Job.
Sounds good to me. It would have to be during a weekend, since I work during the week. Sometimes I have plans on the weekend, but I'm far more likely to have time free on Sunday than Saturday. I don't know what The Compleat Strategist's hours are, though.

Something else we can add is playing games. I have a huge collection of board games. While most of them can be played solo, they can also usually be played multiplayer and I seldom get the chance. Tabletop roleplaying is also a possibility, though options are limited with just one other player. I don't have much table space (still need a bigger table), but the community room in my building has big enough tables or there's always the floor. I could run a scenario from Monophobia if you haven't read it, as those scenarios were designed for a single player. I'd just need to print it out and find some time to prep and reread it. In addition, I have a PS3 with two controllers and quite a few games.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

This gives you an idea of the SIZE of the S.S. Gabrielle. THREE of these planes are contained within her tweendecks and lower holds PLUS one other plane and over four hundred 55-gallon drums of fuel, and all other equipment and supplies. Phew!

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:Sounds good to me. It would have to be during a weekend, since I work during the week. Sometimes I have plans on the weekend, but I'm far more likely to have time free on Sunday than Saturday. I don't know what The Compleat Strategist's hours are, though.

Something else we can add is playing games. I have a huge collection of board games. While most of them can be played solo, they can also usually be played multiplayer and I seldom get the chance. Tabletop roleplaying is also a possibility, though options are limited with just one other player. I don't have much table space (still need a bigger table), but the community room in my building has big enough tables or there's always the floor. I could run a scenario from Monophobia if you haven't read it, as those scenarios were designed for a single player. I'd just need to print it out and find some time to prep and reread it. In addition, I have a PS3 with two controllers and quite a few games.
That will work! Coming on a Sunday is fine. I'm likely to bring along my daughter (she plays Camille in BtMoM) since she loves visiting the Compleat Strategist, so we'll have three players for a boardgame or RPG. I've heard of monophobia, single session CoC scenarios I think, but I don't have it. I'd love to play through one if you're willing to read and prep one! Remember, there's no pressure on you since we won't be visiting for at least a month (or more if you need extra time).

Job.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great! Monophobia is a collection of three (excellent) scenarios designed for one player and one Keeper. I've read them (I've even been planning to adapt one or more as a solo adventure that can be played without a Keeper), but I'd need to reread a scenario and print it out from the PDF if I were going to run it. With two players, I'd go for a different one. The Haunting would be ideal, as I'm familiar enough with it, but I don't know if you've already played it. I have four pregens ready to go in case you want to skip character creation in the interest of saving time. I haven't read the other published scenarios I own yet in case I ever get to play them, as I don't want to spoil myself.

I also have a few scenarios of my own creation. I could run you through my first Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu scenario, The Terror Out of Time, if you haven't read the playthrough in the Hall of Fame. I also created a Stargate scenario called Heart of Stone, as well as a Sanctuary scenario that's a prequel set in 1889 London called Shadows and Fog. I made pregens for both of them. Those scenarios are designed for four or five players, but I can NPC extra characters that aren't picked. They use the CoC rules, but they're not actually Mythos-based (unlike The Terror Out of Time, which is).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”