OOC - GENERAL Campaign Discussion

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: OOC - GENERAL Campaign Discussion

Post by Job »

Hi Seon,

Hmm. Here's my best shot at answering your questions.

QUESTION 1: Do you mean that you want Ernest to have a special bonus against going insane? If I say yes to the first one, will Ernest be gruesomely eaten by a grue, thus giving him immunity to the effects of insanity?
ANSWER 1: I like your option! :)

I do like to add little bonuses In my game, and I plan to award what I call "character points"--which are not normal for CoC--that will give players a bit of extra hope that their characters will make it to the end (whatever that proves to be). At certain key points in the game, I will award these character points and will alert everyone about it in this OOC thread (and will track them on your character sheets). For example, you will get a point for arriving in Antarctica. You may use these points for:
  • Re-rolling a die roll
  • Adding 1d10 to a skill die roll after you've made it
  • Heal your character of 1d6 hit points (if standing still and not damaged for a round)
  • Heal your character of 1d6 San points (if standing still and not damaged for a round)
  • Other uses as suggested by player and approved by the Keeper
  • NOTE: Only one point can be used per round

QUESTION 2: And I my sanity gets low, can I psychoanalyze myself to get some of it back?
ANSWER 2: The rule book doesn't say that a player cannot use the Psychoanalyze skill on themselves, but the ability to do so may be affected by whatever insanity afflicts them.

Job.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Seon »

What if I start talking to myself? Can I fix it by psychoanalyzing myself?
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seon,

I did not see anything in the rules that prevent a character with the psychology skill from psychoanalyzing themselves, so I will allow it. But as I mentioned above, if your character fails a roll and gains a type of insanity that could make it more difficult--or impossible--to perform the self-analysis, then we'll need to take that into account. If any experienced CoC keepers are reading this and believe that I have misinterpreted this rule, then I welcome your comments.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

I have started a new job this week and have been tied up with training and other orientation activities, so I've been a little quiet this week. If I am unable to do much during the work week, I will certainly make sure that I catch up on the weekends. Hopefully, I'll get back to normal hours sometime soon.

Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Anatomist »

Ive been quite busy as well the last weeks looking for work and working my ass of at this company where i have been working the last year.

Have you been thinking of replacing BenTheRat as Martin? I would love to see the character being a player tbh. :)
~Bony End of Story~
Túrin Turambar
Layman
Layman

Post by Túrin Turambar »

About self-analyzing:

As far as I know (both my parents are psychologists) that would be impossible, especially in Psychoanalysis (the branch of Psychology that dominated completely during this time).
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

I wasn't actually being serious when I asked tha question.

I can see it now.

"Why hello there Doctor,"

"Why hello there too, Doctor."

"Here, let me grab some tea for you."

"No need, I'll do it myself."

"..."

"..."

"So, are you going to grab that tea, or am I going to do it?"
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

My new job's workload is pretty heavy, however I'm starting to develop new routines and I hope to carve out some time each day to exercise and relax. If all goes well, I should be able to at least post a couple of entries during the weekdays and catch up on all responses on weekends. As you see, I was able to make a couple of posts this evening.
Túrin Turambar wrote:About self-analyzing:

As far as I know (both my parents are psychologists) that would be impossible, especially in Psychoanalysis (the branch of Psychology that dominated completely during this time).
As for the Psychoanalysis skill discussions above, I can understand why it would seem strange for an investigator to be able to psychoanalyze himself, but the 6th edition rules do not strictly forbid it. Further, I remember reading somewhere that a key part of a psychologist's training is that they must spend a great deal of time performing self-analysis in order to understand and improve their own thinking and behaviors. Would this not suggest that an investigator with the Psychoanalysis skill could spend time assessing his own insanity and perhaps "staunch temporary and indefinite insanity for a day or so" as the rules state?

I'm not a psychologist, though. Túrin, I understand that CoC is a game, but could you ask your parents whether this (i.e.an investigator psychoanalyzing themselves to fend off an insanity) might be within the realm of possibility. Your parents will probably decide that I need psychoanalysis for asking this... If you've already asked them, and if they respond "No", then I'll accept that and will rule that an investigator cannot Psychoanalyze themself.

This is a wonderful discussion!

Thanks!
Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Hope you find a routine that permits you some creative thinking :)
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:Have you been thinking of replacing BenTheRat as Martin? I would love to see the character being a player tbh. :)
Yes, aside from you and Mr. Handy, our player base seems to have become rather sluggish.

Tomorrow I'll post a note in the "Looking for players" thread, asking if anyone would like to assume control of our ill-fated photojournalist. Well, maybe I shouldn't yet call him "ill-fated". ;)

As for the rest of our expedition members:
  • I see that Jrod has posted recently, so I'm assuming that his posting rate will soon improve.
  • I'll send a PM to Taokan to see what she wants to do.
  • Turin has recently posted in our OOC thread
  • Seon also posted recently in our OOC thread
Maybe I'll send PM's asking if folks are simply distracted by the warm, sunny weather or if it'd be OK for me to go on a recruiting campaign. Any thoughts?

Job.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:Have you been thinking of replacing BenTheRat as Martin? I would love to see the character being a player tbh. :)
Yes, aside from you and Mr. Handy, our player base seems to have become rather sluggish.
Your forgetting Royya on that list, i dont think his posting is sluggish, but the priest havent seen to much attention from the other pc and npc's.
~Bony End of Story~
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

I'm here.
For now ... the people on the ship do not need a priest/scientist ... just wait for them to encounter the hideous creatures of the ice and they'll run to get some divine comfort from Father Rucker.

Job, as for the Psychoanalysis - As a CoC GM back home, I had a similar case and I did not allow the psychology professor to analyze himself.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Thank you, Royya, for confirming your continuing status! As I was pushing all of that new employee training into my brain, apparently my BtMoM details began falling out...
And Ewoklord (Douglas Orgelfinger's puppeteer) posted not too long ago.

I suspect that we're nearing the end of our "ammonia event" and the ship will soon re-start its engines. This should perhaps give all of our players more reason to participate. I'll PM all of our quiet players once the Gabrielle gets back underway.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

I sent a PM to Captain Impossible, a player who had expressed interest in our game some months ago and who is on our alternates list. We'll see how he responds. If he does not wish to play Martin LeBlanc, then he may join us by taking over one of the Gabrielle's crew.

Job.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Yeah, trying to catch up with all that's happened and where Ernest is now.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'll be away at a convention, leaving mid-afternoon on July 4 and returning the night of July 8 (though I might not be able to post until the night of July 9).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:I'll be away at a convention, leaving mid-afternoon on July 4 and returning the night of July 8 (though I might not be able to post until the night of July 9).
A convention? What convention? Something RPG related? More detail please. ;)

I have not yet heard back from Captain Impossible yet, but it is a holiday week in the U.S. I'll give him another week or so before posting a note on the recruiting section.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seon wrote:Yeah, trying to catch up with all that's happened and where Ernest is now.
Excellent news, Seon! Just jump back in. Ernest was helping out on the main deck (having fetched equipment for Professor Moore) in the Chapter 5 Panama -> Australia thread, if I recall correctly.

Job.
Ewoklord
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by Ewoklord »

Just posting to say that I'm still here.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Job wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:I'll be away at a convention, leaving mid-afternoon on July 4 and returning the night of July 8 (though I might not be able to post until the night of July 9).
A convention? What convention? Something RPG related? More detail please. ;)

I have not yet heard back from Captain Impossible yet, but it is a holiday week in the U.S. I'll give him another week or so before posting a note on the recruiting section.

Job.
Yes, I'm going to DEXCON 15, in Morristown, New Jersey. It's going to be a lot of fun. There's plenty of CoC goodness going on there, and I'll get to try out Delta Green, Trail of Cthulhu, and a couple Cthulhu Live LARPs using the new edition (3.5) of the rules, including one very awesome-looking Star Wars/CoC crossover set in the Old Republic era on Nar Shaddaa. There are plenty of other games going on there too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”