Character Creation

Character creation and general pre-game banter.

Moderators: Laraqua, Raiko

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

One more thing:

Grafster: Imme PM'd me a question regarding Johnny Wong:
Imme wrote: is it safe to assume that Johnny Wong was chaperoning Elizabeth her entire last few years traveling the world? (I was also wondering if she's ever seen him in a fight and knows his kung fu skills, or just thinks of him as an old family retainer.)

This was my reply:
Raiko wrote: I'm kind of assuming that Johnny has chaperoned Elizabeth for a while. Unless Grafster thinks otherwise assume that he has done, and that Elizabeth has seen his Martial Arts in action.

Please could you have a think about it and then post what you think here.
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by thewhatchamacallit »

Who's to say he hasn't offered to tutor her at one point. Also she has likely seen him practice at one point or another over the years.
If you can be strong at the worst of times; you'll be invincible in the best.
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by imme »

First character posted. I win! :D Unless death/insanity goes in order of character posted. :shock:
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by coffee demon »

Just submitted mine! I can't wait to start!
warhammer
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by warhammer »

Raiko wrote: Warhammer’s lawyer Thomas Allan needs to have a connection with the other characters, he tends to look after the interests of the “little guys” so he isn’t likely to work for Elizabeth’s family. He’s also from a humble background so he’s not a school friend.

He does speak good French so maybe he met Elizabeth and/or Andrei there. He’s also got good enough Credit Rating to have initially met her at a party or other function (he could even make it a ‘love pentagon’ ;)). Maybe he’s a friend of Decrepit’s doctor, and so also knows Elizabeth through her. His knowledge of Hieroglyphics means he could have met Elizabeth in Egypt, or through her interest in classics.

I’d prefer all the characters to have a connection to either Elizabeth or Andrei (I’m assuming that the Rukov twins are friends of Andrei rather than Elizabeth). We need to get you all together over 2-3 days as a result of one Telegram addressed to Elizabeth.

It would be cool with me if Thomas had met Elizabeth at a party and befriended her there. The exact nature of their relationship would still be uncertain as we begin playing. If that's ok, he could have a (very mild) crush on her, which for the time being he wouldn't admit to; I'm thinking this could offer good roleplay opportunities. :)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Wow, she's going to be a popular lady. :) As long as they are good enough friends for her to think of involving him in the team, the party link is fine.

For anyone who just wants to post a hyperlink to their photo, no problem I'll post them on my imageshack account later (can't access it from work).

Laraquar: I edited your date of birth (the game starts on 12th Jan 1925). If you'd rather keep the same DoB then he's a year older.
BTW: I'd thought that Maksim & Timour were twins, but obviously not (ages 25 & 30). Probably my mistake though :oops:

Here's how we stand at the moment:

Laraqua: Maksim Mikhailovich Rukov, Russian aviator, twin brother of Timour (submitted, accepted)
Thewhatchamacallit: Timour Arseni Rukov, former Russian aviator, twin brother of Maksim (submitted, accepted)
Imme: Elizabeth Downing, New York dilettante (submitted, accepted)
coffee demon: Andrei, Former Russian soldier, Courting Elizabeth (submitted)
Decrepit: Caroline Ward Doctor, close friend of Elizabeth(Submitted, accepted)
Grafster: Johnny Wong Former PI, works for Elizabeth's Family, Chaperone (submitted)
Warhammer: Thomas Allan, Lawyer (submitted, accepted)

I've not heard from Grafster over the weekend, but he's probably busier at weekends (like me :)).

It's looking good for a Wednesday start (or earlier).
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

You're right about us being twins. I just coulda sworn he'd written up 25 as the age over in one of the older forums, or perhaps in a message to me, but upping the age to 30 makes plenty of sense to me, so I'll go with whatever he ends up submitting.

Thanks for looking through it.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

(Whoops this post was about Thomas's relationship, didn't realise it was already sorted... delete this post.)
Last edited by coffee demon on Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Elizabeth's Rifle..?

Post by coffee demon »

Raiko wrote: One more thing, imme asked for help selecting a hunting rifle for Elizabeth, I’m going to have a look, but if anybody is more knowledgeable about 1920s weapons please suggest something. :)

I did a little web-research... looks like the most popular American rifle at the time was this, Springfield Rifle:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/1903/specifications.asp

It would be considered a "30-06 bolt action rifle" with 5 rounds in a clip.

Theres a British version with 10 rounds in a clip as well.
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Laraqua wrote: You're right about us being twins. I just coulda sworn he'd written up 25 as the age over in one of the older forums, or perhaps in a message to me, but upping the age to 30 makes plenty of sense to me, so I'll go with whatever he ends up submitting.

Thanks for looking through it.

Cool, 30 seemed more logical, I think Laraqua, you had mentioned it previously and I totally agree.

Also I believe the Springfield was a WWI military rifle, more than a hunting one.

Seems to me the standard 30-06 deer hunting rifle or a Winchester 30-30 would more aptly fit the bill. Maybe a quick google of lion-rifles would produce a better subsititute such as the Mauser Model 71/84 or the Mauser Karabiner 98k- both seen here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser#19t ... ry_to_1920

But its a mute point really if all she wants is a hunting rifle a generic 30-06 bolt action, damage- 2d6+4, 1/2 per round, 5 shot per load should do the trick.
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Curious if any other character has a phobia. I personally like to mention one or two fears per character as they are an excellent way to make every PC that much more human and add suspense and thrills at appropriate or better yet inappropriate moments :D .

Timour is claustrophobic, Maksim much like Indiana Jones is ophidiophobic. Just wondering if anyone else is determining a fear for their PCs?
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

I considered claustrophobia but feared it would get in the way of being a pilot, however, it wouldn't be surprising for someone to have a phobia of small spaces - except in one particular instance. For example, I can imagine through classical conditioning, a claustrophobic finding respite in a closet because that closet was her safe place long before claustrophobia - although, in that instance, they're probably not the biggest claustrophobes you can get.

And yeah, Maksim is like Indiana Jones! :P No, it wasn't intentional. I just couldn't think of any other one that fit. Arachnophobia's too cliche. Fear of the dark? Nah. Xenophobia so doesn't fit, nor does fear of women.

C'mon, at least have anxiety attacks or shell shock, people! Let's all be slightly nuts.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Bi-planes had open cockpits so I didn't figure they'd feel to restrictive with Timour's arms and head out in the open wind.

Now a fear of heights and high speeds might have been determental. As much a s a sailor with a fear of water or a claustrophobic tank crewman :lol:
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Nah, Elizabeth's much too sweet and had much too delicate an upbringing for anything to have caused a phobia. (There'll be plenty of time for that later.) Besides, she's already got enough to deal with by being at the center of a love pentagon. Wait! She's at the center of a pentagon?! We haven't even started IC yet. :shock:
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Seems like she's got her own cult starting. maybe we should change the name of the adventure to Iä Elizabeth :wink:
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

I dunno... I think Doctor Caroline Ward might have a very interested Maksim enjoying her company.

We're such a group of attractive people. Poor Andrei! Poor Thomas Allan! Surrounded by such supermodels.

Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Forget Nyarlathotep; that can't end well, anyway. Let's just hang out and go to parties. :D
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Sweet!

Question, How does Credit Rating work (get the impression I don't own the manual :D ) :?:

Is there a roll required if you want to purchase something?

Having a low CR how will it affect my PC?

When gambling for cash would my luck act as my skill?
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

thewhatchamacallit wrote: Sweet!

Question, How does Credit Rating work (get the impression I don't own the manual :D ) :?:

Is there a roll required if you want to purchase something?

Having a low CR how will it affect my PC?

When gambling for cash would my luck act as my skill?

Credit Rating is actually more like "social class." As your character has been depraved of his Russian social standing, and is living (relatively poorly) in another country a low Credit Rating isn't surprising.

It will often be the first interpersonal roll that I make, but a descent persuade or fast talk can often get around a low credit rating.

So long as Elizabeth survives money isn't going to be an issue in the game.

For gambling that would depend on the game, something almost entirely based on luck (roulette?) would just use the luck stat, something like poker could be roleplayed I guess using luck, fast talk and psychology.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

I think Andrei is going to start with the normal human fears at "normal levels:"

Afraid of heights
Afraid of tiny spaces
Afraid of being covered in bugs

Etc... But not to the point where he becomes a gibbering mess when it happens.

If anything, his biggest fear is looking stupid in front of a bunch of other people. But he doesn't gibber/pee himself when this happens either...

..yet. :D

Return to “Pre-Game Chatter”