Recruitment: Masks of Nyarlathotep, BRP, 1920s

Character creation and general pre-game banter.

Moderators: Laraqua, Raiko

imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by imme »

Coffee, sounds good. They met in France, had a great time, and she convinced him to come back to America with her (I'm not sure yet if she's the type that would want to bring him to show her parents, but it seems like you're saying that Andrei would feel required to introduce himself to them). During the boat ride home they got to know each other more, and now that they're in the US the initial thrill is starting to wear off (to be replaced by a deeper relationship? ... only time shall tell :wink: ).

Here are a couple pictures of what she looks like:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/normavalen ... 086018769/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/normavalen ... 086018769/

Oh, I should also probably give her a name: Elizabeth Downing
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Grafster »

Given that he’s both lame (i.e. has a bad leg) and small of stature the PI isn’t really around for muscle.

There was a bit of an issue aborted game with the whole “social caste” issue. I.e. most of the rest of the group swung pretty hard toward the “educated and/or upper crust” side of things.

At the same time I remember being told (admittedly by a different keeper who may have had a different take on the game) that some degree of practical detective work would be useful.

But the character was a bit dark anyway.

How about this: (Just riffing here)

Maybe an affable American Jewish boy whose family is originally from Russia (several generations back) whose family made it good doing something (commodities related trading?) in the US. During the 10s (when he was in his mid-teens) he traveled with his uncle back to St. Petersburg to try to work out some mining concessions.
During the time he became friends with one, or more, agreeable Russians (they may have either been the rightful holders of assets of interest, older family acquaintances or just a right-time-right-place thing).
Returning home the boy grew more and more interested in academia and less personally religious. He attended a small school in the mid-west majoring in history and ancient languages.
Upon graduation he returned in time to hear that his childhood (family?) acquaintances have been ejected from their homeland and maybe supplies some sort of assistance (financial, or social or something).
Now he does some small family business but primarily enjoys the lifestyles afforded wealthy sons in the 20s and follows his growing interest/fascination with the ancient and the obscure.

Not sure if that works better than the PI or not….
But we’d have the social, physical (ex-solder), and scholarly portions of the ‘team’ rounded out.
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

Given that he’s both lame (i.e. has a bad leg) and small of stature the PI isn’t really around for muscle.

There was a bit of an issue aborted game with the whole “social caste” issue. I.e. most of the rest of the group swung pretty hard toward the “educated and/or upper crust” side of things.

At the same time I remember being told (admittedly by a different keeper who may have had a different take on the game) that some degree of practical detective work would be useful.

But the character was a bit dark anyway.

How about this: (Just riffing here)

Maybe an affable American Jewish boy whose family is originally from Russia (several generations back) whose family made it good doing something (commodities related trading?) in the US. During the 10s (when he was in his mid-teens) he traveled with his uncle back to St. Petersburg to try to work out some mining concessions.
During the time he became friends with one, or more, agreeable Russians (they may have either been the rightful holders of assets of interest, older family acquaintances or just a right-time-right-place thing).
Returning home the boy grew more and more interested in academia and less personally religious. He attended a small school in the mid-west majoring in history and ancient languages.
Upon graduation he returned in time to hear that his childhood (family?) acquaintances have been ejected from their homeland and maybe supplies some sort of assistance (financial, or social or something).
Now he does some small family business but primarily enjoys the lifestyles afforded wealthy sons in the 20s and follows his growing interest/fascination with the ancient and the obscure.

Not sure if that works better than the PI or not….
But we’d have the social, physical (ex-solder), and scholarly portions of the ‘team’ rounded out.
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by thewhatchamacallit »

imme wrote: Coffee, sounds good.

Oh I think we found our dillettante's catch phrase :lol:

I love the pics too, that's one delicate looking flower there and I'm sure the whole group will be motivated to keep her safe.

Grafster and Decrepit we still need a doctor or driver or outdoors man like a guide to keep us happy and safe in a rural setting. A character that I'm still thinking should have more in common with the dilettante.

imme has suggested she was an active outdoorsy type art collector, not overly afraid of getting her hands or her skirt dirty. It may make sense to say your PC filled in somehow with that role by either tending to here health (at her families request perhaps), driving her to and from different places and possibly making travel arrangements or being the person she hired to teach her all of the camping, hiking and sportsman skills she would need to become proficient at 'roughing it.'

Just my $0.02 :)
Last edited by thewhatchamacallit on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you can be strong at the worst of times; you'll be invincible in the best.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Grafster & Decrepit: I’ve sent you each a PM to establish what you do or don’t know about the adventure, but I’m happy for both of you to play.

Assuming that they are both in then we’ve got six players, so the recruitment is now closed. Anyone else who applies will go onto the “Reserve List.”
Grafster wrote: At the same time I remember being told (admittedly by a different keeper who may have had a different take on the game) that some degree of practical detective work would be useful.

That’s my take on it as well, in fact I’d say it’s essential. Personally I like your PI character.

I’d rather your character had a connection to imme’s dilettante than the three Russians, as I’ve pretty much decided to make her the character who Jackson Elias contacts. So if you go with the academic character there isn’t any need for a St-Petersburg connection.

If you lost the ‘lame’ aspect of the Chinese PI character he could be a bodyguard or chaperone type for Elizabeth, the kung-fu would make up for his small stature (esp. in the 20’s when such skills would be very exotic). She would probably have had a minder of some sort before she met Andrei in France so the presence of the Russians wouldn’t effect his suitability to accompany Elizabeth.

Alternatively sticking with him as a lame character, I don’t see any reason that he couldn’t have worked for Elizabeth or her family as a PI in the past, though I’d rather he was permanently employed by her/them in some way - I'm sure that her rich family could have a reason to employ somebody for those 'odd jobs' that might need doing.

I cut these bits from the Wikipedia article on New York’s Chinatown.
wikipedia wrote: Chinatown started on Mott Street, Park, Pell and Doyer streets, east of the notorious Five Points district. By 1870, there was a Chinese population of 200. By the time the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 was passed, the population was up to 2,000 residents. By 1900, there were 7,000 Chinese residents, but fewer than 200 Chinese women.

wikipedia wrote: Until the 1960s, the bulk of the population was Toisan and Cantonese speaking, coming from a small area of Guangdong province and Hong Kong with a small minority of Hakka also represented. Mandarin was rarely spoken by natives even well into the 1980s.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Decrepit & Grafster: I’d quite like the group to include a second female character, if either of you’d like to oblige. A friend of Elizabeth’s perhaps?

With this whole ‘love square’ thing going on there still wouldn’t be enough ladies to go around. :lol:
Last edited by Raiko on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Well perhaps my brother would like to become my sister. Mom always used to worry about him anyway :lol:
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

If it was World War II and we were Communists, sure I could be a female pilot. Not at this point in time, though...

Sif Mom worried about me. I'm just awesome.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Here is the cast so far:

Laraqua: Maksim Rukov, former Russian aviator, twin brother of Timour
thewhatchamacallit: Timour Arseni Rukov, former Russian aviator, twin brother of Maksim
imme: Elizabeth Downing, New York dilettante
coffee demon: Andrei, Former Russian soldier
decrepit: ?
Grafster: Chinese American PI or Jewish Academic
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Aha! See, I get to be the first name above my brother. Even God (the Keeper) loves me more.

Okay, enough posturing. Promise I won't be this egotistical in the game. I'm just having fun waiting for the board to come alive.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

That's a good looking group so far
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

My $0.02: I think an easy (and very appropriate) way to connect one of the new characters would be as someone who had a reason to be travelling in France with Elizabeth, either as a chaparone or a good friend. I figure she couldn't have been travelling alone anyway, and while she could have been accompanied by an NPC, this connection would give someone the chance to already know Andrei somewhat, too.
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

OK. I like Johnny Wong, we'll stick with.
I think that he'll be ethnicly Cantonese if that works.

Statements regarding the leg understood. He's got an old injury from when, at a much younger age, he helped her father fend off a gang of theives in the back allies of New York. It hurts during temperature changes but he can move about with it.

The older Downing felt an obligation toward the boy and sponsored his education (including NYU where he studied law; since their wiki claims that they took people of all ages without concern of race starting in the 1830s).

Appearance:
He dresses well with a hat and suit; though often a bit rumpled.
He keeps a cane and affects a limp at all times (partially because it makes people underestimate him and partially because he doesn't like carrying other people's bags or otherwise being bossed around).

Sarcastic and mindful the boy had trouble finding employment after he completed his studies and found work with the Downings. He is dilligent and polite when the Downings are around, or he is on their business.

Johnny was accompanying Miss Downing on her trip to France. He's probably polite toward Andrei but doesn't call him Mr. whateverhislastnameis.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Cool 8)

I've communicated with decrepit via PM, and I'm happy that his limited knowledge of the adventure won't spoil it for him.

So we have our six players. :D

I'll PM Lee later to get the forum up, it'll be a few days at least before the game starts though, so no rush for characters yet.
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

I love character building almost as much as playing the game :D
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Grafster wrote: Johnny was accompanying Miss Downing on her trip to France. He's probably polite toward Andrei but doesn't call him Mr. whateverhislastnameis.

Andrei probably treats you politely as well - but you always get the sense that you're still a servant in his eyes.

Maybe Andrei sometimes confides in you as well. You've shared a few late-night drinks with him maybe? But he never treats you with the same familiarity in front of other people. You (and Elizabeth) probably get the sense that he would be a lot more comfortable if he could lose the "nobleman" schtick and be himself. He doesn't seem to be cut out for the noble stuff - it always seems like a show he's putting on.

He's rougher and wilder deep down, which is why he likes Elizabeth's wild side. Maybe one day he'll learn to let go.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

I'll have to catch up on this exploding thread a bit later, but I'm happy enough to play a female character. Bit of a break from my male journalist in BMM.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I've asked Lee to start a new forum for us now.

You can start posting character gen stuff there, rather than here once the forum is up.
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

We have forum.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Well perhaps my brother would like to become my sister. Mom always used to worry about him anyway.

OI! I just realised what you were saying here.

Fine, I'll prove my character's heterosexuality by vying for y'know-who's attention. :P I'm sure he'll just love to hear it.

Return to “Pre-Game Chatter”