Recruitment: Masks of Nyarlathotep, BRP, 1920s

Character creation and general pre-game banter.

Moderators: Laraqua, Raiko

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Recruitment: Masks of Nyarlathotep, BRP, 1920s

Post by Raiko »

The Masks of Nyarlathotep

New York, January 1925: An investigator receives a mysterious telegram from their old friend Jackson Elias concerning an archaeological expedition lost in Africa years before.

So begins an epic campaign of global proportions, can the investigators unravel the mysteries of the Carlyle Expedition massacre in time to foil the machinations of the Crawling Chaos?

As I still have a little spare time left, despite my Mountains of Madness campaign, and a private WFRP forum game, I’ve been unable to resist having a go at running this most famous and epic of all Chaosium campaigns.

I’m not sure whether I’ll be able to find anyone on these boards who hasn’t already played or read this adventure, or at least listened to the excellent Yog-Radio files, but I’ll give it a try. So if you fancy giving this huge adventure a go; and you genuinely don’t already know the story then please submit a character.

One character will be an old friend of the NPC Jackson Elias, we’ll decide who it is between us when the character selection is complete.

I reserve the right to end the recruitment process early, so if you are interested make sure that I know before you start writing a character.

As with my BtMoM game, I intend to keep the game moving forward at a suitable pace. I’ll normally try to do this by giving a good “plot kick” every Sunday if necessary. I will post daily Monday – Friday, and I’ll try to post over the weekend as well, I expect the players to try to match this rate. Please only submit characters if you are happy with me running the campaign in this way.

The adventure is very big, and it’s non-linear nature makes it harder to judge how long it will take then my BtMoM game. I expect it will take at least 2-3 years to complete as a PbP game. Please don’t apply if you aren’t going to stick around.

Character Submission Guidelines:

The adventure begins in New York City on 12th January 1925.

Players Required = 6

Submission Deadline = 16th November 2006

Investigators can be built using either the normal rules, or those from the 1920s investigator’s companion.

In place of rolling attributes, please spend 110 points on your attributes as you see fit, modify normally for age.

All of the player characters are mutual friends or associates; I encourage you to work out these connections during the recruitment stage. I’ll look especially favourably on characters links such as husband & wife, parent & child or master/mistress & servant.

If there are too many character submissions then characters that I like, but reject will be placed on a “reserve list,” so the personal links will still be useful. All replacement characters will either come from the original “reserve list,” or be inhabitants of the current location.

The game is very action packed so some combat oriented characters would be a good idea. Good investigative & interpersonal skills are a must though, so some typical CoC librarian or professor types are essential.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

Hey there. I'd be willing to join up. Not sure what I'd play, I'm pretty open. Heck, I'd be happy to play someone's child if they were willing (that'd be fun) though I'm none too sure how many would drag a child into trouble.

Not sure what Masks is about. A globe-trotter, maybe? I listened to the first audio-broadcast but couldn't understand the accents well enough to know anything beyond the fact that one woman craved revenge.

If you're willing, I'll play! I post quite frequently (just check Hurricane Cthulhu) even though I'm Australian I tend towards late nights just so I'm on at about the same time as everyone else.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Oops! I probably should specify that I by parent & child, I was thinking more of young adults and middle aged parents then young parents and any actual children.

Those cultists get up to some pretty nasty things, so I wouldn’t like to make any ‘minors’ view such things. Caring Keeper that I am. :twisted:

Having said that, if anyone had a convincing reason for an actual child character to be involved I wouldn’t exclude the possibility.

Laraqua, you're welcome to submit a character, I don't think that that much knowledge of the game would spoil anything for you. :)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Cool. Can I just wait to see what the others are going to bring, though? I'm willing to alter my character to fit other people's wants and needs.

Oh, and a good way to get a child character involved is either a) the street kid who has seen too much and was noticed seeing it or b) the child of another character who has seen too much and was noticed seeing it, and as dangerous as being with that person is, there's nowhere safer to put the child. Of course, again, with the second the issue is: Why isn't the adult running away from the baddies instead of towards them? A certain personality and motivation would work but, not knowing the game world, I can't be sure.

Anywho, like I said, I'll be open to other ideas.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by welsh »

Raiko, you are certainly mad to be doing the two greatest classics of the Cthulhu universe! Madness! Surely you have gotten a glimpse beyond the veil.
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by thewhatchamacallit »

I could do 10 of these things I'm having so much fun. I've never played nor read the adventure but I've certainly heard the buzz. If I can get in on the ground floor on this one I'd die (or go insane whichever comes first) happy :D .

Laraqua, if you want to hook up and figure some PCs out as a team drop me a line, we could be siblings or something like that :)
If you can be strong at the worst of times; you'll be invincible in the best.
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Oooo! I have often heard of the fabled Masks but have no actual knowledge of the plot. I'm perfect for this, if I do say so myself. :D How could I not want to get in on the beginning of such an infamous campaign? (And of course I mean infamous in the very best sense.)

I am also rather flexible as to what kind of character I play. But, to help things along I'll throw out a few character types that are appealing to me to see if they might fit with what other people are thinking of running. In no particular order: a dilettante (the type who enjoys going out riding, 'roughing it', etc., not completely useless), a servant (with highly useful, but subtle skills, who knows how to get things done), a medical doctor (who practices medicine but also dabbles in research/experimentation). The servant could be easily connected to another player. I enjoy the idea of playing the dilettante as someone's wife. The medical doctor may best be played as an old friend (or uncle?) of another player.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

I'm interested!

Post by coffee demon »

I'd love to play!

Except for work vacations, I'm always around a computer, and can post to forums at any time. I've been roleplaying/DMing for 20+ years now, but this would be my first experience with CoC (just bought the rulebook and Investigator's Companion.) I'm in for the long haul.

Some things I'd like to be:

1) A quiet, unbalanced private investigator with a drug addiction. He's seen too much already. Likes his hometown and his privacy, but enough money convince him to try anything once. Has put his pistol to good use many times.

2) A quiet, balanced male scientist/psychologist with an interest in philosophy and "other perceptions of reality". Could be any age, and have relations/close friends on the trip. I imagine him being a little overweight and untidy.

3) A gregarious ex-soldier. Young, with all the characteristics that come with youth: overconfidence, courage, jealousy, high energy etc. If he's happy, you know it. If he's irritated, watch out. Could be hired as protection, or associated with a significant other (maybe Imme's "Dilettante?"), or an elder member of the trip. I can imagine him being a wealthy and a little spoiled.

Do any of these sound interesting to anyone? Can anyone think of a character that would associate with one of these?
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

welsh wrote: Raiko, you are certainly mad to be doing the two greatest classics of the Cthulhu universe! Madness! Surely you have gotten a glimpse beyond the veil.

I'm hoping spread my madness around a bit :lol:

thewhatchamacallit, imme & coffee demon: Great lots of people hoping to join. :D

I like all the character ideas so far, so I'll leave you to it.
PrBatblind
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Damn it!

Post by PrBatblind »

I'm in rage I just read it a few month ago! I would have loved playing it! Now I would lurk on your game. Gosh, this is the potentialy most deadly campaign I have ever seen. The Orient-Express is a sinecure compared to it. And as a player, I died three times playing it, so... :D
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

You forgot me.

You don't want me to play it? :(

thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

I think he was just welcoming the new people entring PCs since yesterday :wink:
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Laraqua wrote: You forgot me.

You don't want me to play it? :(

Like thewhatchamacallit said, I'd already welcomed you, of course I still want you to play. :)

PrBatblind I'm sorry to hear that you've read the game, I'd have loved to have you as a player.
PrBatblind wrote: And as a player, I died three times playing it, so... :D

Yes, this campaign does seem to usually end on a sad note. :twisted:
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Coffee demon, I'd be happy to pair my dilettante with your ex-soldier. That sounds like it could be a very fun(ny) combination. If you'd like to go with that, send me a pm and we can figure out background.
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Nice. Looks like we got a good team building. Laraqua and I are setting up twin, Russian, fly-boy brothers, both former air service officers in WWI. Now free agents since the revolution and our unceremonious exile from the motherland.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

I'm the brains, thewhatchamacallit's just the muscle.

I just realised that, without thinking, we've got typical birth times. You're character's the eldest and he has to defend me, the cheerful and conniving younger brother. Hehe.

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

But how are we going to pair the ex-soldier and dilletante with ex-Russian Air Force folk wandering around? Made friends at the right pub I suppose... Any ideas?

Perhaps it'd be best if Raiko got himself a forum opened up so we can use the OOC chat to sort this stuff out. Just a thought. Maybe it's just me, but I'm rearing to go and it'd be great to reveal all.

thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

I think coffee and the brothers might have met and formed a friendship during the war, perhaps not one where they all kept in touch but enough that they can recognize each other when they meet again.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Andrei... maybe?

Post by coffee demon »

The four of us (Dilettante, and the twins) could be russian... Russia was pretty screwed after The Great War, but there was definitely a lot of wealthy people still hanging around. I could totally picture my guy (lets call him "Andrei"), being an aristocrat. Maybe he doesn't have as much battle experience as he likes to pretend. Could have been an officer in the war, though. I just found the following on a website:

"The boyar was the second highest ranking social group in Russia. Boyars were warrior nobles. They were the ones who owned most the land and the serfs. The nobles were wealthy families that lived in great comfort. They spent most of their winters in Moscow or St. Petersburg. There they may have had up to 100 serfs working for them. The rooms were filled with guests almost every night. Very often there were dancing parties at which serfs played music late into the night. In the summer, the nobles traveled to their country estates, where they were attended by even more serfs. nobles maintained strict discipline by beating and flogging serfs who were constantly displeasing them. "

Andrei could be the son of a noble! His father manipulated his assignments in the Great War so he never had the dangerous posts. He's still dying to prove himself, and to impress his lady, (Imme's character), who might make fun of his cushy upbringing...?

By 1920, Russia was communist though, and czars/nobles were kinda on the run. In outlying areas, (far from Moscow & St Petersburg), I think they still had a pretty good life.

Any thoughts..? I'm just shooting this out there to see what you all think.

-Jay
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Yessir, Arseni (my Pc) and Maksim (L's Pc) were Boyars from St. P (Russia's former capital) so this would give ample opportunity for us to know each other.

As for the Dilettante though she (I'm assuming she) could be from anywhere, France pops into my mind but the sky's the limit.

As long as your soldier is from a WWI Russia-allied country he could be from anywhere too.

Return to “Pre-Game Chatter”