Recruitment: Masks of Nyarlathotep, BRP, 1920s

Character creation and general pre-game banter.

Moderators: Laraqua, Raiko

coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by coffee demon »

You're right, Imme's character could be from anywhere.

I like the idea of being a Boyar. So we can know each other quite well - all the balls in St. Petersburg before the fall of Tsarism, etc.... "ah, those were the days!"

Any idea what your personailities are like? I imagine Andrei being a bit of a hothead, probably fun to party with but a sore loser. We could be best friends, or have witnessed a brutal scene that bonds us.
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Post by thewhatchamacallit »

Here's the gist of Arseni;

Appearance & Personality: Dashing, charismatic, outgoing and brash. Loves to gamble and would kill to protect his family and friends. Flirtatious, fashions himself a ladies-man, Arseni is known for his love of cards, dancing and adventure. He hates horseback riding and fears close spaces.

Background: Born the oldest of a set of twins. Originally from a wealthy boyar family in St. Petersburg. Young Arseni (which means 'virile' in his native tongue) attended the University of Moscow, partaking in wrestling and English/Russian philosophy classes before joining the air service in 1916. Fought as a bi-plane gunner and navigator with his 'younger' brother Maksim, their team's pilot and main mechanic.

Once almost married, Arseni's life was thrown into turmoil during the Russian revolution of 1917 and was forced to flee the country along with his brother; empty handed and agonized about the twist of fate life has dealt them. He still worries about his family and former bride still trapped inside of Russia and seeks the money necessary to secure their safe transport to England or at the very least the Americas.

Family members: One twin, Maksim, his slightly younger brother, was in the air force and war with him, continues to travel with and look after him. Parents deceased in red October uprising. One cousin Tatiana whom he wishes to see away from Russia as well as his nanny Yula, who has gone from a highly paid child-care provider to a common scullery maid, a fact he detests.
Last edited by thewhatchamacallit on Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can be strong at the worst of times; you'll be invincible in the best.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

Maksim's personality seems very laid back and amiable, particularly if he's being manipulative or just finding out about someone, and makes a great shoulder to cry on, but at times he'll let the intense curiosity show in his eyes, particularly when he's angry at something. Anger makes him boil over, wanting to pick apart his target and know why it would do that. So yeah, very introspective, though outwardly full of bluff and bravado.

One of those people who's capable of talking someone into doing all sorts of things they wouldn't do, or persuading them into believing things they shouldn't believe in. Not particularly malicious, though some people don't see the difference. Of course, unless you know him well, you'll just see him as a casual, laid-back and friendly person, especially when he gets into the vodka. Can be quite charming (I gotta remember to act that way, though). Has to be able to talk his way out of a fight because he can't fight well at all.

Sorry for the long rant, just that I'm working out his personality as I go.

What about your character?
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by imme »

I would lean away from all of us being Russian. Too many Russians spoil the broth? I think that a WWI connection between the russians and coffee would work very well, and still allow a lot of choice in coffee's nationality. (Although, since none of this directly relates to my character, I'm just spouting opinion.) I like the idea of coffee having never actually done any real fighting in the war, but telling wild stories nonetheless. It fits well with the desire to be gregarious, as front line fighting left many emotional/psychological scars.

As for my character, I'm happy to adjust her to fit into any Allied nationality. So far, I'm thinking that she had a rich and privileged upbringing, full of foreign tutors who taught her the classics. Of course she also enjoyed horse riding and other posh recreational activities. At some point she decided to become a "modern woman" (rebelling a bit against her parents, although not enough to stop her funding) and learned to shoot a rifle and drink hard liquor. Depending on timing, this could have also included falling for a charming soldier (coffee's character) who her parents may not have completely approved of. Once nationalities are settled, I'll flesh this out more.
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by imme »

So coffee, where did your character flee to after the revolution? Although French is appealing, I'm leaning toward American for my character (I figure that if we start in New York City, it might be helpful to have at least one native.) She could have met Andrei practically anywhere, since it'd be easy for her to meet him while traveling around the world.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

I would still like to be Russian. I've read a lot about Czarist Russia, and can already totally picture Andrei. I hope that's OK with everyone.

So Andrei flees from Russia with his sister, ends up in.. France? I could have met Imme's character there, and joined you in New York City. My sister stayed in France.

I'll post a more organized character summary later today.

I would say that Andrei loves his girlfriend's wildside, and their relationship works because of their common background. However, Andrei does not like being shown up by women, and probably irritates his girlfriend when these situations arise.

Example: If Andrei can't ride a bike, but his gf wants to teach him, he refuses and gets angry and embarassed, calling it a "childish Western pastime". He doesnt want to look like an idiot.

OK I'll stop rambling. Glad this character is coming to me easily. :)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

So how will we twins know Andrei?

Also, Andrei and Arseni - dang, those two names are similar. That's gonna be interesting.

I just realised ... I should up my English stats, because otherwise, what's the use of my Persuade and Fast Talk. 30% isn't exactly a good amount of language known, is it?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Laraqua wrote: So how will we twins know Andrei?

A few suggestions:

1) We knew each other from the party-days in St. Petersburg
2) One of you dated my sister :)
3) We were together during a certain event in The Great War. Maybe during a particularly gruesome/traumatic event..
4) Our fathers were friends, but we didn't get along so well. Maybe two of us fought other the same girl.
5) We were forced to do something particularly nasty to save our own lives during the Revolution. Had to kill someone/snitch on someone to save ourselves, and the three of us silently live with that guilt.

You two can choose what you like - I'll go with anything!
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

As if we haven't both, at different times, dated your sister, or at least tried to.

thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

His sister was likely happy to have us given our looks :lol: If her name is Anastashia then maybe you were supposed to be my once upon a time bro-in-law and my boy will be happy to have found you and his lost fiance (who he cares for but doesn't really want to marry any longer becasue the outside world has been far too exciting for him to consider settling down).

I'll switch my middle and first name. Now I'm Timour Arseni Rukov, simple enough :wink:
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Wow, I turn my back for a couple of hours and a million posts appear here. :D

Laraqua, thewhatchamacallit & coffee demon: I'm fine with your three Russian characters.

I agree with imme though that it shouldn't really be an entirely Russian crew though, so three's the limit. :)

Imme I'm glad you've decided on the dilettante character.

Laraqua I prefer to keep the posts here until we're actually ready to start playing, four characters aren't enough. I'd prefer that you stick with posting backgrounds here for now, like you have been doing. If anyone actually sorts out a full character at this stage I'd prefer a PM or email.

I'll modify the first post of the thread later to include a blank character sheet/template, it will be the same format as those used in the Mountains of Madness & Orient Express threads.

Right, now I'm going to have to go back and actually read all the posts you've made. :shock:
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Just to clarify - the dilettante is my girlfriend. Got it? -MY- girlfriend - so stay away :)

The sister (who the twins seem to like) lives elsewhere, but that's how you know me. I was probably quite protective of her. I'm also protective of my girlfriend, although I'll try not to show it. Andrei is a pretty insecure fellow, so he overcompensates by trying to be as manly as possible.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

You flying aces might find this site worth a look: http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/by_nation.php
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Really? You and I are going to get along fine. :twisted:

I've fiddled a bit with my stats to try and make it fit my concept better as my concept changes. I'll send them to Raiko later on when I'm more certain of my idea.

Also, wow, Raiko, you should be pleased to see what eager beavers we're being. We all can't wait to play!

Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Oh I am, no worries. 8)

I was shocked, but pleasantly shocked.
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

So what your telling me is you're going to keep a close eye on my brother to make sure he doesn't try anything funny with your lady. Got it and don't worry while you're keeping him honest I'll hang back and keep her company. Just so no one else gets any funny ideas.

I always got your back :wink:
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

You better watch that Timour. Now me, I got a face you can trust. Him? He'd be best up front taking the blows. I'm the sorta kind soul who can give your lady friend solace under the traumas we are about to face. Keep her calm, keep her at peace, keep her from being too unduly upset. You wanna make sure your lady friend ain't gonna faint away in panic, do ya?

(Haven't even started playing and there's already sibling rivalry and vying for the dilletante. Next two players, show up quick, so we can convince Raiko to start the game sooon).

coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

You two are going to drive my character mad! :)

Imme, how stable would you like our relationship to be? Is Andrei "good enough for now"? Or are you madly in love? Or have we been together long enough that it's not such an exciting relationship any more, but stable and we rely on each other..?

Or maybe you can tell me how -I- would see the relationship, and keep your private thoughts to yourself for now, to be revealed later.

Up to you.
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

I dunno coffee, you better spend some points on that apperance :lol:

see Timour here- http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Gable ... ark_01.jpg

semi-related topic: Wondering who's going to have the medical skills in the group to keep us pretty?
Last edited by thewhatchamacallit on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

We do both possess APP: 16 out of 18. We're gonna have a whirl-wind time with the ladies ... until the game grinds our face to look like something a tank tread spat out. But, until then...

I thought of getting First Aid but I couldn't justify it in my character concept. He's not exactly forward-thinking enough to worry about First Aid. It's your job to make sure I don't get hit, after all, so why do I need to worry? You'll just have to carry me to the nearest doctor's worse comes to worse.

Don't I sound like a younger brother?

Return to “Pre-Game Chatter”