Page 1 of 1

Recruitment: Masks of Nyarlathotep, BRP, 1920s

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:29 pm
by Raiko
The Masks of Nyarlathotep

New York, January 1925: An investigator receives a mysterious telegram from their old friend Jackson Elias concerning an archaeological expedition lost in Africa years before.

So begins an epic campaign of global proportions, can the investigators unravel the mysteries of the Carlyle Expedition massacre in time to foil the machinations of the Crawling Chaos?

As I still have a little spare time left, despite my Mountains of Madness campaign, and a private WFRP forum game, I’ve been unable to resist having a go at running this most famous and epic of all Chaosium campaigns.

I’m not sure whether I’ll be able to find anyone on these boards who hasn’t already played or read this adventure, or at least listened to the excellent Yog-Radio files, but I’ll give it a try. So if you fancy giving this huge adventure a go; and you genuinely don’t already know the story then please submit a character.

One character will be an old friend of the NPC Jackson Elias, we’ll decide who it is between us when the character selection is complete.

I reserve the right to end the recruitment process early, so if you are interested make sure that I know before you start writing a character.

As with my BtMoM game, I intend to keep the game moving forward at a suitable pace. I’ll normally try to do this by giving a good “plot kick” every Sunday if necessary. I will post daily Monday – Friday, and I’ll try to post over the weekend as well, I expect the players to try to match this rate. Please only submit characters if you are happy with me running the campaign in this way.

The adventure is very big, and it’s non-linear nature makes it harder to judge how long it will take then my BtMoM game. I expect it will take at least 2-3 years to complete as a PbP game. Please don’t apply if you aren’t going to stick around.

Character Submission Guidelines:

The adventure begins in New York City on 12th January 1925.

Players Required = 6

Submission Deadline = 16th November 2006

Investigators can be built using either the normal rules, or those from the 1920s investigator’s companion.

In place of rolling attributes, please spend 110 points on your attributes as you see fit, modify normally for age.

All of the player characters are mutual friends or associates; I encourage you to work out these connections during the recruitment stage. I’ll look especially favourably on characters links such as husband & wife, parent & child or master/mistress & servant.

If there are too many character submissions then characters that I like, but reject will be placed on a “reserve list,” so the personal links will still be useful. All replacement characters will either come from the original “reserve list,” or be inhabitants of the current location.

The game is very action packed so some combat oriented characters would be a good idea. Good investigative & interpersonal skills are a must though, so some typical CoC librarian or professor types are essential.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:44 pm
by Laraqua
Hey there. I'd be willing to join up. Not sure what I'd play, I'm pretty open. Heck, I'd be happy to play someone's child if they were willing (that'd be fun) though I'm none too sure how many would drag a child into trouble.

Not sure what Masks is about. A globe-trotter, maybe? I listened to the first audio-broadcast but couldn't understand the accents well enough to know anything beyond the fact that one woman craved revenge.

If you're willing, I'll play! I post quite frequently (just check Hurricane Cthulhu) even though I'm Australian I tend towards late nights just so I'm on at about the same time as everyone else.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:16 pm
by Raiko
Oops! I probably should specify that I by parent & child, I was thinking more of young adults and middle aged parents then young parents and any actual children.

Those cultists get up to some pretty nasty things, so I wouldn’t like to make any ‘minors’ view such things. Caring Keeper that I am. :twisted:

Having said that, if anyone had a convincing reason for an actual child character to be involved I wouldn’t exclude the possibility.

Laraqua, you're welcome to submit a character, I don't think that that much knowledge of the game would spoil anything for you. :)

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:51 pm
by Laraqua
Cool. Can I just wait to see what the others are going to bring, though? I'm willing to alter my character to fit other people's wants and needs.

Oh, and a good way to get a child character involved is either a) the street kid who has seen too much and was noticed seeing it or b) the child of another character who has seen too much and was noticed seeing it, and as dangerous as being with that person is, there's nowhere safer to put the child. Of course, again, with the second the issue is: Why isn't the adult running away from the baddies instead of towards them? A certain personality and motivation would work but, not knowing the game world, I can't be sure.

Anywho, like I said, I'll be open to other ideas.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:48 pm
by welsh
Raiko, you are certainly mad to be doing the two greatest classics of the Cthulhu universe! Madness! Surely you have gotten a glimpse beyond the veil.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:02 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
I could do 10 of these things I'm having so much fun. I've never played nor read the adventure but I've certainly heard the buzz. If I can get in on the ground floor on this one I'd die (or go insane whichever comes first) happy :D .

Laraqua, if you want to hook up and figure some PCs out as a team drop me a line, we could be siblings or something like that :)

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:02 am
by imme
Oooo! I have often heard of the fabled Masks but have no actual knowledge of the plot. I'm perfect for this, if I do say so myself. :D How could I not want to get in on the beginning of such an infamous campaign? (And of course I mean infamous in the very best sense.)

I am also rather flexible as to what kind of character I play. But, to help things along I'll throw out a few character types that are appealing to me to see if they might fit with what other people are thinking of running. In no particular order: a dilettante (the type who enjoys going out riding, 'roughing it', etc., not completely useless), a servant (with highly useful, but subtle skills, who knows how to get things done), a medical doctor (who practices medicine but also dabbles in research/experimentation). The servant could be easily connected to another player. I enjoy the idea of playing the dilettante as someone's wife. The medical doctor may best be played as an old friend (or uncle?) of another player.

I'm interested!

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:10 am
by coffee demon
I'd love to play!

Except for work vacations, I'm always around a computer, and can post to forums at any time. I've been roleplaying/DMing for 20+ years now, but this would be my first experience with CoC (just bought the rulebook and Investigator's Companion.) I'm in for the long haul.

Some things I'd like to be:

1) A quiet, unbalanced private investigator with a drug addiction. He's seen too much already. Likes his hometown and his privacy, but enough money convince him to try anything once. Has put his pistol to good use many times.

2) A quiet, balanced male scientist/psychologist with an interest in philosophy and "other perceptions of reality". Could be any age, and have relations/close friends on the trip. I imagine him being a little overweight and untidy.

3) A gregarious ex-soldier. Young, with all the characteristics that come with youth: overconfidence, courage, jealousy, high energy etc. If he's happy, you know it. If he's irritated, watch out. Could be hired as protection, or associated with a significant other (maybe Imme's "Dilettante?"), or an elder member of the trip. I can imagine him being a wealthy and a little spoiled.

Do any of these sound interesting to anyone? Can anyone think of a character that would associate with one of these?

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:56 pm
by Raiko
welsh wrote: Raiko, you are certainly mad to be doing the two greatest classics of the Cthulhu universe! Madness! Surely you have gotten a glimpse beyond the veil.

I'm hoping spread my madness around a bit :lol:

thewhatchamacallit, imme & coffee demon: Great lots of people hoping to join. :D

I like all the character ideas so far, so I'll leave you to it.

Damn it!

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:20 pm
by PrBatblind
I'm in rage I just read it a few month ago! I would have loved playing it! Now I would lurk on your game. Gosh, this is the potentialy most deadly campaign I have ever seen. The Orient-Express is a sinecure compared to it. And as a player, I died three times playing it, so... :D

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:22 pm
by Laraqua
You forgot me.

You don't want me to play it? :(

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:25 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
I think he was just welcoming the new people entring PCs since yesterday :wink:

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:50 pm
by Raiko
Laraqua wrote: You forgot me.

You don't want me to play it? :(

Like thewhatchamacallit said, I'd already welcomed you, of course I still want you to play. :)

PrBatblind I'm sorry to hear that you've read the game, I'd have loved to have you as a player.
PrBatblind wrote: And as a player, I died three times playing it, so... :D

Yes, this campaign does seem to usually end on a sad note. :twisted:

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:58 pm
by imme
Coffee demon, I'd be happy to pair my dilettante with your ex-soldier. That sounds like it could be a very fun(ny) combination. If you'd like to go with that, send me a pm and we can figure out background.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:03 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
Nice. Looks like we got a good team building. Laraqua and I are setting up twin, Russian, fly-boy brothers, both former air service officers in WWI. Now free agents since the revolution and our unceremonious exile from the motherland.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:26 pm
by Laraqua
I'm the brains, thewhatchamacallit's just the muscle.

I just realised that, without thinking, we've got typical birth times. You're character's the eldest and he has to defend me, the cheerful and conniving younger brother. Hehe.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:48 pm
by Laraqua
But how are we going to pair the ex-soldier and dilletante with ex-Russian Air Force folk wandering around? Made friends at the right pub I suppose... Any ideas?

Perhaps it'd be best if Raiko got himself a forum opened up so we can use the OOC chat to sort this stuff out. Just a thought. Maybe it's just me, but I'm rearing to go and it'd be great to reveal all.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:53 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
I think coffee and the brothers might have met and formed a friendship during the war, perhaps not one where they all kept in touch but enough that they can recognize each other when they meet again.

Andrei... maybe?

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:27 pm
by coffee demon
The four of us (Dilettante, and the twins) could be russian... Russia was pretty screwed after The Great War, but there was definitely a lot of wealthy people still hanging around. I could totally picture my guy (lets call him "Andrei"), being an aristocrat. Maybe he doesn't have as much battle experience as he likes to pretend. Could have been an officer in the war, though. I just found the following on a website:

"The boyar was the second highest ranking social group in Russia. Boyars were warrior nobles. They were the ones who owned most the land and the serfs. The nobles were wealthy families that lived in great comfort. They spent most of their winters in Moscow or St. Petersburg. There they may have had up to 100 serfs working for them. The rooms were filled with guests almost every night. Very often there were dancing parties at which serfs played music late into the night. In the summer, the nobles traveled to their country estates, where they were attended by even more serfs. nobles maintained strict discipline by beating and flogging serfs who were constantly displeasing them. "

Andrei could be the son of a noble! His father manipulated his assignments in the Great War so he never had the dangerous posts. He's still dying to prove himself, and to impress his lady, (Imme's character), who might make fun of his cushy upbringing...?

By 1920, Russia was communist though, and czars/nobles were kinda on the run. In outlying areas, (far from Moscow & St Petersburg), I think they still had a pretty good life.

Any thoughts..? I'm just shooting this out there to see what you all think.

-Jay

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:42 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
Yessir, Arseni (my Pc) and Maksim (L's Pc) were Boyars from St. P (Russia's former capital) so this would give ample opportunity for us to know each other.

As for the Dilettante though she (I'm assuming she) could be from anywhere, France pops into my mind but the sky's the limit.

As long as your soldier is from a WWI Russia-allied country he could be from anywhere too.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:02 pm
by coffee demon
You're right, Imme's character could be from anywhere.

I like the idea of being a Boyar. So we can know each other quite well - all the balls in St. Petersburg before the fall of Tsarism, etc.... "ah, those were the days!"

Any idea what your personailities are like? I imagine Andrei being a bit of a hothead, probably fun to party with but a sore loser. We could be best friends, or have witnessed a brutal scene that bonds us.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:10 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
Here's the gist of Arseni;

Appearance & Personality: Dashing, charismatic, outgoing and brash. Loves to gamble and would kill to protect his family and friends. Flirtatious, fashions himself a ladies-man, Arseni is known for his love of cards, dancing and adventure. He hates horseback riding and fears close spaces.

Background: Born the oldest of a set of twins. Originally from a wealthy boyar family in St. Petersburg. Young Arseni (which means 'virile' in his native tongue) attended the University of Moscow, partaking in wrestling and English/Russian philosophy classes before joining the air service in 1916. Fought as a bi-plane gunner and navigator with his 'younger' brother Maksim, their team's pilot and main mechanic.

Once almost married, Arseni's life was thrown into turmoil during the Russian revolution of 1917 and was forced to flee the country along with his brother; empty handed and agonized about the twist of fate life has dealt them. He still worries about his family and former bride still trapped inside of Russia and seeks the money necessary to secure their safe transport to England or at the very least the Americas.

Family members: One twin, Maksim, his slightly younger brother, was in the air force and war with him, continues to travel with and look after him. Parents deceased in red October uprising. One cousin Tatiana whom he wishes to see away from Russia as well as his nanny Yula, who has gone from a highly paid child-care provider to a common scullery maid, a fact he detests.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:13 pm
by Laraqua
Maksim's personality seems very laid back and amiable, particularly if he's being manipulative or just finding out about someone, and makes a great shoulder to cry on, but at times he'll let the intense curiosity show in his eyes, particularly when he's angry at something. Anger makes him boil over, wanting to pick apart his target and know why it would do that. So yeah, very introspective, though outwardly full of bluff and bravado.

One of those people who's capable of talking someone into doing all sorts of things they wouldn't do, or persuading them into believing things they shouldn't believe in. Not particularly malicious, though some people don't see the difference. Of course, unless you know him well, you'll just see him as a casual, laid-back and friendly person, especially when he gets into the vodka. Can be quite charming (I gotta remember to act that way, though). Has to be able to talk his way out of a fight because he can't fight well at all.

Sorry for the long rant, just that I'm working out his personality as I go.

What about your character?

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:26 pm
by imme
I would lean away from all of us being Russian. Too many Russians spoil the broth? I think that a WWI connection between the russians and coffee would work very well, and still allow a lot of choice in coffee's nationality. (Although, since none of this directly relates to my character, I'm just spouting opinion.) I like the idea of coffee having never actually done any real fighting in the war, but telling wild stories nonetheless. It fits well with the desire to be gregarious, as front line fighting left many emotional/psychological scars.

As for my character, I'm happy to adjust her to fit into any Allied nationality. So far, I'm thinking that she had a rich and privileged upbringing, full of foreign tutors who taught her the classics. Of course she also enjoyed horse riding and other posh recreational activities. At some point she decided to become a "modern woman" (rebelling a bit against her parents, although not enough to stop her funding) and learned to shoot a rifle and drink hard liquor. Depending on timing, this could have also included falling for a charming soldier (coffee's character) who her parents may not have completely approved of. Once nationalities are settled, I'll flesh this out more.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:40 pm
by imme
So coffee, where did your character flee to after the revolution? Although French is appealing, I'm leaning toward American for my character (I figure that if we start in New York City, it might be helpful to have at least one native.) She could have met Andrei practically anywhere, since it'd be easy for her to meet him while traveling around the world.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:08 pm
by coffee demon
I would still like to be Russian. I've read a lot about Czarist Russia, and can already totally picture Andrei. I hope that's OK with everyone.

So Andrei flees from Russia with his sister, ends up in.. France? I could have met Imme's character there, and joined you in New York City. My sister stayed in France.

I'll post a more organized character summary later today.

I would say that Andrei loves his girlfriend's wildside, and their relationship works because of their common background. However, Andrei does not like being shown up by women, and probably irritates his girlfriend when these situations arise.

Example: If Andrei can't ride a bike, but his gf wants to teach him, he refuses and gets angry and embarassed, calling it a "childish Western pastime". He doesnt want to look like an idiot.

OK I'll stop rambling. Glad this character is coming to me easily. :)

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:20 pm
by Laraqua
So how will we twins know Andrei?

Also, Andrei and Arseni - dang, those two names are similar. That's gonna be interesting.

I just realised ... I should up my English stats, because otherwise, what's the use of my Persuade and Fast Talk. 30% isn't exactly a good amount of language known, is it?

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:31 pm
by coffee demon
Laraqua wrote: So how will we twins know Andrei?

A few suggestions:

1) We knew each other from the party-days in St. Petersburg
2) One of you dated my sister :)
3) We were together during a certain event in The Great War. Maybe during a particularly gruesome/traumatic event..
4) Our fathers were friends, but we didn't get along so well. Maybe two of us fought other the same girl.
5) We were forced to do something particularly nasty to save our own lives during the Revolution. Had to kill someone/snitch on someone to save ourselves, and the three of us silently live with that guilt.

You two can choose what you like - I'll go with anything!

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:40 pm
by Laraqua
As if we haven't both, at different times, dated your sister, or at least tried to.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:09 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
His sister was likely happy to have us given our looks :lol: If her name is Anastashia then maybe you were supposed to be my once upon a time bro-in-law and my boy will be happy to have found you and his lost fiance (who he cares for but doesn't really want to marry any longer becasue the outside world has been far too exciting for him to consider settling down).

I'll switch my middle and first name. Now I'm Timour Arseni Rukov, simple enough :wink:

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:27 pm
by Raiko
Wow, I turn my back for a couple of hours and a million posts appear here. :D

Laraqua, thewhatchamacallit & coffee demon: I'm fine with your three Russian characters.

I agree with imme though that it shouldn't really be an entirely Russian crew though, so three's the limit. :)

Imme I'm glad you've decided on the dilettante character.

Laraqua I prefer to keep the posts here until we're actually ready to start playing, four characters aren't enough. I'd prefer that you stick with posting backgrounds here for now, like you have been doing. If anyone actually sorts out a full character at this stage I'd prefer a PM or email.

I'll modify the first post of the thread later to include a blank character sheet/template, it will be the same format as those used in the Mountains of Madness & Orient Express threads.

Right, now I'm going to have to go back and actually read all the posts you've made. :shock:

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:34 pm
by coffee demon
Just to clarify - the dilettante is my girlfriend. Got it? -MY- girlfriend - so stay away :)

The sister (who the twins seem to like) lives elsewhere, but that's how you know me. I was probably quite protective of her. I'm also protective of my girlfriend, although I'll try not to show it. Andrei is a pretty insecure fellow, so he overcompensates by trying to be as manly as possible.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:48 pm
by Raiko
You flying aces might find this site worth a look: http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/by_nation.php

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:48 pm
by Laraqua
Really? You and I are going to get along fine. :twisted:

I've fiddled a bit with my stats to try and make it fit my concept better as my concept changes. I'll send them to Raiko later on when I'm more certain of my idea.

Also, wow, Raiko, you should be pleased to see what eager beavers we're being. We all can't wait to play!

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:50 pm
by Raiko
Oh I am, no worries. 8)

I was shocked, but pleasantly shocked.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:51 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
So what your telling me is you're going to keep a close eye on my brother to make sure he doesn't try anything funny with your lady. Got it and don't worry while you're keeping him honest I'll hang back and keep her company. Just so no one else gets any funny ideas.

I always got your back :wink:

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:56 pm
by Laraqua
You better watch that Timour. Now me, I got a face you can trust. Him? He'd be best up front taking the blows. I'm the sorta kind soul who can give your lady friend solace under the traumas we are about to face. Keep her calm, keep her at peace, keep her from being too unduly upset. You wanna make sure your lady friend ain't gonna faint away in panic, do ya?

(Haven't even started playing and there's already sibling rivalry and vying for the dilletante. Next two players, show up quick, so we can convince Raiko to start the game sooon).

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:02 am
by coffee demon
You two are going to drive my character mad! :)

Imme, how stable would you like our relationship to be? Is Andrei "good enough for now"? Or are you madly in love? Or have we been together long enough that it's not such an exciting relationship any more, but stable and we rely on each other..?

Or maybe you can tell me how -I- would see the relationship, and keep your private thoughts to yourself for now, to be revealed later.

Up to you.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:05 am
by thewhatchamacallit
I dunno coffee, you better spend some points on that apperance :lol:

see Timour here- http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Gable ... ark_01.jpg

semi-related topic: Wondering who's going to have the medical skills in the group to keep us pretty?

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:07 am
by Laraqua
We do both possess APP: 16 out of 18. We're gonna have a whirl-wind time with the ladies ... until the game grinds our face to look like something a tank tread spat out. But, until then...

I thought of getting First Aid but I couldn't justify it in my character concept. He's not exactly forward-thinking enough to worry about First Aid. It's your job to make sure I don't get hit, after all, so why do I need to worry? You'll just have to carry me to the nearest doctor's worse comes to worse.

Don't I sound like a younger brother?

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:11 am
by thewhatchamacallit
oh don't tell him we should make him crazy... I... mean... guess. We should make him guess :lol:

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:14 am
by Laraqua
True, true. We might not even like his lady friend. *winks* There's always that chance. She might be a sullen, mean-spirited lady. Or APP: 3.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:16 am
by Raiko
I've just posted a link on the main Yog-Sothoth board, so hopefully the other two players will be summoned up shortly (as well as a few posts from people who think it's impossible to run pbp). ;)

I'm prepared to start when we've got enough players. I might need a day or two for last minute preparations though, I thought I'd have a month :lol:

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:23 am
by Raiko
thewhatchamacallit: I've read your PM, your character looks fine, you might have to loose the Browning Automatic Rifle though, unless you're very convincing.

I've no problem with obtaining black market weapons in-game later though.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:26 am
by thewhatchamacallit
No worries

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:35 am
by coffee demon
I'll wait until we hear more about the other members before I really start on my character. I also want to hear Imme's thoughts on our relationship.

(On top of that, my Investigators Handbook is in the mail, so I'm gonna stall for as long as I can. But if I have to, I'll make someone from the basic book.)

I'm totally looking forward to this.

Two good looking brothers - Andrei's heart is going to come out of his throat when he sees you two. I hope Imme decides her character is madly in love with Andrei, and stops any of your advances with a slap in the face. Otherwise Andrei is going to have a lot of posturing to do!

I was thinking I'd look like the centre guy in this photo:

http://www.lossiantiik.ee/ebay/04-07-08-52.jpg

Not really a match for Clark Gable :)

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:38 am
by Laraqua
We're going to have the best banter ever. Remind me to get my players to have to know each other before we start, next time. This has caused so much fun elements.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:47 am
by thewhatchamacallit
This reminds me, since I'm a primarily a d20 CoC player, what exactly does APP do? I mean skills cover persuation and fast talk, so what go does a high APP do rather than merely support roleplaying?

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:50 am
by Laraqua
Well, it helps us win over the lady friend. It's sometimes rolled x5 to get us a good reception. Mostly it's just so the Keeper can work out how people respond and what not, especially considering CoC doesn't have any Charisma to work with. At least, that's how I've always thought of it.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:56 am
by thewhatchamacallit
Cool

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:31 am
by Raiko
Like Laraqua said, it's used for first impressions (especially with the opposite sex).

I'll take into account particularly high or low APP scores even when I don't roll.

APP and social skills (credit rating / persuade / fast talk) actually work much better in a forum game than tabletop, as there is always time to roll without breaking the roleplaying.

BTW: I concidered using CoC d20, but decided just to stick with the campaign as printed.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:35 am
by thewhatchamacallit
totally agree more people seem to prefer it, though if I ever got a Dark Ages game up and going (something I've been considering) I think d20 would work really well.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:33 am
by Grafster
I want to play!
(Saw your post at Yog)

I actually played a PbM Masks game.
For about a week.
Before the DM had life/stress related burn out.
So my dreams of playing in “the best CoC campaign ever published” were thwarted... Until now?

My character for that game was a lame Chinese American PI ex-cop recovering ex-alcoholic. (Ok. It sounds like a lot when I type it out, but I felt like it worked at the time for a character).

I picked Chinese somewhat randomly; it explained why, despite a lot of native intelligence, he’d never gotten off the streets. The large Chinese community in NY requires some beat cops with language skills, etc.
[It also let me get a bit of kung fu (it’s a roleplaying game).]

As a desperate PI who needed money (and who was also searching for an identity) he was easy to insert into the game and then (theoretically) for him to get caught up in the whole thing.

I do not know a lot about Russia but I would be happy to figure out some sort of link; either with the Chinese PI, with a Russian PI (i.e. similar character but Russian-American) or another character entirely.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:50 am
by coffee demon
Grafster,

I suppose you could be hired by one of us for the trip, as a bit of protection (altough I think the three russian boys are a little too manly to think they'd need more protection.)

Maybe Imme, the "Dilettante", knows you from somewhere? I have no idea how this journey begins, but maybe an investigator would need to be involved.

I don't imagine my character, Andrei, would have a direct relationship with you. He still has the upper-class snob thing going on. Even though he's in a foreign country, he still tries to associate with the upper crust through his girl.

Anyone else have some ideas?

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:58 am
by thewhatchamacallit
I think the rest of the PCs should hook up through imme for variety purposes

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:03 am
by Laraqua
Your Chinese-American cook / have relatives who cook exotic food? My character is always curious about other cultures, investigating and picking apart everything, so much so that he's probably one of the few people who realise that his own culture is a culture, too. Not that he won't have his own prejudices (everyone does) but they'll be based more on a belief in Behaviourism than in Genetic Determinism. The P.I. sub-culture would also be imminently fascinating to him.

Question is: if you're willing, where did they meet?

I dunno. I just don't see a dilletante having much to do with a down-and-out P.I. Wouldn't they hire someone with a little bit more social standing?

Also, it doesn't matter if my character rocked up the day before, we could still be good friends. A night on the town and some good times can make for the best friends. P'raps met up while gambling? Or during one of my character's minor con schemes?

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:13 am
by imme
I'm with Raiko in my astonishment, I turn my back for a few hours and a full page of posts pops up! And you guys are hilarious, I was laughing out loud as I watched the banter develop and coffee get insecure about a relationship that hasn't actually been written yet.

Coffee, regarding the relationship: uh, I don't know. How long has it been since they met in France? I'm sure she initially fell for him because of his "exotic" nature, charm, and tales of daring. Depending on how long it's been since they met, she could still be in the initial crush stage. If it's been longer, I'll have to think about how the relationship may have developed. (Oh, and I think it makes complete sense that he gets testy when she upstages him, but Andrei better be charming too, to make up for it. :wink: )

Grafster, if you can figure out some connection your PI would have to a rich family, I'd be happy to be your connection to the group. I don't think that you should have been hired for protection (as I'm sure three Russian ex-soldiers would never allow that blow to their pride). But, depending on how the game starts, you could have been hired for your investigative skills. I'm going to wait to write up my full character until we've got connections for everybody (including the yet-to-be-found last player).

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:43 am
by coffee demon
Imme, I think it would create some tension (which is always good) if the "crush" part of our relationship was wearing off. Andrei probably does well when things are very formal (i.e. your parents probably like him), but he doesn't seem so relaxed playing games and joking around. He's a genuinely nice guy, though, and is having some troubles adapting to the American way of life. You can decide whether you're getting tired of him or not, but I think he will still like you. I doubt he's charming when around others, but has very genuine open moments with you.

It's bothering him more and more that he's not really noble -anything- any more. Tsarist Russia is gone, and he has nothing in America.

Maybe this journey is a way for him to find himself, start a new career and empire, and prove himself to you.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:47 am
by Decrepit
So, Raiko, where are you at in terms of the numbers for this one? I have Masks, and I vaguely remember reading bits and pieces of it years ago, so even if you've got a slot left, I'm trying to decide whether I'm too contaminated.

I'd also just like to say to anyone already in who hasn't played with Raiko yet: you're gonna have a great ride; he's doing a stand-up job on Mountains.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:06 am
by Laraqua
I'm not Raiko and can't be sure that he hasn't been PMed but I believe there have only been five people apply on this forum.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:27 am
by imme
Coffee, sounds good. They met in France, had a great time, and she convinced him to come back to America with her (I'm not sure yet if she's the type that would want to bring him to show her parents, but it seems like you're saying that Andrei would feel required to introduce himself to them). During the boat ride home they got to know each other more, and now that they're in the US the initial thrill is starting to wear off (to be replaced by a deeper relationship? ... only time shall tell :wink: ).

Here are a couple pictures of what she looks like:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/normavalen ... 086018769/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/normavalen ... 086018769/

Oh, I should also probably give her a name: Elizabeth Downing

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:03 am
by Grafster
Given that he’s both lame (i.e. has a bad leg) and small of stature the PI isn’t really around for muscle.

There was a bit of an issue aborted game with the whole “social caste” issue. I.e. most of the rest of the group swung pretty hard toward the “educated and/or upper crust” side of things.

At the same time I remember being told (admittedly by a different keeper who may have had a different take on the game) that some degree of practical detective work would be useful.

But the character was a bit dark anyway.

How about this: (Just riffing here)

Maybe an affable American Jewish boy whose family is originally from Russia (several generations back) whose family made it good doing something (commodities related trading?) in the US. During the 10s (when he was in his mid-teens) he traveled with his uncle back to St. Petersburg to try to work out some mining concessions.
During the time he became friends with one, or more, agreeable Russians (they may have either been the rightful holders of assets of interest, older family acquaintances or just a right-time-right-place thing).
Returning home the boy grew more and more interested in academia and less personally religious. He attended a small school in the mid-west majoring in history and ancient languages.
Upon graduation he returned in time to hear that his childhood (family?) acquaintances have been ejected from their homeland and maybe supplies some sort of assistance (financial, or social or something).
Now he does some small family business but primarily enjoys the lifestyles afforded wealthy sons in the 20s and follows his growing interest/fascination with the ancient and the obscure.

Not sure if that works better than the PI or not….
But we’d have the social, physical (ex-solder), and scholarly portions of the ‘team’ rounded out.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:03 am
by Grafster
Given that he’s both lame (i.e. has a bad leg) and small of stature the PI isn’t really around for muscle.

There was a bit of an issue aborted game with the whole “social caste” issue. I.e. most of the rest of the group swung pretty hard toward the “educated and/or upper crust” side of things.

At the same time I remember being told (admittedly by a different keeper who may have had a different take on the game) that some degree of practical detective work would be useful.

But the character was a bit dark anyway.

How about this: (Just riffing here)

Maybe an affable American Jewish boy whose family is originally from Russia (several generations back) whose family made it good doing something (commodities related trading?) in the US. During the 10s (when he was in his mid-teens) he traveled with his uncle back to St. Petersburg to try to work out some mining concessions.
During the time he became friends with one, or more, agreeable Russians (they may have either been the rightful holders of assets of interest, older family acquaintances or just a right-time-right-place thing).
Returning home the boy grew more and more interested in academia and less personally religious. He attended a small school in the mid-west majoring in history and ancient languages.
Upon graduation he returned in time to hear that his childhood (family?) acquaintances have been ejected from their homeland and maybe supplies some sort of assistance (financial, or social or something).
Now he does some small family business but primarily enjoys the lifestyles afforded wealthy sons in the 20s and follows his growing interest/fascination with the ancient and the obscure.

Not sure if that works better than the PI or not….
But we’d have the social, physical (ex-solder), and scholarly portions of the ‘team’ rounded out.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:53 am
by thewhatchamacallit
imme wrote: Coffee, sounds good.

Oh I think we found our dillettante's catch phrase :lol:

I love the pics too, that's one delicate looking flower there and I'm sure the whole group will be motivated to keep her safe.

Grafster and Decrepit we still need a doctor or driver or outdoors man like a guide to keep us happy and safe in a rural setting. A character that I'm still thinking should have more in common with the dilettante.

imme has suggested she was an active outdoorsy type art collector, not overly afraid of getting her hands or her skirt dirty. It may make sense to say your PC filled in somehow with that role by either tending to here health (at her families request perhaps), driving her to and from different places and possibly making travel arrangements or being the person she hired to teach her all of the camping, hiking and sportsman skills she would need to become proficient at 'roughing it.'

Just my $0.02 :)

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:54 am
by Raiko
Grafster & Decrepit: I’ve sent you each a PM to establish what you do or don’t know about the adventure, but I’m happy for both of you to play.

Assuming that they are both in then we’ve got six players, so the recruitment is now closed. Anyone else who applies will go onto the “Reserve List.”
Grafster wrote: At the same time I remember being told (admittedly by a different keeper who may have had a different take on the game) that some degree of practical detective work would be useful.

That’s my take on it as well, in fact I’d say it’s essential. Personally I like your PI character.

I’d rather your character had a connection to imme’s dilettante than the three Russians, as I’ve pretty much decided to make her the character who Jackson Elias contacts. So if you go with the academic character there isn’t any need for a St-Petersburg connection.

If you lost the ‘lame’ aspect of the Chinese PI character he could be a bodyguard or chaperone type for Elizabeth, the kung-fu would make up for his small stature (esp. in the 20’s when such skills would be very exotic). She would probably have had a minder of some sort before she met Andrei in France so the presence of the Russians wouldn’t effect his suitability to accompany Elizabeth.

Alternatively sticking with him as a lame character, I don’t see any reason that he couldn’t have worked for Elizabeth or her family as a PI in the past, though I’d rather he was permanently employed by her/them in some way - I'm sure that her rich family could have a reason to employ somebody for those 'odd jobs' that might need doing.

I cut these bits from the Wikipedia article on New York’s Chinatown.
wikipedia wrote: Chinatown started on Mott Street, Park, Pell and Doyer streets, east of the notorious Five Points district. By 1870, there was a Chinese population of 200. By the time the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 was passed, the population was up to 2,000 residents. By 1900, there were 7,000 Chinese residents, but fewer than 200 Chinese women.

wikipedia wrote: Until the 1960s, the bulk of the population was Toisan and Cantonese speaking, coming from a small area of Guangdong province and Hong Kong with a small minority of Hakka also represented. Mandarin was rarely spoken by natives even well into the 1980s.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:20 pm
by Raiko
Decrepit & Grafster: I’d quite like the group to include a second female character, if either of you’d like to oblige. A friend of Elizabeth’s perhaps?

With this whole ‘love square’ thing going on there still wouldn’t be enough ladies to go around. :lol:

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:24 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
Well perhaps my brother would like to become my sister. Mom always used to worry about him anyway :lol:

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:26 pm
by Laraqua
If it was World War II and we were Communists, sure I could be a female pilot. Not at this point in time, though...

Sif Mom worried about me. I'm just awesome.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:28 pm
by Raiko
Here is the cast so far:

Laraqua: Maksim Rukov, former Russian aviator, twin brother of Timour
thewhatchamacallit: Timour Arseni Rukov, former Russian aviator, twin brother of Maksim
imme: Elizabeth Downing, New York dilettante
coffee demon: Andrei, Former Russian soldier
decrepit: ?
Grafster: Chinese American PI or Jewish Academic

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:31 pm
by Laraqua
Aha! See, I get to be the first name above my brother. Even God (the Keeper) loves me more.

Okay, enough posturing. Promise I won't be this egotistical in the game. I'm just having fun waiting for the board to come alive.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:38 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
That's a good looking group so far

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:13 pm
by imme
My $0.02: I think an easy (and very appropriate) way to connect one of the new characters would be as someone who had a reason to be travelling in France with Elizabeth, either as a chaparone or a good friend. I figure she couldn't have been travelling alone anyway, and while she could have been accompanied by an NPC, this connection would give someone the chance to already know Andrei somewhat, too.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:51 pm
by Grafster
OK. I like Johnny Wong, we'll stick with.
I think that he'll be ethnicly Cantonese if that works.

Statements regarding the leg understood. He's got an old injury from when, at a much younger age, he helped her father fend off a gang of theives in the back allies of New York. It hurts during temperature changes but he can move about with it.

The older Downing felt an obligation toward the boy and sponsored his education (including NYU where he studied law; since their wiki claims that they took people of all ages without concern of race starting in the 1830s).

Appearance:
He dresses well with a hat and suit; though often a bit rumpled.
He keeps a cane and affects a limp at all times (partially because it makes people underestimate him and partially because he doesn't like carrying other people's bags or otherwise being bossed around).

Sarcastic and mindful the boy had trouble finding employment after he completed his studies and found work with the Downings. He is dilligent and polite when the Downings are around, or he is on their business.

Johnny was accompanying Miss Downing on her trip to France. He's probably polite toward Andrei but doesn't call him Mr. whateverhislastnameis.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:59 pm
by Raiko
Cool 8)

I've communicated with decrepit via PM, and I'm happy that his limited knowledge of the adventure won't spoil it for him.

So we have our six players. :D

I'll PM Lee later to get the forum up, it'll be a few days at least before the game starts though, so no rush for characters yet.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:03 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
I love character building almost as much as playing the game :D

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:26 pm
by coffee demon
Grafster wrote: Johnny was accompanying Miss Downing on her trip to France. He's probably polite toward Andrei but doesn't call him Mr. whateverhislastnameis.

Andrei probably treats you politely as well - but you always get the sense that you're still a servant in his eyes.

Maybe Andrei sometimes confides in you as well. You've shared a few late-night drinks with him maybe? But he never treats you with the same familiarity in front of other people. You (and Elizabeth) probably get the sense that he would be a lot more comfortable if he could lose the "nobleman" schtick and be himself. He doesn't seem to be cut out for the noble stuff - it always seems like a show he's putting on.

He's rougher and wilder deep down, which is why he likes Elizabeth's wild side. Maybe one day he'll learn to let go.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:21 pm
by Decrepit
I'll have to catch up on this exploding thread a bit later, but I'm happy enough to play a female character. Bit of a break from my male journalist in BMM.

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:00 am
by Raiko
I've asked Lee to start a new forum for us now.

You can start posting character gen stuff there, rather than here once the forum is up.

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:09 am
by Grafster
We have forum.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:14 am
by Laraqua
Well perhaps my brother would like to become my sister. Mom always used to worry about him anyway.

OI! I just realised what you were saying here.

Fine, I'll prove my character's heterosexuality by vying for y'know-who's attention. :P I'm sure he'll just love to hear it.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:57 am
by thewhatchamacallit
:lol:

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:13 pm
by PrBatblind
Guys, I really envy you. It was a wonderful thing following your enthusiastic character-creation. The finalized sheets I already saw are top-quality. I hope such a witty & merry fellowship will see someday the end of this huge campaign.
Good luck to you all!

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:16 pm
by Laraqua
You hear that, Raiko? PrBlatblind is so amused by our character concepts he or she wants us to see it to the end? That means no killing poor Maksim Mikhailovich or Timour! Y'hear that? Otherwise, PrBratblind will be very disappointed in the game. You wouldn't want that now, would you?

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:32 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
<Timour leans forward and taps the microphone to make sure it is still working> "Ahem, I uh, as one of the frontline character second that motion. Thank you."

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:33 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
:lol:

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:39 pm
by Raiko
Laraqua wrote: You hear that, Raiko? PrBlatblind is so amused by our character concepts he or she wants us to see it to the end? That means no killing poor Maksim Mikhailovich or Timour! Y'hear that? Otherwise, PrBratblind will be very disappointed in the game. You wouldn't want that now, would you?

I'll see what I can do! I wouldn't want to upset Séb, or bad bad things might happen to Anthony in his Orient Express game. :lol:

Re: Recruitment: Masks of Nyarlathotep, BRP, 1920s

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:52 am
by Kola_Bear
hey, by the looks of things the game is looking like its filled up. But if you want an extra or a sub i'd be interested.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:22 am
by Raiko
Kola_Bear wrote: hey, by the looks of things the game is looking like its filled up. But if you want an extra or a sub i'd be interested.

Thanks for your interest. :)
The game is full at the moment, but I'm considering whether or not to bring in one extra player when the team leaves New York.

I'll send you a private message when I've decided, and if you're still interest you'll be first in line for a place. It's likely to be at least a few weeks before they leave New York though.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:23 pm
by Kola_Bear
OK well the character idea that came to me when i was reading through was a chaperone for Elizabeth, an older friend of the family sort.

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:03 am
by Raiko
Kola_Bear wrote: OK well the character idea that came to me when i was reading through was a chaperone for Elizabeth, an older friend of the family sort.

I'm afraid that Johnny is Elizabeth's chaperone/bodyguard, and has been throughout her earlier European travels. Obviously he doesn't appear to be the world's greatest chaperone, but he is a good bodyguard and Elizabeth's father is quite happy with the service that Johnny provides.

Your character will have to come from the next location rather than New York, and at this stage I don't know what that destination will be (the adventure is almost totally non-linear). I don't plan on adding additional New York based characters now, even if several pc deaths occur.

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:12 pm
by Kola_Bear
ok i didnt notice that. drop me a pm then whenever you know what the next location will be and i'll see if i can come up with something.