IC Day One, 11pm Meeting, Government House

Calcutta and the Oudh, 1857: The days of the British East India Company's rule over South Asia are coming to an end. But it is the start of a a new year, and the troubles that are about to spring forth are only vague rumors and distant stories slowly filtering to the teeming populace of Calcutta, the administrative heart of British rule on the subcontinent. Peace, it seems, is being achieved through unification and pacification. For the young British officials employed by what is affectionately known as "John Company" it is a chance to make a fortune before one day returning to England with money in one's pocket and a substantial financial investment in India's growing commercial development. The so-called "fishing fleet" is due to arrive, while the sounds, the sights and smells of this foreign soil is nearly overwhelming. But Victorian pluck and courage allows for adjustment and what passes for acceptance to quickly appear. India is a mystery, and a welcome one, for the young East Indian Company officials or Company soldiers, or perhaps their spouses or fiancees, who are assigned as staff members to a newly appointed District Commissioner for the recently pacified region of north India the British are calling the Oudh. Destiny is calling, as is adventure and mystery. Are you willing to participate in this call to your duty as well as the lure of potential profits beyond even your wildest beliefs?

Moderator: Lammomedes

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: IC Day One, 11pm Meeting, Government House

Post by ghill »

While the others talked Strachan thought of the possibilities. Detached duty would mean a lot of freedom, perhaps some extra monies.

"No questions really sir, is there a clerk or someone else we should be liasing with regards the details of travel?"
OOC:,Strachan is ( as am I) assuming the written orders are typically broad brush, ignoring any minor details which will need to be arranged by lesser men than Sir Talbot.
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Lammomedes »

ghill wrote:While the others talked Strachan thought of the possibilities. Detached duty would mean a lot of freedom, perhaps some extra monies.

"No questions really sir, is there a clerk or someone else we should be liasing with regards the details of travel?"
OOC:,Strachan is ( as am I) assuming the written orders are typically broad brush, ignoring any minor details which will need to be arranged by lesser men than Sir Talbot.
OOC:,In fact the written orders are very vague, simply indicating that you will learn more when you arrive in Fyzabad and are given instructions by the Resident Administrator Kincaid.
Talbot looks up and simply says. "If you need anything in particular, Martins here will answer any questions you might have. Passage has been secured, you simply need to get to the docks by 6 am the day after tomorrow."

Martins coughs. "Sir, if you would excuse me for a moment." When he receives a wave of the hand from Talbot, he turns to the group. "Fyzabad is far enough away from creature comforts here in Calcutta, that I would advise you to bring everything you think you might need for the first three months, at least as far as personal belongings. While it shouldn't take three months to receive items from Calcutta, it could take several weeks for a request to make its way through Lucknow to Calcutta, and then back to Lucknow for overland transport to Fyzabad. However, you have a weight limit on the transport of 100 lbs. per person. If you have any mounts you already purchased, one animal will be shipped with you on this voyage. If you have a coach or carriage, it will have to be shipped out to you at a later date."

Talbot looks about. "Any more questions, milady, gentlemen?"
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"I'm glad to serve however I can," says Julia. "I too have learned the Hindi language, which will prove useful. I also have some medical skills that will be of use. Is there a doctor in Fyzabad? I can assist there when not engaged in other duties."
Talbot looks at some paperwork. "There is a military surgeon assigned to the troops already stationed in Fyzabad. He is a well skilled Hindu, from what I understand. However, the nearest English doctor is stationed in Lucknow, I am afraid." Martins looks up. "That's about 80 miles or so between Fyzabad and Lucknow."

Talbot responds. "I am sure the Resident Administrator and the handful of other Europeans present would welcome your medical skills, Miss Kaye."
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Gaffer wrote:Arthur Dodgson

I expect that somewhere in this great city there is some other bloke name of Dodgson, crying his eyes out at this very moment on account of I got the invitation that was rightfully his, Arthur muses to himself, Well, they're welcome to what use of me they can get right up to the moment something more remunerative comes along. Meanwhile, it's grateful I am for the bed and board and transport.

He gives SecretaryTalbot his most manly and encouraging smile.
Talbot nods back.
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

markh wrote:Attempting to hide his relief at being able to return to the Oudh, Thomas is nevertheless unable to prevent a broad smile. "No questions, sir. Delighted to serve in whatever capacity required. Absolutely..." He clamps his teeth shut on what was about to be an embarrassing torrent of gratitude, and peers around with more interest at what it appears to be his new travelling companions. Hopefuly he'll be able to stow his horses on the riverboat, he muses.
Talbot looks up at Wakeham. "Ensign Wakeham? Since you are already familiar with the Oudh to some extent, you should prove to be an excellent guide. While Fyzabad is not exactly your home, it shouldn't prove to be to difficult to get a jist of in short order."
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Talbot looks at the other men in the room. He shuffles a few papers and then coughs clearing his throat.

"Captain Strachan, your commanding officer has decided to detach you from the Bombay Light Cavalry for the moment. However, I am told that you are to be in charge of the small military detachment in Fyzabad as the senior ranking officer. There is a Lieutenant Peel already stationed there, overseeing the soldiers garrisoned in the city, but they are locally raised. Other than yourself and these good men here, and Lieutenant Peel, you are the only British military personnel assigned to the city. I understand that the Resident Administrator is not much of a military man, so it likely you, Captain Strachan, can decide how you are going to assign Dodgson, Wakeham and Michaels to what specific military duties."

"Dodgson, since you were there over a decade ago, and have some geographical knowledge of the region, you right that your knowledge isn't quite current. However, I am sure you will catch on quickly. A man with your level of experience and knowledge of the local lingo should help out massively."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Granville nodded his acquiescense as his orders were read out. Captain Strachen seemed a reasonable sort and he was sure that he'd have an opportunity to put his engineering skills to the test once they reached Oudh.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Mr. Secretary," says Julia. "I hope my medical skills are not needed."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
markh
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by markh »

Lammomedes wrote:Talbot looks up at Wakeham. "Ensign Wakeham? Since you are already familiar with the Oudh to some extent, you should prove to be an excellent guide. While Fyzabad is not exactly your home, it shouldn't prove to be to difficult to get a jist of in short order."
"Certainly, sir."
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Gaffer »

Arthur Dodgson

"Ah," begins Dodgson diffidently, raising his index finger, "I'd like it noted that I am no longer in the Army and not an employee of the Company. I'm glad to serve in any capacity required -- with suitable remuneration, of course -- but I'm not subject to military orders or discipline."

He smiles at Strachan, "I look forward to working with you, Captain."
OOC,Arthur's pay can be hand-waved as equivalent to an EIC clerk's. He's not looking for much money and I don't want to play a negotiation mini-game. ;)
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

"Likewise Mr Dodgson and duly noted." Strachan clears his throat. "Sir Richard, Mr Martin I hope you wont think me flippant or that I am taking this wonderful opportunity lightly, but with only a day before we depart and then an indefinite period before we get the opportunity to travel in polite society again. Would you excuse me so I may make the most of what is left of tonight's soiree?"
OOC:,Assuming he is given permission, Strachan will return to the Ball. He will make arrangements to see the widow tomorrow for a walk down the Esplanade followed by high tea somewhere. After which he will leave the ball and return to his hotel.
Last edited by ghill on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Seon »

"Well, I think this will be interesting," Lovell said. "What must I do, Mr. Talbot? I am just an old man after all."

Return to “The End of John Company”