IC Day One, 1 January 1857

Calcutta and the Oudh, 1857: The days of the British East India Company's rule over South Asia are coming to an end. But it is the start of a a new year, and the troubles that are about to spring forth are only vague rumors and distant stories slowly filtering to the teeming populace of Calcutta, the administrative heart of British rule on the subcontinent. Peace, it seems, is being achieved through unification and pacification. For the young British officials employed by what is affectionately known as "John Company" it is a chance to make a fortune before one day returning to England with money in one's pocket and a substantial financial investment in India's growing commercial development. The so-called "fishing fleet" is due to arrive, while the sounds, the sights and smells of this foreign soil is nearly overwhelming. But Victorian pluck and courage allows for adjustment and what passes for acceptance to quickly appear. India is a mystery, and a welcome one, for the young East Indian Company officials or Company soldiers, or perhaps their spouses or fiancees, who are assigned as staff members to a newly appointed District Commissioner for the recently pacified region of north India the British are calling the Oudh. Destiny is calling, as is adventure and mystery. Are you willing to participate in this call to your duty as well as the lure of potential profits beyond even your wildest beliefs?

Moderator: Lammomedes

Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Re: IC Day One, 1 January 1857

Post by Lammomedes »

ghill wrote:largely finished with his business for the day, Strachan walks up the steps of his hotel and subtly drops some loose change into the doorman Rajet's hand. Mr Kunwar Singh was most helpful Rajet, thank you. Then in a quieter tone of voice. Tell me Rajet, is there anywhere near here where a man with a few hours to kill might find himself a game of cards with like minded men?
Rajet accepts the coins gratefully. "Sahib, that depends." He scratches his chin in thought. "Are you willing to gamble with Hindoos or are you wanting to wager only with other Europeans?" He picked up a small piece of paper and a lead pencil, waiting to scratch an address. "For I know of at least two places, Sahib Strachan that will be entertaining wagers at this hour. One is made of most honorable Hindoos and Musselmen, the other of a very disparate community of European sahibs. The Hindoos and Musselmen do not care about the color of your skin, only the sound of your coins, yes? The Europeans, if you don't mind me being honest, are what you might call a very dark skinned lot, very unsavory, but the wagers are much larger. However, sahib, which ever is your preference, I will provide directions to the establishment of your choice."
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

markh wrote:
Seon wrote: Lovell woke from his stupor. "Huh what? What am I doing here?" he mumbled. He found that he was back at the snake charmer.
"Almost mesmeric, isn't it?" smiles Thomas. "This Sapera is very skilled. I was saying it was an oddly quiet spot for him to choose. I wonder if he is a new arrival." Turning to the charmer he says "Aap kahaan sey hain? Where are you from?"
The charmer stops for a moment, and he looks at the two European gentlemen before him. He speaks in highly accented Bengali "I am from high in Bengal highlands, near the border with Nepal." He goes back to playing the flute as the snakes briefly turned to look at the two Europeans. But in a moment, the snakes are back to swaying to the music.
GM Note,If either of you speak Hindi or Bengali, make a roll now to understand what he said.
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Gaffer wrote:
Arthur Dodgson,rolled 29 using 1d100. Psychology 05.
"On yer way, you toffy-nosed blowhard," Dodger growls standing up and shoving his chair away, "You'd never meet me over swords or pistols, but I'll pull yer nose for you if you don't take yourself off at the quickstep!"
The man looks affronted...but he is standing his ground for the moment.
markh
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by markh »

Lammomedes wrote: The charmer stops for a moment, and he looks at the two European gentlemen before him. He speaks in highly accented Bengali "I am from high in Bengal highlands, near the border with Nepal." He goes back to playing the flute as the snakes briefly turned to look at the two Europeans. But in a moment, the snakes are back to swaying to the music.
GM Note,If either of you speak Hindi or Bengali, make a roll now to understand what he said.
Result,Hindi skill 60%,roll 37. Provided this is sufficient, I make a polite acknowledgement.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Gaffer »

Dodger grins insolently at the man. "Why not finish your business, Ensign? We'll want to get out of the noonday sun."
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Granville nodded curtly to Dodger and returned to the shop. Not naturally a brawler, he was still seething inside and would have quite happily punched the man on the nose! "I must apologise for that man," he said to Priya, "His behaviour really was unacceptable."
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

markh wrote: The charmer stops for a moment, and he looks at the two European gentlemen before him. He speaks in highly accented Bengali "I am from high in Bengal highlands, near the border with Nepal." He goes back to playing the flute as the snakes briefly turned to look at the two Europeans. But in a moment, the snakes are back to swaying to the music.
The man simply nods back, then places the snakes back into the basket, carefully closing the lid. In accented English, he says: "You have Hindustan come? Why?"
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Gaffer wrote:Dodger grins insolently at the man. "Why not finish your business, Ensign? We'll want to get out of the noonday sun."
The Englishman huffs and walks off. "You have not heard the last of this. Mark my words, sirrahs, you have not seen the last of Reginald Darby."
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Philulhu wrote:Granville nodded curtly to Dodger and returned to the shop. Not naturally a brawler, he was still seething inside and would have quite happily punched the man on the nose! "I must apologise for that man," he said to Priya, "His behaviour really was unacceptable."
Priya blushes. "There is no worries Sahib. You are very pukka gentleman. Other men often violates Bengali girl honor. You and friend not so much, you good English."
She then and goes to sit with Dodger in the shade.

Inside the shop, a man in traditional Indian garb looks up from a large ledger. "Quite warm weather for this time of the year, by Jove. How can I help you today?" It takes you a moment, but realize that he is not actually Indian despite his deep tan coloring and his native garb. He pushes his round spectacles back up the bridge of his nose.
markh
Initiate
Initiate

Post by markh »

Lammomedes wrote: The man simply nods back, then places the snakes back into the basket, carefully closing the lid. In accented English, he says: "You have Hindustan come? Why?"
On the verge of turning to go, the question leaves Thomas bemused for a moment. Why indeed? An uncle had suggested it, saying a young man could make his way in the world there, and with a clutch of brothers cluttering up the family, his father's limited influence wouldn't have gone very far in England.
"Why, " Thomas replied lightly, "I followed the flag here as a young man, but now Hindustan is my home."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Lammomedes wrote:Rajet accepts the coins gratefully. "Sahib, that depends." He scratches his chin in thought. "Are you willing to gamble with Hindoos or are you wanting to wager only with other Europeans?" He picked up a small piece of paper and a lead pencil, waiting to scratch an address. "For I know of at least two places, Sahib Strachan that will be entertaining wagers at this hour. One is made of most honorable Hindoos and Musselmen, the other of a very disparate community of European sahibs. The Hindoos and Musselmen do not care about the color of your skin, only the sound of your coins, yes? The Europeans, if you don't mind me being honest, are what you might call a very dark skinned lot, very unsavory, but the wagers are much larger. However, sahib, which ever is your preference, I will provide directions to the establishment of your choice."
Strachan smiles at Rajet's comments. "One man's coins are as good as the next man's Rajet, all I'm looking for is an honest game. If a man runs an honest game then I can't say much care what colour of skin he has."
OOC: Keeper,Strachan will take Rajet's directions and go looking for the game.
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

markh wrote:
Lammomedes wrote: The man simply nods back, then places the snakes back into the basket, carefully closing the lid. In accented English, he says: "You have Hindustan come? Why?"
On the verge of turning to go, the question leaves Thomas bemused for a moment. Why indeed? An uncle had suggested it, saying a young man could make his way in the world there, and with a clutch of brothers cluttering up the family, his father's limited influence wouldn't have gone very far in England.
"Why, " Thomas replied lightly, "I followed the flag here as a young man, but now Hindustan is my home."
The snake charmer nods at the answer. He smiles showing gaps of missing teeth. "Beneath such flag all Angrezi will die, in time, but time soon."
He looks at the other Englishman. "And you, why come Hindustan?"
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

ghill wrote:
Lammomedes wrote:Rajet accepts the coins gratefully. "Sahib, that depends." He scratches his chin in thought. "Are you willing to gamble with Hindoos or are you wanting to wager only with other Europeans?" He picked up a small piece of paper and a lead pencil, waiting to scratch an address. "For I know of at least two places, Sahib Strachan that will be entertaining wagers at this hour. One is made of most honorable Hindoos and Musselmen, the other of a very disparate community of European sahibs. The Hindoos and Musselmen do not care about the color of your skin, only the sound of your coins, yes? The Europeans, if you don't mind me being honest, are what you might call a very dark skinned lot, very unsavory, but the wagers are much larger. However, sahib, which ever is your preference, I will provide directions to the establishment of your choice."
Strachan smiles at Rajet's comments. "One man's coins are as good as the next man's Rajet, all I'm looking for is an honest game. If a man runs an honest game then I can't say much care what colour of skin he has."
Rajet scribbles out the address and some brief directions to the Indian players and their card game.
The building is located about a 15 minute walk to the north, in the primarily Hindu section of the city. As Strachan approaches the building, he notices in a shady courtyard at the center of the building, about 10 native men are gathered playing cards. They vary in age from their early 20s to old men more than 60 years of age. A large number of coins are piled on the table. They look up briefly at his approach, then go back to playing the current hand as fast and furious bidding is going on, with coins tossed to the central pile. Even a brief counting shows that several pounds sterling worth of native gold and silver currency is piled up in the the pot.

Leaning against a tiled pillar is a man who places a hand on the butt of an old fashioned single shot percussion pistol tucked into a sash. He turns to face Strachan who notices that the Indian man also has a large knife stuffed in the goldenrod colored sash wrapped around his waist. He smiles and speaks in heavily accented English. "Private game. Unless you have invite, yes?"
markh
Initiate
Initiate

Post by markh »

Lammomedes wrote:The snake charmer nods at the answer. He smiles showing gaps of missing teeth. "Beneath such flag all Angrezi will die, in time, but time soon."
Thomas stiffens, affronted. He half turns to Lovell, to see his reaction.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Lammomedes wrote:
Philulhu wrote:Granville nodded curtly to Dodger and returned to the shop. Not naturally a brawler, he was still seething inside and would have quite happily punched the man on the nose! "I must apologise for that man," he said to Priya, "His behaviour really was unacceptable."
Priya blushes. "There is no worries Sahib. You are very pukka gentleman. Other men often violates Bengali girl honor. You and friend not so much, you good English."
She then and goes to sit with Dodger in the shade.

Inside the shop, a man in traditional Indian garb looks up from a large ledger. "Quite warm weather for this time of the year, by Jove. How can I help you today?" It takes you a moment, but realize that he is not actually Indian despite his deep tan coloring and his native garb. He pushes his round spectacles back up the bridge of his nose.
"Yes, very warm," replies Granville. "Actually, I only arrived yesterday so I must take your word about the weather." He smiled.

"I'm attending a ball today and I require a new shirt. I was told you may be able to oblige me?"
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Lammomedes wrote:Leaning against a tiled pillar is a man who places a hand on the butt of an old fashioned single shot percussion pistol tucked into a sash. He turns to face Strachan who notices that the Indian man also has a large knife stuffed in the goldenrod colored sash wrapped around his waist. He smiles and speaks in heavily accented English. "Private game. Unless you have invite, yes?"
My good friend Rajet at the Empire Hotel sent me, he said a man could find an honest game of cards here. Naturally, I understand if its a private game I'll simply take my money elsewhere. Although, if your not looking for fresh money, then perhaps you'd let me watch?

While Strachan talks he keeps glancing over at the game, he can't be sure what they are playing but a friend of his told him the Indian game of Teen Pathi was almost identical to three card brag at which he is an old hand.
markh
Initiate
Initiate

Post by markh »

markh wrote:
Lammomedes wrote:The snake charmer nods at the answer. He smiles showing gaps of missing teeth. "Beneath such flag all Angrezi will die, in time, but time soon."
Thomas stiffens, affronted. He half turns to Lovell, to see his reaction.
"Well, I'm not of a mind to stand here all day," Thomas says, in an affronted tone. "I'm away for Harcourts. Walk along with me, if you choose."
OOC,Seon, feel free to interject some conversation/action in before that if you need
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Lovell smiled. "Well," he said. "I just came here to make some money, to be honest. Speaking of money, I like you, old man. You are brave. You speak what's on your mind, what you think, without hesitation, don't you?" he tipped a few more coins into the basket.

"Well, I must now indulge my companion here and leave. Nice meeting you, gentleman."
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Gaffer »

Arthur Dodson

When Michaels is ready, Dodson follows Priya's guidance back to the dress shop to collect Miss Kaye.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

ghill wrote:
Lammomedes wrote:Leaning against a tiled pillar is a man who places a hand on the butt of an old fashioned single shot percussion pistol tucked into a sash. He turns to face Strachan who notices that the Indian man also has a large knife stuffed in the goldenrod colored sash wrapped around his waist. He smiles and speaks in heavily accented English. "Private game. Unless you have invite, yes?"
My good friend Rajet at the Empire Hotel sent me, he said a man could find an honest game of cards here. Naturally, I understand if its a private game I'll simply take my money elsewhere. Although, if your not looking for fresh money, then perhaps you'd let me watch?

While Strachan talks he keeps glancing over at the game, he can't be sure what they are playing but a friend of his told him the Indian game of Teen Pathi was almost identical to three card brag at which he is an old hand.
While the initial first few hands of the card came doesn't go quite so well, the players around the table are more than willing to see hard earned cash on the tabletop. However, soon lady luck seems to favor Strachan, and by the time the game breaks up a couple hours later, Strachan has won about 100 rupees. While he never got any names of his fellow players, he did learn that two were merchants, one was a tailor, and two others were local, well underworld fixers, was the best you could use to describe their jobs. Strachan was invited to come back if he wanted to, and he was right in his original assumption, it was Teen Pathi they have been playing.

Return to “The End of John Company”