IC Day One, 1 January 1857

Calcutta and the Oudh, 1857: The days of the British East India Company's rule over South Asia are coming to an end. But it is the start of a a new year, and the troubles that are about to spring forth are only vague rumors and distant stories slowly filtering to the teeming populace of Calcutta, the administrative heart of British rule on the subcontinent. Peace, it seems, is being achieved through unification and pacification. For the young British officials employed by what is affectionately known as "John Company" it is a chance to make a fortune before one day returning to England with money in one's pocket and a substantial financial investment in India's growing commercial development. The so-called "fishing fleet" is due to arrive, while the sounds, the sights and smells of this foreign soil is nearly overwhelming. But Victorian pluck and courage allows for adjustment and what passes for acceptance to quickly appear. India is a mystery, and a welcome one, for the young East Indian Company officials or Company soldiers, or perhaps their spouses or fiancees, who are assigned as staff members to a newly appointed District Commissioner for the recently pacified region of north India the British are calling the Oudh. Destiny is calling, as is adventure and mystery. Are you willing to participate in this call to your duty as well as the lure of potential profits beyond even your wildest beliefs?

Moderator: Lammomedes

markh
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Re: IC Day One, 1 January 1857

Post by markh »

Seon wrote:"Thomas, was it?" Lovell said as he noticed the man drift by. "We meet again. I hope that you have not found any snakes under your pillows since the time we last met?"
"Ah, no" said Thomas with a laugh. "Although I couldn't help giving my boots a shake before I put them on. I'm mostly just trying to avoid dancing. Have you tried this Tarkaaree? It's very good."
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

"No, I have not tried it yet, but I do understand where you are coming from when you say that you do not wish to dance," he waved his glass in the air.

"Women. They just bring trouble wherever they go. Besides, dancing is one skill that I have never learned to master."
markh
Initiate
Initiate

Post by markh »

Seon wrote:"No, I have not tried it yet, but I do understand where you are coming from when you say that you do not wish to dance," he waved his glass in the air.

"Women. They just bring trouble wherever they go. Besides, dancing is one skill that I have never learned to master."
"Well, they're not all trouble. But I could never dance well at the best of times, and I've not had a lot of opportunities to get any better." Thomas pauses, and looks at Lovell appraisingly. "What skills have you mastered then? You have been in-country for some years, I collect?" He grins, showing he means nothing by the familiarity.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

"Only skill that you can master anywhere you live, I suppose: how people think," Lovell said, smiling.
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Lammomedes »

ghill wrote:Strachan took his leave from another young lady, apparently her name was Elspeth apparently her father a senior clerk or something similar, she wanted him to agree to another dance but Strachan apologised and told her his card was already full. Grabbing a glass of champagne Strachan turned towards his next dance partner, a small smile crossed his lips, she wore a discreet pearl necklace around her neck. The way the girl kept checking the necklace was still around her neck made Strachan believe it was a newish gift, perhaps one bought for the ball, discreet or not her father must be worth a few bob.

OOC: Strachan will dance with as many ladys as his dance card and time permits always behaving as a proper gentleman. Strachan is angling for invitations to further functions, but he is never so crass and rude as to ask for one directly. At ten minutes to eleven he will make his way upto the 2nd floor library.
Strachan will find a number of young ladies willing to fill up his dance card. A few are very good dancers, a few are not so good. Most are being polite, learning what they can about him while dancing. Two stick out though: one is Felicia Worthington, aged 17, whose father is a junior secretary working for the Bengal Presidency and oversees provisions for the Company's military forces. The other is older, 24 years of age, and a widow for the last two years. Her name is Constance Dower, and her husband, Leftenant Philip Dower, Esq., who died fighting Afghan tribesman. She was left a rather significant sum of money and is only now returning to the social scene after the mandatory one year mourning is over. She mentions that she has inherited some property in Lucknow, but was waiting for later in the spring to travel there and see what exactly she now owns.
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

markh wrote:Thomas took a slow turn around the hall, drifting past the crowd around the Rajah, and acquiring a small bowl of local food, which he had acquired a taste for over the past few years. Knowing it was likely to be well spiced, he picked a cup of fruit juice as well. Unable to spot anyone he recognised, he nevertheless resolved to be sociable with soldiers and officials, in the hope of finding out how the land lay for employment. While he had hopes of this upcoming meeting, it never hurt to have a few irons in the fire.
OOC,Thomas will look for anyone he knows, and failing that try to talk to "the right people". He believes his good HIndi is an advantage, and will grasp any opportunity to show it off. He will try to avoid dancing.
After meeting up with his new friend, Lovell, and the two of them chatting, they find a group of other young men standing off to one side of the ballroom. They are sharing whiskey and when Thomas and Lovell approach, pouring them both a whiskey into a fine crystal tumbler. The leader of this small gathering is Captain Morgan Llewellyn, Royal Engineers. He is talking with a number of Company men who are all being transferred to Oudh in the next few weeks to take over administration of the province. Captain Llewellyn is being assigned to the garrison at Lucknow to oversee improvements to their inadequate fortifications and to construct an ammunition bunker. The other men, all civilians, are intrigued at the prospect of making some money and improving their lots in life, and Captain Llewellyn makes it clear that he wishes more of his engineers spoke any of the local lingo, though he is a daft hand himself at Hindi.

"What brings the two of you to India? Have either of you been to anywhere in Oudh province?"
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Philulhu wrote:Taking a few moments to straighten his clothes, Granville made his way over to the punchbowl and waited patient while the Indian servant carefully ladled the drink into the glasses. Suitably refreshed, he took a turn of the room, looking out for any other junior ranks whom he might engage in conversation.
Granville will find any number of young officers, many of them engaged in dancing and enjoying the party. However, since that is not exactly what he was looking for, after about a half hour he finds a group of young subalterns gathered near a pair of French doors that led out onto a balcony. One of them motioned for him to join them, stating they were going out for a smoke and a way to cool off. A quick glance informed Granville that the half dozen young officers were all recent arrivals to India, lacking any real sign of the "Indian tan" to their faces or hands from long time out in the harsh sun. Three of the men were young, perhaps 18-20 years of age, two of the others were slightly older, in the early to mid 20s, and the oldest of the lot, the so called Old Man, was Leftenant Percival Liggett, at the ripe age of 30. A former Company district officer, Liggett bought a commission in the Bengal Presidency Army, figuring it was a chance to get out of Calcutta and see the world. He also wanted to serve with Sir Henry Montgomery Lawrence, the recently appointed Chief Commissioner of Oudh.

The rest of the officers, all graduates of Addiscombe Military Academy, were all assigned to units meant to reinforce the garrison at Lucknow, the location of the government in Oudh. The others were introduced at Ensigns McFarland, Stuart and Dewhurst, and junior Leftenants Harding and Bowen. Only Leftenant Bowen spoke any real Hindi, the others what they had learned at Addiscombe and was enough for the parade ground and not much else. Liggett, after handing out cigars, spoke for the lot of them. "So what brings you out here to India, Granville?"
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"I'd be delighted, Mr. Dodgson," says Julia with a smile, giving him her best curtsy in return. She lets Arthur lead her out to the dance floor.
After their spin around the dance floor, both Julia and Arthur will receive numerous other offers. In fact, Julia seems to be quite in demand by many of the male guests, and Arthur is not left alone for very long. After nearly an hour of dancing, both are exhausted and managed to find themselves standing very close to each other on the emptying dance floor as the band takes a well deserved break. A clock nearby chimes nearly 10 pm and a glance to the entrance way shows more guests still arriving.
markh
Initiate
Initiate

Post by markh »

Lammomedes wrote: After meeting up with his new friend, Lovell, and the two of them chatting, they find a group of other young men standing off to one side of the ballroom. They are sharing whiskey and when Thomas and Lovell approach, pouring them both a whiskey into a fine crystal tumbler. The leader of this small gathering is Captain Morgan Llewellyn, Royal Engineers. He is talking with a number of Company men who are all being transferred to Oudh in the next few weeks to take over administration of the province. Captain Llewellyn is being assigned to the garrison at Lucknow to oversee improvements to their inadequate fortifications and to construct an ammunition bunker. The other men, all civilians, are intrigued at the prospect of making some money and improving their lots in life, and Captain Llewellyn makes it clear that he wishes more of his engineers spoke any of the local lingo, though he is a daft hand himself at Hindi.

"What brings the two of you to India? Have either of you been to anywhere in Oudh province?"
Thomas swirls the brandy around the tumbler, peering at it uncertainly. At Captain Morga'n's question, he perks up. "I served in the Frontier Force in Oudh prior to annexation, don't'cha know? Chasing dacoits back over the frontier and so on. Oh, and dodging snakes," he says with a smiling aside to Lovell. "I agree with you Captain, a man needs to speak the language to command the men. Ek bhāshā kabhī bhī kāphī nahī hotī, as they say."
OOC,One language is never enough
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Though the dancing is exhausting, Julia is young and sturdy. After a brief rest, she'll be able to dance again with any of the new arrivals who are interested. There's only another hour before their meeting, and she's confident she can last that long. "I must say I'm enjoying tonight's festivities immensely, Mr. Dodgson," she says.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Lammomedes wrote:Strachan will find a number of young ladies willing to fill up his dance card. A few are very good dancers, a few are not so good. Most are being polite, learning what they can about him while dancing. Two stick out though: one is Felicia Worthington, aged 17, whose father is a junior secretary working for the Bengal Presidency and oversees provisions for the Company's military forces. The other is older, 24 years of age, and a widow for the last two years. Her name is Constance Dower, and her husband, Leftenant Philip Dower, Esq., who died fighting Afghan tribesman. She was left a rather significant sum of money and is only now returning to the social scene after the mandatory one year mourning is over. She mentions that she has inherited some property in Lucknow, but was waiting for later in the spring to travel there and see what exactly she now owns.
Strachan's tried to keep the conversation as harmless and innocent as possible while at the same time trying to ascertain wether Constance and Felicia moved in the same social circles. Constance as a woman of independant means was just the type of woman Strachan was trying to meet, but Felicia's father was surely someone Strachan should try to get to know.

OOC: Strachan will try to develop a friendship with both of the women, without making any gross social faux pas.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Lammomedes wrote:
Philulhu wrote:Liggett, after handing out cigars, spoke for the lot of them. "So what brings you out here to India, Granville?"
"My father and his father before him, Sir," replied Granville. "Both took the shilling and served abroad. As a young lad it was all I heard about and I decided to see a bit of the world for myself. I'm an engineer and I've heard good things about the work they do in India, so here I am."
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

markh wrote:
Lammomedes wrote: After meeting up with his new friend, Lovell, and the two of them chatting, they find a group of other young men standing off to one side of the ballroom. They are sharing whiskey and when Thomas and Lovell approach, pouring them both a whiskey into a fine crystal tumbler. The leader of this small gathering is Captain Morgan Llewellyn, Royal Engineers. He is talking with a number of Company men who are all being transferred to Oudh in the next few weeks to take over administration of the province. Captain Llewellyn is being assigned to the garrison at Lucknow to oversee improvements to their inadequate fortifications and to construct an ammunition bunker. The other men, all civilians, are intrigued at the prospect of making some money and improving their lots in life, and Captain Llewellyn makes it clear that he wishes more of his engineers spoke any of the local lingo, though he is a daft hand himself at Hindi.

Thomas swirls the brandy around the tumbler, peering at it uncertainly. At Captain Morga'n's question, he perks up. "I served in the Frontier Force in Oudh prior to annexation, don't'cha know? Chasing dacoits back over the frontier and so on. Oh, and dodging snakes," he says with a smiling aside to Lovell. "I agree with you Captain, a man needs to speak the language to command the men. Ek bhāshā kabhī bhī kāphī nahī hotī, as they say."
OOC,One language is never enough
Lovell smiled and spoke in a slightly guarded tone. "I have never been to the Oudh Province, although I am quite interested in what I may find there. Tell me, both of you, how is that province?"
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

ghill wrote:
Lammomedes wrote:Strachan will find a number of young ladies willing to fill up his dance card. A few are very good dancers, a few are not so good. Most are being polite, learning what they can about him while dancing. Two stick out though: one is Felicia Worthington, aged 17, whose father is a junior secretary working for the Bengal Presidency and oversees provisions for the Company's military forces. The other is older, 24 years of age, and a widow for the last two years. Her name is Constance Dower, and her husband, Leftenant Philip Dower, Esq., who died fighting Afghan tribesman. She was left a rather significant sum of money and is only now returning to the social scene after the mandatory one year mourning is over. She mentions that she has inherited some property in Lucknow, but was waiting for later in the spring to travel there and see what exactly she now owns.
Strachan's tried to keep the conversation as harmless and innocent as possible while at the same time trying to ascertain wether Constance and Felicia moved in the same social circles. Constance as a woman of independant means was just the type of woman Strachan was trying to meet, but Felicia's father was surely someone Strachan should try to get to know.

OOC: Strachan will try to develop a friendship with both of the women, without making any gross social faux pas.
While Felicia is most appreciative of the attention, she is constantly being pulled away by other young gallants who don't seem to mind cutting in on Strachan's moments with the young lady. However, after a few dances, he will find Mrs. Dower waiting for another dance. If Strachan approaches, she will gladly accept. "What brings you to India, good sir? I know many young men like yourself believe their fortunes can be made here, and it is true, my Philip did manage to make a goodly sum of money. But the culture and customs, especially of the Hindoos and the Musselmen are so different. Not queer, mind you, just different."
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

markh wrote:

Captain Llewellyn nods. "The Foo's a-hem. I heard some good work was done by the lads, old boy, before we had to move in and take over. And the bloody dacoits, fiends, so I have heard. Murderers, pillagers and rapists the lot of them. Should hang them all...but sometimes I worry about some of the rumors I have 'eard about them. Worshipping some dark goddess of theirs and performing all sorts of deuced demonic rituals. Any truth to those guttermongerings?" Everyone seems to be waiting for an answer.
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Philulhu wrote:
Lammomedes wrote:
Philulhu wrote:Liggett, after handing out cigars, spoke for the lot of them. "So what brings you out here to India, Granville?"
"My father and his father before him, Sir," replied Granville. "Both took the shilling and served abroad. As a young lad it was all I heard about and I decided to see a bit of the world for myself. I'm an engineer and I've heard good things about the work they do in India, so here I am."
Liggett nods as do the other young officers. "Good thing tradition continues, and that our fathers and their fathers before them had the good sense to make sure we all did our duties for Queen and Country." He raised his glass. "To her Majesty, our beloved Queen Victoria, may she rule over Britannia for a good long time. Oh, and may John Bull continue to kick Russian bears for a while."

Liggett and the others were drinking, when Bowen snapped his fingers. "I say, Granville, have you met Captain Morgan Llewellyn? He is all cock a leekie Welsh, mind you, but a damned fine Royal Engineer. I heard from one of my friends that he was headed to Lucknow on some sort of building project. Seems that he is in charge of some sort of building projects in the Oudh. I thought I saw him earlier talking with some Company men." He glances about but the crowd is quite thick. "Should be too hard to find..." and he goes on to describe the officer.
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Seon wrote:
markh wrote:

Lovell smiled and spoke in a slightly guarded tone. "I have never been to the Oudh Province, although I am quite interested in what I may find there. Tell me, both of you, how is that province?"
After Thomas has his say, Llewellyn nods his head. "These chaps are all quite cherry when it comes to heading to the Oudh. Your friend here seems to know a good bit more about the province than I do, having been there first hand. I know that the Company and the Army are moving into Lucknow to establish a formal presence and to relieve the troops who have been stationed there since we took over the province months ago. Some of the local troops..what do the Frenchies say, come say come sah, but with some of the young Addiscombe graduates I saw earlier, they will whip them into shape I dare say." He took a sip of his drink. "I believe, unless you are headed out to the frontier region, things should be fair dinkum easy. Otherwise, lad, you could be in for a spell of unhappy Hindoos not so say happy Thomas Atkins is there to take charge."
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

Though the dancing is exhausting, Julia is young and sturdy. After a brief rest, she'll be able to dance again with any of the new arrivals who are interested. There's only another hour before their meeting, and she's confident she can last that long. "I must say I'm enjoying tonight's festivities immensely, Mr. Dodgson," she says.
OOC,Since Gaffer has gone walkabout, I'll keep you occupied for the moment.
Julia finds that her dance card fills up fairly quickly and she has a number of young men who will wait until after her engagement. She saw Dodgson dancing with a few others, but then excusing himself to get some fresh air. Dodgson was about to nod yes, when a young officer in full dress of the regular British Army edges him out the way. He is ruggedly handsome, deeply tanned, with dark blonde hair and quite icy blue eyes. There is a heavy scent of a very intensely masculine cologne about him. A smile crinkles Dodgson's lips, as he backs away. The soldier smile pleasantly. "Miss, my name is Arthur Waterson, and it would be my privilege to dance with you." He glances over his shoulder and smirks at Dodgson. "If you don't mind old man?" Julia will quickly learn, either to her horror or pleasure, that Lieutenant Arthur Waterson is a recent arrival from Singapore, having been transferred to Calcutta as a military liaison for a bunch of civilians he is to escort to the upcountry of the Oudh province. "Don't know much about them, though one or two are supposed to have some knowledge about the Oudh. I was brought back because I am jolly good with the local language having been born here. Dad was a professional soldier and officer with the army, and mom, well she was born here as well." Julia gets the feeling that something about his mother is...off. "So I speak several of the local Hindu dialects quite well and it seems that some of those I am supposed to escort to their new station don't speak a lick of the language. Not one word.It's going to be jolly good fun." He shook his head. "So what brings an attractive young lady like yourself out here to India?"
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Lammomedes wrote: While Felicia is most appreciative of the attention, she is constantly being pulled away by other young gallants who don't seem to mind cutting in on Strachan's moments with the young lady. However, after a few dances, he will find Mrs. Dower waiting for another dance. If Strachan approaches, she will gladly accept. "What brings you to India, good sir? I know many young men like yourself believe their fortunes can be made here, and it is true, my Philip did manage to make a goodly sum of money. But the culture and customs, especially of the Hindoos and the Musselmen are so different. Not queer, mind you, just different."
"I'm of a mind that a man can make his fortune wherever he has a mind to madam. But I do beieve that a man should travel and see the world before he is to old to enjoy it and India is as you say different."

Strachan continues in this vein trying unsuccessfully to persuade the Widow Dower that he might be a suitable suitor.
markh
Initiate
Initiate

Post by markh »

Lammomedes wrote: After Thomas has his say, Llewellyn nods his head. "These chaps are all quite cherry when it comes to heading to the Oudh. Your friend here seems to know a good bit more about the province than I do, having been there first hand. I know that the Company and the Army are moving into Lucknow to establish a formal presence and to relieve the troops who have been stationed there since we took over the province months ago. Some of the local troops..what do the Frenchies say, come say come sah, but with some of the young Addiscombe graduates I saw earlier, they will whip them into shape I dare say." He took a sip of his drink. "I believe, unless you are headed out to the frontier region, things should be fair dinkum easy. Otherwise, lad, you could be in for a spell of unhappy Hindoos not so say happy Thomas Atkins is there to take charge."
"Aye, we are moving into the province, that once was a proud and powerful kingdom. The Nawabs and princes may be accustomed to being conquered, with Mughals and Maratha's having ranged across the land over the years, but some of the people are not happy. Lovell and I encountered one such man today, a snake charmer of all people, who told us we would be driven out! I was not impressed, I can say, but you can't deny the feeling is there."

Return to “The End of John Company”