IC Day One, 1 January 1857

Calcutta and the Oudh, 1857: The days of the British East India Company's rule over South Asia are coming to an end. But it is the start of a a new year, and the troubles that are about to spring forth are only vague rumors and distant stories slowly filtering to the teeming populace of Calcutta, the administrative heart of British rule on the subcontinent. Peace, it seems, is being achieved through unification and pacification. For the young British officials employed by what is affectionately known as "John Company" it is a chance to make a fortune before one day returning to England with money in one's pocket and a substantial financial investment in India's growing commercial development. The so-called "fishing fleet" is due to arrive, while the sounds, the sights and smells of this foreign soil is nearly overwhelming. But Victorian pluck and courage allows for adjustment and what passes for acceptance to quickly appear. India is a mystery, and a welcome one, for the young East Indian Company officials or Company soldiers, or perhaps their spouses or fiancees, who are assigned as staff members to a newly appointed District Commissioner for the recently pacified region of north India the British are calling the Oudh. Destiny is calling, as is adventure and mystery. Are you willing to participate in this call to your duty as well as the lure of potential profits beyond even your wildest beliefs?

Moderator: Lammomedes

Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: IC Day One, 1 January 1857

Post by Gaffer »

Arthur Dodgson

Dodgson sips punch (no spirits in it to keep his head clear) in the faint breeze from the verandah, catching sight of Julia from time to time. He is happy to leave her entertainment to the younger set for now, but is ready to step in and rescue her, should she seem distressed. At any rate, their appointment is not long off.

Then he spots a man he thinks he recognizes. Could that be Llewellyn, his old officer? He makes his way about the periphery toward the man.
Last edited by Gaffer on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Waterson," says Julia. "I am Julia Kaye, and I have come to India to be a missionary. I started studying the Hindi language since I decided to come, and I can speak it passably, though I'm learning more all the time. The best way to learn a language is to surround yourself with it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Lammomedes wrote:Liggett and the others were drinking, when Bowen snapped his fingers. "I say, Granville, have you met Captain Morgan Llewellyn? He is all cock a leekie Welsh, mind you, but a damned fine Royal Engineer. I heard from one of my friends that he was headed to Lucknow on some sort of building project. Seems that he is in charge of some sort of building projects in the Oudh. I thought I saw him earlier talking with some Company men." He glances about but the crowd is quite thick. "Should be too hard to find..." and he goes on to describe the officer.
"I've not had the pleasure, sir," replied Granville, "But I'll take a look around and see if I can make his acquaintance." He nodded to his fellow officers and excused himself.

A brisk circuit around the room and Granville spotted a man matching the description given by Bowen. He approached the man and said, "Captain Llewellyn, sir? I am Ensign Granville Michaels of the Royal Engineers, recently arrived in India."
Seon
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Seon »

markh wrote:
Lammomedes wrote: After Thomas has his say, Llewellyn nods his head. "These chaps are all quite cherry when it comes to heading to the Oudh. Your friend here seems to know a good bit more about the province than I do, having been there first hand. I know that the Company and the Army are moving into Lucknow to establish a formal presence and to relieve the troops who have been stationed there since we took over the province months ago. Some of the local troops..what do the Frenchies say, come say come sah, but with some of the young Addiscombe graduates I saw earlier, they will whip them into shape I dare say." He took a sip of his drink. "I believe, unless you are headed out to the frontier region, things should be fair dinkum easy. Otherwise, lad, you could be in for a spell of unhappy Hindoos not so say happy Thomas Atkins is there to take charge."
"Aye, we are moving into the province, that once was a proud and powerful kingdom. The Nawabs and princes may be accustomed to being conquered, with Mughals and Maratha's having ranged across the land over the years, but some of the people are not happy. Lovell and I encountered one such man today, a snake charmer of all people, who told us we would be driven out! I was not impressed, I can say, but you can't deny the feeling is there."
"Of course," Lovell said. "I do very much prefer man who tell you that he is planning revenge against you then the ones who keep it in their head. The former you can do your best to avoid. The latter are like snakes in tall grass."
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Lammomedes »

ghill wrote:
Lammomedes wrote: While Felicia is most appreciative of the attention, she is constantly being pulled away by other young gallants who don't seem to mind cutting in on Strachan's moments with the young lady. However, after a few dances, he will find Mrs. Dower waiting for another dance. If Strachan approaches, she will gladly accept. "What brings you to India, good sir? I know many young men like yourself believe their fortunes can be made here, and it is true, my Philip did manage to make a goodly sum of money. But the culture and customs, especially of the Hindoos and the Musselmen are so different. Not queer, mind you, just different."
"I'm of a mind that a man can make his fortune wherever he has a mind to madam. But I do beieve that a man should travel and see the world before he is to old to enjoy it and India is as you say different."

Strachan continues in this vein trying unsuccessfully to persuade the Widow Dower that he might be a suitable suitor.
She looks about and then opens a small carte d'visite case and hands Strachan a small cream colored card or piece of pasteboard. "While it would be unseemly for you to call on me without prior notice, I am sure that should you have time I would enjoy a stroll on the esplanade to discuss your plans for the future. Perhaps we might have a similar direction of travel?"

Strachan will eventually realize it is getting close to 11 pm.
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

markh wrote:
Lammomedes wrote: After Thomas has his say, Llewellyn nods his head. "These chaps are all quite cherry when it comes to heading to the Oudh. Your friend here seems to know a good bit more about the province than I do, having been there first hand. I know that the Company and the Army are moving into Lucknow to establish a formal presence and to relieve the troops who have been stationed there since we took over the province months ago. Some of the local troops..what do the Frenchies say, come say come sah, but with some of the young Addiscombe graduates I saw earlier, they will whip them into shape I dare say." He took a sip of his drink. "I believe, unless you are headed out to the frontier region, things should be fair dinkum easy. Otherwise, lad, you could be in for a spell of unhappy Hindoos not so say happy Thomas Atkins is there to take charge."
"Aye, we are moving into the province, that once was a proud and powerful kingdom. The Nawabs and princes may be accustomed to being conquered, with Mughals and Maratha's having ranged across the land over the years, but some of the people are not happy. Lovell and I encountered one such man today, a snake charmer of all people, who told us we would be driven out! I was not impressed, I can say, but you can't deny the feeling is there."
Llewellyn nods his head. "Snake charmers and other sort of Hindoo fakirs, they all need to be thrown into the local jails or be driven out of town. Still such a ruffian should have been given a right good thumping for speaking out like that. But then, who knows what they can do with those poisonous pythons, what?"
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Gaffer wrote:Arthur Dodson

Dodson sips punch (no spirits in it to keep his head clear) in the faint breeze from the verandah, catching sight of Julia from time to time. He is happy to leave her entertainment to the younger set for now, but is ready to step in and rescue her, should she seem distressed. At any rate, their appointment is not long off.

Then he spots a man he thinks he recognizes. Could that be Llewellyn, his old officer? He makes his way about the periphery toward the man.
Dodson does indeed realize that it is Captain Llewellyn, and he is surrounded by a group of young officers. As he approaches, Llewellyn looks up, something about snake charmers being shown the stick or something. "What ho, do my eyes deceive? Dodson in the flesh and blood and here in the middle of India. Gentlemen, and for some of you that term is used most lightly, this is Arthur Dodson, one of the finest men and most brilliant sappers to have ever served in Her Majesty's forces. He took a wound in the recent troubles with the Russians, and you are looking on a man who the 'Lady with the Lamp' took a special personal interest in. He is, without a doubt, a true soldier's soldier and someone I have enjoyed having had the privilege to command." He makes a series of introductions. "What brings you to Calcutta and the far reaches of the Empire?"
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Waterson," says Julia. "I am Julia Kaye, and I have come to India to be a missionary. I started studying the Hindi language since I decided to come, and I can speak it passably, though I'm learning more all the time. The best way to learn a language is to surround yourself with it."
Waterson nods and smiles. "A missionary, I say, a frightfully dangerous position for some. If I wouldn't be considered rude, can I ask what church you represent? Or are you one of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel types? Or more of the London Missionary Society type? I have even heard of a Mormon or two...still not exactly sure who or what they believe in...recently arrived in Calcutta."

"As for Hindi, it is dreadfully useful with the locals. Many of them don't speak a single lick of our language, but a few don't even speak proper Hindi but some sort of tribal language. Generally though you can find some wallah somewhere who can translate for you. Do you know where your are headed in your work?"
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Philulhu wrote:
Lammomedes wrote:Liggett and the others were drinking, when Bowen snapped his fingers. "I say, Granville, have you met Captain Morgan Llewellyn? He is all cock a leekie Welsh, mind you, but a damned fine Royal Engineer. I heard from one of my friends that he was headed to Lucknow on some sort of building project. Seems that he is in charge of some sort of building projects in the Oudh. I thought I saw him earlier talking with some Company men." He glances about but the crowd is quite thick. "Should be too hard to find..." and he goes on to describe the officer.
"I've not had the pleasure, sir," replied Granville, "But I'll take a look around and see if I can make his acquaintance." He nodded to his fellow officers and excused himself.

A brisk circuit around the room and Granville spotted a man matching the description given by Bowen. He approached the man and said, "Captain Llewellyn, sir? I am Ensign Granville Michaels of the Royal Engineers, recently arrived in India."
Llewellyn looks up and smiles. "My word, I seem to be all the center of attention. Gentlemen, another young officer, and a Royal Engineer too. I say, Michaels was it, are you assigned to any garrison in particular? Because if not, I will see if I can get orders cut to have you transferred to my works in Lucknow." He looks to be at the center of a circle of officers and others. "Michaels, this is Arthur Dodson, a very fine soldier as I was saying. And these other lads..."

He makes introductions of the other 8 or so people gathered around.
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Seon wrote:
markh wrote:
"Of course," Lovell said. "I do very much prefer man who tell you that he is planning revenge against you then the ones who keep it in their head. The former you can do your best to avoid. The latter are like snakes in tall grass."
Llewellyn was about to respond when he is interrupted first by the arrival of Dodson and then Michaels. Llewellyn shakes his head as introductions are made. "Mr. Lovell here stated that he very much prefers a man who tells him what is planning, including revenge, then a man who keeps his counsel to himself. A very wise comment and one you would all take to heart here, because so many of the locals, I have discovered are likely to say one thing to your European face, even your ugly face, Thompson, then do something else." One of the younger men with him blushes at being called out. "Now don't get me wrong, many of these Hindoos and Musselmen can be trusted, but there are always a few bad apples to spoil the orchard."
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Everyone realizes its getting close to 11pm by this point.
OOC,Please respond to the above posts and don't feel rushed,but I am going to move things along a bit.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, I'm with the Church of England," says Julia. "I'm from Portsmouth, and my father is a minister there. I'm aware of the danger, but there are plenty of brave young lads who will protect me. I don't yet know where I will be sent, but I have a feeling I'm about to find out. I have a meeting at 11:00 with Secretary Talbot. In fact, it's almost time for that now. If you'll excuse me, Mr. Waterson? Perhaps I'll see you again afterwards."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Lammomedes wrote:She looks about and then opens a small carte d'visite case and hands Strachan a small cream colored card or piece of pasteboard. "While it would be unseemly for you to call on me without prior notice, I am sure that should you have time I would enjoy a stroll on the esplanade to discuss your plans for the future. Perhaps we might have a similar direction of travel?"
"It would be a pleasure madam, an absolute pleasure. Now I must ask your indulgence but I'm afraid I have been called to a meeting with Secretary Talbot which is due to start at 11, so must ask you to excuse me."

Making his goodbyes and promising to see the Widow at the first opportunity, Strachan starts to push his way through the crowd largely indifferent to the complaints and squawks that arise from his passage. Quickly glancing at his fob watch Strachan curses under his breath, he'd hoped to be early to the meeting so he could observe anyone else who arrived. As he charged up the stairs dodging guests and servants now he wondered wether he would actually be on time for the meeting at all, hardly a god start.
markh
Initiate
Initiate

Post by markh »

Lammomedes wrote: Llewellyn nods his head. "Snake charmers and other sort of Hindoo fakirs, they all need to be thrown into the local jails or be driven out of town. Still such a ruffian should have been given a right good thumping for speaking out like that. But then, who knows what they can do with those poisonous pythons, what?"
Thomas resists the urge to point out that pythons are not poisonous, and murmurs something non-committal. The arrival of some more people saves him from answering, and he joins in the introductions. Soon, looking arond the group, his eye falls upon a ornamental gilt clock on the wall. "Goodness, that time already? Gentlemen, I have an appointment at 11, and dare not be late. Good evening to you all."
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Gaffer »

Arthur Dodgson

Dodgson acknowledges Michaels and spends a pleasant half-hour or so renewing acquaintance with Llewellyn and meeting the other fellows about him. It's strange that he no longer owes deference and obedience to his old lieutenant, making Arthur behave in a rather reticent manner. Catching sight of an ormolu clock, he excuses himself, pleading a previous appointment.

He looks about and spies Julia Kaye in the crowd and makes his way to her side, offering his arm. He is as delicate as he can be shouldering through the press to the hallway where he inquires directions of a footman.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Granville explains that he is yet to be assigned but will speak to LLewellyn once he has been assigned and let him know where he is to be posted. As the clock round to eleven he makes his excuses and follows Dodgson across the room.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Lovell's eyes followed Thomas's to the ornamental clock. "Ah, well then," he said. "Pleasure meeting you gentlemen, but I believe that I will have to go and visit Mr. Talbott as well."

He turned to Thomas. "You as well? What a coincedence."
markh
Initiate
Initiate

Post by markh »

Seon wrote:Lovell's eyes followed Thomas's to the ornamental clock. "Ah, well then," he said. "Pleasure meeting you gentlemen, but I believe that I will have to go and visit Mr. Talbott as well."

He turned to Thomas. "You as well? What a coincedence."
Thomas seemed taken aback for a moment, then smiled. "I am intriuged. Shall we go?"

Return to “The End of John Company”