The End of John Company, India 1857

Calcutta and the Oudh, 1857: The days of the British East India Company's rule over South Asia are coming to an end. But it is the start of a a new year, and the troubles that are about to spring forth are only vague rumors and distant stories slowly filtering to the teeming populace of Calcutta, the administrative heart of British rule on the subcontinent. Peace, it seems, is being achieved through unification and pacification. For the young British officials employed by what is affectionately known as "John Company" it is a chance to make a fortune before one day returning to England with money in one's pocket and a substantial financial investment in India's growing commercial development. The so-called "fishing fleet" is due to arrive, while the sounds, the sights and smells of this foreign soil is nearly overwhelming. But Victorian pluck and courage allows for adjustment and what passes for acceptance to quickly appear. India is a mystery, and a welcome one, for the young East Indian Company officials or Company soldiers, or perhaps their spouses or fiancees, who are assigned as staff members to a newly appointed District Commissioner for the recently pacified region of north India the British are calling the Oudh. Destiny is calling, as is adventure and mystery. Are you willing to participate in this call to your duty as well as the lure of potential profits beyond even your wildest beliefs?

Moderator: Lammomedes

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: The End of John Company, India 1857

Post by Mr. Handy »

NIce! I can see Julia being engaged to Granville.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Hang on! Doesn't Granville have a say in this? Or did I mistakenly post his profile on Cthul-Harmony.com, the dating website for would-be investigators? :)
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Gaffer »

LMAO Phil. Maybe Granville is a mail-order bridegroom.

I do think making her a young widow or bereaved fiancee gives the opportunity for romance without it being imposed.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Of course it's up to Granville. It would provide an established connection between characters, but it's fine if you'd rather they weren't engaged. Julia could have lost her fiance in the Crimea in that case. I had planned for her to have a cheerful disposition, though enough time may have passed for her to recover.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Joking aside (for once!), I think Granville is probably a bit on the young side to have formed an attachment at this stage. That's not to say he wouldn't be interested in Julia once he gets to know her better.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sounds good to me. I'll modify Julia's background when I have time, probably over the next few days.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Name: Captain John Strachan
Occupation: Captain 1st Regiment of Bombay Light Cavalry (Lancers).
Education: Eton
Birthplace: Edinburgh

The dashingly handsom Captain John Strachan formerly of the 2nd Dragoons (Scotts Greys) a passably good cavalry officer, from a good family. He is in India to assume his position with the 1st Regiment of Bombay Light Cavalry (Lancers). Strachan has several weeks before he has to report to the regimental garrisson at Nasirabad and intends to use it to aquire a pair of horses, and get his uniforms properly tailored at which point he will almost surely have spent the last of his available cash.
OOC: spoilers,Strachan's weakness is gambling, unfortunately Strachan suffered a rather long streak of bad luck, which coincided with his principle debtor finding out about the affair Strachan had been having with the mans wife. As a result Strachan has been forced to sell his home, his commission in the 2nd and his seat at "the Rag". The proceeds of these sales have been enough to clear his debts and pay for a commission in the 1st Regiment of Bombay Light Cavalry (Lancers). Strachan resents having to come to India, but refuses to accept the fault is his own. He continues to gamble. Given a suitable opportunity to raise cash and stay within the law will jump at it.
STR : 13
DEX : 12
INT : 16
CON : 10
APP : 17
POW : 9
SIZ : 11
EDU : 12

SAN : 45
Idea : 80
Luck : 45
Know : 60
Magic Pts : 9
Hit Pts : 11
Damage Bonus : Nil
Skill Pts : 240
Hobby Pts : 160

Investigator skills
Occupational points: 240+50 for combat/firearm skills (Soldier); Personal points: 160

*Accounting 10 +25 =30%
*Bargain 05 +30 = 35%
Languages, (own) English: 60%
Languages, (other) French: 35%
Languages, (other) Russian: 25%
Listen 25 +15 = 40%
Navigate 10+15=25%
*Ride Horse 05+55 =60%
Sneak 10
Spot Hidden 25 +15 = 40%
Fast Talk 05 +35 = 40%
*Persuade 15 + 50 = 65%
Credit Rating 12
Art (water colours) 5+20 = 25%

*Dodge 24+15=39%
*Grapple 25 =25%
*Head Butt 10+20=30%
*Kick 25+15=35%
*Pistol 20+35=55%
*Punch 50=55%
*Sabre 25+35=60%
Shotgun 30%

Gear
Wide-brimmed plantation hat, Tropical weight suit and shirt. Two double-breasted waistcoats, frock coat, trousers, two shirts and collars; adequate undergarments and nightware, wash kit including straight razor/mug/soap/brush, tropical kit, water bottle, walking stick, shoulder bag and watercolours. Two Colt Walker Model 1847 pistols cased. 1796 Heavy Cavalry Sword cased. Purdey 12 bore single barrel shotgun cased.

ooc: I can come back and re-edit if I made any glaringly obvious errors. reedit out by 5% on edu skills added to riding.

Return to “The End of John Company”