We are up and going...

Calcutta and the Oudh, 1857: The days of the British East India Company's rule over South Asia are coming to an end. But it is the start of a a new year, and the troubles that are about to spring forth are only vague rumors and distant stories slowly filtering to the teeming populace of Calcutta, the administrative heart of British rule on the subcontinent. Peace, it seems, is being achieved through unification and pacification. For the young British officials employed by what is affectionately known as "John Company" it is a chance to make a fortune before one day returning to England with money in one's pocket and a substantial financial investment in India's growing commercial development. The so-called "fishing fleet" is due to arrive, while the sounds, the sights and smells of this foreign soil is nearly overwhelming. But Victorian pluck and courage allows for adjustment and what passes for acceptance to quickly appear. India is a mystery, and a welcome one, for the young East Indian Company officials or Company soldiers, or perhaps their spouses or fiancees, who are assigned as staff members to a newly appointed District Commissioner for the recently pacified region of north India the British are calling the Oudh. Destiny is calling, as is adventure and mystery. Are you willing to participate in this call to your duty as well as the lure of potential profits beyond even your wildest beliefs?

Moderator: Lammomedes

Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: We are up and going...

Post by Gaffer »

Dodgson was a sapper for twenty years. It would give them something in common. What was Granville's father? If he was an engineer, they could possibly have known one another.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

His father was a soldier so it's quite possible he could have served in the Royal Corps of Engineers, or otherwise knew Dodgson. If I'm right, the reason that the military colleges were popular is that men left with a commission at the end of it (albeit just an ensign) but they didn't have to buy it, which was the most common means of advancement in the British army at the time.
markh
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by markh »

On my “Gone Native” character idea: from what I’ve been reading, the “White Mughal” effect had declined significantly by the 1850s, with the Mutiny and the post-mutiny reaction killing it off. I quite like the idea of a character being a bit of a hold out in this regard though, and possibly the tensions of having a native wife. I’m therefore thinking that he’s mid 30s, has been working “in country” for most of career, and his native sympathies and ways have basically killed any chance he has of advancement.
I came across a mention of the Oudh Frontier Police being in existence prior to annexation, as a force controlled by the British Resident but paid for by the Nawab, with 900 men under some British officers. The head appears to have been a Captain Orr at the time. They apparently were to pursue fugitives fleeing into Oudh, although it sounds like they effectively acted as the Resident’s eyes and ears as well.
What would you think of a junior officer (Lieutenant?) in the Frontier Police, who’s spent most of his time commanding native troops away from civilisation, and has ended up going at least partially native? His local knowledge is considered valuable, but he has been passed over for promotion and is clearly stuck. He has been attached to the new DC for his language skills and local knowledge.

(I’m not sure how military rank and rank in the Frontier Police would work, but I’d guess he’s an equivalent military rank on long-term detachment, or something?)
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

I believe we're going in pre-Rebellion/Mutiny.
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Lammomedes »

Gaffer is right, but its only very pre-Mutiny. The Mutiny itself may or may not (I don't want to give anything away) be playing in the background of the events we are dealing with in this adventure. But I certainly did give a hint that the causes of the mutiny are simmering away and you are headed into the recently conquered province of Oudh (Awadh in the modern spelling) which was one of the most virulent areas of violence during the Mutiny itself.

So Mark, your character concept is still sound as a "white Mughal" or an official who has gone native. Having the idea of playing part of the OFF is fine. Perhaps a young subaltern, probably an ensign (since I believed they were using British military ranks at the time) would work well. Promotion was occasionally slow in the British Army, and since this is pre-Cardwell reforms, commissions are still bought and sold in the regular army.

Gaffer and Phil, please keep up the back and forth character background building!
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

I'll go for the Royal Corps of Engineers for Granville. If they are heading into Oudh, chances are that they would have taken engineers to to help get things set up. An officer who's not a infantryman may also offer a different perspective on things.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

I presume that young Granville missed the fun in the Crimea.

Dodgson may be a civilian assistant to the Engineer detachment.
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Sorry for the apparent silence this week. Been busy at work and school.

I'll have character generation materials posted up by Monday afternoon, EST. However, if you want to get a headstart and have access to the Cthulhu by Gaslight rules, go ahead and use those. Look at Mr. Handy's character in the other list as an example.
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

I'll have the first post up tomorrow morning, EST.
The game will start in Calcutta, before moving out to the Oudh.
It is New Year's Day, 1 January 1857.
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Okay, as you can tell, I am about a week behind schedule. Life, work and my birthday all popped up in the middle of things.
I can assure, as in the previous game, I will try to post as frequently as players need and keep things moving.

I will finish my work on the first post, and without any other problems, it will be up tomorrow mid-morning at the latest.
I know it is US Thanksgiving, but it will give you some time to think about a reply.

Hopefully everyone who has a character is ready to go?
If not, try to post any last changes before tomorrow.
If you have an OOC questions, I am going to create a new OOC posting area.

Matt
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

I hope everyone is enjoying the beginning of this little journey.
Once again I apologize for the late start, but I am now on schedule and trying to post responses at least once a day.
The ball and the meeting are the immediate events, though the journey to your first posting will largely be a red-line experience (ala Indiana Jones).
Once at the first posting, the rest of the planned adventure will unravel...

I notice that we have lost a few players, but hopefully they will check back in sooner than later and we can get them caught up.
If there is any sort of background Information or ideas, info you need, just let me know in the OOC section.

Matt
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Good morning/afternoon,

I hate to say this, but I am considering having to stop this bold experiment. I am working on writing my doctoral thesis this semester (deadlines and all that) plus a full time academic job, and I thought I could balance my time better. When posts/responses got to longer than a week, I knew I was in trouble. I thought I could keep up with things, but as I have learned from playing in previous pbp games, when the lag gets too great, things end up becoming spotty at best.

I hope you all will forgive me. I know this started with the greatest of promises, and hopes, back in the fall, and to effectively get through less than one day, well that is a shame, and entirely my fault. At some point in 6 months or a year, I would love to try again, but I think its only fair to you as players to give you a chance to respond, and for me to apologize to all of you for this lack of judgment on how much free time I have in reality.

Thank you for your patience and for giving this a shot,

Matt
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Totally understood, Matt. I hope you'll be able to revive it in the future. Please let me know if you do.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Damn you real world, damn you all to hell.

No worries Matt real world does have that nasty habit of interfering with gaming plans - please notify me when you are ready to start up again.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Damn you real world, damn you all to hell.

No worries Matt real world does have that nasty habit of interfering with gaming plans - please notify me when you are ready to start up again.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Totally understand. If I'm honest, I was finding it difficult to find the time to make my posts meaningful ( :oops: ) but please let me know when you re-commence.

Cheers,

Phil.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I understand too. Let me know when you're ready to shelve the game, and I'll move it to the Graveyard. When you're ready to pick it up again, just let me know. I'll move it back from the Graveyard, and I'll be eager to resume playing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
markh
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 6 months